DISCLAIMER: Characters not mine. Universe not mine. The story IS mine, so don't archive it without permission or I'll set my pack of Summerses on you. Even if they get into a fight with each other first and don't kill you, you'll never get the angst-stains out of your clothes.

NOTES: Rather AU. I wrote this while under the influence of a genetics exam and Mel told me to post it, so I accept no responsibility. I'm just gonna go to bed and sleep off the coke.


Saying Goodbye
By Diamonde


You know, I would have liked a lot more warning for this. I'm not good at spontaneous goodbyes, ask Lorna. I tend to leave notes. Short ones. If you're lucky my handwriting is actually readable. But in this case that's not really appropriate, is it? Besides, you can't read it anyway.

They didn't break it to me gently, either. I thought I was doing so well, bouncing back in from the alternate dimension, figured I'd give everyone a nice (well, most people would have thought it was nice) surprise by not being dead. Everyone'd all fawn over me for a little while and make me feel cute, you know how it goes.

But no... turns out while I was away my big bro did the same thing as I did. He died, then came back. But came back in not as spiffy condition as I did. Being possessed by Apocalypse puts a lot of stress on the body, they tell me. Especially if the possession goes away again. Still haven't had someone explain that to me properly, by the way.

It was still a crappy way to come back, though. First time anyone sees me it's not "Alex! You're alive, you gorgeous piece of Summers you! Have a drink on me!" No. Instead Beast grabs me and says "Alex, your brother needs you. Or, more specifically, he needs your kidney. Can he have it?"

Okay, I admit, I was a bit surprised so my response was hardly... um, sympathetic. I just looked stunned and said "What, now?" Hank glared at me and said "No, tomorrow afternoon." Once we got all that sorted I said yes, of course. He's my brother, of course he can have my kidney if he needs it. Still don't see why they couldn't have taken Nate Grey's kidney, though.

Yes, that's was selfish of me. When I'm in the same room as Scott the thought never even crosses my mind, I'm allready to throw myself on the operating table and have you removed as quickly as possible. He looks so bad... but I'm still used to having two of you guys.

I'm going to miss you, little buddy. But I know you'll probably be happier over there, as long as Scott doesn't cruelly reject you. He won't try to outdrink Wolverine or live on coffee for a day and a half and upset you, he's one of those healthy types who actually pays attention to you even when you're not leaving. Still, you've always served me well and I don't want you to think I don't appreciate it.

Don't feel sorry for me, either. I may be losing you, but I made a deal. Scott gets you, and I get some of his liver when I've used mine up. He was laughing when he agreed, but I plan on holding him to it. If there's one thing I've learned from this, it's that you should keep your family close (because they're sneaky and you never know what they'll get up to) and the ones that have compatible tissue types even closer.

What, I'm not allowed to make tasteless jokes, Hank? Everyone makes tasteless jokes about my family, I don't see why I shouldn't get to when it's my damn family. Yes, I AM finished saying goodbye to my kidney now. Don't look at me like it was stupid, I'm not about to take that kind of thing from a guy who names his-

No, we DON'T all name them. It's a myth. I certainly never named mine.

Why not? What do you mean why not? They're slippers, it's not like they're going to come when you call.

Yes, I did name that, not that it's any of your business.

Yes, that is bloody different! For a start it's alive, and giving it a name irritated Lorna.

No. Some things are private.

Alright, alright. Stop being so pushy.

Ninety-nine, ninety-eight, ninet...


~End~