The Real Adventures Of Jonny Quest
Insanity's Edge-17/?
By Schmitt Van Dean (aka Bronze Love God)

Disclaimer: Well, since none of the Quests are in this one, you can't sue me. Heh, I can finally say CN sucks. Oh, damn, that's Jonny's name at the top isn't it. Oh, well, please don't sue me HB and CN. Though technically you're not allowed to read any of this for legal reasons anyway. I'm making no money off this, (or anything else for that matter.) and Jonny Quest is owned by the God-like HB. Look, if you and CN can't be bothered to renew the show, then sell the bloody licence to someone who will. (not to FUNimation, please. They bite more than CN does. Only kidding, CN. You'd crush my young little life if you sued me now. But FUNimation still sucks. 'Specially since they can't sue me at all.)

Thanks loads to Becks for Beta reading this for me, and for convincing me to do one more part.

If anyone's missed the rest of the fic, E-mail me privately and it's yours.

Archivers: Suze and Aspen are welcome to it, of course. Everyone else ask and it's yours.

Categories: Angst, mature language, violence, HR.

Summary: Flashback! Barone mansion, two years ago....(wavey lines)
***********************************************************************
Claire lay concealed in the hedgerow, her eyes scanning the pale cream walls of the mansion, taking in the darkened windows that ran vertically down the building. There was no sign of security cameras on the outside, but Barone was a clever man. Getting in here had not been easy, and she severely doubted anyone else had gotten in here alive.

She grinned with relief as she felt a change in the air.

*Okay, other than him.*

"Hey, Davis."

The man behind her laid his hand on her back, trailing his fingers down her spine. She giggled, eliciting a wicked grin from Davis.

"Claire, I thought we knew each other better than that."

She slapped him playfully on the arm; ignoring the danger they were both in.

"Fine, *Mark.*"

Then her tone suddenly turned serious. "Any ideas on how we're going to get in there?" She indicated the mansion.

He leaned closer, until they were almost touching. She could feel his breath against her lips. "Mmm....One or two."

He grinned against her lips. Without checking for security measures, he suddenly straightened, sprinting across the pathway to the mansion. Claire paused, stunned. Shaking her head, she smiled, and then heaved herself off the ground to follow.
***********************************************************************
David Barone smiled. He was laying languidly in his bed, the woman beside him snuggling closer. The nearby window cast a square patch of light on her face, highlighting her features. Her soft blond hair cascaded over her darkly tanned shoulders, her eyes closed. Her mouth formed a vague smile; she was content just listening to his heartbeat. He smiled as his eyes continued down her body, the silk gown doing nothing to hide her figure. As he watched her, Barone realized he loved this woman more than anything in the world. He would die for her.

The sudden ringing of the phone made him jump. Cursing, he reached for it, the woman raising herself on her elbow silently. Her eyes searched his face, a slight worry pervading her otherwise perfect features. He avoided her look.

He listened intently to the man on the other end of the line. After a moment he frowned and hung up.

She was still looking at him.

"Work?"

He continued to avoid her eyes as he stood, pulling on a pair of tight black jeans.

"Yeah. Look...Marie...I'm…," he finally held her gaze. "...I'm sorry. I've got to go."

Marie sat up, her eyes never leaving his face.

"I want you out of this. Everyday you go out there. Everyday I expect some...some lackey to come in here and tell me you're dead."

His frown deepened as he pulled on a shirt, frantically doing up the buttons. "You know that's not possible. I'm in too deep to back out now."

She grabbed his hand. "David, please. There must be some way...you've disappeared before. We could just leave. You're smart. We could get out of here, I know it."

He looked deeply into her soft hazel eyes, not saying a word.

Her eyes were pleading. It was all he could to not resist. Marie ran her hand down his arm. "We have Christine to think about, too. I don't want her to be brought into this."

David closed his eyes. No, he couldn't bring her into this.

"David, I love you. I couldn't bear it if anything were to happen..."

Cupping her chin, he leaned closer and kissed her. After a few moments he noticed she hadn't responded. Pulling away, he saw the sadness in her eyes.

"David, please. I'm scared. I want you out of this....business."

Smiling, he took her hand. His wedding band glancing off hers. It slowly dawned on him that his wife and daughter were the most important things in his life. He suddenly didn't care about the money. For the first time in his life, he was happy.

"We'll be out of the country by tomorrow." He smiled warmly. "I could never let anything happen to you."

