Normal Days

By Kaycee Ronin

 

            Inuyasha is not mine in any way, shape, or form.  All characters are the property of Rumiko Takahashi-sama.  While it would be nice, I don’t make any money out of doing this.  It’s just one of those fun things.  After about two years of laziness, I’ve finally begun to write this story.  The following will contain hints of Inuyasha/Kagome and Kouga/Kagome, and quite possibly a free for all battle.  I am aware that apparently ONLY Inuyasha and Kagome can gravel through the well, but I came up with this idea before I knew that.  If it gets bothersome, think of this as slightly AU.  ^^;

 

            This is my first comedy in quite a while.  Usually I’m an angst writer, so forgive me if I seem out of practice.

 

            First written:  August, 2003

 

* * * * * * * * *

 

      She reached the clearing in what felt like record time, only hoping she had made enough distance that she wouldn’t be caught this time.  It was only now, in this open field, that she paused to catch her breath, brown eyes scanning her surroundings warily as she listened for the sounds of someone following her.  Good.  No one.  Her heavy, rapid breathing began to steady.  She had managed to get far enough away…it would probably be too late for him to catch her now.  Just a little farther and she would be safe…home free.  Kagome raced forward in a full out sprint, pushing her feet as fast as they could go.  She could see her target just ahead of her now.  Almost there…

 

      “OI, Kagome!  Where are you going?!”

 

      ~~ Ahh, shimatta…I was so close too! ~~ The running girl exhaled an annoyed sigh before skidding to a stop, turning with a shake of her head to face the owner of the loud approaching voice.  “Inuyasha…” She murmured her disappointment as she glanced over her shoulder.  The old Bone Eater’s Well was only a few yards away from her.  She had almost made it home without having to face the half-demon’s annoying interrogation.

 

      He landed in front of her after taking a leap into the air, blocking Kagome’s path to the well.  His pointed doglike ears pricked back and his golden eyes narrowed sharply.  Inuyasha loomed over the smaller girl with a low snarl.  “Well?” He demanded impatiently.  “Just where did you think you were going…?”

 

      Kagome laughed once in an anxious tone—not that Inuyasha frightened her much, but it always took so much explaining when she needed to go home.  The silver-haired hanyou had never understood, and likely never would.  “Home.” She smiled faintly as she stated the fact.

 

      “Home?!  Why?  You were home just a week ago.” He leaned forward, an irritated growl rising from his throat.

 

      Her fists clenched as Kagome’s brown orbs narrowed in response.  “While I was home a week ago, my mother asked me to come home to help her and Grandpa out with Spring Cleaning--”

 

      “What’s that mean?” A confused expression crossed Inuyasha’s face.

 

      “Cleaning out the house, and such.” Kagome sighed, her shoulders drooping slightly.  As predicted, Inuyasha didn’t have a clue.  “I have a whole series of tests starting on Monday too.” She added.

 

      “You with those tests again.  Keh!” Inuyasha wrinkled his nose.  “You make them out to be much harder than they possibly could be!”

 

      “Tests are far scarier than any youkai you could find around here!”  Kagome retorted.

 

      “Humph.” Inuyasha folded his arms, watching Kagome sit down on the well’s edge as he glared.  “You’re just lazy!  That’s why you’re going home!”

 

      “Lazy?  If anything I’ll wind up with harder work at home!”  Kagome hardly noticed her voice rising steadily with her anger.  “You don’t have the slightest idea what it’ll take to get Grandpa to clean out all the junk he’s stocked up over the years and never uses…” She trailed off with an exasperated groan. “Oh, and those tests…” She shuddered.  “I don’t even want to think about them!”

 

      With that she looked down into the well, letting her legs dangle on the inside as she adjusted the oversized yellow backpack settled on her shoulders.

 

      Inuyasha snorted, frustrated, and for a moment, at a loss for a response.  Kagome’s temper tended to fluster him a little too easily at times.  “Ba~aaka!  You’d just better not think of resting too long!” He shouted.

 

      “I’m not going to be resting!” Kagome snapped.  “I’ll be working!  Working!”

 

      “I’m sure!”

 

* * *

 

      Pointed ears twitched slightly as the raven-haired wolf-youkai stopped in his tracks a short distance away in the woods.  He turned in the direction of a nearby clearing, not quite visible from his vantage point.  “That sounded just like Kagome yelling.”  Kouga paused, his nose wrinkling a little, “And I smell that dog turd too.”  His features visibly brightened at the thought of seeing the pretty human girl, and he immediately rushed off in the direction of the field, leaving a trail of dust behind him.

