Back
THE 6 ELEMENTS OF THE SHORT STORY

 

Most short stories work on some variation of the following. List them in your book under the above heading, and explain briefly what each one is.

1. A likable character.
2. An interesting setting.
3. A plot.
4. A serious problem or mounting conflict.
5. A solution or resolution usually by the efforts of the character.
6. A theme.


The sentences below might help you with some!

...........the time and place in which it happens. Authors often use descriptions of landscape, scenery, buildings, seasons or weather to provide a strong sense of setting....the feeling created at the beginning of the story - bright and cheerful or dark and frightening..

a struggle between two people or things in a short story. The main character is usually on one side of the central conflict.......
.........when the main character may struggle against another important character, against the forces of nature, against society, or even against something inside himself or herself (feelings, emotions, illness).

..the central idea or belief in a short story....the author's underlying meaning or main idea that he is trying to give the reader....his or her thoughts about a topic or view of human nature.

....is the sequence of events in the story from opening scene, the events building up to a conflict and then final climax. After the climax- or the main action and turning point in the story- things are resolved or sorted out..