Disclaimer: Newsies the 1992 musical belongs to Disney, The characters and some lines used in this story are from the movie, I’m not making any money on this. So please do not sue me. Also the characters: Laces, Bullseye, Sand, Bottle Cap, Knuckles, Fists, Frost, and a lot of others belong to me so if you want to use them just ask. But please ask me. Thank you!

Sunny Days
By Laces


February 1898
It had been six months ago that Spot had left Manhattan and come to live in Brooklyn and it had been a year since Jack had became the leader of Manhattan. It had been a year and a half since him and Jack had run away from the orphanage, and almost 2 years and a half since his little sister died in the orphanage. A lot had happened to Spot in the last two years and he was now getting back to normal or so he hoped.

It was a dark night and the wind was freezing, Spot was walking home from Manhattan. He had spent the day there with Jack meeting some of the new Newsies. Jack was the oldest over in Manhattan at 15 and one of the biggest, that was one of the reasons why he was the leader. Spot on the other hand was one of the youngest and smallest being only 5’ and not yet 14, but he was certainly the toughest, he was even tougher than Jack. Spot was getting closer to the Brooklyn Lodging house and the wind was beginning to die down. Spot was going to climb the fire escape up to the window so he could just climb into the bunk room and walk over to his bed which was right next to the window for that specific reason. He was on the first step when he heard crying. It was coming from what seemed to be the front of the Lodging House, Spot got down and went around to see who was crying. When he got to the front of the Lodging House he saw a person was curled up on the steps, with their face buried in their knees, just sobbing.

Spot stood in front of the person and in the light of the street light. This kid was going to wake up the entire lodging house if he didn’t stop crying. Spot shuffled his feet trying to get the attention of the kid, he failed because the kid didn’t even look up. Spot tired to get the kid’s attention by coughing and this at least got the kid to look up. When the kid looked up Spot noticed that it was a girl, he could see her hair started to tumble when she looked up and was now all over her face. Spot stared at her tear stained face, which was covered in dirt and you could see where the tears had fallen, waiting for her to say something about why she was crying. Instead the girl after looking at Spot for a moment buried her head again and started to cry even louder. Spot didn’t understand and so he tried a different approach at finding out what this girl was doing on the Brooklyn Lodging House steps.

“Whadda ya doing ‘ere?’ Spot asked, not meaning to be rough but it just came out that way. Spot didn’t like being emotional and was very harsh half the time. The girl just keep on crying, Spot was annoyed at the girl because she was ignoring him. Spot was not ignored, he would soak people who ignored him. He hated begin ignored.

“I said what ya doing ‘ere at me Lodging House?’ Spot said again sternly, being annoyed would soon lead to being angry. The girls sobs got louder and Spot took a deep breathe and decide maybe this wasn’t the best approached. He sat down next to the girl and tried to calm her down, he started to stroke her dark brown almost black hair, he reminded her of his little sister. Not her appearance just in the way she cried.

“It was my fault.” She started to sob after Spot sat down.

“What was your fault?’ Spot asked softly.

“He said it was my fault.” She sobbed again.

“Who said it was your fault, and what was your fault?’ Spot was annoyed again.

“My fault, my fault, my fault.” Was all the girl said, and she said it over and over again. Spot stopped asking and concentrated on trying to get her quiet. Soon her sobs started to get softer and soon it was completely silent. Spot looked at the girl she had fallen asleep in his arms, Spot sighed he was going to have to take her upstairs. He picked her up and opened the front door, knowing that he couldn’t carry her up the fire escape and get into the bunkroom without making noise. In the bunkroom he laid her in his bed and climb into the bunk above hers. He climbed into bed hoping that Night and James won’t get mad in the morning because of the girl. He soon fell asleep thinking about what had been the girl’s fault and who had said it was her fault.

Spot didn’t get to much sleep because just as the sun was coming up he heard crying again, muffled sobs. He hopped out of bed and saw that the girl was crying again, he picked her up and jumped out of the window and went up the stairs to the roof. He didn’t want the girl to wake the rest of the Newsies. Most who were older than him and didn’t like him much as it was. As soon as they were on the roof the girl stopped crying and stared at Spot. Staring at his blue eyes that seemed to look annoyed, she noticed that he was carrying her.

“Put me down.” She said. Spot made no objections and put her down, he felt like dropping her because she had ordered him to put her down but thought the better of it.

“Well, ya got quite a attitude there.” Spot took a step back to study the girl. She was dirty, her hair was a mess, she was small and looked about 11, Spot decided.

“How old are ya?’ He questioned.

“What’s it ta ya?” She shot back. Spot raised a eyebrow. With that the girl answered. “13 in a week.” Spot nodded, she looked younger.

“Why was ya crying? How did ya get ‘ere and why did ya come ‘ere?’ Spot asked again, not trying to be mean but it sure sounded that way. The girl looked at him with her brown eyes, which were a lot like her hair, which changed from brown to black depending on the light. She looked to the ground after staring at Spot, she didn’t feel like answering this boy’s questions but she soon noticed that he wasn’t going to take no for an answer.

“I ran ‘ere.” She finally said. It was an answer, not everything Spot wanted but part. Spot was getting annoyed again.

“Yeah, well where ya come from, and why were ya crying?’ Spot asked, seeing no way out of that question without answering one and with that getting to the other. Again the girl looked to the ground, she was going to start to cry again and Spot could see this. He wasn’t going to back down but he didn’t want her to cry either.

‘Look sweet heart, can’t help ya if I don’t know anything bout ya. Now ya obviously in some kind of trouble.” Spot said. The girl looked up at Spot again and then at the floor.

“I’se just need ta get away from Brooklyn for a little while.’ She said. Spot nodded, he knew that was all she was going to say. He also knew that if anyone could find out what was wrong with her it was Jack, he had a way with girls, or at least a softer way. He would take her to Manhattan.

“Come on, ya wanna wash up before the rest of the newsies wake up.” Spot said heading down the steps, the girl followed. When they got back into the bunk room Spot remember he didn’t know the kid’s name.

“What’s your name?’ He asked.

“Sam.” She replied. Spot was staring at her shoes, they were old and worn but they had laces, or string that was suppose to be Laces.

“Ya shoes are untied.” Spot commented. The girl smiled at his comment.

‘They usually are.” She said. Spot looked up and pushed his hair out of his face.

‘Why, ya don’t know how ta tie them?”

“I never had time ta notice they were untied, so I never tied ‘em.”

“Don’t ya trip?’ Spot questioned.

“Nah.” She said still smiling. Spot lead her to the wash room and she got clean up and by the time she came out Spot was already dressed, he threw some clothing at her.
“ ‘ere wear this.” He said. Sam went back into the washroom and changed and then came out, most of the Newsies were now getting up and they all stopped what they were doing and stared at her. She blushed and walked quickly over to where Spot was. Spot saw that everyone was staring.