 

* * *

 

      Kagome was quickly becoming fed up with this—if only she’d been able to run a little bit faster she wouldn’t have to be listening to the ranting Inuyasha.  He simply didn’t understand, and he had no willingness to try, she assumed.  Kagome gave the half youkai a level glare until he was finished with his current round of shouting.  “I’m leaving now.”  She spoke bluntly.  “After all, I could use the rest.” She added the sarcastic remark afterwards, but almost instantly wished she hadn’t.

 

      “I knew it!” Inuyasha barked in reply.  “You are just being lazy!”  He leaned forward threateningly, digging his claws into the wood of the well.  “If you go home I swear I’ll follow you and drag you right back here!”

 

      That was the last straw.  Kagome shook her head once and glared in Inuyasha’s direction.  “Osuwari!!”

 

      Instantly, the rosary beads around his neck began to glow, and Inuyasha tumbled backward off the well, hitting the dirt with a thud and a pained grunt “Chukuso…”

 

      “DON’T follow me.” Kagome spoke in a flat tone.  “I’ll be back as soon as I can.  Ja ne, Inuyasha.”  With that, she hopped into the well, and in just a blink of an eye, she vanished into the strange space between past and present.

 

* * *

 

      Moving from the forest to the clearing just in time to see Kagome jump into the well, Kouga froze in his tracks, his pale blue eyes flying wide in horror. “Ka-Kagome!”  The wolf demon frowned in determination, rushing forward again.  Why would Kagome jump into that old well?  She couldn’t be trying to…and why was Inuyasha just standing there?!

 

      “Chukuso…That came out wrong…again.” Inuyasha sighed with a low growl and a shake of his head, peering into the well with narrowed eyes.  Kagome had disappeared in an instant.  For a few moments, he considered going after her, as Kagome’s sharp words crossed his mind…

 

      ~~ DON’T follow me. ~~

 

      He muttered under his breath, his nose twitching a little as he noted a familiar scent approaching at a rapid pace.  Inuyasha lifted his head with a snarl as his pointed ears tilted backwards.  “That…stupid wolf…” His eyes narrowed at the form approaching the well hidden within a rapidly moving tornado.  As it moved closer to the well, Inuyasha intercepted its path with a growl, resting both of his hands against the well as if protecting his territory.

 

      Kouga slowed to a stop just in front of the half demon, blue eyes fiercely narrowing at the golden ones “What do you think you’re doing, inu koro?!  Kagome just jumped in there!” He pointed toward the well behind Inuyasha.

 

      “I know that!” Inuyasha raised his voice in response with a snort.

 

      “Keh!  Well if you aren’t going to save her, dog turd, I will!” Kouga moved to shove the half youkai aside, but before he could give a push, Inuyasha grabbed his wrist and gave it a fierce yank, pulling both he and the wolf demon away from the old well.  “Oi!  Get your dirty paws offa me!”

 

      “More than glad to!” Inuyasha shouted, dropping Kouga’s wrist as he leered at him.  “Now what the hell did you think you were gonna save Kagome from?”

 

      “Falling into that well!” Kouga moved to the side in a quick rapid movement and peered into the well.  “Oiii!  Kagome!  Are you all right?!”

 

      “What are you doing?!”

 

      “Kagome fell in there!”

 

      “She didn’t fall, you moron!  She jumped!”

 

      “Jumped?”  Kouga’s jaw became slack for a moment.  “What’d you say to her to make her jump, inu koro?!” The wolf youkai growled as he crouched in an attack-like stance.

 

      “Not a thing!”  Inuyasha growled in an angry reply.  “She just went home!”

 

      “Home?” Kouga’s eyes narrowed.  “Nice try, dog turd.”

 

      “Keh!  Do you see her in there?!”  Inuyasha pointed to the well.  “She went back to her own time!”

 

      Kouga blinked, having a vague recollection of Kagome telling him something similar to this before.  Perhaps this wasn’t as life threatening as he had imagined, but even so...

 

      “Why’d she leave?  I heard you yelling at her.  You upset her, didn’t you?!”

 

      Inuyasha’s brow twitched.  “That’s none of your business!” He barked sharply.

 

      “It’s anyone’s business who can hear it, and you were shouting loud enough to be heard miles away, inu koro!”  Kouga spat in reply.  After a moment he turned away from Inuyasha, peering down into the well.  “Kagome’s home is on the other side of the well, then?”

 

      Inuyasha didn’t speak for a few moments, merely glowering at the wolf demon.  “You can’t follow her.”

 

      “Why’s that, inu koro?” Kouga glanced at Inuyasha from the corner of his eye as he balanced with both feet on the well’s edge.  “If she can go through, I’d figure anyone can, isn’t that right?” He grinned slyly.

 

      “Not you.” Inuyasha retorted with a curse, lunging to tackle the wolf demon.

 

      “Humph!  Why the hell not?!” Kouga shouted as Inuyasha shoved him to the ground next to the well.  The dark haired youkai quickly climbed back to his feet to leap at Inuyasha in return “She’s obviously upset with you!  Someone’s got to console her!”

