Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Third Watch Madness Fanfiction!

-It's Going to Be a Long Day by Phyllis (Page 3)

Main Page

-Bios

-Previews

-Characters

-Episodes

-TW Dance

-Board

-Gallery

-Photos

-Contest

-Polls

-Elibs

-Comics

-Fanfiction

-Bob Ded

-Ideas

-Adopt

-TWlinks

-ASPCA

-ClipArt

-My Sites

Other Pages:

Back to Page 1 of It's Going to be a Long Day

Back to Page 2 of It's Going to be a Long Day

It's Going To Be a Long Day Page 3 -by Phyllis

Sully felt bad for the kid. He was in deep. Only sixteen, according to his sheet, and already in major trouble. “Ray, man, I wish I could turn back that clock and make this all go away, also-for you and for Bosco. But I cannot do that, so we have to play the hand we have. You are in deep trouble. I won’t lie to you. But you’re young. You can turn things around for yourself. Why not come out and let us see what we can do. I know that you’re scared, but, please, do not give up on yourself.” There was silence from inside. Night had descended on the street. The only light came from the lamps at intervals along the street. Any open stores, had been emptied by the police hours ago. There were still no lights on in the deli. Even the outside light had not come at dusk. As Sully waited, the sergeant who had arrived twenty minutes earlier, clasped Sully’s shoulder. “You’ve done well, Sullivan. We may be able to end this thing soon.” As if on cue, Sully heard a click as someone hung the receiver inside. Sully fought the urge to throw the phone across the street. He considered redialing the number, when movement at the door drew his attention. The door opened a few inches and a handgun was tossed out. From inside, Jamie Murphy called out. “Sully, we’re coming out. You hear me, Sully?”

Sully stood up and called back. “I hear you. Ray! You need to come out first.” Seconds ticked away, then the door opened and a tall skinny kid stepped out with his hands on his head. Sully walked over to him. “Ray? Your under arrest.” Sully handcuffed the kid and read him his rights. Then he turned the kid around to face him. “You did the right thing. You’ve got a long, hard road in front of you, but your decision to come out was a big step in the right direction. James and your mom are at the station. Your brother seems real standup. I think he’ll be there to support you when you need him. Let him do that for you. The same thing applies to your mother from what I’ve heard. I know she helped you when you got in trouble last year. She’ll be there for you now, also. I told James before he left that I would help where I can. I’ll tell you the same thing. I’d like to see you come out of the right side of this, so call me. You understand me?” Sully looked him square in the face.

“Yes, sir” was his answer. Ray returned Sully’s look with an inner strength that would help the kid in the days to come.

Sully led him to a waiting squad car. “I have to stay here a while. These two officers will take you to the station and start you in the system. You can see your family after your processed. I’ll see you later. Ok?” Ray nodded as Sully turned him over to the officers at their waiting car.

Davis was waiting for Sully with Jamie. Sully glanced back as Ray was driven away. He turned back to his partner and the young clerk. “Hey, Jamie. You ok?”

“I think so. The kid was more scared than me. Can’t speak for Chuck or the others in there. Chuck’s been with us a while, but this was his first robbery. I hope we don’t lose him over this. He’s really good with customers.”

“The sergeant has Candy and a couple of others interviewing the rest of the customers. What should we do?” Davis asked his partner.

Sully stood with his hands on his belt. “Well, let me check with the sergeant. Then, I thought we’d go to the hospital. They’ll want us to go back and make out the reports.” Davis shook his head. “I know. Sorry, Ty, But it’s going to be a long day.”

“Yeah, I know. But I’ve got to get something to eat first. Lunch was hours ago.” He turned to Jamie. “ You going to be able to get this cleaned up tonight?” Davis looked at the shattered door. It must have been the second shot that hit the glass door.

Jamie looked at the door. Then at the sign hanging over the door. “I don’t know. Looks as if he hit the sign, also. It should have come on now.” Davis shown his light up towards the sign. They could see where the second bullet had entered the sign. “That is weird. How did he hit the sign when it’s above the door?”

Davis shrugged his shoulders. “Beats me. I’ll let the suits worry about figure it out. They get paid to investigate the incident.”

