Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Irondequoit Post
A Messenger Post Newspaper
www.irondequoitpost.com

IRONDEQUOIT COMPETES IN COACHES’ INVITATIONAL

The Irondequoit Girls’ cross-country team participated in Saturday’s Counties competition at Mendon Ponds East. The top finishers in the Varsity A race for Irondequoit were Emily Quinlan (20:30) and Megan McHugh (20:47), finishing 17th and 20th respectively. Maureen Jones (76), Christine Braggins (82), Jennifer Ford (85), and Rachael Harvey (102) were the remaining Lady Eagles to finish. The girls’ Varsity A race included over 120 participants. “With both Emily and Maureen coming off injuries and Megan just recovering from the flu, I was astonished at how well the girls finished”, remarked Coach Ray Manuszak. “Obviously the conditions were not the best – rain, wet leaves, cool temperatures – but everyone of my runners finished their event.”
“After losing seven team members last year to graduation, I truly am amazed at how much our girls accomplished this season and the improvement each one of my runners has shown – several taking more then two minutes off of their time in the past month.” Of the 90 runners in the Varsity B race, the first Lady Eagle to cross the finish line was Lisa Philippone (24:09) in 28th place, followed closely by Stephanie Cancilla (24:10) in 29th, and Emily Kieliszak (24:17) in 30th. Other IHS harriers to complete the course were Crystal Cody (38th), Jessica McHugh (52nd), Abby Dineen (53rd), Amanda Grabowski, (55th), Jessica Rainey (58th), Rachel Carstens (68th), Jordan O’Brien (70th), Jennifer Rafferty (88th), and Rita Chukhina (89th). “This was the last meet for our entire team to be together – Varsity A, Varsity B, and the modified teams,” remarked Coach Manuszak. “Only our top five girls will be advancing on to Sectionals next Saturday at Marcus-Whitman. We took this day to recognize our senior runners and thank them for the leadership, commitment, and support they’ve shown their teammates throughout the season.” The seniors winding down their high school cross-country careers are Lady Eagles Rita Chukhina, Heather Mason, Megan McHugh, and Emily Quinlan, and senior boys Alex DiVirgilio, Pete Fantigrossi, Rob Hawkins, and Mark Lanigan.

Back to Girls Results 2003