Jessie's Knight
by: Samantha (CrzyRocket@aol.com)

Disclaimer: Jessie and James don't belong to me. Neither do Butch and Cassidy. And the phrase at the end ("You're my knight in shining blue hair...") belongs to my friend, Joelle.

Rating: Well, as you know, I'm not good at this. I'm thinking this one's around G-ish. But hey, what do I know?

Summary: James beats up Butch and Jessie takes care of him. Wonderful plot, ain't it?

***********************************************************************

As I walked out of the store and into the night, a familiar voice rang out through the air. "Hey there, Jamie!" a scratchy voice said. No doubt about it, it had to be Butch. And if Butch was here then Cassidy would be, too. Sure enough, I heard her voice asking, "How's life treating you?"

They stepped out from the shadows and stood facing me. And they did NOT look too happy to see me. "Hey there guys..." I said slowly trying to edge away from them but they blocked my path.

"So Jamie," Cassidy began,"aren't you happy to see us?" I shook my head. "What's there to be happy about?" I retorted back. "Ohhh, temper." Butch said laughing. "Tell me, did you catch that Pikachu yet?" he asked. I shook my head 'no' and tried to look for a way out but my path was blocked. "Not yet, huh? Too bad. Just HOW hard is it to catch an overgrown rat Jamie?" Cassidy asked and she advaced towards me.

I gritted my teeth. They were really getting on my nerves. "Don't call me Jamie. My name is James." I told them. "And will you two please get lost?"

Butch and Cassidy shook their heads. "Sorry Jamie, but there some things we have to work out with you first." Butch said coming closer.

It was then that they noticed that I was alone. I don't know what took them so long but they finally noticed that Jessie wasn't with me. "I see your bimbo partner isn't with you." Cassidy remarked. I felt anger build up in my body. "DON'T call Jessie a bimbo!" I growled. They stared at me for a moment and then grinned. "Looks like someone's got a crush..." Butch said smirking. The two laughed out load.

I ran towards them, mad with rage, and smacked my fist into Butch's jaw. He fell back and then stared at me with hatred in his eyes. "What'd you do THAT for?" he yelled and ran towards me. He crashed into my stomach and we both fell to the ground, kicking and punching each other. Cassidy shouted words of encouragement to Butch and then kicked me in the leg. I winced in pain but kept on fighting. They had insulted Jessie and I couldn't let them get away with that. Grabbing Butch by his shirt I pulled him up and drew my hand back, ready to give it to him.

Sirens screeched through the air. I dropped Butch and ran for the forest. The cops were coming if they found me I would be arrested. A few minutes later, the sirens had grown faint and I stopped running. I limped through the forest in severe pain. Having Cassidy kick me with those heels was not good and running did not help it.

After walking around aimlessly in the forest for what seemed like hours, I finally found the cabin we were staying in. I quietly pushed open the door slowly, not wanting anyone to wake up. Unfortunately, Jessie was a light sleeper and she was awake in a second. "James?" she called out softly. I walked inside and closed the door softly. "Yea Jess?" I asked.

I didn't want her to see me like this, she would freak out. But, by accident, I tripped over something and pain shot up my leg. I cursed softly, but Jessie heard me. "What's wrong James?" she asked in a concerned voice. "Nothing Jess. Go back to sleep." Well, Jessie wasn't like those people who did what someone told them to do. She got up and turned on the light. Then, she turned to me and gasped.

"James! What happened?" she asked running over to me. "Nothing Jess." I replied again. "C'mon James," she said softly. "We gotta get you cleaned up." She swung my arm over her shoulder and wrapped her arm around my waist. Slowly, we walked to the bathroom. Hey, I can't walk that fast with a limp. We finally made it to the bathroom. I sat myself down on the side of the bath tub and watched as Jessie got the first aid supplies out and she turned to face me, a damp washcloth in her hand.

She kneeled in front of me and smiled slightly. "This might hurt a little James." she said. I nodded. She gently wiped away the mud from my face. At first, it was okay. In fact, it felt really nice having her take care of me. But then, she began cleaning my cuts. Argh....it stung like crazy!! "Jess...." I told her, whining slightly, "...it hurts." Then I prepared myself to be slapped. Jessie hated it when I whined. But instead of slapping me, she took ahold of my hand and squeezed it reassuringly. "Sorry James, but we wouldn't want your cuts to be infected, now do we." she then gave me one of her prize-winning smiles and went back to cleaning my cuts. I just stared at her. Wow...she's so beautiful, especially now, with her hair down. Having her hold my hand made the pain almost magically disappear. And she was so close to me. I could feel her breath against my face and I had the sudden urge to kiss her, but I held myself back. Kissing her now wouldn't be right. Not now...maybe some other time.

She finished cleaning my face and stood up. "How's the rest of you?" she asked. "No major damage, but my left leg hurts and I have a nasty bruise on my hand, but that's it." I told her. She nodded. "Your hair's dirty James." she told me. I nodded and she left. "I'll be right back." she called out. A few minutes later, Jessie came back with chair and set it in front of the sink. She turned the chair so the back was against the sink and pointed to it. "Sit down James." I did what I was told.

She reached over and turned the faucet on. "Lean back." she said told me. I leaned my head back and felt the cool water as Jessie ran her hands through my hair. I sighed and looked up at her. "You look nice Jess." I whispered softly. She turned away but I saw her blush. I smiled to myself and closed my eyes to enjoy the moment. Having her run her hands through my hair was like heaven. I never wanted her to stop. A few minutes passed and she reached over to turn the water off. I had the sudden urge to kiss her again. But, this time I couldn't hold it in.

I reached up and touched her cheek. She paused and then looked at me. And then, then I kissed her. It was a sweet kiss, just like her, but the best part was that she kissed me back. We broke apart and she turned away, blushing slightly. "Jessie?" I asked getting up from chair and standing next to her, "I've wanted to do that for a VERY long time." She turned and looked at me. "Yea..." she admitted, "...me too." I grinned and wrapped my arms around her.

"Um....James?" she started pushing away. "What's wrong?" I asked. Was it something I did. "Your hair's still wet." she said laughing and then handed me a towel. I looked at her for a minute and then smiled. Taking the towel from her, I dried my hair quickly and combed it. "You look better now..." Jessie said softly wrapping HER arms around me. I smiled (notice how I do that a lot) and kissed her forehead. She leaned her head against my shoulder and sighed.

"You never told me what happened." she whispered softly. I fingered her hair for a minute. "I bumped into Butch and Cassidy." I replied. "And what happened?" she asked, her head still on my shoulder. "Well, they started making fun of me and you. I got mad and exploded." I told her. "Making fun of me was alright, but I couldn't let them get away with making fun of my Jessie." She lifted her head and looked and me. "James, you're so sweet." she said fingering my hair.

"You're my knight in shining blue hair." she whispered into my ear. I smiled and hugged her tightly.