Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Part III - Moving In

The familiar sound of a door being kicked open woke Spike from his dream. He wasn’t used to it anymore. It had been weeks since she had stormed into his crypt. He realised just how much he missed it.

“What do you want Slayer?” he asked without even bothering to turn to look at her.

“You.” She said.

Spike was startled by the response, and for a few fleeting moments he thought his one prayer had been answered. But as he turned around he saw the cold and lifeless look in her eyes and knew that, once more, his request to a higher being had been denied.

“What, need old Spike’s help, do ya?” he asked with a bitter tone.

“Nop, just you. You’re coming with me.” She continued, indifference still graced her steely features.

“Explain.” As he noticed her “so do not care about what happens to you, but unfortunately I need to be here” look, he decided to play it her way and assumed the same tone of apathy.

“You have something the bad guy wants. I have you, I have the bad guy.”

“You don’t have me Slayer, not anymore.” Spike spat out.

An uncomfortable silence settled between them. Was that hurt in her eyes? No, it couldn’t be. She had made it very clear that he meant nothing to her, he was just… convenient.

She stared at him, for a second the hard mask of indifference fell.

“Someone wants to summon the First Slayer and that someone needs your heart to do it.” She sighed.

“Huh?”

“Willow translated a passage on a book that an inhuman heart which had tasted the Slayer’s blood was needed to summon the spirit of the First Slayer.” She explained.

“I’m sticking with huh.” Spike repeated with a frown.

“Look, I don’t understand it either. I just know that you can’t be left here.”

“Wha? Afraid something might happen to me?” Spike grinned, taking a few steps forward until he stood right in front of her.

“No… no…” she was caught off guard by his proximity, taking a few steps back.

“Afraid someone might hurt me?” he continued closing the distance between them until she was backed against a wall.

“No…” the feel of the cold stone on her back broke the thrall he had her under and she was able to push him away. “I don’t care what happens to you, all I want is to avoid the comeback of the First Slayer. I had a run in with her a couple of years ago and I don’t wish to repeat it so soon.” She hissed moving as far away from him as she could.

Spike sighed and turned around to face her once more. He brought his hand to the bridge of his nose:

“What’s your plan, Slayer?”

“You stay with me until this bad guy comes for you.” She stated nonchalantly.

“And what if this guy takes his time? What are you gonna do? Move in?” he asked with an annoying grin plastered on his lips.

“No. You move into my place.” She tried to sound casual about it, but deep inside her heart threatened to jump out of her chest. She calmed herself down, trying very hard not to stutter or have her speech falter, and continued: “We don’t have any spare rooms; you can sleep on the couch.”

“Thanks for the tempting offer, but I’d prefer to stay here.” He stated as he took a pack of cigarettes from his jeans’ back pocket.

“You’re coming with me and…” she moved towards him and grabbed the cigarette, which was now hanging from his mouth, crushed it in her hand and threw it to the floor. “…there will be no smoking in the house.”

 “And what makes you think I’ll come with you?” he asked taking another cigarette from his pack.

Once more silence fell around them. She looked at him as he lit the cigarette and after a few moments of gazing at each other she replied:

“Because I’m asking you to.”

He looked at her. She knew him all too well. He would do anything she asked of him. Pressing his lips together, he nodded taking out the cigarette, throwing it to the floor and putting it out with his right foot.

*********************************************

“Buffy? Where have you been?” Willow asked as she saw Buffy opening the front door. “And what is Spike doing here?”

“He’s the one with the inhuman heart.” She answered going into the kitchen, Willow, Dawn and Spike followed her.

Everyone looked at her inquisitively.

“The book spoke of an inhuman heart which has had the blood of a Slayer. Spike here is a demon and has drained two Slayers dry. I figure he’s the one they are talking about.” Buffy explained.

“Ah! Wow, you figured that out in seconds back at the Magic Shop; quick thinking Buffy!” Willow congratulated.

“That’s me, quick thinking girl!” Buffy quipped shrugging as she helped herself to a glass of milk.

“So why is he here?” Dawn asked.

“He’s going to stay here until we find out more about little ET and his master.”

“Cool!” Dawn replied with a wide smile. Spike smiled back at her.

“Uh! Talking about finding out stuff. There is something you should know about the Khind’Ara. Their slime is kinda toxic. Makes you sort of drunk and hypersensitive.” Willow explained.

“Now you tell me.” Buffy said between clenched teeth.

Spike was the only one that heard it and smirked at her.

**************************************

“There! This should make it more comfy.” Willow said as she finished turning the living room couch into Spike’s new bed.

“Don’t worry Red; I’ve slept in worst places than a couch.” Spike tried to reassure her.

“This is so cool.” Dawn exclaimed as she entered the room carrying three or four DVD’s under her arm. “We have Moulin Rouge, Ever After, Playing by heart…”

Don’t you have anything less estrogen oriented?” Spike joked as he sat down.

“…and Deep Throat? Huh?” Dawn frowned as she looked at the cover of the DVD.

Spike immediately jumped off the sofa and snatched the DVD from the girl’s hands.

“Moulin Rouge will do just fine!”

“Spike, when I told you to pack, I meant to get some clothes, not get your kinky toys.” Buffy spat out, her arms crossed over her chest as she leaned against the wall.

“Wha? It’s a classic.” He protested.

“And you young lady, it’s a school night, you can watch the movie tomorrow.” Buffy continued ignoring the vampires comment.

“Oh! Come on Buffy! It’s just so cool having Spike over. It’s like a slumber party.” Dawn argued.

“This is not a slumber party, Dawn.” Buffy disagreed. “And Spike is not one of you’re girlfriends, he’s a vampire.”

