Chapter 4

Trunks had been walking through the forest, deciding not to fly just yet back home. He kicked a rock that had been on the ground softly and watched as it skittered into the bushes. He sighed, not sure how to convince Gemini to come home. Suddenly, he heard rustling leaves behind him and spun around instinctively. Automatically dropping into a fighting stance, a large wolf attacked him from behind.

"The hell?" he growled and tried to pry the enormous mass of him. Narrowly missing the swipe of the canine's paw he heard the sound of galloping followed by the voice of the rider.

"Duck!" she commanded. He did as he was told just in time to see a golden arrow cut through the air and pierce into the wolf, disintegrating it.

The rider jumped off their horse and pulled out their sword, attacking the remaining wolves. The moonlight shone through the trees and only now was Trunks able to tell that it was Gemini. The last wolf suddenly knocked her down and she landed on Trunks, taking him down with her. As she quickly tried to get up Trunks held onto her slightly fearing for her life.

"Let go!" she growled and pulled herself to her feet after he had loosened his grasp. She drove her sword into the gut of the beast and watched as it deteriorated into the ground.

"Hotiku," he started.

"Go home, Trunks," was all she said before hopping onto her horse and riding away. Trunks let out an exasperated sigh and began to fly back to Capsule Corp.

~*~

"Where did you go?" Link asked Gemini upon her arrival.

"Out," she snapped, still irritated with Trunks. As she brushed past Link, her walk was full of provocation. He grasped her arm and pulled her back.

"What happened out there?" he looked in her eyes as she narrowed them.

"I did my job," she stated.

"What innocent person did you go out there to save?" he asked.

There was a slight hesitation before she answered him, "Trunks."

"You what? I thought you hated him!"

"That doesn't mean I want him to die, Link!" she snapped.

"Gem, I'm sor-"

"What's the next temple or whatever we have to go to?" she changed the subject.

"Earth," he answered.

"All right then, let's get going," she turned to collect her weapons.

~*~

"She what!?" Miyako shouted, causing Trunks, along with the others in the room, to wince.

"She refused to come," he repeated.

"I don't believe this…" she huffed. "Alright, that's it!" She started heading for the door and grabbed her jacket on her way.

"Mi-chan, where are you going?" Goten asked, following after her.

"I'm going over there and bringing her back even if I have to drag her!"

"Well, then I'm coming with you," he stated firmly.

"So hurry up then, we don't want to be late!"

~*~

"What do you mean you're not going?!" Link shouted.

"I'm. Not. Going," she said slowly and sat down on a rock. They'd rode a few miles into the forest on their way to the Earth caver when Gemini suddenly stopped.

"Why the hell not?"

"Because, I'm tired of having to keep fighting over and over for something I don't even know why I'm fighting for it in the first place!"

"We're fighting for peace, isn't that enough?" he snapped.

"Of course it's enough!" she hissed. "But what's the point of peace when I'm not…" she stopped herself and crossed her arms. As she looked away frowning, she crossed one leg over the other. "What?" he asked her, kneeling down next to the rock she sat on.

"…happy," she finished.

"You don't like it here?"

"Baka, I love it here, but I'm not happy," she muttered.

"Are you saying you'll be happy back with Trunks?"

She growled and stood up, "I'd be worse off there! I need someone to be there for me all the time! That's why I'm not happy," she said and mounted Starlight, riding away from him.

"Gemini, wait!" he shouted after her. Growling in frustration his thoughts started to wander trying to figure out what she meant.

~*~

"Ugh, are we there yet?" Miyako whined.

"Hey, you're the one who wanted to come here in the first place!" Goten shouted over to her as they flew through the skies.

"Yeah, yeah, let's hurry up already!"

~*~

Gemini walked cautiously to the edge of the waterfall. She looked below to see the water crashing to the rocks below, the low roar of the river echoing around her. Using her optical lens, she quickly calculated how far the deep plunge was from the boulders.

At least those scientists were good for something… she thought bitterly and straightened her body. She remembered when Miyako taught her how to dive properly, rather Veronica. Bending her knees, she prepared to jump, taking one last look at the sight.

Closing her eyes, she pushed off the waterfall and took a breath as she submerged into the water. Once she surfaced, she threw her head back, whipping her hair from her face. She swam to the shore and lay down on the soft grass. She sighed and arbitrarily picked up a rock and threw it to the lake.

Watching as it skipped, she pointed at it and set the rock on fire, making a pattern appear on the water. It was hypnotic, but whimsical at the same time. She continued to do this several times until she realized she'd run out of rocks.

She sighed one more time and let herself drop onto her back, but the second she did this, she received another divination. Crying out in pain as she grasped her head she witnessed as Link walked down a dim lighted cave. A rusted gate rustled above him and pierced down into his body. She sat up in a cold sweat, breathing heavily.

"Baka, he wouldn't," she shook her head, "no, he would."

She stood quickly and climbed back up the waterfall and mounted on Starlight, riding off at top speed towards the Earth cavern.

