Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Disclaimer: Norman Osborn, the Green Goblin, Spider-Man, et al. are property of Marvel Entertainment. I don't own them....if I did, I'd be filthy rich. I just own Rachel Martinez and any other made up characters. Some of the dialogue was used from the movie novelization by Peter David. I wish there were a movie script out...but I was reduced to using this god-awful book instead.... Do yourself a favor and just wait for the DVD on Nov 1st. ~_~


The Man Behind The Mask


by Jen Richardson (padme_76@yahoo.com)


Chapter 6


(Three months later:)


The cool wind of change blew through the streets of New York as summer faded and autumn arrived. Norman pulled at his wool overcoat and shivered in front of the apartment building that his son and Peter shared.


Ugh... maybe he doesn't even want to see me, right now. Maybe he's busy... Norman kept thinking of excuse after excuse until the intercom buzzed loudly, startling Osborn out of his thoughts.


"Hey, dad! C'mon up!" Harry buzzed his father in, much to Norman's chagrin....


Norman made his way to the elevator, opened the grate and stepped on. His pager beeped several times, and he cursed inwardly. He looked at his pager as if it were a sentient being, and scowled at it. I'm ignoring you today...


He got off the elevator and headed for Harry's door, preparing to knock. But Harry had already opened the door and was all smiles as he regarded his father. "Hi, dad. This is a surprise! C'mon in.."


Norman walked in and glanced around at the messy apartment, grinning slightly. "I love what you've done with the place. Who's your decorator?"


Harry snickered. "Sorry about the mess. It's cleaner than it usually is," he said as he scooped up his sweatshirt and jacket lying on the floor. "You want anything? Coffee?"


Norman laughed. "No, no. I've had enough coffee at work, and I'm getting the jitters as we speak. I just wanted to drop by and see how you two were doing." Actually, his real reason for being there was to ask his son about the new girl in his life.


Apparently, Harry had been dating this...'mystery girl' for several weeks now, and keeping it secret. Or so he thought.... Norman eventually figured it out, but now he needed a name.... and a face. It almost seemed as though Harry was afraid to invite her over to the mansion, for fear that his father wouldn't approve. But Norman saw himself as a fair, reasonable person. There was no reason for him to reject her when he didn't even know her.


In the meantime, while he waited for the opportune time to ask.....he idly looked around and frowned. "Where's Parker?"


Harry sighed. "Oh... he's somewhere. He's either at work or at the library."


Hmmm.... trouble at Roommate Central? Osborn noticed the tension in Harry's voice when he mentioned Peter's name.


All of a sudden, Norman's cell phone rang, making both men roll their eyes in annoyance. Harry shook his head as his father reluctanly answered. "Yes?"


It was Irene. "Sorry to bother you, Mr. Osborn...you said you didn't want any calls but this is important."


He sighed in resignation. "Okay, Irene. What is it?"


She went on with the so-called emergency, and he listened intently. He briefly drew himself away from the conversation long enough to acknowledge Peter walking in. He gave a grin and waved. Peter nodded in response....


Norman turned his attention back to the phone. "All right, calm down. It's nothing to worry about, okay? Just email the Evans memo to Fargas. He needs it by four this afternoon, anyway. And leave the faxes on my desk....I'll look at them when I get back."


He heard the relief in his secretary's voice. "Thanks, Mr. Osborn. I was running around here like a chicken without its head!"


Norman laughed good-naturedly. "Heh...we can't have that, now can we?"


"Oh...you DO remember the board meeting today, don't you?"


He grimaced and looked up at the ceiling, as if he were cursing an unseen force at work. "Ah, damn. Yeah... I remember now. I wish I didn't." He snickered. "There's a reason why they call them 'board' meetings."


She laughed. "It's at three. Where are you, anyway?"


"I'm at Harry's place. I'll be there in roughly," he glanced at his watch, "twenty minutes."


"Okay, I'll be sure to have your portfolio sitting on your desk when you get back."


"Alright, thanks Irene.....bye..." He hung up, satisfied that his day was going to be relatively normal. Norman shut his cell phone with a loud clap, and turned to face the two boys. His face brightened as he regarded Peter. Heh... perhaps Peter would be more cooperative..... "Parker! Maybe you can tell me who she is."


Peter furrowed his brows in confusion. "Who?"


"This mystery girl Harry's been dating....he hasn't even told me her name yet," he pocketed his cell phone in his coat and nodded toward his son.


"Dad...." Harry groaned in embarrassment. "Don't..."


Norman continued, sounding a bit like the proud father. "You know, I think she's the one. Harry's been keeping her hidden from me, as if he's afraid I won't approve--"


"Dad!"


Osborn gave Harry a knowing stare. "Well? When do I get to meet her?"


Harry groaned again, not liking where this topic was headed. "Ugh...."


Peter seemed to be staring at Harry with a strange look on his face, but addressed Norman instead. "Sorry, Mr. Osborn. Harry hasn't mentioned her to me, yet."


