Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Part XV - Surprise

They stood at the entrance to the old high school, or what was left of it. A heavy silence fell around them as all the memories assaulted their senses.

Buffy’s mind raced as she remembered all the smiles, tears and blood that those crumbled walls had witnessed. On one hand she thanked God that the building had burned down, at least this way Dawn could go to a semi-normal high school, further away from the actual Hellmouth. “Dawn…” She shook away her uncertainties and fears over what might be happening to her sister and spoke:

“Everyone remember the plan?”

They all nodded, including It, who was still tied with a chain that dangled out of Spike’s hand.

“Cross us and I swear you’ll regret ever being born.” The vampire hissed.

It’s gaze immediately fell to the floor in fear.

They walked between the rubble and wreckage as they made their way underground.

“God, this is creepy.” Anya whispered.

“You can say that again.” Xander spoke as he jumped over a large hole in the ground.

“Well, what do we do now?” Willow asked. In front of them the tunnel divided into two different paths. “Left or right?”

“How about right. Right is always good.” Anya immediately suggested.

“Wait.” Spike ordered. Everyone turned to face him as he sniffed the air around them. “Something smells funny.”

“I can’t smell any- Oh, vampire, right!” Xander reminded himself.

“It comes from there” he pointed to his left. “It’s…” sniff “rosemary.”

“Rosemary?” Xander and Anya said in unison.

“Why would these guys want rosemary?” Buffy asked.

“The Climes believed rosemary had cleansing properties. They used it to bathe their…” Willow hesitated. “their sacrifice victims.”

Silence surrounded them once more as everyone feared for the young teenager’s life. Buffy was the one to break it.

“That means we’re close. Everyone ready?”

They nodded and waited for Buffy’s command.

“We’ll stick to the plan. You guys go right, me and Spike will head left.”

As they parted ways, Willow approached Buffy and whispered before giving her a light peck on the check: “Good luck.”

Buffy nodded and walked away into the darker tunnel. Spike quickly followed her.

******************************************

“We’ve been walking for hours, I don’t think we’re under the high school anymore.” Xander complained.

“I get the feeling we’re walking around in circles.” Anya joined in protest.

“Shhh.” It’s screeching voice was heard. “Me hear something.”

Everyone strained to hear but none of them did.

“I don’t hear- wait don’t tell me, demon right?” Xander said and then added in a low, childlike grumble: “I wanna have special powers too, no fair. Buffy gets to be the Slayer, Spike’s the vampire, Willow and Tara are the powerful-“

“Shhh.” It hissed loudly.

“Great I’m being shushed by a short anorectic version of ET.”

“Xander!” Willow finally stepped in.

“Don’t worry honey, I don’t have any special-“

“Anya!!” Willow almost shouted.

“Fine, shutting up now.” The ex-demon grumbled, crossing her arms over her chest.

“Thank you. What do you hear, It?” Willow turned her attention to the small creature next to her.

“Singing pray.” It answered.

Everyone was left scratching their head until Tara offered:

“Ch-chanting? Is it chanting.”

It nodded frenetically.

********************************************

Spike and Buffy walked around in excruciating silence as they followed the now powerful scent of rosemary.

“Spike?” Buffy started to speak, her heart pounded against the walls of her chest.

No answer. Spike’s eyes looked straight ahead, concentrated in pursuing the odour.

“Spike?” she called again.

Once again she had no answer.

“Spike!” she finally yelled, turning him to face her.

“Will you shut your gob? They can hear.” he hissed freeing himself from her strong grip.

“We have to talk.”

“There’s nothing to talk about.” Spike snapped looking at her with knifes in his gaze.

“What-“

“Nothing. It was just a bloody slip up. You were vulnerable, needed some comfort, I was…” he swallowed hard and added in a venomous tone: “convenient.”

“Spike-“ Buffy was cut off once more, but this time by Spike’s strong arms pushing her aside.

She hit the floor and as she looked up she saw Spike laying on the ground, over him stood a hooded figure with a long spear pointed straight at the vampire’s throat. The Slayer shook her head and lunged at the attacker, pushing him to the floor.

A struggle ensued, Buffy’s fists flew, hitting the masked man at a frenetic pace, she was blinded by rage. It was clear she had the upper hand until she suddenly felt an invisible force pull at her and throw her against the wall. She lost awareness for a few seconds and when she came to two large obsidian eyes stared at her from under a black mask.