“This ‘ere is Laces, she’ll be staying in Manhattan for a while and then may come back ‘ere.” That was all he said. The Brooklyn Newsies didn’t really care they were to much asleep to care what Spot had to say, besides Spot never gave explanations to anyone. They went back to what they were doing and Spot finished putting on his shoes. When he was done he grabbed his cane, put his slingshot into his back pocket and put his hat on.

“Come on.” He said to Sam, Sam had been quiet while he was dressing and now she just stood there and looked at him. Spot was already at the door when he noticed that Sam wasn’t behind him. He turned back around and saw she was just standing there.

“Well what ya waiting for?’ Spot asked annoyed that she hadn’t followed. Sam saw that he looked annoyed and so followed him out the door. Once they were outside though Sam began to ask questions.

“What’s your name?’ was her first question.

“Spot Conlon.” Spot said in half mumble.

“Why’d ya tell ‘em me name was Laces, and why is I gonna stay in Manhattan?’ Sam asked. Spot didn’t look that much older than her and she was not going to listen to him if she didn’t have to.

“Kid, Ya said that ya needed ta get away from Brooklyn, well I’se gonna leave ya in Manhattan with me friends. And I calls ya Laces, cause that’s your name now.” Spot said.

“Who says that’s me name now?’ She asked. Spot was annoying her with his tough boy act. Spot turned and looked at her, his eyes were cold and he just stared at her. Sam got uncomfortable under the stare and so she looked at the ground. At this Spot turned back around and keep walking. When they got to Manhattan Spot started to look for Jack. Jack saw Spot and started to walk over to where he was.

“Heya Jack.” Spot spit into his hand and Jack did the same and then they shook.

“Heya Spot.” Jack said. Sam was staring at this boy, he was taller than Spot almost by a head and he had dark eyes and brown hair. He was quite handsome, or so she thought. Jack and Spot talked for a little while and then Jack turned towards Sam.

“Hello, who’s this?’ Jack asked.

“This ‘ere is Laces, Laces this is Jack Kelly leader of the Manhattan Newsies.” Spot said. Sam stuck out her hand and Jack shook it.

“This ain’t a new goyl is it? She a real tomboy’ Jack asked Spot. Spot made a face and looked like he was about to blush but didn’t.

“No.” Jack nodded.

“Well ya are gonna have lunch with us right?’ Jack asked. Spot nodded and they headed to Tibby’s, Sam walking behind Jack and Spot.

“So she can stay ‘ere for a while? She has a problem in Brooklyn.” Spot was asking Jack.

“Sure Spot, How old is she and ya know what the problem is?’

“She’s 12, and she won’t tell me what the problem is.” Jack nodded.

“We’ll find out sooner or later.” Jack said. At this they entered Tibby’s half of Jack’s Newsies were already there.

“Heya Jack, Spot.” They all said, and then Sam walked in and they all stared at her. Again she went over to Spot and held his arm, she didn’t like people staring at her.

“This ‘ere is Laces.” Spot said. Spot headed to a table with Jack. They sat down and soon a blond boy with a patch over his eye joined them. He looked about 14 or 15 too, just like Jack.

“Heya Laces, me name is Kid Blink on account of me patch ‘ere.” Blink introduced himself.

“Hi.” Laces almost whispered. She was a little shy and still hadn’t let go of Spot’s arm. Blink smiled and then started to talk with Spot and Jack. Sam smiled a bit most of these newsies, as Spot called them, but they ignored her since she didn’t say anything. It was almost as she wasn’t there, she wondered that if after they got to know her they would feel the same way.

“Guess who I saw in Central Park Today with Joel, the Leader of East Side?’ Blink provided the leader part for Sam because she was listening. Blink didn’t wait for anyone to answer, “Luv.” At this Spot and Jack just stared at him.

“She don’t waste any time do she?’ Spot said.

“Is she gonna go out with every leader there is in New Yawk?” Jack sighed.

“Who’s Luv?’ Sam squeaked. Blink looked at her and then began to explain to her who Luv was.

“She’s a nice goyl, it’s just she’s really a heart stealer and well she went out with Spot for about a month and then she was Jack’s goyl for about two weeks.” Blink said. Sam nodded, she didn’t understand why Blink would want to tell Spot and Jack that Luv was now with someone else. Their food came and while the boys eat quickly, Laces only took small bits at a time. She took a long time and everyone was soon done, most Newsies had already left to sell the afternoon edition of The World. Spot was talking to Jack still but he was getting impatient.

“Laces hurry up and stop picking at that food likes ya some kind of mouse.” Spot said sternly. Sam look at Spot and she looked like she was going to cry under the glare but she just swallowed her tears and began to take bigger bites and was done in no time. They went out to buy the afternoon edition but there were very few papes left and so Jack and Spot waited and bought the evening edition of the World too. Spot handed Laces about ten papes out of his stack of 50.

“Ya might as well learn ta sell papes. That’s probably what ya gonna be doin’ ta make money.” Spot said. Sam took the papers and walked behind Spot and Jack again. Spot would call out a headline sometimes and Jack would walk a bit away from him and then he would call out a headline. Laces looked at her papers for the headlines that they had called out but she couldn’t find them. Spot went up to her and grinned.

“Ya aren’t gonna find those headlines, we improve the headlines so that people will buy more unless the headline is good already.” Spot said. Laces nodded she understood what he meant, they lied. Sam looked at the headline in the first page and read the headline Old Police Officer death caused by a cold.,

“They needed better headline writers.” Laces mumbled. “Officer of law died defending his country!’ Sam said while waving a paper around. Two people came up and bought papers from her. She ran up to Spot.

“Look I got 2 cents!” She said with a smile. Spot smiled at her and then he said.

“Good save those 2 cents for boarding tonight and save the rest for papes for tomorrow.” Spot said. Laces nodded her head and then went back to her selling spot. She looked at the Newspaper and found another article that she could sell U.F.O spotting turned out to be just a lighthouse.

“UFO sightings all over the country, government trying to make contact with Alien races!” Laces shouted. A swarm of people came to her and bought the rest of her papers and some even went to buy from Spot because she ran out. When the people left Sam had 11 cents, someone had given her a penny to many she put the coins in her pockets. Then she sat down next to Spot who had about 25 papers left. She hummed a little tune to herself while Spot sold his papers, she felt really safe with Spot around. Jack also made her feel safe, she suddenly remember that Spot had mention her staying here, did this mean he was going to stay here to?

“Spot?” Laces said. Spot looked down at her. “Are ya gonna stay ‘ere in Manhattan with me?” Spot went over to her and messed up her hair a little bit.