I'm beginning to think Parker knows more than he lets on..... Norman grinned slightly. "Oh well. I'll concede for now.....but I'm going to meet her sooner or later, Harry."


Harry just made a face and briefly turned back to his biology books. Suddenly he spoke up. "Uh...Peter's looking for a job, now. Maybe you could help him, dad?"

Norman tried not to snicker. Changing the subject, eh? All right..... He glanced at Peter approvingly. "Oh, I'd be delighted to help. OsCorp could always use another brilliant mind," he said rather eagerly.


But Peter shook his head and politely declined. "N-no thanks, Mr. Osborn. I appreciate it, but it's okay....."


He watched the boy begin to back away from him, as if Norman were a threat. Strange.... "It's not a problem," he said assuredly. "I can make a couple of calls--"


"No," Peter said a little forcefully...then smiled apologetically. "I'm sorry. I'm really grateful for your concern, sir. But I like to earn what I get."


Norman smiled. "I respect that. You want to make it ahead on your own steam. That's great..." He gave Harry a glance, and his son just groaned as he furiously tried to solve some math problems.


"Don't start, dad....I know," Harry sighed, ruffling his hair in frustration.


Norman frowned. "You know what?" He tried to get his son to finish his excuse.


Harry winced and just buried his face in his books. "Nevermind. I'm in enough trouble as it is."


Norman laughed lightly at that statement. He turned to Peter, who was rummaging in the refrigerator. "Do you have any other skills besides chemistry, Parker?" Norman inquired.


Peter poured himself a glass of juice and thought for awhile. "I was thinking about something in photography." His eyes were suddenly staring at a clipping from the Daily Bugle.


Harry spoke up. "He used to be the photographer for the school paper. His pictures were really good, too."


Norman raised an eyebrow. "Oh? Maybe I should have you retake my driver's license photo," he joked.


Peter grinned. "It can't be that bad."


Norman smirked as he pulled it out of his wallet. "It doesn't even look like me...." He handed it to Parker, and the young man stared at it.


"Uh...really, it's not that bad, sir," Peter said slowly.


Norman chuckled. "Liar. But seriously, I was thinking of getting it retaken...."


Harry dared to snicker at his father. "What are you talking about, dad? Why do you even need a driver's license? You have your own chauffeur for crying out loud," he smiled.


Osborn gave Harry a sarcastic grin. "Shouldn't you be studying?" Harry just grumbled, turning back to his books. "Well, I'd love to stay and chat...but I have to be going now." He nodded to Peter.


"Oh...okay, Mr. Osborn. I..uh" Suddenly the color from Peter's face drained away, and he frowned at Norman.


Osborn furrowed his brows in confusion. "Peter? Is something wrong?"


The boy shook his head and looked apologetic. "Urg...uh, nothing! I just, umm....remembered something I have to do. Sorry, Harry. I'll be right back." Peter put on his jacket and started heading for the door.


Harry rose quickly and lightly grabbed Peter's arm. "Where are you going, now?"


"I uh....I have some overdue books to take back to the library! Yeah! Uh, okay...bye, Mr. Osborn. Take care." He quickly opened the door and slipped out.


Strangely enough, Norman realized that Peter didn't have any books in his hands as he was leaving. Weird.... Parker's got another side to him that I never noticed..... Norman shook his head in wry affection at the young man who bolted out of the apartment. "If his head weren't attached to his neck....." he didn't really have to finish that statement.


Harry just laughed at his roommate. "He's always like this. Lately, he's been acting weird."


Hmm...can't be any weirder than usual. Norman raised an eyebrow in amusement. "Oh? How do you mean?"


Harry groaned. "He's gotten himself fired twice so far, because he's always late...and he just goes off somewhere with no explanation half the time. I don't get it," he sighed in exasperation.


Norman gave a wry grin and glanced knowingly at his son. "Sound familiar?" he teased.


Harry slowly grinned back. "I think it's a case of role reversal.... I'm starting to be the more responsible one, with punctuality that is."


The elder Osborn crossed his arms as he looked at Harry. "Responsible one, huh? If I recall....Parker's actively looking for work...whereas you're doing everything possible to avoid work," Norman countered.


Harry grimaced. "Agh...gimme a break, dad. I'm still trying to pass all these science courses...and now you want me to get a job too?"


"If Peter can do it....I don't see why you can't. Besides, I thought you were going to share the expenses." Norman didn't like the idea of Parker taking on all the financial responsibilities on his own. And he wanted his son to appreciate what working people go through to earn their living.


Harry squirmed, obviously not liking this particular topic. "...Yeah, I was planning to...after I got settled with school and everything...." he trailed off.


Norman just gave Harry a stern look. "Well, I certainly hope so." He suddenly glanced at his watch. "Oh...shoot, I'm standing here talking to you and I've lost track of time," he grinned slightly. "I'll call you later, Harry. Keep at the books, okay?"


