Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Previously on Grey Lines:

Spike and Xander quickly recommence their usual banter. Dawn wakes up alone, neither Willow nor Buffy are home. She finds a note from the witch, explaining why she left home so early, but has no news from her sister. More Spike and Xander banter. Willow comes home and worries when she finds out that they haven’t had news from Buffy for nearly two days, however, she tries to hide this from Dawn, calling Giles instead. While Giles and Willow duel on Buffy’s whereabouts, Dawn walks in and demands an explanation. Willow tries to tell her about what happen the other night, but is interrupted when Spike, Xander and Anya walk in. When all is settled down, Giles informs Spike that Buffy’s missing and before Xander can form a plan to find her, Spike has already left. He goes to his crypt and finds her laying on his bed.

Author’s Notes:

1) Once more I have a song suggestion. This one is easy and I’m pretty sure you all have it, at least if you are obsessed with Sarah Mclachlan like I am. It’s “Do what you have to do” and it’s one of my favourites songs by Sarah, along with, “Full of Grace”, “Good Enough” and “Witness  and “Fear” and I really have to shut up now. Anyway, for this chapter you’ll just need “Do what you have to do”.

2) The title of this chapter is from a song by, guess who! That’s it! Obviously, by Sarah Mclachlan.

3) This is, unfortunately, the last chapter, so make sure you enjoy it. ;)

Chapter XXII – Fumbling Towards Ecstasy

What ravages of spirit
conjured this temptuous rage
created you a monster
broken by the rules of love

Her mind whorled and looped down a dark spiralled path, deeper and deeper into the uncharted points of her consciousness, when a soft whisper in the distance seemed to ground her, seemed to stop the inevitable tumble towards lunacy. It sounded like her name…  

and fate has lead you through it
you do what you have to do
and fate has led you through it
you do what you have to do ...

Slowly, a dim light appeared to seep into her jangled mind. As her eyes adjusted to the new feel of the room she dragged her head across the pillow she clutched between her fingers, looking up to find him.

and I have the sense to recognize that
I don't know how to let you go

He came back, but then again, he always did. He had, for the last tortuous hours, appeared to her in her clouded mind while she slept, in her dazed world while she dreamt, in that cold and dark room when she woke. He was always there. He would always be. He would come to her, without a word to comfort her in her blinding grief.

every moment marked
with apparitions of your soul

She knew he wasn’t real, she knew he was gone, but she didn’t care. She would take anything, she’d cling to any memory, any resemblance, any words, any sound or breath, any spectrum of light in her long decent into insanity. She knew the figure that stood before her was an illusion, a ghost in her mind which would fade away the second her fingers brushed over him, but she didn’t care, all she wanted was one last shred of hope to dull the pain that made it almost unbearable to breathe.

I'm ever swiftly moving
trying to escape this desire
the yearning to be near you
I do what I have to do

*********************************************************************************

 “Buffy?” He breathed once more, getting no answer.

Unhurriedly, he took a step toward a table to his left. In few seconds he had the kerosene lamp burning and a soft fiery orange spread up the walls, down across the floor, over the silky sheets to finally bathe the curled up creature laying on the bed. Slowly, she began to stir, her hands remained tied up around her legs as her knees moved away from her chest, her neck craned up to expose the ghostly pale complexion of her marred face. She squinted as she tried to focus her tired sight on the figure standing next to the lamp. Deep dark bags encircled her eyes and it became clear to him that she had spent the last two days crying.

“Spike?” she whispered with a faltering voice.

He gave her a soft nod and a smile spread across her face. With some effort she sat up, her arms hugging her knees, bringing them against her chest once more. She tilted her head slightly, the sweet smile never leaving her lips as her eyes stared straight into his.

the yearning to be near you
I do what I have to do

A shy smile crossed his face as he noticed the familiar black leather that spread over her shoulders and down her back. Slowly, he took a step towards her and her eyes instantly grew wide. As he took another she suddenly crawled back, to the farthest corner of the bed, curling up into a little ball.

“Buffy?” he asked confused at the strange emotion that splayed across her widened eyes – fear.

She looked like a frightened mouse, cornered by a large cat, sitting there, hugging herself; her large glassy eyes never leaving him.

but I have the sense to recognize
that I don't know how
to let you go

“Buffy, it’s me.” He tried to reassure her, taking another step towards her. In a blink of an eye she was standing, clutching the leather coat around her frail figure; the large bed standing between the two of them.

He stared at her with wide eyes.

“Buffy, it’s me… Spike.” He whispered with a faltering voice.

“I know.” Was her short reply.

“What wrong?” his voice echoed over the tall damp walls of the crypt.

Her answer to his question was a shadow of a smile. As the silence grew between them he decided to take another step and she immediately moved away from him.

“Don’t…” she breathed as her eyebrows moved closer to one another in a painful frown.

I don't know how
to let you go


“Buffy, what’s going-“ he stopped in mid sentence as she lifted an arm towards him, trying to keep the distance between them.