~*~

Link pulled his sword out of the wedge in the wall after he'd destroyed the last bat. He held up a nearby torch and continued to walk as he managed to spot a hint of light. Walking towards it, he suddenly stopped in the doorway as he heard something rustling above him. He looked up to see a set of bars plunging down towards him.

Suddenly, a force knocked into him, sending him to the ground, away from the gate. He looked up to see Gemini sprawled on top of him, rubbing her head.

"You came," he whispered, getting to his feet.

"Of course I came," she hissed and tried to get up, only to fall back down with a cry of pain. She looked down to see her leg bleeding severely. The open wound was profound and the pain overwhelming.

"That looks pretty bad," he said, helping her over to a large boulder to sit on.

"Baka, no shit! The damn bar drove into my leg!" she snapped.

"What is your problem?!" he shouted.

"You want to know what my problem is? My problem is y-" she was interrupted when a large beast pounced on her.

"Gem!" Link ran to her side, but was cut off by another animal. They appeared to be large, blue wolves, but different from the usual ones they fought somehow. Gemini quickly rose to her feet, against all protests of her leg and unsheathed her sword.

Her eyes darted around the room to count four separate wolves. Just as one leapt at her, she twisted her arms around and sliced it in half. Another pounced on her and she turned to attack it, but was too late. The creature bared its teeth as it shifted its weight to its paws and pushed down on her chest, lessening her breath and suffocating her.

She tried to get up, but was knocked back down by the swiping paw of the beast. Her head fell back as a gash split open on her forehead. Struggling to stay awake, she faintly heard Link's yell followed by a slicing sound. The weight that was overpowering her, lifted as she felt Link wrap his arm around her waist and lift her up.

She placed her hand over her head wound and looked around the room to see that Link had destroyed the other wolves.

"God, let me see that," he removed her hand to see the lesion. He lightly touched the wound causing blood to ooze out. A trickle of blood flowed into her eye causing her to wince at the stinging sensation. "Sorry," he apologized.

Just as he finished wrapping a piece of his tunic around her forehead and leg, a rumbling was heard around them. The statues that were carved into the walls suddenly emerged from the rock. One came up from behind them and knocked Gemini to the other side of the room. She crashed into wall before falling in a heap on the ground. She slowly pushed herself up and touched her slit lip where it had come in contact with the rock.

"Gem, I need some help over here!" Link pleaded with her.

"I'm coming," she whispered hurriedly and quickly summoned her bow. Just as she was going to get up, she saw an inscription on the wall.

Morning, evening and midnight sky, the eye is where the power lies. She read to herself. Lifting an eyebrow in confusion, she stood and supported herself against the wall. Aiming at a statue, she glanced over at Link to see that his sword had shattered against a sculpture.

"Kuso, these aren't going to work," she said to herself. Then the shining red jewel in the middle of the statues forehead caught her eye. She squinted as she thought she'd seen something glimmer inside. She could barely make out what looked like an eye.

"Gem, what do we do!?"

Suddenly, the inscription came back to her, "the eye… shoot for the jewel!" she ordered and launched an arrow. Once it had imbedded itself inside of the jewel, the statue disintegrated into a pile of dust. They quickly followed in suit to destroy the remaining statues.

"We did it," Link breathed as he shot down the last statue. He looked over at Gemini who started to collapse. He ran over to her and caught her falling form before she hit the ground. He quickly ran towards the exit of the cave as it started to crumble.

~*~

"There!" Goten pointed to a small cave. Starlight and Epona were outside wasting time and waiting for their riders to return. Miyako and Goten flew down as Link ran out of the cave with Gemini in his arms.

"What did you do to her?" Miyako ran towards them.

"Who are you?" he demanded.

"Who are you?" Goten countered.

"Mi-chan?" Gemini whispered and looked over at them wearily.

"This is Miyako?" Link asked receiving a nod of recognition. He placed her gently on the ground and allowed them to tend to her. Miyako kneeled down beside her.

"You okay?" she asked.

"I've been better," Gemini smiled slightly.

"Goten," Miyako placed her hand behind her as he dropped a small leather pouch in her palm. She ripped the seam with her teeth and gave her two pill-like objects.

"What are those?" Link asked, trying to see what was going on.

"That's a senzu bean, it heals her," Miyako replied.

"Well, what was that other thing?" he asked.

"Don't ask," she laughed nervously. Slowly, but surely, Gemini stood up healed.

"Good, now that you're better we can go," Goten said and turned to take off in flight.

"No, I'm not going," she crossed her arms and stood firmly.

"But you have to, everyone misses you," Goten stated.

"Oh, well," she shrugged, "why don't you guys stay here? We have enough space, right, Link?"

"Uh…" Link stuttered.

"See?"

"Stop being a brat, Hotiku, and let's go!" he demanded.

"My name is Gemini and I'm not going anywhere!"

"Well, then, Gem, looks like we're staying," Miyako said simply.

"Nani?" both Gemini and Goten said.

"Aw, thank you, Mi-chan!" she hugged her.

"You're welcome," she smiled.

"Fine," Goten sighed.

"So do I get my own room or what?"