“Nah Kid, I gotta go back ta Brooklyn tomorrow, but I’ll come visit when I can.” Spot said. Laces didn’t like the idea that Spot wasn’t going to stay with her but she felt better knowing that he would come visit.

“Spot I’m not a kid, How old are ya?’ Laces asked. Spot grinned at her.

“14 in a week.” Spot said.

“How old is Jack?’ Laces asked.

“16 just turned like a month ago.” Spot answered.

“I’m only a year younger than you and three years younger than Jack, so why do you two call me kid?” Laces asked.

“I dunno, you’se a goyl and you younger than us, ya also look a lot younger than what ya really are.”

“Well stop it.” Laces said in a determined voice.

“Whatever ya say, Kid.” Spot said on purpose. Laces looked at him.

“Don’t do that.” She whined.

“Do what Kid,?” Spot asked.

“Stop.”

“Stop what, Kid?” Spot was beginning to get really annoying.

“If you don’t stop, I’se gonna leave.” Laces said. Jack was watching from his corner where he was almost done selling his papers. He was smiling and trying not to laugh. Spot sold two papers before saying anything.

“I don’t know what ya want me ta stop, Kid,” Spot smiled. Laces got up and walked away from Spot, at first she walked fast. Then started slowing down Spot hadn’t said anything, she had been expecting for Spot to call her back and say he’s sorry. She was about two block down from where Spot had been selling papers, Laces turned around to look at Spot. When she turned around there was no Spot or Jack in sight. Laces ran to where Spot and Jack had been.

“Spot? Jack?” She called out. “Spot Conlon! Jack Kelly!” She yelled. “This ain’t funny!’ she yelled. She was stamping her foot on the sidewalk. No Spot came out, and no Jack came out. They had left without her, they had left her here and she didn’t know her way to The Manhattan NewsBoys Lodging House, or even how to get back to The Brooklyn NewsBoys Lodging House. She sat down where she had just been sitting with Spot on her side just seconds ago. Laces began to cry, at this Spot and Jack who had just been around the corner came out.

“Laces, don’t cry, Kid.” Spot said in a effort to stop her tears. Laces was startled and even though Spot and Jack hadn’t left her she keep crying.

“What’s wrong Laces?” Jack asked.

“Why do people like to leave me?” Laces asked between sobs. Jack looked at Spot and Spot just shrugged. Jack picked Laces up and started to walk to the lodging House with Spot following. Kloppman was at the front desk when he saw Jack walk in with a girl in his arms and Spot following him.

“Spot will explain.” Jack said heading upstairs to lay Laces down on a bed. Kloppman looked to where Spot was standing for an explanation.

“She’s gonna be staying with ya for a while. ‘Er name’s Laces, not sure of a last name ya’ll ‘ave ta ask ‘er bout that. ‘Ere ‘er first night pay.” Spot laid a penny on the counter and signed Laces in and then went upstairs to find out what was wrong with her. He found her still crying, Jack had put her on his bed and all the Manhattan newsies had accumulated around her. Spot went up to Jack.

“Ain’t there a private room where ya can put ‘er?” Spot asked.

“Yeah.” Jack nodded and again lifted Laces off his bed and headed out the bunkroom with Spot behind him. The rest of the Newsies knew better than to follow. Spot closed the door to the little room across the hall from the bunkroom. Laces was quieting down now and almost wasn’t crying at all. Jack put her down and he sat down and the bed and Spot leaned against a wall. Laces sniffled a little and then looked from Spot to Jack.

“Don’t ever do that again.” She said almost breaking down again.

“Sorry Laces, we didn’t know that you would break down like that.” Jack said.

“Ya wanna tell us what’s wrong?” Spot asked. Laces was silent for a little while again she looked from Spot to Jack. They both looked like they just wanted to help her, she could see that but to tell them about her past.

“My mother died, and my baby Brother. Ever since I never liked being alone I feel like people leave me because there’s something wrong with me.” Laces said. Then she buried her head into Jack’s shoulder. Spot looked at her, ‘poor kid’ he thought, ‘she had probably had a hard past.’ Spot doubted that she was a orphan though, he had a feeling about her. Spot had felt like there was something wrong with him after his father had left and then when his mom died giving birth to a little brother who died shortly after being born, and his sister disappeared and he was left with his little sister who died in the orphanage. Spot shuddered at remembering these feelings and memories which he had worked so hard to get rid of. He looked at Laces who still had her head in Jack’s shoulder.

“Laces, I’se sorry but ya shouldn’t ‘ave walked off like that. You’se gotta learn ta control that temper of yours. Now you’se betta get some sleep.” Spot said. Laces lifted her head, she got up and hugged Spot, and this sudden acted of emotion startled Spot. He was caught off guard and so he just stared at Jack who again was holding back his laughter. Spot patted Laces on the back and when she let go of Spot she looked at him and pecked him on the cheek. This again caught Spot off guard and he almost blushed, Jack was going to burst and then Sam turned around and did the same thing to Jack.

“Good night.” Laces said. Jack and Spot looked at her for a second and then sighed.

“Night, Kid.” They said and walked out.

‘I still don’t like ta be called Kid.” She called out.

“Whatever ya say, Kid.” Spot answered and with that he closed the door to her small room. Laces looked out the window and then she took off the pants that Spot had given her this morning to wear. She hopped into Bed and stared at the ceiling.

“You’re quite a lucky goyl, Samantha Melissa Blanch,” She giggled at this, “ ta run away and find such a wonderful pair of boys to take care of ya.” Laces said to herself. “Laces Blanch. Laces Kelly. Laces Conlon.” Laces whispered and fell asleep thinking pleasant thoughts. Around two in the morning Spot woke up and heard above the snores of some newsies. He heard crying, almost distant. He rolled out of bed and walked quietly across the hall and went into Sam’s room. She was crying into her pillow again. Spot sat on her bed and started to run his fingers through her hair.

“Shh, don’t cry anymore. You’re safe from whatever you’re running from. And ya got a family now.” Spot whispered. She turned around and sat up and wrapped her arms around Spot. Spot was startled again, he wasn’t use to hugs and this kid seemed to give a lot. Jack slipped into the room and once Spot got Laces to lay down again and fall asleep he got up and him and Jack left and went downstairs.

“Do ya know if she does that a lot?” Jack asked.

“I’ve only know ‘er for 2 days Jack. And she has done it both days.” Spot said. Jack nodded they went into the kitchen, both boys wanted to drink something. Jack went to the cupboard and opened it, but found nothing but Coffee.

“Coffee?” Jack asked. Spot nodded and sat down while Jack prepared it.

“Spot, how’s it going in Brooklyn?” Jack asked.

“It’s okay, and I’se know what your thinking Jack and the answer’s still no.” Spot said.