Jamie surveyed the damage again. “My granddad is not going to happy about this. Need to replace the door and probably the sign, lost his evening business-I’m never going to hear the end of this.” Jamie laughed under is breath. “I should have had Sully call him. He’s known Granddad longer. Plus, then I wouldn’t have gotten yelled at twice.” Davis looked at Jamie. “Twice?”

“Sure, when I called and when he gets here.”

Davis nodded. “I got you. Well, maybe Sully can smooth things over for you.”

“Smooth over what?” Sully asked as he came up behind his partner.

“Things with Jamie’s grandfather.”

“No, thanks. I want nothing to do with it. We’re leaving. Jamie, sorry, my friend, you are on your own. I’ve known your grandfather a long time. I like and respect him a lot, but I’ve had my share of tongue-lashings from him over the years. I’m not ready for one tonight.” Just then, a cab pulled up to the curb and a small elder man stepped out. “Speaking of, it’s time for us to go. Davis, get in the car. Jamie, see you later. Good luck.” Jamie looked at his grandfather and then back at Sully. His eyes laughed, though his mouth dared not to, as his grandfather bore down on him. Sully tipped his head as the older man passed. “Evening, Mr. Murphy”

“Officer Sullivan. James, what in the world have you been doing to my business?”

Davis was half in the car when he heard Mr. Murphy start in on Jamie. He quickly climbed in and shut the door. Sully jumped in on the driver’s side and started the vehicle. Putting it in drive, he waved at Jamie and drove off. Turning to Davis, Sully said “Hospital first, then we’ll get something to eat.” Sully glanced in the rear mirror. He could see the younger and elder Murphy’ standing in front of the deli. The old man was waving his cane around the lethal intensity. “Ray’s lucky that old man wasn’t behind the counter. I’ve seen some of the old man’s past robbers-or maybe I should say victims. He’s dangerous since he started using that cane to get around.” Both officers just chuckled as they drove away.

Faith looked at her watch again-seven a.m. Bosco was still asleep after surgery to put in a pin his shoulder. The collarbone had been shattered by the bullet and would have been left weak if not repaired with surgery. She had talked to Fred, her husband, around ten last night, some nine hours earlier. She had told him about what happened and that she planned to stay at the hospital until Bosco woke up. Fred told her that some reports of the hostage situation had been on the news. No one was named, but film had shown her and Sully very clearly. He brother had called to ask if Faith was ok. Since Fred had no information yet, he informed him that he would call as soon as he heard anything. Fred had asked Faith if he could come up-for moral support he had said. The new sober Fred was so sweet, she thought to herself. As much as she could use the support and shoulder to lean on she told him to stay home and watch the kids. They had not seen the news, according to Fred, so he might need to explain them why “mommy” was not home yet. Fred asked once more if she was sure-that Mrs. Phillips across the hall could watch the kids. Then he said that he really wanted to see her and make sure that she was ok. Faith was moved to tears with this admission. The Fred of last year would not have volunteered to come up. He would probably have gotten mad that she was not coming home. But since starting AA, Fred was very much like the man that Faith had married. She had asked if he could please stay home tonight and possibly call work and take some personal time. She wouldn’t be home until morning and she really needed to spend some time with her family-all of them. She would explain to the kids in a way that would not scare them.

Bosco’s mom and Nicole, his girl friend, had been at the hospital by the time Faith had been checked and released by doctors in the emergency room. Sully and Davis were also waiting when Faith came out of the ER. They waited with Faith and the other women until the doctor came out of surgery to let them know Bosco was out and doing well. Sully told Faith that they would see her later and to give her partner their best. Then they left to go eat and then fill out reports for the rest of the night. After surgery, the three women had been allowed into recovery to see Bosco. He was still groggy, but spoke briefly to each of them. They were told Bosco would be moved to his room in the early hours of the morning. Until then, they should go home and rest. Visiting hours were after nine in the morning and they could see him then. He should be more alert by then. She looked over at his sleeping form. He still had not moved. The goose egg on his right temple was still very evident and, now, it was beginning to bruise. Her young partner was going to have one butte of a shiner. Bosco’s mom had been angry last night, as she had listened to the story of the shooting. Nicole had cried. Faith convinced them both to go home. She would stay through the night and would call if anything happened, but she did not expect to have to make that call. The doctors were confident about his condition improving. He was still sleeping, but it was a good sleep and though he was still pale, he looked better than he had twelve hours earlier. Faith settled in to wait until Bosco woke up. She needed to talk to him before she went home.

