Disclaimer: The Massachusetts Academy belongs to Marvel, the others belong to me. "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" belongs to Elton John, and I'm getting paid for none of this, so don't sue me. (It'd probably be more trouble than it's worth, really...)

Author's Note: So it's been done. Who cares? Not me. I do, however, give Lori full credit for the inspiration, thanks to her "Music in the Key of X" series, else this story would have sat in the back of my mind and stagnated from now 'til eternity. ;)

BTW: This has no place in the continuity of my First Contact quadrology... or not yet, anyway. If you haven't read the story, you'll probably be rather confused throughout, but suffice to say that Dawn and Glenn are two young mutants who sorely deserve to be cut some slack considering what I've done to both of 'em in my time. This is just for fun, remember, so don't flame me too bad. If you decide to write me or want to archive my stuff, my address is malfam@inlink.com and I'd be only too happy to hear from you!


Dusk Requiem
By Tapestry


Dawn stretched her wings towards the setting sun. The air was crisp and cool, the sky lightly dotted with puffy clouds, which caught the fading sunlight of the crimson orb that hung near the horizon. She felt the wind streaming through her hair, caressing her wings, sweeping her worries from her soul. The trees whispered to each other, sharing their secrets with the aid of the breeze, and a few forlorn crickets chirped far below her. The atmosphere would have been preternaturally serene if not for the radio set in her windowsill, blaring music.

With the liquid grace of a dancer, Dawn flowed through the air like an ethereal ribbon of silver and sapphire, like a swimmer in her element. Her wings pumped at her sides, easily supporting her slight weight, face a mask of relaxed concentration. Flying was second nature to her now, and feeling the air currents on her skin, smelling the sweet scents the wind carried from miles away. All thoughts of demons, gods, alternate dimensions and alien invasions washed away from her consciousness, leaving peace in its wake. Dawn was happy here as she was nowhere else, and she intended to make full use of this rare moment of calm at the Massachusetts Academy.

From his window ledge at the other end of the near-silent campus, Glenn saw his love flying in an intricate aerial dance like grace personified. A smile curved his lips as he saw her spinning in mid-air, much akin to a top, then begin spiraling upwards with slow, purposeful wingstrokes. Simply looking at the expression of pure, simple love on his face would have dispelled the doubts of even the most stubborn of cynics as he gazed at her lithe body as she twisted through an imaginary obstacle course, long hair of cyan and ivory streaming behind her. He wondered if she would mind any company.

She whirled again, as carefree and casual as a leaf on the breeze, and her body was silhouetted in the dying light of the setting sun. It splashed off of her shimmering wings, sending sprays of gold across the sky as a snatch of a tune became audible in the distance.

"There's a calm surrender
To the rush of day
When the heat of the rolling world
Can be turned away"

Glenn wavered uncertainly, one leg draping over the sill as he thumped it idly against the old brick of the building, his back supported by the wall. Should he join her? Or did she want privacy?

"An enchanted moment
And it sees me through
It's enough for this restless warrior
Just to be with you."

He shifted his weight, then abruptly launched himself over the edge and into the air. The wind tossed his dark hair playfully, pressing his clothing to his body as he flew without a moment of hesitation towards his soulmate.

Dawn saw Glenn approaching her from afar, and her eyebrows raised in pleased surprise. He had been watching her? Why hadn't he come over earlier, then? He was always welcome where she was concerned. She touched his mind briefly, sending a thrill of welcome through their telepathic link, inviting him closer.

"And can you feel the love tonight?
It is where we are
It's enough for this wide-eyed wanderer
That we got this far"

Glenn slowed his approach, stopping a few feet from where she hovered, guileless brown eyes staring straight into her gentle blue. Now words passed between them, and for a moment the only hint of movement was when the wind stirred their hair and clothing.

"And can you feel the love tonight
How it's laid to rest?
It's enough to make kings and vagabonds
Believe the very best."

Then they began to move again, this time as one. Dawn smiled impishly, then dove earthwards, Glenn close on her heels. She pulled up just before they hit the drying, brown lawn, timing it close enough that the tips of her shoes just barely scraped the lawn, sending little puffs of dead grass into the air.

"There's a time for everyone
If they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope
Moves us all in turn."

Glenn followed her, close enough to touch her ankles, mirroring her actions and grinning like a child. She performed a barrel roll in the air, which he echoed, not looking quite so impressive without her huge wings to add to the effect. And the mock-chase continued.

"There's a rhyme and reason
To the wild outdoors
When the heart of this star-crossed voyager
Beats in time with yours."

Dawn led him to the lake, flying barely over the surface. She dipped her fingers into the flawless surface, spraying crystalline drops right into her friend's face, laughing like a child. Glenn let out an undignified yelp of protest as she pulled away, giggling uncontrollably as she sped towards the heavens.

"And can you feel the love tonight?
It is where we are
It's enough for this wide-eyed wanderer
That we got this far"

Glenn wiped his face and flew after her, a roguish grin on his face. They drew up even, and Dawn turned to him, an expression of mock astonishment on her face. She extended a wing towards him, close enough to it seemed to caress his cheek lovingly for a heartbeat. Glenn's grin softened, and he suddenly ducked beneath her and emerged on her immediate left, hair still hanging damply in his eyes from the soaking she had given him. He reached out and caught her left wrist in his hand, pulling her close.

"And can you feel the love tonight
How it's laid to rest?
It's enough to make kings and vagabonds
Believe the very best."

He drew her in close and wrapped his arms around her waist, gently brushing his lips to her's. Dawn's surprise turned quickly to affection, and she returned his kiss, just as softly. For an instant time seemed to slow, then stop completely as the two young lovers hung in mid-air, picture perfect, framed by the final rays of light that spilled over the horizon.

"It's enough to make kings and vagabonds
Believe the very best."