“Yeah, that’s what you keep saying. But he’s different, his chipped.” Dawn continued.

“He is…”

Buffy was cut off by Spike’s protest:

“Hey! Do you mind? I’m in the room. You do realise that.”

“Go to bed Dawn.”

The teenager was about to retort but Buffy order:

“Bed. Now. And not another word.”

Dawn had no choice. With a sharp sigh she started up the stairs. Sensing the tension in the room Willow quickly followed her.

“That was a little harsh.” Spike said when they where left alone.

“Maybe, but I’m the one who takes care of her. I know what’s best for her.” She snarled, turning around towards the stairs.

“Tell yourself that long enough you might actually believe it.” Spike uttered sprawling on the couch.

“And what does that mean?” Buffy asked turning to face him.

“You don’t even know what’s good for yourself, let alone a fifteen year old. You live your life worrying about what other people think. Your every action is guided by what you think other people think is the best for you.” Spike argued with both hands behind his neck.

“I do what I think is best for me.”

“Do you, really? Then why does doing what is best for you hurt so much?” he asked. The smugness was gone from his voice and was replaced by a sincere worry.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She lied.

Her answer brought rage to Spike’s eyes, in an instant he was in front of her, backing her up against the wall.

“You want to fool yourself? Fine, that’s your problem, but don’t lie to me.” He snapped.

Buffy’s mind raced, telling her she had to push him away, but her body failed her. All she could do was stare at him, eyes welling up with tears.

The sight of her watery eyes calmed Spike and he continued with a softer tone.

“Why does everything have to be so bloody hard with you?” he asked as his hand came to rest on the nape of her neck. “Just tell me that. Why?”

They stared at each other in silence. Spike’s voice was barely a whisper as he closed the distance between their mouths:

“Why? Why do you worry so much about what other people want? Why can’t you just do what you…” his lips brushed over hers “…want?” He brought his mouth over hers but this time for a deeper kiss.

She closed her eyes and savoured the kiss as if it was the last. God, she missed the taste of him, the feel of his chest against hers, the…

Crack! The sound of footsteps on the top floor brought her back to reality.  

“No. I do what I want.” She whispered, breaking the kiss and stepping away from him, the tears threatened to overflow. Silently she continued backing away from him, never breaking eye contact.

Spike felt as if someone had just punched him in the gut and the pain was spreading straight to his throat, as he stood there watching her go.

*************************************

Buffy couldn’t stop tossing and turning in her bed. It was the third time that night she had woken up from the same dream. Sitting up between her sheets, cradling a pillow between her strong hands she recalled the gruesome details. Her face was bathed in blue moonlight as small beads of sweat ran down the sides of her checks.

Stupid dream!” She thought as flashes of Spike’s tortured body laying motionless on a ritual tomb assaulted her. A hooded figure buried its claws in vampire’s ivory chest. Buffy squeezed her eyes shut, whishing away the images of Spike’s heart being dug out and his body turning to dust.

She laid back in bed, willing herself to sleep. But it was helpless; she had to go check on him.

************************

The wooden stairs screeched beneath her bare feet as she made her way to the living room. She squinted hard, her eyes still adjusting to the darkness around her.

As the couch came into view her heart jumped. It was empty and the sheets were carelessly left on the floor. She desperately scanned the room for the missing vampire. A strange noise coming from the kitchen broke her moment of panic. Immediately the Slayer in her took over. She hid behind the wall that separated the hall from the living room, silently waiting for the intruder. As a tall figure walked into the room, Buffy lunged at it, both tumbling to the floor from the impact. They wrestled for a few instants, but having the element of surprise she easily overpowered him and ended up on top, straddling the stranger’s waist and pinning its arms over its head.

“Where. Is. He?” Her tone was sharp and threatening. As each word came out of her mouth she tightened the grasp around his wrists.

“Bloody hell, woman!” a familiar voice came from her opponent, who lay helpless under her. “What did I do now?”

“Spike?” Buffy asked.

Automatically she loosened her hold on him, but her arms remained resting over his wrists.

“Who else would it be?” he spat out annoyed. “Have you lost your marbles for good this time?”

“What are you doing up?” she tried to act casually as their compromising position dawned on her but, instead of standing up, she remained hovering over him. She missed the feel of him under her too much.

“A bloke can’t even get a sweet tooth in the middle of the night without getting attacked.”

“I thought someone had broken in and taken you with them. And…” her voice trailed off as she didn’t know how to say the words without revealing her foolish worries over his well being.

As he stared at her, he noticed a strange look in her eyes. Was that concern?

“…and…” she repeated.

Bloody hell, Buffy, just say it. Tell me you were worried about me.” Spike wished, but as the words formed in his mind he saw the change in her face. That change he had long become used to. The sudden cold indifference in her eyes told him the moment was lost.

In a flash she was on her feet and the poisonous words coming from her mouth hurled towards him:

“And I really don’t need to be worrying about the First Slayer coming to hunt me down. Once was enough.”

A dangerous melting pot of anger and hurt boiled in Spike’s chest as he stood up.

“Right, we wouldn’t want that to happen, now would we?” he snapped, walking towards the sofa and throwing himself on it.

“You just stay right here and don’t go anywhere. I don’t want to be… bothered in the middle of my beauty sleep.” She spat out as she turned on her heels and started up the stairs.

“Beauty sleep, that’s something you need… a lot!” he hissed in a low voice.

Even though she was half way up the stairs, her Slayer senses easily picked up that last remark. She didn’t know why, but it brought a sudden bruising weight to her chest. “Does he think I’m ugly?” she thought as she cuddled herself between her sheets.

*****************************

Next

Review - Makes chapters come way quicker! ;)