“Don’t com-don’t come near me.” The words cut their way up her throat as she spoke.

“W-why? What’s wrong?” he asked confused.

She tilted her head and smiled at him.

“I miss you.” She whispered with a flushed face. The tears quickly trailed down her cheeks and a trembling hand came to brush them away before they reached her chin.

“Buffy…” he breathed coming around the bed to reach for her.

She instantly jumped back, fear pooling into her eyes, turning them into ebony crystal.

“Don’t touch me.” She almost shouted at him.

“I-I don’t understand.” He stuttered.

“Please… Just stay there… Please….” Her shivering fingers brushed over her face and settled on her swollen lips as she spoke.

Silence filtered between them, filling the room, heightening their emotions, the only sound coming from the flickering flame in the kerosene lamp.

a glowing ember
burning hot
burning slow
deep within I'm shaken by the violence
of existing for only you

“It-it hurts too much when you leave…” she finally broke the stillness with a whisper. “I just hu-“ the words got caught in her throat, but she pushed them out “hurt… so much…”

“Luv…”

“Don’t… I just want to look at you before you leave.” Her lips came together and she forced a smile out of them.

“I’m not going to leave you.” He tried to explain.

“Yes, you will.” She replied, the vaporous smile never leaving her lips, the painful frown still settling over her eyebrows.

“No, I won’t.” he insisted, taking a few steps, causing her to back away against the damp wall.

“Please…” her eyes begged him as her tired body glided down the cold stone till she reached the frozen floor. “…don’t.”

Spike stopped dead in his track as he saw the fear growing in her, the darkness consuming her once green iris. He had never seen her so frightened and it killed him to think he was the cause of it. The tight knot in his stomach advanced up to his throat until it became unbearable.

“Please…don’t… please.” She whispered her mantra, from her cornered spot.

The black look in her pleading eyes, the way her fingers dug into her dishevelled hair while she lightly tapped her feet together reminded him of the time, a few months before, when she had been poisoned into thinking her world wasn’t real. Slowly, he kneeled in front of her, fighting the urge to just take her in his arms and hold her until it all faded away.

“Luv…” he whispered, outstretching his arm in her direction. Sure enough, she threw her body against the wall with a loud thud, crawling into a little ball; the blackness taking over her eyes once more.

“Please…” she supplicated.

“Wha-“ he swallowed hard, trying to keep the tears from spilling over. “What’s wrong? What happen?”

She didn’t answer, remaining frozen, glued to the wall.

“Luv, please… you’re scaring me… please… just tell me.” He begged her to no avail. “Buffy…” he tried to reach for her one last time, but seeing her frightened reaction he immediately recoiled his intruding hand.

They remained in silence for a while and gradually her body seemed to relax and the smile crawled over her lips once more.

“I don’t want you to leave...” She mouthed. “But I know I can’t be with you.”

I know I can't be with you
I do what I have to do
I know I can't be with you
I do what I have to do

 “Why?” he asked with exasperation in his voice.

“Because you’re not real.” She answered simply and the smile crumbled; the tears now free to roam over her flushed cheeks.

His eyes widened at her response.

“Of course I’m real.” He forced a grin over his lips but she shook her head.

“No. No, you’re not. You’ll just leave like you always do… and-and” she clutched her hands over the leather, bringing it against her chest. “it’ll just hurt too much a-and I don’t think I can take it.”

“Buffy… Look at me. It’s me. I’m real. You know I am. Please…” the desperation was clear in his voice as she continued to shake her head in a repetitive and monotonous way. “Buffy… Listen… Buffy…” he called and called but had no answer beyond the infuriating motion of denial. “Buffy!” he finally shouted as anger spilled into him, forgetting the rules and reaching for her, grabbing her by her arms and shaking her into consciousness.

“No. Don’t touch me!!” she screamed off the top of her lungs, struggling to push him away, but she was too weak to fight. “Just leave me ALONE!”

“Buffy, look at me!” he ordered with a thundering roar, as she continued to kick and shout, pushing and pulling in every direction with blind anger.

“LET ME GO!” she panted furiously.

“LOOK AT ME!!” he growled.

Suddenly, for a second, their eyes found each other, locking their gaze as he forced her to look up.

“It’s me! I’m NOT a hallucination! I’m NOT going anywhere!” As he spoke he noticed the change in her glassy eyes, realisation seemed to dawn in them, pushing away the black; the bluish-green taking over its rightful place as she stared up at him wide eyed. “It’s me…” he breathed softly.

and I have sense to recognize but
I don't know how to let you go
I don't know how to let you go
I don't know how to let you go

“Spike?” she looked at him as if she had just seen him for the first time that day. Her eyes overflowed with fresh tears as her arms wrapped around his neck, nearly braking it in the process.

His sour and open wounds protested against the sudden attack sending potent electric signals to his spine, causing the pain to spread across his body, but he seemed oblivious to it as he held onto her, sitting on the frozen floor.

