~ CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE TONIGHT ~

 

There’s a calm surrender

To the rush of day

When the heat of the rolling world

Can be turned away

An enchanted moment

And it sees me through

It’s enough for this restless warrior

Just to be with you

Van stared across the field as the object of his affections talking animatedly with her friends, walking parallel to him and yet not noticing him. It wasn’t surprising. Ever since he’d figured out how to travel to the Mystic Moon – which the help of the necklace Hitomi had given him as a momento – Van had visited her several times, and each time, Hitomi Kanzaki had never known he was there.

That was going to change.

And can you feel the love tonight?

It is where we are

It’s enough for this wide-eyed wanderer

That we got this far

And can you feel the love tonight

How it’s laid to rest?

It’s enough to make kings and vagabonds

Believe the very best

He stepped away from the tree that had been serving as a shadowed cover and began walking in her direction. Before he was halfway to her, Hitomi’s two friends waved good-bye and headed for the exit of the park, as they did almost everyday. Van knew what would happen next. Hitomi would wait until they were out of sight, then lose her cheerful expression and look as lost and helpless as Van himself felt when he thought about her.

Ten feet away, he stopped. "Hitomi."

There’s a time for everyone

If they only learn That the twisting kaleidoscope

Moves us all in turn

There’s a rhyme and reason

To the wild outdoors

When the heart of this star-crossed voyager

Beats in time with yours

No, it can’t be, Hitomi thought as she heard the deep, familiar voice speak her name. Can it? Barely daring to hope, she turned around the see her visitor.

And there he was. Standing there, looking every inch the King of Fanelia, and yet still looking like the teenage boy that she had fallen in love with two years before. "Van," Hitomi whispered, staring at him in shock. "Is it . . . how . . .?"

Van smiled and took a step towards her. "Later," he promised. "But right now, I have to ask you a question."

"A question?"

He took another step and looked down at her. He was at least a head taller. "Come with me," he whispered. "Come back to Fanelia."

And can you feel the love tonight?

It is where we are

It’s enough for this wide-eyed wanderer

That we got this far

And can you feel the love tonight

How it’s laid to rest?

It’s enough to make kings and vagabonds

Believe the very best

Hitomi stared up at him. How many times have I dreamed of hearing those words? she wondered. But it didn’t matter, and she knew it. "Yes," she whispered back. "Yes."

Van pulled her into a tight embrace and stroked her hair gently. "I love you, Hitomi," he said.

"Just shut up and kiss me," she said, throwing her arms around his neck.

Van was only too happy to oblige.

It’s enough to make kings and vagabonds

Believe the very best