Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Going Back - Part 6
By Kasey

"Oh my Mike!" Marlena exclaimed as she bent down next to him. "What happened?"

"I'm not sure," Mike replied with a worried tone. "Carrie? Carrie!? Princess, what's wrong?"

"It hurts Mike…"

"What hurts sweetie?" he asked.

"My stomach!" she yelled in pain.

Marlena looked her over while Mike grabbed her hand and stroked her hair with his other. Silence filled the air as everyone peeked at them.

"Mike," Marlena said as she stood up and took him aside, "she's in labor."

"WHAT?" Mike yelled.

"But I can't be in labor! I'm still two and a half weeks early!" Carrie said through her pain.

"I know Princess. And I don't want you to worry about anything. Everything's going to be okay."

"Carrie," Marlena interrupted, "you're going to have to go to the hospital now. Can you get up?"

"I'll try." Carrie cried.

"Come on honey, you can do it," Mike said as he put his hands around her to help her get up. Roman and Eric helped him as they walked Carrie to Mike's car.

"Okay everyone," Mike continued as he helped Carrie into the backseat, "sorry to spoil the party."

"We're coming with you!" Alice and Maggie shouted.

"Me too!" Sami and Austin added.

"Us too!" Lexie mentioned.

Soon everyone was gathering their things and heading towards their cars.

"Roman, would you mind driving?" Mike asked. "I would really like to stay with Carrie in the backseat."

"Sure, no problem," Roman replied as he took the keys from Mike.

Sami got in the passenger side. "Mind if I tag along?"

"No," Carrie painfully answered.

"Carrie," Marlena started, "John and I will be right behind you. Don't worry. Everything's going to be okay. I love you."

"I love you too Marlena."

"Bye sweetie."

Soon everyone was headed to Salem University Hopsital.


At the hospital...

"Dr. Horton?" a nurse asked as Mike and Carrie entered the emergency room.

"Hi." Mike quickly answered. "I want you to page Dr. Wesley and Dr. Bader NOW! Tell them my wife, Carrie, is in premature labor."

"Yes Dr. Horton," the nurse said as she ran towards the phone.

"Can I get a gurney please?" Mike yelled.

Two nurses came running out with a gurney. They all helped Carrie onto it.

"Dr. Horton?" a different nurse asked. "Oh my gosh I had no idea you were back in town!"

"Thanks, but my wife and I are having a problem here. And she needs medical attention."

"Hey, you're still the doctor to us so tell us what you need," the nurse replied.

"Thank you. I need a later of saline in a iv, wide open, bp, temp, pulse, and a fetal monitor."

"Of course," one of the nurses answered as she ran outside.

"Where's Dr. Wesley?" Mike asked.

"Right here," Craig said as he walked in the room. "Mike? Carrie? Oh my God, Carrie, it's true!? I didn't believe it when they said you two were back! Well, I'll save the welcomes for later. Mike, what happened?"

The nurse walked in and handed some stuff to the other nurses.

"We were at my grandma's for the barbecue," Mike explained. "Carrie and I were dancing…then she screamed in pain and fell to the ground…she was in so much pain…then Marlena said she was in labor. But Craig, she's only 34 weeks along! She's not due until August 19. So, we came here."

"Okay, old buddy," Craig said. "We're going to do everything we can."

"I know Craig," Mike said.

"Carrie," Craig started, "how far apart are the contractions."

"About 8 minutes," Carrie responded in pain. Mike walked over and grabbed her hand.

"Okay," Craig replied. "The baby's heart rate is fine."

"Babies," Mike corrected.

"You're having twins?" Craig asked, surprised.

"Yes," Carrie impatiently said.

"Well, Mike, you really did it this time," he joked. "Okay, the other baby's heart rate is also fine."

"That's good," Mike said as he leaned over and kissed Carrie's forehead.

"Okay Carrie," Craig said, "I want you to lie back and relax where I examine you."

"Where's Dr. Bader?" Carrie asked.

"She got called to an emergency c-section." Craig replied. "Just relax."

Carrie looked up into Mike's eyes and smiled. "Thank you."

"For what?" Mike asked.

"For always being here for me when I need you. I love you."

"I love you, too."

"Okay," Craig interrupted yet again. "You have barely started dilating, which is good. And your contractions are very far apart. So, I'm going to move you to your own room, start you on a dose of medication to try to stop your labor, and keep you overnight to monitor you. If the medication works, you'll be out of here tomorrow."

"What if it doesn't work?" Carrie asked.

"Your contractions haven't been going on for that long, so there's a very good change it will work." Craig answered. "Can I get a wheel chair to take Mrs. Horton to her room, please?"

"Right away doctor," a nurse replied as she walked out of the room.

"Okay, I will be back to check on you in a couple of hours."

"Thanks Craig," Mike and Carrie replied simultaneously.

"No problem. And hey-"

Mike and Carrie looked up at him.

"Welcome back."

"Thanks."

"So," Mike said after Craig left, "I'm going to go tell everyone what's happening before they break down the doors!"

"Okay," Carrie said. "Bye!"


Going Back - Part 7