Fantasy in a Troubled World

Part One: The Princess Kikyo and the Hanyou Bandit Inu-Yasha

By Kaycee Ronin

I own nothing except for the little ideas swirling around in my head, and most of those don’t amount to much. Heck, I came up with this idea at four in the morning. Inu-Yasha and Final Fantasy IX don’t belong to me, and neither do any of the kawaii bishonen in either of them. Just a quick note, princess Kikyo is Kagome, but as those who have played FF9 know, Princess Garnet changed her name mid-game. That’ll happen eventually. The name change will come eventually, just don’t be confused when it does. ^_^ Go on and read and feel free to send comments onegai!

* * * * * * *

The view was always the same, changing only when the seasons did, and it always ended up the same. Then the cycle began again. Over and over. Year after year. Nothing was ever different. Wildflowers and evergreens covered the lush hills surrounding Devinshon’s Grand Castle. Many cottages belonging to the kingdom’s subjects lay in plain view just across the shining blue lake. Still it was always the same. Beauty had faded to something dull.

Her view of the outside was like the books in the royal library. Every once in a great while something new came along. But always all too soon it was memorized and lost. It would blend in with everything else and become forgotten. Nothing was unique anymore from her view.

Princess Kikyo sighed as she viewed the scene from the window in one of the castle towers. She had never ventured beyond the castle walls alone. The king would never permit his only beloved child to do such a thing. Her small outlook from the window in the tallest castle tower was probably the closest poor Kikyo would ever get to seeing what the real world was like. Sometimes she wished she had been born and raised as a common child. That way she would be free to roam the world as she pleased. Funny how with all the privileges she had, Princess Kikyo, heir to the throne of Devinshon, was a prisoner in her own castle.

The cry of a lone bird outside suddenly sparked her attention. Kikyo looked up and saw a small pair of black wings beating against a crisp, cloudless blue sky. She watched the bird with curious brown eyes until it disappeared over the horizon far past the confining hills. “I wonder what is out there?” She asked herself aloud. The neighboring kingdom of Valez was in that direction, but between the two nations who knew what kind of wonderful adventures lay in the wide uninhabited spread of land? A new life could be in that direction or really any she chose if she could just get away.

After all, today was her sixteenth birthday, and what kind of future ruler would she be if she was confined to the castle forever?

A soft knock at the chamber door stirred the princess from deep thought. “Kikyo Hime-sama?” A man’s voice spoke politely from the other side of the door.

Quickly the princess stood and pushed a few strands of dark hair behind her shoulder. “Come in,” She said as she brushed a few wrinkles from her plain dress.

The door slowly opened and a young handsome knight entered the room. He smiled politely at the princess and bowed his head. “Kikyo-sama,” He began, keeping his head bowed in respect. “The king wishes to know if you are nearly ready for your birthday party. Guests shall be arriving soon.”

Kikyo eyed the pink dress lying across her bed, then nodded to the knight with a smile. “Hai Hojo-kun. Tell my father I will be ready in a few moments.”

The knight Hojo blushed at the name the princess had called him as he left the room. Once the door was closed again, Kikyo picked up the dress from its place on the bed. She sighed almost sadly as she began to change her clothes.

“Father,” She began softly. “You and your friends could give me all the presents anyone could ever want. But there’s no one who can give me freedom from this place...That’s what I really want.”

* * * * * * *

“Inu-Yasha...Are you not sleeping again?”

“Mmmph...I was asleep Sango but I’m not sleeping now thanks to you.”

“Hn,” The dark haired young woman smiled up at the figure sitting high up on a tree branch. “Where is it we’re going in the morning?” She asked.

Inu-Yasha looked down at the ground and shook his head. He jumped from the tree and landed on his feet next to Sango. “Devinshon,” He replied flatly. “The princess of the royal family supposedly possesses a jewel that can grant any wish. The Shikon no Tama. If I had that,” He smiled to himself as he looked up at the dark sky and stars. “I wouldn’t have to be a mere hanyou any more. I could become a great taiyoukai.”

Sango almost laughed as she pet the small tan kitten Kiara, who was curled up fast asleep beside her. “You don’t need to become a full youkai Inu-Yasha. You have more power than most people or demons could ever dream of. What’d be the point in using a wish like that?”

When he didn’t reply, Sango continued talking.

“Having power wouldn’t mean anything to me,” She said slowly. “I’d rather wish for wealth.”