“But Spot why’d ya leave Manhattan in the foist place, those Brooklyn Newsies don’t even like ya.” Jack said.

“Jack we both know why I left Manhattan because if Luv and ya. Hey I know that wasn’t your fault but I can’t live ‘ere with ya being the leader and all, I don’t like people bossing me around.”

“Well Night is the Leader of Brooklyn, what bout ‘im bossing ya around?” Jack asked.

“Nah that’s different because he ain’t a friend and I don’t listen ta ‘im.” Spot said.

“That’s gonna get ya into trouble one day.” Jack said and then dropped it. He had been trying to get Spot to come back to Manhattan since he had broken up with Luv, but Spot just wouldn’t come back. Jack had been mad at first, he had watched over Spot since he was 10 and Spot was 8 and they were both in the refugee and Spot sister Linda was still alive. The boys had their coffee in silence, neither even really liked coffee.

“Well I’se leaving after lunch today, ya promise ta watch Laces for me?” Spot asked.

“Coise, I will Spot. That kid is in good hands. Ya are coming back next week right? On Thursday? So we can go ta Medda’s and celebrate ya 14th boythday?” Jack asked. Spot nodded.

“I wouldn’t miss it for the Woild.” Spot smiled. Both boys laughed as they heard Kloppman climbing up the stairs and shouting at the Newsies to wake up. They got up and went back upstairs to change and get ready for another day of selling papers.


***************
Next week: March


Spot was walking on the Brooklyn Bridge and heading towards Manhattan. He rubbed his jaw that still hurt, he had gotten into another fight with Night’s thug, James. James hated Spot more than Night himself and Spot had said something and they had gotten into a fight. Spot smiled when he remembered the great punched that left James with a black eye to remember Spot Conlon by. One of these days he was going to get into a huge fight with Nights and James. Spot smirked he could beat Night in a fight, heck he could beat both Night and James in a fight. Spot was close to Medda’s now and as soon as he was going to walk in Laces came up to him.

“Happy birthday Spot!” She said with a smile. Spot turned and looked at her.

“Thanks, Kid.” Spot said with a smiled.

“Don’t call me that. I turn 13 today!’ Laces said. Spot’s jaw dropped and he looked at Laces, her eyes and brown hair in the light of the sun, which was just setting.

“It’s your boythday today?’ He asked, still not believing what he had heard. Laces nodded her smiling getting bigger by the minute.

“Why then, ‘appy boythday, Kid.” Spot said. Laces went up and gave him a hug and they walked into Medda’s together. As soon as they walked in everyone started to sign Happy Birthday. Spot smiled as he noticed that she seemed happier than that first night he had found her.

“ ‘appy boythday dear Spot and Laces, ‘Appy boythday ta ya!’ The newsies finished off. Spot and Laces sat at a table with Jack and Racetrack.

“Heya Spot, Laces, ‘appy boythday ta the both of ya!” Race said. Jack got up and shook Spot’s hand and then he hugged Laces. They sat down and out came Medda and began to perform for the Newsies.

“That’s me friend Medda, she owns the joint.” Jack whispered into Laces’ ear. She performed for a little while and during one of her songs Spot got up and asked Laces to dance with him

“Come on Kid let’s dance.” Spot said. Laces didn’t get up.

‘I told ya not ta call me Kid.” Laces stared at him. Spot laughed.

“Get up.” He said grabbing her arm and pulling her out of her chair. When they were already dancing Laces grinned and looked at Spot.

“I’m gonna call ya pup.” Laces said. Spot stared at her for a second.

“If ya want Kid.” He said. Laces looked at him, her smile had gone and she just looked disappointed.

“That don’t annoy ya?” She asked hopefully.

“Nah, not in the least bit. Whatever ya want, Kid.” He said.

“I will find something that will bug ya, Spot.” Laces warned, Spot laughed and walked her back to where they had been sitting because the song was over. The next dance Spot just looked around the room and he suddenly said,

“What’s she doin’ ‘ere?’ Jack looked towards Spot and then followed his gaze.

“Well if it ain’t the devil ‘erself.” He said. Laces was dancing with Blink , when she looked over to Spot and Jack who were both staring at someone. She followed their gaze and saw a girl, a very thin girl on a very tall handsome guy that Laces hadn’t seen before.

“Blink? Who’s that?” Laces asked. Blink looked to where she was pointing and stopped dancing.

“Well I’ll be damn, I don’t believe she came.” He said.

“Who is she?’ Laces asked.

“Luv.” He answered, now she half understood why Jack and Spot were staring at her. But why had Luv come at all? Luv was making her way towards where Spot and Jack were sitting. Laces and Blink went over there now to.

“Why hello boys. I came ta wish Spot ‘ere a happy birthday.” She said in a innocent voice. Spot got up and gave her a hug and shook the guy she was with hand. Jack did the same, then they all sat down.

“Luv, what happened ta Joel, every time we’se see you’se with a new leader, hell it makes me wonder why ya were my goyl?” Spot asked under his breath so that the guy she was with couldn’t hear but Laces was listening.

“I actually liked ya, Spot.” She commented.

“Yeah that’s why ya kissed Jack?” His eyebrow shot up.

“I said liked, I got bored and Jack was cute and he had just become the leader.” She said. Spot nodded he understood how Luv worked now, most Newsies did now but when he had Luv as his girl she had been new to town. Laces looked at Luv, she was thin, very thin and had dirty blond hair that was long and almost curly. She had blue eyes and a wide smile, and quiet a way with guys.

“So Duck, how’s Queens?’ Jack asked. Duck was the leader of Queens, and Laces had to hide her face in Spot’s shoulder to keep from laughing at the ridiculous nickname that he had.

“It’s okay. Haven’t had any troubles in a while. How’s things ‘ere in Manhattan?” Duck asked.

‘Fine, everything has been runnin’ smoothly since our goyl Luv ‘ere left.” Jack said with a smirk. Duck looked at Luv who was staring around the room at everyone.

“Spot let’s dance!’ she said. Spot winced but agreed to Dance. Laces just sat there uncomfortable not knowing Duck, and she didn’t have anyone to talk to. Racetrack seeing her just sitting there went over and asked her to dance.

“The boythday goyl has ta give me the ‘onor of this dance.” Race said with a little bow and wink. Laces got up and took his hand. Once on the dance floor Laces whispered into his ear.

“Thanks Race.”

“Nuthin’ ta it Laces. Don’t ya go ruining your night cause of Luv and Duck. They show up very once in a while not both of ‘em just Luv and any guy she’s with at the time. We’se all use ta ‘er, she ain’t no real trouble anymore.” Race said.

“Yeah she looks like she’d be nice, but I need someone ta talk ta and I don’t think she’ll be the one.” Laces mumbled.

