A True Winner
by: Samantha (Crzyrocket@aol.com)

Disclaimer: Do I really have to do this everytime? Team Rocket doesn't belong to me, but this story does.

Rating: Around G

Summary: Jessie's down and our dear James makes her happy.

***********************************************************************

We sat there. All three of us, lost in our own thoughts. We had failed, yet again. It seems we've been dong that a lot lately. Failing. I guess we've gotten used to it by now. Blasting off everytime that kid ruins our plans. But, I wish that once, just once we would win. Just once. I've never won anything before. Not even when I was a child. Never in my whole life. It must be some sort of curse.

I look over at Meowth, the little cat friend of mine. He's sitting there stuffing himself with tuna. He could probably care less about winning or failing. AFter all, he was Top Cat before. Great. A cat has better luck than me.
My eyes turn and focus on James. The son of millionaires. He's probably won many times, being rich and all.

I sigh. I'm the only one of the three who has never won. Nothing. I'm the loser of the group. The sun disappears and the stars come twinkling out.

"C'mon Jess, go to sleep. We gotta capture Pikachu tomorrow." James says to me.

Pikachu. Ha! We'll probably fail again, I think as I unroll my sleeping bag and lay down. I look over at James and Meowth. They both appear to be asleep. They don't care. Winning and failing. It's all the same to them. It doesn't matter to them. But, it matters to me. A lot. All my life, I've failed. James and Meowth probably never failed before they met...before they met....me.

It suddenly dawns on me. I'm the reason we keep on failing. I was cursed and now the curse is on the three of us. I turn my back on James and Meowth. I'm too ashamed. It's all my fault. Why God? I ask. Why me? Why must this curse be put on me? I'm keeping my best friends from winning. Meowth. He could still be top cat if it weren't for me. And James. My best friend since...forever. I'm keeping them from getting what they want. I want the best for the two of them. I truly do. Especially James. Now don't get me wrong, Mewoth is great and everything but James...He's wonderful. He's never raised his voice at me or even done something mean to me. As I think more about him something else dawns on me.

I love James. Not a silly crush love, it was REAL love. I care so much for him and I need him. Meowth too. But, it's because of me that they can't get what they want. What am I supposed to do? I start crying softly. My life was horrible. How am I supposed to let my friends win when I didn't want them to leave me. How am I supposed to let go of James? How??

"Jess?" James whispers softly.

I hear him get out of his sleeping bag and crawl next to me. I can sense his closeness and start crying harder. How was I suppose to let James go? I love him so much.

"Jess..." he whispers again, "What's wrong? Please don't cry."

His hand reaches out and rests on my shoulder.

"Jessie, turn around and tell me what's up wrong." he says ever so softly.

I turn to face him slowly. He looks down at me with those sparkling green eyes and my heart melts.

"It's nothing, James." I say, quickly drying my eyes, "Go back to sleep."

I expected him to just that but he doesn't. Instead he does something very unpredictable. He pulls me into an upright position and wraps his arms around me, rocking me back and forth.

"Tell me what's wrong, Jess..." he whispers into my ear. I don't resopnd. "Is it me?" he asks. I shake my head and then start crying again.

"No, James...it's...it's not...you." I say in between sobs. "It's...me. I shouldn't...be..here. You...you and...Meowth are...failing because...because of...me." I can tell he's confused by my answer. "Why you?" He leans his head against my shoulder and waits for an answer.

By this time, I'd calmed down but once in awhile tears would run down my face. "It's a curse James. A curse. I've never won anything in my life. Nothing and now you're failing and it's because of me. ME!!"

"But Jessie," he says lifting his head, "it's not you." "Yes it is!" I say frustrated and then I break down again. "Jessie, listen to me. How is it your fault. You're so beautiful and smart and brave and everything any guy would want in a woman. And that's why Jessie...that's why I love you so much." he says in the an ever so soft voice.

I turn to look at him. "You really mean it James?" I ask. He nods and then leans forward to kiss me. As his lips touch mine, I feel happiness and love fill my heart. We break apart and I smile at him. He opens his mouth and says something that I will always remember.

"I love you, Jessica..."

My arms wrap around him and I whisper back, "I love you, James." Eventually James falls asleep but his arms are still wrapped around me tightly, holding me close to him. And even though I've never won anything before but now, for the first time, I've finally succeeded.

I've won James' heart and that's all that matters now.