She pulled him closer, kissing him passionately. There was a knock at the door, causing both of them to break away out of reflex.

"Yes?"

A seven year old girl entered. She shook her head clear of raven dark bangs, a habit learned off her father. "Daddy? Mommy?"

David frowned. He was never going to get used to this.

"What is it Sweetie?" Marie said as she smiled at her daughter.

"I'm thirsty." The girl said simply.

There was a momentary silence before Marie playfully jabbed her elbow in her husband's stomach.

"Oh, right. I'll get it." He was still a little put off by the fact that he now had to do....things. Normally he would have called a butler, but he felt an odd kind of responsibility towards his daughter.

Taking her by the hand, he lead her out the door, pausing to mouth "I love you" at Marie.

In a sudden shower of glass, the window exploded inwards. The man that came through was well built, wearing the tight fitting black bodysuit I-1 was becoming famous for. David’s eyes barely had time to register the gun in the man's hand.

"Put your hands on your head!" Mark took a step forward.

David's mind raced. He had seen I-1 operate before. If he didn't act quickly, this man would kill all of them, regardless of their following his instruction or not.

"Put your hands on your head! I'm not going to ask again!"

He looked at his wife. Her eyes pleaded with him. She knew she was already as good as dead, and he knew what she was asking. He forced himself to act.

Placing one arm across his daughter, he sprang sideways, sweeping her out of the doorway. Using the momentum, he swung his other arm across her, lifting her against his chest.

There was an angry curse from Mark, now hidden from view. David closed his eyes as he heard the expected gun shot. His daughter was struggling against him.

"Daddy, what's going on? What was that noise?"

He forced back the lump in his throat. Reaching the stairs, he grabbed the railing, swinging himself over the banister, still holding Christine and landed heavily on his feet. There was no time to think, he was working off instinct alone. Some distant part of his mind felt a sharp searing pain in his shoulder. David ran through the open door into the family room, and placed Christine on the floor. He started grabbing at the handle on the set of drawers. Pulling it out, he grabbed the handgun inside.

He then opened the door to the servants passage-way which led to the kitchen door, located behind him. “Christine,” David said, “I need you to do something for Daddy. I need you to go and wait for me by the kitchen door, OK?”

“OK.”
***********************************************************************
Mark slid down the banister, grinning. For a while he had thought this would be too easy.

*Thank God he's an evil *Genius.**

Landing lightly on his feet, he paused. Barone was well known for his intelligence, and Mark's next move was probably already figured out. He could enter through the door, or find another way in. Either way, Barone had probably predicted his actions. He felt Claire appear beside him.

"What's up? Afraid?"

He gave her his wicked grin before springing through the open doorway.
***********************************************************************
David felt an overwhelming grief at the back of his mind. He fought it back. His daughter needed him right now.

The black suited figure sprang through the door. David leveled his gun at the man's head.

"Revenge. Great thing, isn't it?"

Mark's eyes widened as he realized he was about to die. He didn't hear the shot which killed him, his lifeless body falling backwards. He didn't feel Claire catch him, or hear her cry as she realized he was dead.

Claire looked up, realizing that Barone was still armed and in the room. She'd make him pay...

Barone was nowhere to be seen.
***********************************************************************
David dropped the gun. He allowed the horror of his wife's death finally overtake him. He barely felt the small tug on his hand. All he could hear was the crack of the gun as his wife died...he kicked his own gun away in revulsion.

Christine tugged his hand again.

"Where's mommy?"

Tears were flowing freely. He pulled his daughter closer, unable to admit to her or himself that Marie was actually gone.

"She'll be coming home soon. I promise."
***********************************************************************
Comments? Suggestions? Flames? Praise? Send 'em all to SchmittVanDean@hotmail.com
Anyone see this coming? What, all of you? Oh, for Pete's sake...and I wasted so much lovey-dovey HR rubbish in this too....

I doubt very much I'll work up the nerve to do that much romance stuff ever again. Man, it was almost painful writing some of that. That whole David/Marie scene....gah!

This part was centered more on my crazy made up characters. Just felt a few things needed clarifying, is all...next up's the Epilogue!

Tip For The Day: Never, ever call yourself Bronze Love God when you're on the web. The E-mails I've gotten....

And that's only from friends of mine. ;)

-Schmitt.

*********************
Learn from yesterday,
live for today, hope for
tomorrow.
-Anon
*********************
Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!