“Well ya can talk ta any of us kid.” Race said. Laces gave Race a glare before saying anything at the word kid.

“Yeah but sometimes I just need a woman ta talk ta Race. You guys ‘ave all been great but it’s just ain’t the same.” Laces said resting her head on Race’s shoulder.

“Yeah Kid that can be true.” Race said almost more to himself than to Laces. Laces gritted her teeth he was going to quit calling her that none of them were going to. They danced for a little while and then Race lead her back to where him, Mush and Skittery were sitting.

“Heya it’s the boythday goyl!’ Mush said. He got up and pecked Laces on the cheek, Skittery told her to sit next to him.

“So Laces how’s ya Boythday been?’ Skittery asked.

‘It’s been just wonderful. I don’t believe all this.” She said as she sat down next to Skittery and Race.

“You’se want a drink?” Mush asked. Laces nodded. “Alcohol?” Mush questioned.

“Hey get me a something dry, not whiskey though.” Race said.

“And get me anything with Alcohol that ain’t that bad tasting.” Skittery said. They all looked at Laces.

“Is there anything without Alcohol in it? She asked. Mush laughed.

“Yeah, don’t worry I get you something without alcohol.” Mush walked away and Race and Skittery started to talk with Laces.

“So how old are ya?’ They asked. Laces had spent only a week with the Manhattan Newsies and they barely knew anything about her. They knew her name and they loved her way of laughing, and most the Newsies knew that she woke up in early in the morning and began to cry and Jack had to calm her down. That’s about all they knew about their little friend, Laces like her Newsies friends knew very little about the Newsies.

“I turned 13.” She said with a smile. “How old are ya guys?’

“I’se just turned 15, But Race and Mush ‘ere are still 14.” Skittery said.

“When did ya turn 15?’ Laces asked.

“Two months ago.” Skittery said.

“When do ya turn 15 Race?”

“Let’s see if today is March 5th I turned 15 in about a month and a half.”


“Um, If I’se member correctly it’s April 2nd. The day after April fools day!’ Race said. Laces was laughing, Race always made her laugh.

“How bout Mush?’

“He turns 15 next month, on the 17th.” Skittery said. Laces nodded and made a mental note to write this down when she got back to the Lodging House. Mush came back with the drinks and he hand Race and Skittery their drinks first and then handed Laces hers.

“It’s Soda Pop, Medda had some, she said she prefer it if we boys didn’t drink cause we were ta young but she ain’t our mother and she ain’t gonna push us.” Mush said with a smirk. Laces took a sip of the drink and the little bubbles tickled her throat as they went down. It was a wonderful feeling and the drink tasted great. Medda came out on stage and clapped her hands to get everyone’s attention.

“Could I please have the Birthday Boy and girl come up her please!’ she said. At this Spot looked around to see where Laces had gone. Race and Skittery Pushed Laces out of her chair and got her moving. When Spot saw her he went up to her and offered his arm. She took it and they went up on stage together and Jack and Blink rolled a huge cake out from behind the curtain and again all the Newsies began to sign Happy Birthday. Spot and Laces looked at each other and smiled, they both blew out the candles and everyone cheered.

“Boythday people need ta dance together!’ Jack shouted with a smile. Spot took Laces hand and began to dance with her. The Newsies were cheering loudly and clapping and whistling and so on.

The night was ended almost at 2 in the morning. Jack, Blink, Spot, and Laces were the last left when the party was over.

“Thanks Medda for everything.” Jack was saying.

“It’s was nothing, I hope ya two had a good birthday.” Medda said.

“It was wonderful Medda.” Laces said.

“Glad ya like it Honey.” Medda said as she gave Laces a hug.

“Well I better get going back to Brooklyn.” Spot said. “See ya all later.” Spot headed towards the door.

“Jack ya don’t mind if I go with Spot do you?’ Laces asked in her overly sweet manner that meant, you better not object Jack. Jack knew that even if he cared Laces didn’t care. So he shrugged and off Laces went after Spot.

“That goyl sure is something huh?” Blink said after she had raced out the door.

“I think she is.” Jack said. “sides she sure is gonna cause us some headaches.”

*********

“Spot!’ Laces called after Spot who wasn’t that far in front of her. Spot turned and saw her running up to him.
“What ‘ell ya doin’ out ‘ere kid?’ Spot asked.

“Nuthin’ I just decided I would go ta Brooklyn with ya. I don’t want ya ta walk alone, I just stay there tonight and come back ‘ere tomorrow.” Laces said. Spot shrugged.

“Well if ya want ta.” He started to walk again, this time with Laces at his heel.

“So what ya been up ta ‘ere in Manhattan?’ Spot asked.

“Well, Jack says I almost as good as ‘im at sellin’ papes. He also says that me mouth is gonna get me in trouble.” Laces said.

“Now why would ‘e say that?’ Spot smiled.

“Well, ‘e says I talk back to much and well I disagree with everything and like arguing.” Laces said. Spot laughed.

“Well ya haven’t disagreed with me and I don’t recommend arguing with me ya’d lose.” Spot smirked. Laces stopped and put her hands on her hips.

“What?’ She demanded.

“What, what kid?’ Spot asked. Knowing perfectly well what she meant, but she looked cute mad.

“’ow da ya know that I’se would lose if I argued with ya?’ Laces said in a angry tone which amused Spot.

“Ah, well because.” Spot said and keep walking. Laces stared at his back for a few seconds and then decided to catch up with him.

“Ya are the most nerve wrecking boy that ever lived Spot Conlon.” Laces said.

“Now how ya figure that Kid?’ Spot said. Laces didn’t say anything for a little while, she pretend that she hadn’t heard Spot. They were in the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge and there was a full moon out. The night was cold and neither Spot nor Laces had any jackets so they were both shivering. Laces suddenly said out of no where.

“What’s your real name Spot?’ Spot keep walking and then he stared at the water below the bridge.

“Wells now it’s… Wouldn’t ya like ta know.” Spot had a cynical look on his face.

“Oh your horrible Spot Colon!” Laces said, at his little remark. She started to run down the rest of the Bridge and Spot ran after her, it was a good way to keep warm. When they got to the end of the Bridge though they were out of breath. Spot took all the back alleys and short cuts to get to the Lodging House earlier because it was really getting cold out, the morning winds were coming in. Spot grumbled about not being able to get any sleep. When they got to the lodging house they climbed up the fire escape and Spot told Laces to sleep on the bottom bunk for what was left of the night. Spot and Laces fell asleep as soon as their heads touched the pillows.