She must have drifted off to sleep for a few minutes. A rustling noise awaken her and she turned toward the bed. Bosco was watching her, looking a little confused. “Hey, you.” Faith stood and smiled. “ So, you ready to go to work?”

Bosco flashed her a crooked smile. “Sure. You drive. “

She laughed at him. It was good to see him smile, even briefly.

Bosco looked around the room. “Ok. I know where I am, but I don’t know why I’m here. I hope you can tell me.“

“You were shot. We went to Murphy’s to get a drink? Sully and Davis were going to meet us?”

Bosco thought for a moment. The image of a skinny kid came to mind. He had a gun aimed at Yokas. “That punk shot me?”

“Yeah, well, you jumped in front of me. Got shot for your trouble, too.”

Faith looked at Bosco and noticed a panicked look on his face. She reached for the call button, as she asked, “What’s wrong? Are you all right? I’ll get a doctor.”

“No. I’m ….” Bosco looked hard at his partner. “Faith, I can’t move my left arm?”

“You got shot. The bullet hit you under the arm and came out your shoulder after hitting your collarbone. They immobilized your arm so you wouldn’t tear out the stitches. There wasn’t any nerve damage. Your arm is ok.” A look of relief came over his face. “I’m sorry. I should have told you earlier. They put a pin in your shoulder, also, but I’ll let the doctor explain all the technical stuff to you,. You are now a new and improved model.” Bosco had to smile at that. “Your mom and Nicole were here last night. Do you remember talking to them?”

“No. Not really.”

“Well, that’s ok. They’ll be back to see you this morning.”

“And I bet my mom was angry, wasn’t she?”

Faith nodded “Yes, she was definitely angry. Does she always react that way?”

Bosco said, “She doesn’t handle strong emotions very well.”

“It’s her way of showing she loves you. I might have the same reaction if my son was hurt by someone.” Bosco just shook his head. “It doesn’t matter how old you are, you’re still her baby.”

“Yeah, and she’ll be here later today to chew on her ‘baby’s’ butt about his career choice. Nicole got an earful last night I’m sure. So, how was Nicole last night?”

“She cried. She was pretty scared for you. I think that she loves you very much.” Bosco winced and glanced away for a moment. He did not want to Nicole to be hurt because of him. Yokas seemed to understand. “I wasn’t sure what to tell her. So, I just told her what Kim told me. That is that only the good die young and no one accused you of being good. That brought a smile to her face. Of course, then she volunteered more information than I was prepared to hear and your mom simply walked away.”

Bosco laughed out loud at this and then winced at the discomfort it brought him.

Faith stood for a moment and then got serious. “Bosco, I just wanted to thank you. You possibly saved my life last night when you jumped in front of me.” He started to speak, but Faith cut him off. “No. I’m serious. You did it on purpose. You may not have done it consciously and I know you did not intend to get shot, but you intended to prevent that from happening to me, which you did. And I have to thank you.” Faith had tears in her eyes when she finished.

“Do not make more of this then it is. I don’t know what I was thinking. I might have just been trying to get my ass out of there, so don’t act like I’m some kind of hero or something. I just reacted, no thought.”

Faith watched as Bosco flexed his jaw muscles.”Ok. I will not say another thing about it.” She saw Bosco’s jaw relax. “I will believe what I want and if anyone asks I’ll tell them what that is. You don’t want to be a hero-fine. But you are my partner. And I thank you for being there for me.” She leaned over and kissed him on the forehead. “Now, I am going home to my husband and two babies. I’m going to fix us all some breakfast. And I’m going to explain why next time “Uncle Bosco” comes over that he gets an extra hug. I will see you tomorrow.” She went to the door and started out. She stuck her head back in to say, “You’ve got company coming, partner. I’ll see you later. Get well soon. I need you out there.”

Bosco heard her speaking to someone and then heard Nicole’s voice. He swiped at his eyes before his mother and girl friend walked in. His mom came over and gave him a kiss. “Morning, baby.”

“Good morning, ladies. How are my favorite girls today?” Bosco got a kiss from Nicole, as his mom looked on. Bosco had seen that look before. He glanced over at Nicole and could tell that she knew what was coming, but would stick by him though it all.

“Don’t even try that innocent act with me….”

Bosco took a deep breath, thinking to himself, “It’s going to be a long day.”