Harry sighed in resignation as Norman headed out the door. "Yes, sir...."


Norman tried not to laugh at his son's enthusiasm as he pulled the elevator gate down and pressed for the lobby. Heh... I can't blame him. I wasn't very enthusiastic about school when I was his age, either.....


-----------


When Osborn arrived at OsCorp, he rushed into his top floor office with a frown. "Are they waiting for me, Irene?"


His secretary looked up from her typewriter and almost giggled. "Actually, you're ten minutes early.... did you set your watch again?"


He glanced at his wristwatch and then at the wall clock. "Dammit... I think I need a new timepiece."


She shrugged. "Oh well. At least you're here. Oh, these are the faxes and your portfolio," she handed him several folders.


Norman groaned. "I'd say thanks...but I'm not grateful for the extra work...." he joked.


Irene just shook her head and went back to typing.


Norman walked down the hall towards the main board room with a disgruntled sigh. He met up with several board members as they entered the room and exchanged pleasantries with them. But it was only for show. Deep down, he despised most of them.... they weren't scientists, they had no inkling of how to run a massive technology firm like OsCorp.


Yet, here he was.... with his hands tied behind his back. He couldn't do anything without the approval of the board and the frustration and anger ate at him like a cancer.


The words of that distant...evil-sounding voice came back to him....


You need to take back control.... they're afraid... they're afraid of what power you can achieve.....


There was meaning behind those words, but until now....Osborn had ignored them. He shrugged it off and continued with his presentation. "Well, let's begin then, shall we?" Norman opened his portfolio and grinned as he glanced over the numbers briefly. He noticed that no one was smiling.


Hmmm... do they know something I don't? He mentally shook off the doubt growing in his mind and continued.


"We've secured three more major government contracts," Norman stated, looking quite pleased with himself. "And I am pleased to announce that - as of today - OsCorp Industries has surpassed Quest Aerospace as principal supplier to the United States military. In short, ladies and gentlemen of the board.....costs are down, revenue is up and our stock has never been higher."


There, thought Norman with contempt. Happy now?


"That's wonderful news, Norman...." Balkan said, closing his folder and looking up at Norman.


Good...you're impossible to please, Norman thought smugly.


Balkan directed his stare at the CEO as he continued. "...in fact, it's one of the reasons why we're selling the company."


Come again? Norman's smug grin suddenly disappeared. "What?"


"Quest is recapitalizing in wake of the bombing. They're expanding....and they've made a tender offer we couldn't ignore."


"Why wasn't I told about this?" Osborn wanted to scream. I'm always left out of the loop....why? I'm the CEO, goddammit!! Why are they doing this to me?!


"The last thing they want is a power struggle....with entrenched management," Balkan explained.


Entrenched management?! It's MY company!!! You wouldn't be here if it weren't for me, you ungrateful prick! His relatively calm visage hid the brimming anger welling up inside.


Fargas spoke up, trying to make it easier on Osborn. "They want you out, Norman. The deal is off if you come with it. The board expects your resignation in thirty days."


I can't believe it, Norman sat at the head of the table with his mouth open. They have to gall to fire ME?! "Why you can't do this to me," Norman stuttered, rising out of his seat. "This is my company. I...I founded OsCorp...."


His chagrined expression suddenly transformed into rage, and he pounded an angry fist on the table. "You know how much I sacrificed?!" he cried vehemently. He started to tremble, but tried desperately to keep calm.


No one dared to speak... they gave Osborn unsympathetic stares.


Norman suddenly looked to Fargas and pleaded. "...Max, please." He hated begging, but it was his last resort.


Norman's plea went unheard, however. Fargas gave him a sympathetic look, but Osborn knew better. "The board is unanimous. We're announcing the sale after the World Unity Festival. I'm sorry." The thankless bastard wasn't forgiving at all.


This can't be happening.....not to me.....how dare they! His face twitched in anger as he stared down at his reflection in the table top. His temper right now threatened to be unleashed in a burst of destructive fury.


Balkan drove the last nail into Osborn's coffin. "You're out, Norman."


Norman abruptly glanced up and directed his anger at Balkan, Fargas and the rest of the board. But his composure was surprising for someone who just had his company taken away from him. He placed both hands on the table to steady himself. His eyes suddenly flashed green....and he grinned slightly.


Norman's voice took on a more sinister tone.....


"Am I?"


TBC


Author's Note: Heh heh heh....^_^ Oh, the festival scene is next! Yay! This thing's getting easier to write! LOL! Please review!!

| index | chapter1 | chapter2 | chapter3 | chapter4 | chapter5 | chapter6 | chapter7 | chapter8 |


 



| updates | awards | cliques | interactive | my uJournal | norman osborn | willem dafoe |
| multimedia | links | about your weird webmistress | speak your mind | site map |

All html content, layout, etc... ©2002 by Jen R. See disclaimer on main page