 

      “Yeah?!  Well it sure as hell won’t be you!!”

 

      The two paused, glaring at each other for a few moments before a full out fight broke out amidst a constant stream of curses.

 

 

* * *

 

 

      “Inuyasha…” Kagome huffed angrily under her breath as she tapped a foot lightly against the solid floor of the modern well.  “Ano baka...Baka!  You hear me?  Complete moron!”  She shook her fist with clenched teeth as she moved toward the rope ladder her grandfather had made to dangle inside the well.  She climbed it carefully, muttering under her breath with each step upward.

 

      “Neechan!” A young boy’s voice interrupted Kagome’s grumbling as Souta entered the small shrine, wide eyes staring toward the well.  “Anou…are you all right?” He moved quickly down the stairs to peek into the well, watching his older sister.  “You sound mad.”

 

      Kagome sighed as she nodded toward the boy, dropping her backpack to the shrine’s floor “I’m fine, Souta.” She finally climbed out of the well, her expression softening a little as she readjusted her backpack onto her shoulders.  “Ne, Souta…”

 

      “Hm?”

 

      “Stay in here for a few minutes, will you?” She gave the boy a little smile.  “If Inuyasha shows up, tell him I said to get lost, all right?”

 

      Souta blinked in a bit of surprise. “Mou, Neechan, are you fighting with him again?”

 

      Kagome sighed in return.  “It was just a little fight, Souta.”  Leaving the boy where he was, she headed up the stairs to exit the mini-shrine and make her way to the main house.

 

* * *

 

      “I win!” Kouga grinned triumphantly as he managed to squirm away from Inuyasha’s blows and perch again on the side of the well.  “I’m gonna go pay Kagome a visit, dog turd.”

 

      “Kono yasaeookami…I’ll tear you apart!!” Inuyasha leapt from the ground to attack the wolf demon again.

 

      Kouga smirked as he shifted his weight carefully.  “C’mon and try it.”

 

      “Don’t give me that crap!” Inuyasha grabbed Kouga by the shoulders and gave the dark haired demon a rough shove, sending him tumbling forward into the well.  He stood still for a moment, then realized just what he had done.  “Kuso!”  He quickly leaned over the well, squinting at the darkness below.  Sure enough, Kouga had vanished.  “He’ll find Kagome…” He growled, twitching as he felt a pang of jealousy stab at his chest.

 

      The silver-haired half youkai debated for a short while, still staring down into the well.  He knew he should go after Kouga…who knew what sort of trouble that stupid wolf could cause?  He shook his head furiously, picturing Kouga with Kagome, talking and laughing with her mother and grandfather, and playing with Souta.  ~~ He would do that…stupid wolf. ~~ With a heavy sigh, Inuyasha perched himself on the well’s edge, quick to follow after him.

 

                  ~~ DON’T follow me. ~~

 

      “Keh.  I don’t really have a choice…”  He sighed and leapt into the well after Kouga.  “At least she’ll yell at him too.”

 

* * *

 

      “How dare he push me!” Kouga snarled as he suddenly found himself on solid ground after a few strange moments of a weightless feeling.  “Oi, inu koro, that was low even for you!!”  He glared up at the well’s opening.

 

      “Keh!  What was that?!” The wolf youkai’s eyes widened in surprise as Inuyasha materialized next to him, a scowl set firmly on his face.  “What makes you think you could just--”

 

      “Urusai!” Kouga snapped, swinging a fist toward Inuyasha with an infuriated growl.  “First you shoved me and now you’re lecturing?!”

 

      Their arguing was interrupted by a child’s voice shouting into the well.  “Ne…Inuyasha no oniisan…?”

 

* * *

 

      Out of breath from running for what seemed like hours upon hours on end, the young white-haired wolf youkai slowed to a stop near the strange, old well, followed by a gray-haired companion.  For a few moments the pair rested, each holding his palms against his knees, trying to catch their breath.  Finally, the white haired youkai spoke, his spiky hair falling over his eyes.

 

      “Kouga’s really nowhere to be found!” Hakkaku choked, still working on catching his breath

 

      Ginta, the gray-haired wolf demon nodded in agreement with a gasp.  “His scent just ends at this well!  Where could he have gone?”

 

      Hakkaku frowned warily, leaning over the edge of the well to peer at the darkness within.  “Do you think…in there?”

 

      “It’s dark down there.” Ginta murmured, peering over the other side.  For a moment, he only stared.  Finally mustering courage, he raised his voice.  “Oi!  Kouga!  Are you down there?!”

     

      When there was no answer, Hakkaku frowned. “He…isn’t there then, I guess.”

 

      “He would’ve called back, wouldn’t he?”