“Human greed,” Inu-Yasha grunted rudely as he rolled his eyes. He had barely let her finish before he jumped in with his comment.

“Human greed?” Sango repeated in a surprised tone. She looked at the half demon, her brown eyes wide. “Are you forgetting your own occupation Inu-Yasha? Last time I checked you were a bandit as well.”

“Feh. I only take what I need,” The silver haired half demon said sharply. “Only a fool takes more than they can carry. They wouldn’t be able to take care of it all. Humans are too greedy to realize that wealth could do them in as quickly as it could make them happy.” Without another word Inu-Yasha disappeared into the tree again.

Sango shook her head with a slight smile as she looked up. “Inu-Yasha...you seem to keep forgetting that you yourself are half-human.”

* * * * * * *

After greeting what seemed to be the fiftieth person in a row, Princess Kikyo was having trouble keeping her false smile on her face. These people weren’t here to see her. The only reason any of them had come was to win or ensure the favor of her father, King Naraku. He was yet to make an appearance, yet all these people were present to see him. She had known that from the beginning and it didn’t really bother her. Kikyo looked at the house-sized pile of gifts in the far corner of the ballroom. Heartless gifts no doubt; gold, jewelry, dresses...material things she didn’t want or need.

“Princess Kikyo-sama,” She heard an elderly woman’s voice speaking from a few feet behind her.

Kikyo smiled, recognizing the familiar voice. “Kaede-obaachan,” She curtsied to old woman, someone she could be truly pleased to see. The priestess Kaede had been Kikyo’s tutor since she was very young. Some of her first memories were of her being taught to use white magic by the Miko. The princess thought of Kaede as her grandmother. Her mother had died when she was very young and no other woman had been so significant in her life.

“As a birthday present,” Kaede removed a black and white rosary necklace from a leather satchel she carried. “I made this for you Kikyo-sama.”

The princess smiled as she took the rosary in her hands. “What does it do?” She asked as her fingers ran across the smooth shiny black beads and sharp white ones.

“I designed it especially for you to be able to protect yourself from danger. You don’t wear it yourself, but place it around the neck of an enemy and they can do no harm to you. It can be a very helpful tool.”

Kikyo again smiled and bowed her head. “Arigato Kaede-obaachan.”

“You’re more than welcome my girl,” Kaede said kindly. “I had--”

“Oi! Let me...Let me go!” A child’s voice spoke sharply from the room’s entrance. “Yamero! Leggo!”

“How dare you try to get in here,” Hojo said coldly. “You were planning to harm defenseless Princess Kikyo weren’t you? Well? Speak boy!”

Kikyo sighed as she headed towards the sounds of commotion. “Hojo-kun,” She began sternly as she approached the knight and a small red haired boy. Two other knights stood in the same area, each holding one of the boy’s arms. “What is going on here?” She asked impatiently.

“Princess Kikyo-sama!” Hojo looked to Kikyo in surprise. It took him a moment to regain his composure, then he straightened and smiled boldly. “This boy was intruding on your private party Hime-sama.”

Kikyo looked to the boy and frowned. “What damage could he possibly do? He’s just a child.”

“Just a child?!” The boy squeaked. “Ha! I can cause much more trouble than any mere human kid can!” There was a bright flash of light and suddenly the boy was on the ground in a different form. “You should be afraid of me,” He spoke darkly. “I’m a kitsune. That’s a kind of demon you know,” Waving his light brown tail slowly back and forth, he looked up at Kikyo with a mischievous smile. “You really shouldn’t get in my way.”

With a heavy sigh, Kikyo knelt down to be eye level with the little demon. “What’s your name?” She asked him calmly.

“Kikyo-sama, you should stay away from that demon!” Hojo warned. “Who knows what such a creature could do?”

Ignoring the over-concerned knight’s comment, Kikyo looked back at the small demon. The kitsune was obviously surprised that the princess wasn’t afraid of him. Finally he met her gaze, smiled and said confidently, “I’m Shippo.”

“Shippo,” Kikyo repeated with a smile. “What did you come here for?”

The kitsune demon looked slightly embarrassed as she asked the question. “I...I was hungry,” He managed. “Everyone poor in town knows that the royal family feasts on the best food.”

“Of course,” Kikyo smiled down at the little demon. “Is that all? If you’re hungry Shippo I could get you some food.”

Shippo was shocked at the princess’ offer, yet he still nodded his head eagerly. “Hai!” He spoke happily. “I’m starving!”