“SPOT!” someone was yelling. Spot opened his eyes and looked around the room, most of the Newsies were already gone but at the door he saw three figures. When his eyes focused to the light again he looked towards the door, there was Night, a mid sized boy of about 18 with black hair and James a huge boy of about 17 with red hair trying to get Laces out of the room. James had her mouth covered and was holding her upper body. Night was about to get her legs so they could carry her out. Spot jumped out of bed and grabbed his cane, which was under the mattress.

“Ya let ‘er go now!’ Spot said. James and Night looked at Spot and laughed.

“What ya gonna do if we don’t shorty.” James said.

“Don’t tell me this pretty littl’ thing is ya goyl?’ Night said. Spot glared at them and asked them again.

“Are ya gonna let her go or do I get ta get me hands doity?” Spot asked. James picked Laces up and swung her onto his shoulder and moved over to a bed where he dropped her. Spot didn’t wait for them to get ready, he went at Night. He pushed his cane into the older boy’s stomach and watched him double over. He then turned just in time to get a right hook into his left eye. Spot stumbled for a second and then threw a few jabs a hook and right cross that left James on the floor. Night was pushing Spot into a corner where Night knew he could probably knock him out.

“Ya know what we gonna do ta your littl’ goyl friend?” James was off the ground and heading towards Laces who was on the bed he had left her watching him come towards her.

“Run Laces.” Spot yelled at her. Laces got up and started to run but before she got to the door James caught her, while Night had gotten Spot into a corner.

“How bout a kiss for me.” James was saying to Laces. He had her in his arms and was staring at her.

“NEVER!” Laces yelled. She started to get herself lose and then tried punching him in a struggle to get out of his grip.

“Ah I think Ise can change your mind.” James was saying. He now tried to force a kiss onto Laces. Spot was ducking punches and trying to get out of the corner he was in but succeeding. Laces tried to pull away from the kiss but James just held her tighter and then she knew what to do, she would kick him. Laces kicked and sure enough her kick landed where it was meant to and James released her and fell to the ground hands cupped over his crotch. Spot was punching Night in the face and then he grabbed his cane and hit Night over the head with it and James fell to grab his head, which was now bleeding. Spot looked at Laces, she was huddled over by the door. He run over to her and picked her up.

“We gotta go before they get up again.” Spot said. Laces nodded and made Spot put her down. They ran out of the Lodging House and ran all the way to Manhattan taking all the shortcuts there. When they got there it was lunchtime so Spot lead Laces over to Tibby’s. Both Spot and Laces were dying for sleep but they had to have something to eat to. When they entered Tibby’s everything went silent.

“What Happen?” Race asked. Spot sat down at a near by both and Laces sat next to him. Jack was no where to be seen.

“Where’s Jack?’ Laces asked. Just then the door opened and Jack walked in with a girl on his. Everyone was silent for the second time in less than a minute. Spot and Laces turned around to look at what everyone was staring at.

“This ‘ere is Buttercup Tate, me new goyl.” Jack said with a kiss on the girl’s cheek. Laces and Spot both groaned and Jack turned to them and was going to demand why they had groaned when he saw the state they were in.

“What the ‘ell happened?’ he demand. He went over to where they were sitting and looked at Spot whose mouth was bleeding and Laces who was a mess and had bruises around her wrists forming. Laces also looked like she was about to cry and Spot looked mad and worried.

“I’se just got into a fight with Night and James.” Spot said. Jack stared at him and then at Laces.

“It was awful Jack!” Laces said and with that fell to crying again. When she burst into tears Spot put his arm around her. Jack got up and looked around, he sighed.

“’ave ya two eaten anything?’ He asked. Spot shook his head and Laces just keep crying.

“Well after ya eat something I’ll walk with ya back ta the Lodging House and ya can sleep and tell me the story tonight.” Jack said. He kneeled down and put his hand on Laces back.

“Laces please stop crying. Ya need ta eat something and then we take ya back ta the lodging House.” Jack said. Buttercup came up and sat down at the booth with Jack. Laces composed herself and looked over Buttercup. Spot was also looking the girl over and Buttercup could not stand both of them staring at her. Unlike most girls though she did not look away but stared right back while Jack ordered the food.

“So Buttercup this ‘ere is Spot Conlon and Laces Blanch.” Jack said. “Like I’se said before this ‘ere is Buttercup Tate.”

“So where ya get ‘er ya didn’t seem ta ‘ave ‘er last night.” Spot said with a try at a grin. Jack smiled.

“Ah she was suppose ta come last night but it seem that she had ta work.”

“Where ya work?’ Laces asked.

“At me families dress shop.” Buttercup said. Bill the waiter brought the food and everyone began to eat almost silently. Laces again started slowly and was picking at her food, even though she was growing out of the habit now she still did it just more quickly. When everyone was finally done, Laces was about to drop and fall asleep where ever she could so Jack picked her up and carried her most of the way to the Lodging House until she told him to put her down.

“Okay I’se gotta walk Buttercup back ta the dress shop and finish sellin’ me papes and so ya two get some rest and then I’se be back tonight.” Jack said and with that headed off. Spot and Laces looked at each other and then entered the Lodging House. Kloppman was at the desk and looked up when the door sounded it was too early for the Newsies to be coming in.

“Spot? Laces?’ He asked confused for a second. Then he saw spot’s bloody lip and how pale Laces still was. “What happened?’ He asked as he went for his first aid kit so that he could clean Spot up. When he got the first aid kit Spot was already sitting in a chair near the desk so that Kloppman wouldn’t have to direct him.

“Ya and Jack sure don’t let this first aid kit rest, but I must say it has been bored since ya left.” Kloppman said. Spot rolled his eyes, Kloppman was also trying to make jokes about how him and Jack would fight so much.

“Who’d ya fight with this time?’ Kloppman asked, while working on Spot’s lip.

“Night and James, but mostly Night.” Spot mumbled. Kloppman nodded he knew that would happen, Spot wasn’t meant to be a regular newsie he was meant to be a leader, he didn’t like taking orders. Kloppman finished quickly and told them to go upstairs and get some rest, Laces had practically fallen asleep on the stairs. Spot threw himself in the first bunk he found and Laces did the same. They fell asleep before even hitting the bed.

*************

Almost Two weeks later


“Laces, Laces. Where are you?’ Buttercup had just entered the Lodging House most of the Boys were not home yet from selling papes but Laces had promised to be there because they needed to get ready for the poker game that was going to be held tonight in Harlem. Jack and Buttercup’s relationship was going well and Buttercup wanted to do something really special and dress up and look her best for him tonight. Buttercup went up to Kloppman.

“Isn’t she here yet?’ She asked. Kloppman had learned to tuned Buttercup out, most of the Newsies had because well she had a tenancy to talk too much sometimes if you gave her the chance.

“What?’ he asked.

“Laces, she is not here yet?’ Buttercup asked. Another thing about Buttercup she had gone to school and did not talk the slang of the streets but proper English.