Suddenly, her hands were all over his back, his shoulders, his neck, his chest, as if trying to test their consistency. When she was satisfied with the result she stared up at him, with a childlike astonishment ruling over her green eyes. Her lips soon smashed against his in an urgent and powerful kiss, while her hands roamed over his shoulders drawing erratic shapes across his chest. Her trembling fingers didn’t bother with finding the buttons of his white shirt, choosing to rip the strong fabric instead.

As their tongues battled for dominance in an incoherent dance, so did their hands. Pulling and pushing at every last fibber of clothing until all that was left on the floor was a mosaic of colours and textures serving as a soft bed for their hungry exposed bodies.

His fingers dug their way into her abundant locks of hair while his mouth traced the contours of her jaw down to her collarbone with furious passion, leaving a trail of red spots to attest to his passage. Urgent moans and desperate cries crawled up the walls filling the crypt as they entangled themselves in a primal rite of flesh and skin.

Thoughts whorled in her mind, leaving her in a dreamy haze where all she could feel was the soft brush of his fingers across her warm skin, the perfect match of his weight over hers… the sweep of his tongue over her exposed neck.

With a swift move of her thighs she rolled over him and he found himself lost in a maze of golden locks, which fell from her framed face to brush over his cheeks, his neck and his shoulders, encapsulating them, creating a world of their own - a shadowy world of yellows, pallid oranges and fiery reds.

A free giggle escaped her parted lips as his tongue found its way to her ear, tickling it incessantly.

“S-stop…” she managed to say between chuckled laughs.

Mercifully, he released the imprisoned bit of flesh and she sighed in relief; a smile still over her lips to match his own. She looked down on him and found him staring up at her with wide blue eyes. Amazement swam in them and she wondered how he managed to always look at her that way – as if it was the first time he was seeing her, the first time he touched her, the first time he kissed her. They remained silent as their gazes locked, the only sound disturbing the stillness being the harsh pants that she drew from her lungs. Slowly, she let her hips fall over his and it was his turn to let out a sharp gasp as he felt her warmth enveloping him, taking him in.

Suddenly, her eyelids seemed too heavy and she let them slide down over her eyes as she arched her back to its full extent. Sluggishly, she began to move. Her hips gliding up, down and back up it a slow, tantalizingly soft pace, tormenting him as the pressure built between their bodies.

Her thighs gripped his with brutal strength, pulling him in and pushing him out in the next instant in a disconcerting ritual, until it became impossible to resist the urge that spread through her body. The energy that brew between her legs suddenly spilled through her entire body, bringing to life every single particle in its path. Her head craned up as she let out a muffled scream, feeling her muscles contract and relax at a frightening pace.

He watched her, amazed, as she arched back, her naked wet form ruling over him as he felt her squeeze him with powerful force, her nails digging at his side and then he was following her, fumbling towards ecstasy. They moved in unison, clawing at each other as the energy between them consumed them, until there was nothing left; just limp flesh and bone. Exhausted, she collapsed over him; her sweat spilling over his chest.

Minutes went by and they refused to move, refused to break the spell that seemed to bind them motionlessly to each other. Gradually, the strength returned to their tired bodies and he felt her stir on top of him, her soft skin kissing his.

“Umm…” she moaned with a content smile, pushing her sagged, dishevelled mass of blond hair away from her face.

Her hands rested over his marble chest and she propped her chin over them to stare at him. He lay still, his eyes closed as if he slept.

“Spike?…” she called him with a whisper and he slowly forced his eyelids to open and looked at her.

“Yeah, luv…”

“Don’t ever do that again.” She asked him.

“Do what?”

“I’m the hero here. If someone’s dying, it’s gonna be me.”

“Hey. I had to live with knowing you were dead for 147 days, I thought you could stand it for two.” He said cocking his eyebrow when she slapped him across the chest.

“Don’t. Ever. Do that again.” She demanded with a dead serious look on her. “I nearly went insane, thinking…”

He stared at her, seeing how hard it was for her to remember what she’d gone through. With a soft reassuring voice he whispered. “I know.” His hand came to cradle her face and she leaned into his strong fingers as he continued. “Scared me half to death back there. Thought I’d lost you, luv.”

She smiled sweetly at him, pushing his impertinent curls away from his face. With some effort she moved up his chest and bushed her lips over his, ever so lightly, travelling down the path marked by his sharp jawbone until she reached his ear.

“I love you.” She breathed and he felt a chill run across his chest, threatening to take over his entire body.

“I love you too.” He whispered as she laid her head over his shoulder.

After a few minutes of silence, she propped up her chin over her hands once more and quipped:

“Spike?”

“Yeah?” he mumbled half asleep.

“Where the hell did you get those clothes?”

He chuckled back a laughter as he opened his eyes to meet her deep frown.

~The End~

  Review - Makes chapters come way quicker! ;)