Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Introducing Jessie

By Indus
naurmohd@aol.com
 
 

Jessie comes to stay with the Quests.

 

Rating: G

Disclaimer: The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, it’s characters and story lines are owned by Hanna Barbera and/or Warner Brothers. No copyright infringement was intended. Original people created by me are open to all.
 
 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

"They’re here!" Jonny yelled. He ran down the stairs, with his foster brother Hadji following more sedately. His father walked out of the kitchen, rubbing his head nervously.

Race had been with their family for over three years now, but this was the first time he was bringing his daughter to meet them. For security reasons, he didn’t even display pictures of her and usually spent a week every few months visiting her somewhere out of the country. His ex-wife, Dr. Velasquez, was a renowned archeologist and she had full custody of their only child. It had taken several months for Race to even mention the fact that he had a daughter, and over a year before he would tell them details like the fact that she was only a few months older than Benton’s son Jonny. And now he was actually sharing joint custody of Jessie Bannon. After three years he had determined that the threat at the house was almost negligible if he wanted to bring her to stay for the summer. Then he had gone to see his daughter, and realized that at almost eleven she was a little person in her own right and he didn’t know that person at all. Despite their problems, Estella Velasquez was a rational woman and she wanted her daughter to know her own father, so she had suggested joint custody. Race offered his resignation to Benton and suggested working as a consultant, but instead the Doctor hit on the idea of Race living with his daughter in the house. That way, there would be one sitter for all three children during their trips and a female influence in a home that had been missing it since Rachel Quest had died three years after the birth of her son.

So now, after almost a year of sorting through paperwork and finding out information about schools, Race was bringing his little girl, and Dr. Quest was nervous like he hadn’t been giving a presentation in front of the UN about global warming. If Jessie wasn’t satisfied, Benton would lose Race, who had already become a brother to him and a second father to the two boys. Without Race, the Quest family would be vulnerable, and heartbroken.

Race opened the door with his own key, and then solemnly held out a copy of it to his eleven and a half year-old daughter. "This is yours. You have to guard it very carefully. I will upgrade security to include you later today, ok?"

"Yes sir," the girl answered quietly. If he had known her better, he would have seen that she was close to the edge. Her life was spinning out of control for the second time, but she was not the type of person to throw a tantrum. Then they were in, and she got her first look at the inhabitants of the complex.

She saw two boys, one blond and the other Indian, and a red-haired older man. From what her father had told her, and what she had gleamed off the Internet, Jonny Quest was a few months younger than her and Hadji was about two years older than his foster brother, while Dr. Quest was several years older than her white-blond haired 33 year old father. Moreover, Dr. Quest was a brilliant scientist, and Jessie was already capable of understanding some of his work better than his adult associates. Her father was unaware of what her mother barely understood; Jessie was a genius. But she was also a normal kid, and she was happy to see two kids her age that looked they’d be fun. And one of them was holding a little puppy that her father had said was name Bandit. She wasn’t sure yet if she liked them, but her mind wasn’t clear since the plane took off. At that moment she had realized that it would be weeks before she’d see her mother, and the father that was no more than a special playmate for over five years would now be her primary caregiver. But she smiled at the Quests and tried to like them. She wasn’t sure if her father would choose her over them, and while she’d be happy to return to her mother, she didn’t want to deal with the rejection if he chose them. After all, when he visited, he couldn’t shut up about them. So she tried to be friendly, but she wasn’t even conscious of her own resentment.

Jonny was completely ignorant of any bad feelings. He wasn’t old enough to see her absolute beauty, but he did recognize that she was like no one he had ever met. Firstly, she was tall, and her body showed the skill in martial arts that her father had boasted about. Then there was her flaming red hair, which almost crackled with life, framing witchy green eyes. Her skin looked translucent, and despite his immaturity some part of his heart suddenly awoke. A thought appeared in his mind, and though it was tiny and obscure he never forgot the shiver of recognition. This girl will leave a lasting impression on you, Jonny Quest.

At the time, all he saw was someone who would probably join in the pranks and daredevil stunts he pulled, instead of trying to talk him out of it like Hadji. Race had already warned him that Jessie liked to study, but at the same time she loved to learn how to fight, so he figured she would be fit well in between Hadji and him.

Hadji, also saw much of the same thing. He immediately felt the connection of friendship, and realized this girl might someday mean as much as his brother. In tune with his spiritual side, Hadji also knew that Jessie and Jonny would someday be each other’s destiny.

The eldest and wisest person present could not see the future, but he could analyze the present. His heart relaxed as he saw that Jessie would give them a generously fair chance, but it also ached at what she was obviously, to him, suffering. Benton knew that she would soon be a part of the family, but first Race would have to become a full-time father.

Bandit was easy, and he instantly recognized a dog-friendly person. He leaped at the girl, who laughed and caught him. Her laugh broke the silence, and the tension. Race introduced her to the Quests, and she, arms full of wriggling puppy, shyly greeted them.
 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

"Whoa!" Jonny said, throwing himself down on the couch beside his father and Race.

