Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Slayers Retry Part 11- Lost! Never Listen to a Mazoku.

*********

Lina and Val departed the next day, bidding Amelia and Prince Phil a fond farewell.

"Remember, I'll be sending you a message when we set the date," Amelia told Lina. "And one will go to Filia, of course, so you and Valteira can stop there anytime before spring to check, too!"

"For the last time, Amelia, I will not miss your wedding!"

"Thanks for letting us stay, Phil."

"No problem, Val! Anytime! Maybe next time, we'll be able to join you!"

Val sweatdropped. "No, we understand that you can't make it. Being a Prince is tough, huh?" Phil nodded.

"Have you seen Zel?" Lina asked.

"Not this morning," Daril answered.

"He left already!" Amelia cried. "He comes in the middle of the night, and leaves before morning! He didn't even rest!"

"Maybe those wanted posters are still up and he was afraid of being arrested. We should check. You know, make sure they're all down." Phil scratched his chin. "I could've sworn I had them all taken down though..."

"I've been waiting," Zel's voice called and he stepped into view. "You take forever to get going in the morning, Lina."

"Oh, quiet! Because I can fireball you just as easily as you can fireball me!" She glared at him. He had the good grace to flush.

Xelloss just watched the whole thing, smiling.

******

"Let's see... a left at the manticore cave...." Lina stood, poring over the map Xelloss had given them before he'd split. Zel and Val sat in the shadow of a large, snowy boulder, panting heavily. Said manticore was vanquished, thanks to their efforts. Lina hadn't even had to look up from her map- although both men were exhausted and knew they'd have to stay here to rest for the night- which was fast approaching.

"Lina," Val called. "Why don't you chill for a minute? We've got to set up camp for the night."

"What? Oh. Good idea, Val. You and Zel can do that while I figure out this map."

"But Lina..."

"Don't argue with her," Zelgadis stopped him, remembering her Fireballs and Flare Arrows. Hell, even her flaring aura was enough to scare most men into submission. And with her temper, she'd fry Val for arguing with her without a second thought. Zelgadis did NOT want to spend the night caring for a crisped dragon-boy.

"Fine. You can start a fire. I'll set up the bed stuff." Valteira started getting their blankets.

Zel paused for a moment, wondering if Val was being practical or rude, assuming that he'd help. But Val was a good-natured boy, and without Lina to help, they had to split the chores. Zel decided not to knock the boy down a few pegs, and went to gather firewood.

Lina snickered behind her map. That trick always worked. Now she could concentrate on the pathetic excuse for a map that Xelloss had drawn. After this cave, they had to go east. Those upside-down V's were mountains. They'd been in the mountains for ages, it seemed like. Eventually they would reach the mountain fortress that held their treasure- HER treasure. Her eyes sparkled. Rings, staff, diamonds... She could finally buy her castle!

But she didn't want the castle anymore. She'd gotten used to the adventuring life, even liked it now. Amelia's royal responsibilities and Sylphiel's marital bliss were not for her. Although she missed everyone. Settling down wasn't her thing, but neither was being alone. She'd gotten so used to having Gourry around...

"Lina?" Valteira's voice interrupted her train of thought.

"Yes, Val?"

"Where do you want your blankets?"

"Near you is fine. Being closer means being warmer! And I can smack you easier if you start snoring."

"I do not snore!"

Lina chuckled. He had, actually, all last week when he had gotten a cold and his nose was stuffed up. She hadn't thought that dragons got colds. At least he didn't breathe fire when he sneezed.

"Lina, what were you thinking about, before?"

"What do you mean?," she asked cautiously.

"When you spaced out over the map."

She paused, wondering if she could cover her slip. "Things," she finally sighed.

"What things?"

Damn! He was being nosy. She considered yelling at him- what business was that of his?- but he'd probably take it personally. "Traveling, mostly," she started. "Being alone and then being with everybody else."

"Oh. 'Cause you started looking sad. I was wondering if something was up."

"No, nothing at all!" she stammered. "Just... thinking.... I missed being with people," she admitted. "Traveling alone isn't fun, really. I've been pretty much alone since Gourry and Sylphiel got married."

"Don't worry!" Val said cheerfully. "I'm with you! And Zelgadis will stick around for a bit."

"Yeah. He will, won't he?"

Val smiled. "And I won't leave you on your own. I want to visit home after this, to bring Filia some presents, but I'll stick with you." He looked at her then. "Do you mind?"

"N-no. Not at all." She flushed slightly. He was weirding out on her. Of course, noone had ever asked if they could stay with her. Gourry had decided she needed a guardian. Amelia had wanted to learn magic, at first. Zelgadis saw her as a means to an end, and probably still did. And here was little Val, saying he'd stay with her. ASKING her if she minded.

"Would you like some tea?" he asked. "I've got plenty to make some for all of us, once Zel gets back." Tea? He was Filia's son, alright.

******

Days passed. They were hopelessly lost. Lina was swearing up a storm, promising to do very evil and painful things to Xelloss when he showed up again.

"I bet he did this on purpose! He KNOWS I hate cold! He's soooooo getting Dragon Slaved when he showed his face again."

Val winced. The words "Dragon Slave" brought back the memory of lingering pain to him.

Zelgadis just followed in silence, his hood up. With noone around, this was more to block some of the sound than to hide his ears. He frowned. Xelloss was probably getting a nice meal out of their misery.

Suddenly, the mountains rang with a shrill shriek of rage.

"I'll get you for this, Xelloss!!!!!"

next