 

      A quick nod, “He would have.”  Hakkaku paused to sniff the air.  “But his scent ended here…”

 

      “He must’ve gone through a while ago…the wind could’ve carried it.” Ginta offered.

 

      “Aa.  Maybe you’re right.” Hakkaku replied with a quick nod.  “Let’s keep going!”

 

      Ginta nodded, and the two took off again in their search.

 

***

      “Ne, Inuyasha no oniisan?” 

 

      Inuyasha blinked, his ears twitching uneasily as he raised his eyes to the top of the well, half-expecting to see Kagome standing alongside her brother.  Luckily, it was only Souta there, his eyes and hair all that were visible over the edge of the well. “Oi, Souta!” He greeted the boy as he leapt out of the well, landing on the wood floor next to him.  Before Inuyasha could get in a word of explanation, Kouga was on the other side of Souta, peering down at the boy with a stern look set on his face.

 

      Narrowed blue eyes focused on Inuyasha “Who’s the brat?” He nodded in the young boy’s direction.

 

      In a simple response, Inuyasha turned up his nose.  “S’none of your business, wolf.  Go home.”

 

      “Keh!” Kouga shot back.  “I came here to see Kagome, and that’s what I’m gonna do.  I’ll find out what you did to make her so mad, then kick your ass myself.”

 

      “You know Neesan too?” Souta blinked toward the wolf youkai with wide eyes.

 

      “Neesan…?” Kouga looked confused for a moment.

 

      “That’s Souta.  He’s Kagome’s younger brother.” Inuyasha replied as bluntly as he could.

 

            “Aha!” Kouga grinned, leaning toward the boy for a moment “Do you know where Kagome is?”

 

            The boy blinked.  “She went inside.” He paused in thought for a few moments, thinking over what his elder sister had said to him.  Souta pointed toward Inuyasha with a frown. “Neechan said if you showed up, you should get lost, but she didn’t say anything about him…” He looked toward Kouga with a curious blink.  “I d’no what she’d say.”

 

            “I’ll go find out.” The wolf youkai volunteered all too eagerly.  “Why wouldn’t Kagome be happy to see me?” He hopped onto the stairs leading out of the well, briefly glancing back at Souta and the mortified Inuyasha.  “Oi, kid.  Which way did Kagome go?” 

 

            Confused, the young boy could only point in the direction of the house.  “Uh…there.”

 

            Kouga grinned in return and hurried off, leaving a trail of dust behind him as he raced toward the main house.  Inuyasha scowled, growling under his breath as he chased after.  ~~ Keh, no way in hell will I let HIM get to Kagome first! ~~

 

            As he watched Kouga near the front of the main house, Inuyasha leapt into the tree close to the window in Kagome’s room.  If he could see her first and explain what was going on, he wouldn’t be in much trouble.  He carefully balanced himself on a branch close to the glass, and began to slide it open without peering around inside.  He noticed her scent, but not Kagome as she sat on her bed.

 

            Kagome was a bit surprised to see the window slowly opening by an obvious pair of hands, yet some little voice had told her to expect it.  “Mou…I told him not to follow me!”  She moved quickly to her feet with a huff, placing herself in front of the window, and directly in Inuyasha’s line of view, hands on her hips.

 

            Inuyasha stopped sliding the window, his ears tilting backward slightly as he noted the dark haired girl in front of him.  “Kagome…?” He noted her angry expression, withdrawing his hands from the window to quickly explain.

 

            Time wasn’t given though, as Kagome quickly slid the window shut again with a shout of “OSUWARI!!!”

 

            “Ah--” The half youkai couldn’t manage a response as the prayer beads around his neck began to glow, and he suddenly found himself being pulled down with a heavy force.  Within a few seconds he had slammed into the ground below face first, leaving a hanyou-shaped indent in the grass around him.  “K-kono…” his words were muffled by the ground he was seemingly stuck to.

 

            Hearing the sudden crashing noise, Kouga’s attention turned to the flattened half youkai instead of pondering a way to get into the house.  The wolf demon glanced toward the window, then down at Inuyasha as he suddenly beamed in realization.  “Kagome must be up there!  Oi!  Kagome!” He shouted toward the window, nearly stepping on Inuyasha as he neared the house.

 

            After a few moments the window slowly slid open and Kagome peered out, an annoyed expression set on her face.  “Inuyasha, I told you to…” She paused, realizing it wasn’t the half youkai that had called to her.  “Anou…Kouga-kun…?”

 

Tsuzukeru

 

          I’m so proud of me.  I haven’t finished even a part of a story in over a year now…  So disappointing.  This is my random comedy to be thrown in amongst Kesshite Itte Shimau.  I plan to be updating both of these stories as often as I can now. ^_^

 

            Look for more Inuyasha vs. Kouga soon!