"What’s up, son?"

"Dad, Jessie is a genius with Questworld. We introduced her to it three days ago and she just beat me at the deleting files program. She also told me she just got through reading her textbooks for next semester. I didn’t think you could be both a nerd and a slammin’ Questworld junkie." His blue eyes were clouded with confusion, and that pleased Benton. He didn’t want his son to put labels on people. But the Doctor was disappointed by Race’s shock to hear these things about his own daughter. He had seen a similar reaction from Jessie when Race had refused the sandwich she made him because he didn’t like Turkey. After that Jessie left the food preparation to Mrs. Evans, the housekeeper. She had also noticed that Jonny knew things about Race she couldn’t know.

"Dad?"

"Yes, Ponchita?"

"Can I call Mom? It’s been three days since we left."

"Jessie, she said to call once when we arrived, which we did, and then not call for a week to let you adjust. Give it four more days."

"I want to talk to her, please."

"Ponchita…"

Jessie turned around and walked out, but not before the people inside the room saw the tears in her eyes.

"Damn it!" Race said. He wanted her to adjust, but he was honest enough to admit that he was also jealous of the more powerful bond between mother and daughter. "What should I do?"

"Race, I would agree that talking to her mother might make her miss her more, but… she is a girl. This might be one of those women things."

Race looked horrified. He hadn’t realized how fast his little girl was growing up. One crisis was averted as he got up and allowed his girl to speak to her mother privately. Ten minutes later, she called him in. Estella wanted to speak to her ex-husband.

"Race, a girl needs a female influence."

"What do you suggest? I’m not seeing anyone permanently and I know she needs you but I need her too. And you were the one who said she needs me."

"Relax! I’m not asking you to bring her back, although I miss her terribly. I guess I’m experiencing what you have been feeling for years. I’m sorry. But the truth is you don’t know her and she can’t talk to you yet. She told me there’s a housekeeper."

"Yeah, she comes by for a few hours a day and stays over when the kids are alone. Her name is Mrs. Evans."

Give Jessie her number, and give it to me too. I need to speak to her. Now Race, don’t think about why she needs it and don’t embarrass the child. Is Mrs. Evans the type to help out a little girl?"

"Yeah, totally. And she loves Jessie already. She spoils her more than the boys, and we didn’t think that was possible."

"Good, now give the phone back to Jessie."
 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

A week after she came to the Quests, Jessie was working out with her father, Jonny and Hadji. Dr. Quest was also in the gym, going through some training exercises taught by Race. Race was taking turns teaching the kids a way to counter being flipped over the hip.

"Good job, Jonny. Now practice like Hadji. It’s your turn now, Jessie."

He moved to lightly flip her, but found himself on his back. Suddenly the gym became silent. They hadn’t seen anyone flip her father before.

"Where’d you learn that?" Race asked his daughter.

She looked nervous. She was afraid he wouldn’t like her showing him up in front of his ‘boss.’ Why is everyone staring at me? "Umm, you taught me the flip when I was seven."

"But where did you learn to counter it?"

All of a sudden, Jessie was angry. "I didn’t stop learning just because you weren’t there to teach me. You started teaching me when I was four and Mom continued while you were gone on your missions."

"I know that, but your Mom didn’t teach you that one."

"No, but I’ve been taking lessons. I’ve also been learning how to shoot."

"Excuse me?"

"Mom thought the places she takes me aren’t always safe. Besides, she said that as your daughter I would be dealing with a lot of dangerous people. She says that even though you quit the agency you’ll never be far from danger."

Race ran his hand through his hair. Estella was, as usual, right. "Who taught you?"

Jessie smiled. "Uncle Mort, of course." Some seed of resentment prompted her to add, "He’s like a second father to me. He’s my mom’s guide whenever we go to Egypt on digs, and she’s his when we go to Columbia."

"Columbia?" Jonny asked, while Race walked to the window and looked out at the rain.

"Yeah, my mother is Columbian. I love to go there, it’s my favorite place to be. Mom says that’s because I’ve spent the most time there. My parents and I lived there for four years and it’s been home base for my mom and me for the last three years. I guess it’s home."

Benton saw Race wince at those last four words. Defeat was obvious in the set of his shoulders, so Dr. Quest got rid of the kids and sat down to talk. "Race, she’s just an angry kid trying to get you."

"No, Benton. She’s a hurt kid, and she’s trying to show me how I’ve hurt her. And she’s right. I’ve missed a lot of her childhood even when Estella and I were married… And then since the divorce I’ve barely seen her at all. I mean, when Estella left me it was a wake-up call that my work was costing me my family, but for some reason I thought quitting was the answer, and forgot to actually spend time with my girl."

"I know how you feel. My work keeps me far from Jonny."

No it doesn’t. Sure you have to go for these three or four-day seminars and stuff, but you’re there most of the time. Your lab is always open and you know your son, Benton. You know both your sons. Me, I spent weeks and months away when I was trying to save the world. Then I got comfortable here and saw her for a few weeks out of an entire year. The thing is Benton… if I had asked three years ago to bring my daughter for half the year you would have said yes. But I didn’t, and now I have to rediscover her."