“Nah, she ain’t ‘ere yet.” Kloppman replied at that the door flew open and slam shut.

“Heya Tate sorry I’se late but I had ta finish selling me papes.” Laces said. Buttercup turned and faced her.

“It’s okay.” She said. “Come on I brought ya a dress that should fit ya perfectly.” Both girls headed up the stairs and Kloppman want back to writing in his books thanking that Laces had arrived because he felt uncomfortable around Buttercup.

When the girls entered the large Bunkroom upstairs, Buttercup opened the bag she was carrying.

“The first thing we must do is you must bathe. You look like you haven’t in days, maybe even weeks.” Buttercup said. Laces smiled.

‘Now I don’t really got time do I’se.” She headed to the washroom though and closed the door behind her so that she could take the long needed bath. While Laces took a shower, Buttercup was putting on her dress and trying to fix her hair. Buttercup was wearing a blue dress that went well with her white skin and light brown hair that was very long. Laces came out with her under clothing on, looking much refreshed. Buttercup was standing in front of the mirror trying to get her hair up in a new way.

“The dress on the bed, put it on.” Laces looked on the bed there was a white dress, it was very simple but yet very pretty.

“Do I’se really ‘ave ta wear the dress?’ Laces asked. Buttercup gave her a look.

“You can not be a tomboy all the time you have to let those boys know that you are a girl.”

Laces slipped it on, it had a low neck and it was neither high nor low and had pink trimming. Buttercup finally got her hair up and she turned to see how her friend was getting along.

‘Whadda ya think Tate?’ Laces asked.

“You look Wonderful.” Buttercup said. Laces had her hand in her hair, which was in a ponytail, it had been really long but it was to much of a hassle. So she had chopped most of it off it was a little higher than her shoulders now. Buttercup had actually cut it for her, so that Laces wouldn’t make an uneven cut. Laces and Buttercup had become the best of friends since that night at Tibby’s after the fight. Now they were almost always together when they had a moment. Both had to work though so they almost never saw each other in the mornings, but they would usually make time in the late evening to get a glimpse at each other.

“Put your hair down you aren’t working.” Buttercup said.

“I could do that.” Laces said. “But I dunno.”

“Put it down.” Buttercup insisted. Laces took her pony tail out and looked in the mirror.

“Tate, I didn’t even dress this nicely for me own party and I’se gonna dress like this for a poker game?’ Laces asked always being practical. Laces didn’t really like being in dresses she loved the pants that spot had given her and spent all her time in the same boy outfit.

“You are going to leave that dress on.” Buttercup said. Laces heard the door downstairs open and the storm of Newsies walk in greet Kloppman and come upstairs. For some reason Laces felt like hiding from them but she didn’t move. When the Newsies walked in they stopped at the door. One by one they came in and stopped and last to come in was Spot and Jack.

“Why’d ya all stop?’ Spot asked. Then he looked around the bunkroom and saw Laces and Buttercup. He mostly noticed Laces though, she looked like a girl. Jack was staring at both girls going back in forth.

“Why what happened ta ya kid?’ Spot asked Laces. Laces went up to Spot and hit him in the shoulder.

“Nuthin. Ya should learn ta be more courteous ta a goyl.” Laces said. Race whistled and Jack laughed. Jack went up to Buttercup and offered his arm.

“Should we be off?” Jack asked. Buttercup nodded and took Jack’s arm. They went out of the room and a lot of newsies followed. Before Spot could get to Laces though she slipped in between Race and Skittery.

“Heya guys how did sellin’ go taday?” She asked. They made no objection to her company and Spot was left to follow. He shoved his hands into his pockets and smiled at the thought that he would corner her and make her walk home with him. The Manhattan Newsies got to the poker game right on time.

“Race, I forgot how ta play poker.” Laces was mumbling just as they entered the old abandoned building.

“Again!” Race grumbled about Laces forgetting his favorite game again. He had taught her how to play 3 times in the last three weeks and so had almost every other newsies. Every time she was going to play, she never remembered how to play.

“Well..” Laces began and Skittery ran his hand through his hair and Race lit another cigar.

“Hey Laces I teach ya how ta play again.” Spot said coming to the rescue of the other newsies.

“Great Spot will teach ya, again.” Race said and started to walk away, Skittery also left and Spot came up to Laces and smiled.

“So why can’t ya member how ta play a simple game like poker Kid?’ Spot said. Laces shrugged, she was really getting use to Kid. “Okay I’se tell ya what, I’se teach ya again and then ya can play with the younger kids, ya know Jack’s new ones. When ya get the hang of the game come over and join the game that me or Jack is playin’.” Spot sat down at the nearest empty table. He called over the new Newsies that Jack had found in the last few weeks. There were about 3 of them a little African American boy named Boots who was 10 years old. Then there was Snipeshooter who was only 8 years old and Swifty who was 9 years old.

“Ya guys know how to play poker?’ Spot asked the boys.

“Not really Spot.” Snipeshooter said.

“Good sit. Ice gonna teach ya all how ta play.” Spot said. The younger boys sat down and Spot shuffled the cards.

Spot didn’t take long teaching them all how to play poker, as soon as Laces remembered how which was after the third game Spot went to join Jack and Race’s game.

“Laces are ya and Spot together?’ Snipeshooter asked after Spot had left. Laces shot a glare at Spot who has his back to the group now and then looked at Snipes in complete shock.

“Now where would ya get an idea like that?’ She asked. Still shuffling the cards and almost dropping them all a few times.

“Well ya and him are always together and that’s how Buttercup and Jack are and their together?’ Snipes said in his defense. Laces laughed, she couldn’t help herself.

“Well that’s true but I also spend a lot of time with Skittery and Race does that mean I’m together with t’em?” Laces asked.

“Well, it’s just whenever Spot is always around a goyl he is together with ‘er. The other night I hoid Blink and Mush talkin’ bout Spot and how ever since ya had come along they hadn’t seen him with a new goyl. Spot use ta bring a new goyl around every week or so. Ya ‘ave been around for almost two months now.” Snipes said. When he looked at the stern face that Laces had on he stare at the ground thinking that he must have said something wrong. Laces was also to happy for her own good and the Newsies rarely saw her with a long face, expect when she would wake up crying but that was almost never thought of anymore, because she didn’t do that as often anymore.

“Snipe ya really shouldn’t eavesdrop it ain’t nice. And Ice only been around for like a month. But Ice not mad at ya it’s just some boys from Brooklyn just got ‘ere. Ya boys stay ‘ere and play don’t move and if a fight breaks lose ya run, ya hear?’ Laces said getting up. The young Newsies nodded their heads, and keep playing poker as if nothing had happened. Laces was making her way through the bunches of Newsies sitting at tables or standing. Anytime she passed a table there would be whistling and then a familiar voice would tell the voices to shut up and Laces would smile to herself. Finally Laces saw where Buttercup was standing and Jack, Race, Spot and another boy unfamiliar to Laces was sitting at the table playing in a cloud of smoke.

