Stardom Comes with a Price

Prologue: Beginnings

Juuhachigou crossed her arms and turned away from her daughter. She knew this day would come, but she didn't think it would come so quickly. Not admitting it, she was afraid for her daughter, not wanting her to leave and have to face the cruel world on her own.

"Mama, please don't ignore me!" her pleas came piercing through her skull as she shut her eyes and frowned. She couldn't stand to see her in pain, but she couldn't help it. What was she supposed to do, sit back and watch as her only child went off to another country, deserting her, and starting a life without her?

"Why, Marron? Why this, why can't you be a doctor or a lawyer?" she asked her, still not quite understanding why she'd chosen this specific career.

"You know this has been my dream since I was a kid. If I don't go now then I'll never be able to even come close to fulfilling my dream. You and Papa never put me through classes for this, you always thought my valuable studying time couldn't be spared for it. But now I have a chance to start before it's too late. Mama, I have to do this, don't worry about me I'll be fine. I'll never forget you," she smiled despite the stinging sensation in her eyes while she fought to keep her tears back.

A few minutes of silence went by before Juuhachigou answered her, "promise you'll keep in touch?"

Marron smiled and threw herself at her mother, wrapping her arms around her neck, "I promise."

~*~

"This is it, last call for my flight," she sniffed, staring at the floor, not wanting to keep eye contact with her family and friends in fear that she'll have regrets. The last thing she wanted on her mind was regret to reach for her life goals.

"We'll miss you," Juuhachigou whispered in her ear as she hugged her. Releasing her mother, Marron turned and walked towards the plane, suitcase in hand. Looking over her shoulder, she flashed everyone a smile before disappearing down the corridor.

"She did it," Krillin sighed. "She's finally going to become a star."