As Kikyo began to lead Shippo toward a long elegant table filled with food, Hojo began to follow. “Kikyo-sama, don’t you know what a kitsune can do? What kind of trouble he could cause? I urge you to--”

“Hojo-kun, all he wants is some food,” Kikyo smiled as she looked over her shoulder. “What kind of harm could that cause?”

Sensing he was safe, Shippo stuck his tongue out at the angry knight and skipped happily after Kikyo.

The princess sighed as she began to fill a plate for the young kitsune. This would probably bee the extent of excitement all evening. She was really so sick of such boring parties all of the time. Her father hadn’t even bothered to make an appearance yet and it was nearing ten o’ clock. Shaking the lonely thoughts from her head, Kikyo turned away from the table and handed the plate to Shippo.

The kitsune’s green eyes went wide with shock when he saw the huge pile of food. “A-arigato,” He barely managed to choke before he began digging into it, attacking the chow as if he were a wild animal.

Princess Kikyo returned to mingling among her guests, not realizing she was being watched from a far corner of the room. Jaken was one of her father’s advisors, and he always constantly acted sneaky and suspicious around everyone. Kikyo had never liked him. There was just something wrong about him. But tonight, the princess wasn’t aware that Jaken had his eye on her.

* * * * * * *

“Nani?” Sango rubbed her eyes sleepily as she followed the rather rushed Inu-Yasha on Kiara’s back. “Why’d you change your mind Inu-Yasha?” She asked, her tone curious. “Why are we going to Devinshon now instead of in the morning?”

Inu-Yasha looked over his shoulder back to Sango but didn’t stop running. “I heard two men in a tavern discussing something about a birthday party for the Devinshon princess, and it was tonight. If we hurry we should be able to sneak in before it’s over. With such a crowd, it’d be easy to sneak her away from everybody and take the jewel.”

“You’re mind’s always on your work, isn’t it Inu-Yasha?” Sango said almost coldly.

The half demon stopped dead in his tracks and Sango passed him without a halt. “Isn’t that where my mind’s supposed to be?” He called after her.

* * * * * * *

Jaken did not intend to remain at the party for long. He detested social gatherings at the palace. Too many people approached him trying to get on his good side and in turn win the favor of King Naraku. The leaches. Jaken stood silently in the corner watching Princess Kikyo speaking with her tutor, the Miko Kaede, and a small child that seemed to be a kitsune. The princess seemed to be her usual self, full of smiles and laughter. That was normal for a human girl he assumed.

He watched the princess for just a minute or two longer, then left the crowded party. Jaken walked down a nearby corridor to a large enclosed and very darkened room at the end of the hall. He entered silently, a cold sensation shooting down his spine as he stepped past the door. Silently he looked around for a few moments. “Naraku-sama?” Jaken finally asked. “Are you in here?”

There was a long pause, then a man’s voice asked, “What is my daughter doing Jaken?”

“E-entertaining the guests I presume my Lord,” Jaken replied with a slight, nervous bow. “At least, that is what it seems to me.”

A violet fog appeared in the corner of the room, and as it faded, a dark haired man stood in its place, a smug look on his pale face. He chuckled to himself then looked to Jaken. “I want all the guests away from the castle by midnight,” He said. “I have some business to take care of with the princess.”

“H-hai Naraku-sama,” Jaken spoke quickly. “I’ll take care of that.”

The king laughed softly, sending another frightening shiver down Jaken’s back. “My daughter is sixteen today Jaken. That means I can finally take the Shikon Jewel from her without worrying about consequences. I can take it by any means necessary.”

“B-by any means necessary?” Jaken gaped in surprise. “You’re going to take the jewel from Princess Kikyo?”

“Of course,” The man laughed again and turned his head towards the ballroom where Kikyo was. “Once I have the Shikon no Tama, I will become immortal. What use would I have for an heir then?”

To be continued . . .

What do you think? Like? Hate? Should I give it up now or keep going? I was intending to make this a fusion of Inu-Yasha into Final Fantasy IX, but it seems to be a lot different than I intended it to be. Just keep in mind for future chapters that FFIX was what I had in mind when I got this idea. ^_^ Hope you enjoyed it!

Coming next chapter: Bandits Inu-Yasha and Sango arrive at Devinshon Castle just in time to see Princess Kikyo in trouble. What are you waiting for Inu-Yasha? Go save her! Look forward to it! (LOL, I just couldn’t help myself ^_^)