Benton sighed, but he knew Race was right.
 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

The next few weeks flew by. Jessie was getting settled in Maine, and in her home. The Quests loved her, and she and the boys were inseparable. Slowly, she got over her resentment as she realized her father was trying, and soon her hugs were spontaneous. Her phone calls to her mother became more out of habit than necessity and although that relationship remained strong, her father’s became comparable. Benton didn’t know when he started thinking of her as a daughter, but it was obvious when he was comfortable enough to reprimand her along with his sons, when they did something wrong. And he knew they were accepted the night he came down at 4am to work on an idea that had come to him suddenly, and found her in the kitchen, drinking hot chocolate. She didn’t apologize for using the kitchen, but just looked guilty for being up at that time. They sat talking about his work, and she offered some insight into his idea. With a start, Benton realized that she had just helped him more than his colleagues could have, and her idea was brilliant. More importantly, it could work! Laughing, he reached out to hug her, and she hugged back.
 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Some time later, Race was explaining his security system upgrades to Jessie. She and Jonny were the only ones who wanted to know how it worked more than just what it did. But while Jonny was always more interested in security gadgets, Jessie’s first love was the work Dr. Quest did in the lab. Still, she enjoyed learning about her father’s work.

As they toured the grounds, looking at the sensors and how they worked, Race took his daughter to a small shed.

"What’s this?"

"This is the a weapons bunker of sorts. There aren’t any heavy weapons or anything too dangerous since it’s so far away from the house and intruders could get to it first. It’s just got a few Quest gadgets and a communicator with the outside world. When I upgraded the system I put in a code for this place and made it a safe house of sorts. It locks up and goes underground if an intruder alert goes off, and can only be opened by the family in the lighthouse. I think that might be a problem since people might want to get out and fight, so I want to change the controls to in here. I have to set up the equipment here and then reprogram it at home."

"Can I see you set up?"

"I’d love that."

Father and daughter walked into the shed, and Race opened a small cupboard in the wall. At the back, covered with dust, was a small dial. He twisted it, and the floor moved until a corner folded to make stairs. Walking down, they ended up in an underground techno cavern.

"Oh no!" Race yelled. He had accidentally triggered an alarm. The ceiling above them closed, and they were alone in a small room without any windows, or any way out.

"Dad?"

"Ponchita, it’s ok. They’ll find us and get us out."

"Soon?"

"Very soon."

Hours passed. Race couldn’t activate his communicator since the room was shielding transmissions. He could use the homing beacon, but someone had to be looking at the program to find it. That meant that as soon as anyone looked for them, they would find them, but first they had to start looking. That could mean hours. Race was used to waiting that long, but he didn’t like scaring his daughter. He was surprised, however, to see her reaction when he explained the situation to her.

"I want to go home," she whimpered, sounding heart-breakingly young.

"Jessie, what’s the matter?" Race asked gently, knowing that there was more.

"Nothing," she answered shortly. But he wouldn’t let up, until she finally admitted that she had a problem with closed spaces.

"I didn’t realize that you were claustrophobic. Since when?"

"Since I was five, and we were at the Richards."

"The trip you and Mom took while I was… Estella didn’t mention anything happening then."

"I didn’t tell her until a couple of years ago when we were in a crypt and we started freaking."

"What happened?"

"When I started hyperventilating she asked what was wrong…"

"Jessie, stop being dumb. You know what I’m asking."

Sighing, she began to explain. The two Richards boys, Kevin and Tommy, thought it would be funny to shut her up in the priest’s hole in their old-fashioned home. They kept her in there for hours, scaring her with stories of what the small hiding place was used for many years ago. Moreover, they had prepared the trick with genius, and there were some Halloween decorations in there with her. Ghostly eyeballs, slimy worm-like things spread where she could touch them and sticky bloody splatters had all contributed to nightmares for years.

Hearing the story, Race was angrier than he had ever been before. He was also forced to realize what it would mean if something were ever to happen to his baby. But he forced the anger and protectiveness down and heard her tale until the end, when her crying had finally pushed the boys into releasing her. Then he sat down and held her, promising to always be there, making sure she knew how important she was to him. In those hours, Jessie and her father connected, forging a bond that would last for the rest of their lives. From then on, there would be moments when his relationship with Jonny would make her jealous, but she always knew that when it came to love she was the ultimate winner. She remembered all the times he had been there, and the past they shared with no one. His visits may have been short, but they consisted of trips to far-off places and all the time they needed. Now that they were living together, she would discover things about him the Quests’ already knew, and he would rediscover her. There would be conflict but it would be stormy, fierce and wild, not spiteful.

Within a few hours, they were found and released. The adventure didn’t cure Jessie of her claustrophobia, but it made it better so that she could hide it unless the circumstances were extreme. The only lasting effects were the creation of another family that was still a part of the Quests, the Bannon family.

The End