Buffy tried to get up, but an overwhelming pain took over her and all she could do was lay on the floor and stare at the spear coming straight at her.

The blade stopped inches from her face as Spike pulled the lance from the man’s hands and drove it through his chest. The hooded figure hit the floor lifeless almost as quickly as Spike’s hands reached his head.

A strangled cry came out of the vampire’s lips as the sharp pain in the back of his neck took over all of his actions. It grew in intensity and it didn’t seem to ever stop. Eventually, he fainted as it became too overwhelming.

“Spike!” Buffy called out, standing over him.

When she didn’t get any answer she kneeled next to the wounded vampire and tried to shake him into consciousness. Minutes passed and nothing. She was starting to get worried. Why didn’t he wake, was he- “No, it can’t be. He’s not dust.” She reminded herself and restarted pushing and pulling at his shirt, but Spike seemed to refuse to wake up. “Maybe the chip did something to him and now he can’t…” Buffy pushed the painful thought aside.

“Spike…” she whispered with a trembling voice. “Spike, please wake up.” She begged as her eyes welled up with tears. “William…”

He stirred as reality slowly sunk in.

“Hum…” he moaned sitting up.

“You ok?” she asked concerned as she brought her hand to rest on the nape of his neck.

“Hey! Watch the head, Slayer?” Spike protested pushing her arm away and standing up.

He walked over to the immobile body sprawled on the floor and motioned to it as he spoke:

“Is he…?”

“Yes.” She answered coming to stand next to him.

“Good, we can go on now.” He said in a low voice and moved away from her.

“Spike.” She called after him, but he didn’t seem to listen, so she shouted. “I’m sorry, ok?”

He stopped dead in his tracks.

“I’m really sorry.” She whispered.

He inhaled sharply as he pushed back the urge to turn around, run to her and tell her he didn’t care, that no matter how many times she pushed him away, he would always come back to her. But instead he put on his haughtiest grin and turned on his heels to face her.

“There’s nothing to be sorry about, Summers. I told you, you needed a good shag, I was- well I always am – horny, and that was that.”

His words left his mouth and punched her straight in the stomach.

“What?” she asked with a faltering tone, seeing him come closer to her.

“It was… an accident.” he said arrogantly. “A very good accident…” his eyes narrowed as he approached her and ran his fingers along her collarbone. “If you’re ever in a mood to repeat it, I’m always… hum… up for it, if you know what I mean.” He bit his lip as his index finger made it’s way towards the hem of her shirt.

“Wh-What is this?” she continued asking shocked by the way he was acting.

“Wha’, don’t feel like having a roll in the hay?” he hissed venomously.

“Why are you saying-?” she replied pushing his hand away from her chest.

“I guess with the whole Dawn thing it’s best not to, huh?”

“Why are you doing this?” rage started to take over her. “Is this a revenge thing? Is that it? Are you trying to get back at me?”

“I think I finally got over this ridiculous infatuation for you, Summers.” He spoke with his chin raised up high and his eyes staring down on her. “I guess you were right all along.”

She swallowed hard as she tried to push back the tears. “What?”

“You heard me, Slayer. You were right, it was just… a whim. Just curiosity.” He shook his shoulders. “I guess I wanted to know what it’s like to shag the Slayer. And I must tell you, luv, it’s quite a ride. On a scale of-“

Her open hand connected with his cheek, causing him to turn his face.

“Don’t. Ever. Speak to me. Ever again.” She hissed and pushed pass him.

Spike stood there watching her as she walked away, as a heart wrenching pain took over his body. He felt as if he was suffocating, even though he knew the fact that he was a vampire meant that he didn’t need to breathe. Slowly, he let the tears, he had been holding back for so long, stream down his face.

“I guess you’ve lost her for good, mate.” He said to himself.

**************************************

“Where is he taking us?” Anya asked in an annoying tone.

Xander was about to comment when suddenly they realised that ten or more hooded men surrounded them.

“Huh, Xander?” Willow asked.

One of the men stepped forward and grabbed the witch by her throat.

“Let go of the chain.” He ordered. She obeyed dropping the shackles that restrained the Khind’Ara demon.

The man dropped Willow to the floor and she coughed uncontrollably.

“Honey, are you ok?” Tara asked concerned kneeling next to her lover.

“Where is the dagger?” the hooded man asked.

“We don’t know what you’re talking about.” Xander replied bravely.

“Slayer and vampire have dagger.” It answered happily.

  Next

 

Review - Makes chapters come way quicker! ;)