*Revised* Please read Hydrophobic's Read Me on ASMR first. ====================================================== Author's Ranting: I was going through my list of favorite fanfics deciding on whether I wanted to read something I already liked or find something new, when a thought leaped out and smacked me in the head. Ricocheting off of my head, it landed on my computer desk looking curiously like a pencil sharpener. And then it spoke. Author's Thought: There are not enough stories about the little people! Author's Ranting: And that little thought that looked curiously like a pencil sharpener was right. And so I set out to tell the story of a morning in the life of a Tokyo pedestrian. And no, the author is _not_ crazy... At least she doesn't think so. Disclaimer: I did not create Sailor Moon and it's characters. Now, the unfortunate pedestrian featured in the story... I _did_ create him. He's MINE!! A Morning In the Life of a Tokyo Pedestrian (G) by Christina Anton (daylin@sailorsenshi.i-p.com) aka Hydrophobic http://angelfire.com/anime2/dayanjell/antons/home.html ====================================================== pedestrian (peh-dess-tree-an) n. : A walker; one traveling on foot.--pedestrian adj. : Mediocre; plodding. From "The Grosset Webster Dictionary" The man is, by all standards, a normal citizen of Tokyo, Japan. He has a perfectly normal wife and two perfectly normal children, both of which are boys of the ages of twelve and fourteen. And, each is a normal citizen of Tokyo, Japan. The man loves his, by all Tokyo standards, normal wife and children. He has a job working at a law firm in Juuban, which is where he lives. He only has a twenty minute walk between his home and his job, but normally takes one of the many buses that travel around the very large and bustling city of Tokyo. But, today, he has awoken in a good mood with plenty of time to take a nice morning walk along the sidewalks of the tenth district. And, the second he sets foot on the sidewalk, he becomes a pedestrian. Pedestrians are a very common thing in any city. There are three general types of pedestrians: the morning pedestrians, the afternoon pedestrians, and the evening pedestrians. The man that we are following is quite obviously a morning pedestrian. Morning pedestrians consist of the early morning joggers, students walking (and sometimes screaming) their way to their respective schools, and, of course, people going to work. But there is nothing quite like a _Tokyo_ morning pedestrian, or even just a Tokyo pedestrian in general. You see, Tokyo is a strange city. It has been plagued by all sorts of monsters and strange events for a good length of time. And, every citizen living in Tokyo knows this, even if they can't say exactly what has happened. But, no pedestrian in Tokyo knows this quite as well as a Juuban pedestrian. Juuban is the area that would be known as ground zero if it were a publicly known and acknowledged warzone. But, it is not acknowledged as a warzone because most in the area choose to ignore it for the sake of their own sanity. Our male, morning pedestrian is one of these people. At the moment, our pedestrian is five minutes into his walk to his job. Even now, he is unconsciously dodging all of the dangers of being in a city: waiting that extra second to look for speeding cars before crossing the street, instinctively taking a step to his left as a blonde-haired girl sprints past him wailing, "I'M LAAAATE!!!" and even stepping over a crack-riddled hole in the sidewalk that others in the area could tell him hadn't been there the day before. It is just one of those strange things that happen in Tokyo. If a professional psychologist were to do a study on the mannerisms of citizens in different cities around the world, they would find that the citizens of Tokyo have the best sense of danger of all of them. But who wouldn't when they constantly have to avoid areas where girls in sailor fuku battle monsters in the streets? But, it seems that today, our pedestrian's danger sense has failed him. Instead of taking the bus, which would have kept him relatively safe, he has chosen to walk the streets that are prone to attack. Right now, other pedestrians doing their business on the sidewalks are unconsciously listening to their Juuban-enhanced danger sense and are finding other things to do in any other area but there. Unfortunately, some of them cannot get away fast enough, including the pedestrian we are currently observing. A squeal of tires pierces the air, and car horns blast as a car with a black star painted on the side skids to a stop in the middle of the street. Our pedestrian with two kids and a loving wife has stopped along with a few other pedestrians to rubberneck and wonder 'what the hell is going on?' It is just for a moment, and that is all that is needed for all hell to break loose. A red-haired woman steps from the car, wielding an odd looking gun, and points it at one of the previously jogging pedestrians. One second she is gawking like the rest, and the next, she is lying in the street just two meters from our pedestrian. An odd looking crystal is floating just above the ground near her, but no one is looking at that anymore. Because, at the moment, a chain-link fence has just turned into a monster that, to our Tokyo pedestrian, looks like a demon from the lowest bowels of hell. Our pedestrian is a smart pedestrian, so he looks for a place to duck and cover lest he become snared in a chain-link net like some of his other pedestrian brethren. Unfortunately, he trips over the body of the unconscious jogging pedestrian. The fence-turned-demon turns towards him as his briefcase clatters to the ground. He hears a high-pitched, sharp voice call, "Chaina! Get the heart crystal!" and his rapidly beating heart speeds up another notch. Only about 1.4 percent of the residents of Tokyo have ever personally gotten involved in a monster attack, and our perfectly normal Tokyo pedestrian is now one of them. And, he's currently cursing his bad judgment in deciding to walk instead of take the bus. Before he or the monster can do anything, he hears another voice call out: "Hey, you! How dare you disturb this wonderful morning! I, bishoujo senshi Sailor Moon, will punish you for making students even later for school!" Our pedestrian cannot help but feel grateful that the sailor suited soldier for justice has provided a distraction so he can haul his butt out of the soon to be battle zone. Hiding in an arcade that he does not know the name of, our pedestrian watches the battle from the large window in the front of the arcade. He feels much better being out of the sight of the psycho with a car and the demon thing. The only movement outside is that of girls in sailor fuku that have just joined the fray, and a fence-demon from hell. All of the cars in the road have been abandoned or have had their drivers netted by the monster. All of the pedestrians that have not been caught have long since run for cover. It only takes roughly four minutes for the Sailor Senshi to defeat the demon. They talk for a moment with two other girls in fuku much like theirs, and then jump onto a roof ten meters above their heads, bounding off out of sight. Our pedestrian is thanking Furuhata Motoki for the shelter of his arcade. He goes outside to get his fallen briefcase, and then goes on his way, just like everyone else has after the violent display. _This_ is normal for the residents of Tokyo, whether they be a driver, an arcade manager, or a pedestrian. By all standards, our pedestrian with a wife and two kids is a normal citizen of Tokyo, Japan. And, this morning, he was a normal pedestrian in the Juuban district of Tokyo. And, even though our dear pedestrian has just seen something that will stay with him forever, he is still a normal citizen of Tokyo, Japan. "Are you having a nice morning, Noomaru-san?" the secretary at the front desk asks him as he makes his way to his office. He stops for a moment, thinking about what has happened. Noomaru Hokousha nods to himself and replies, "I've had a normal morning so far, thank you." He smiles and goes to his office. End Did that thought that looked like a pencil sharpener have a good idea? I hope you readers got the point of this story, because I don't think I can explain it any better than with the story itself. Did that make sense? Bah, blame the pencil sharpener. If you have any questions about the story, or just want to praise me on a job well done, then email me. 7/18/01 Revised: 7/18/02 (woah, who knew?)