“Spot!’ Laces said loud enough for him to hear. He put his cards down and looked up.

“So ya ready ta play with us already, Kid?’ Spot asked with a smile on his lips. Laces was at his side now.

“No, Spot look.” Spot followed where Laces pointed and saw the two guys from Brooklyn.

“Oh great. Ya haven’t seen Night or James ‘ave ya?’ Spot gritted his teeth. Laces shook her head, Spot ran his hand through his hair thinking if he should leave or just wait. Spot Conlon didn’t ran away from anyone so he decided to sit there and keep playing to the dismay of Laces.

“Spot what are ya doin’ we’se gotta get out of ‘ere?’ Laces said.

“Laces, Spot Conlon don’t run from anyone.” Spot said and Laces said no more even though she wanted to slap Spot for being so proud. But that was Spot for you. Laces didn’t move from where she was, she put her hand on Spot’s shoulder when the two Brooklyn Newsies started to head to the table where Spot was. Every time they took a step closer Laces would tighten her grip on Spot shoulder. When they were about a table away Spot glared up at Laces.

‘The arms dead, Kid. I would thank ya not to break the bone up there.” Spot said. Laces let her hand fall to her side and stood there with a not-so-pleasant look. Buttercup meanwhile was freaking out, she was trying to get Jack to leave and was about ready to go into a fit if he didn’t leave, but he refused. Buttercup was pacing back and forth, when the Brooklyn boys stood right next to Laces.

“Well, looky ‘ere Spot Conlon and ‘is little goyl. We figured we find ya ‘ere tonight.” The bigger boy said, he had black hair and brown eyes he was big and was making Laces very nervous.

“Hello Knuckles, Fists.” Spot said without looking up. His cool matter made the two boys shift their weight and the boys names made Lace dig her nails into her own hand.

“So ya beat up Night and James eh?’ The taller boy with the black eyes and black hair asked.

“Yeah I did. Ya got a problem with that Knuckles?’ Spot asked, placing a card down but still not lifting an eye to look at the boys. Spot was not wasting any unnecessary energy.

“Not really see, Night and James well we ran them out when we found out what had happened because Deer had been in the hall.” Knuckles said, the taller of the two.

“Yeah so?’ Spot asked, still not looking.

“Well, we came ta ask ya if ya wanted ta come back ta Brooklyn?’ The smaller, but more rough looking with red hair and brown eyes boy said.

“Now why would I want ta do that?’ Spot asked. He was surprised by the question but again he showed no sign of emotion just a slightly different pitch in his voice.

“Conlon we want ya ta become the leader of Brooklyn.” Knuckles said. He was getting impatient. At this Spot looked up, actually most all the Newsies looked up because Knuckles had said it rather loudly; he had almost shouted it.

“Leader?’ Spot repeated softly that no one heard and the wind carried it off. Spot paused for less than a second and then looked back down finished the round and stood up. “Sure boys.” Was all he said and everyone went back to playing because Spot had this glare that told them they had better go back to playing.

“I’se ‘ave ta go ta the Manhattan Lodging House ta get me cane and slingshot though.” Spot said to no one in particular. “See ya all later.” He said, looking at Jack mostly but saying nothing more. Spot walked towards the door once he was outside he heard footsteps behind him, he turned and saw Laces following him.

“Now why is it when I leave somewhere not wanting ta be followed I always end up with a tag along?’ Spot asked. Laces walked up casually.

“Now how do ya know I’se following ya, I’se could been heading a different way.” Laces said sticking her nose up in the air.

“Yeah sure kid, whatever.” Spot laughed.

“Stop calling me Kid.” Laces said in a whining voice. Spot keep walking like nothing, so Laces decided to ask.

“So what ya gonna do as leader of Brooklyn?”

“Nuthin’ special. Just the same all thing just with more power now.” Laces wondered about this and came to one conclusion Spot would just get a bigger ego, but she could be wrong.

“Ya gonna leave tonight?’ Laces asked. Spot nodded.

“Yeah, I’se gonna move into Night’s old room.” Spot said. Laces nodded at this, it seemed logical. “So why did ya leave the poker game?” Spot asked Laces.

“Uh, I can’t go play after what happen, besides I’se real tried.” Laces yawned at this, to prove that she was tried.

“Yeah well I’se hope ya get some sleep.” Spot said with a grin. They got to the Lodging House and Laces jumped on her bed and watched Spot grab his stuff. Spot stopped at the door and stared at Laces, then he started to laugh.

“What are ya laughing at?’ Laces asked.

“Look at what ya done ta that dress. Just goes ta show ya, ya can’t turn ya into a lady.” Spot said still laughing. Laces looked at the dress, it was covered with dirt and mud from the streets because she hadn’t bothered to lifted it. She was about to say something to Spot, but when she looked up he was gone.

“I will get ya one day Spot Conlon.” Laces mumbled as she went to the washroom to change. Spot had left the lodging house quickly because he wanted to get back to Brooklyn and we wanted to get away from Laces. He was afraid he was falling in love with her and that couldn’t happen, he couldn’t fall in love with that girl.

*********

June 1898:


The weeks passed and Spot didn’t visit Manhattan much anymore. Everyone figured it was because now he was the leader and all that. Spot had visited Manhattan once in the past month or so after he became the leader with a new girl named Sugar. But that was the last that anyone had seen of him.

Laces had been spending a lot of time with Buttercup, and with Race, Blink and Skittery. She saw a lot of Jack and whenever she woke up crying which really didn’t happen anymore Jack was the one to calm her down. Laces was forgetting why she had been so unhappy when Spot had found her but, once in a while she would have a dream, a horrible reminder. Most of the time though she was happy, cheerful and outright peppy. She would bounce off the walls and all the Newsies had come to love her cheery way. She usually sold in the morning and then would head to Buttercup’s family dress shop where she would stay for a little while and then head back to the Lodging House. Laces was almost done selling her last papers when she saw a familiar person walk down the street.

“Luv?” She said almost to herself. She was on the arm of a tall, skinny guy that Laces had seen around and thought was from Midtown.

“Heya Laces, I’se was just in the neighborhood and thought I would come over and say hi ta me favorite Newsies. So how’s Spot?’ She asked when she walked up, not bothering to introduce the guy that was most likely the leader of Midtown.

“Have ya heard he became the leader of Brooklyn like three months ago. So I’se haven’t really seen him.” Laces said. Luv stared at her in disbelief.

“Spot’s the leader of Brooklyn?’ she asked as if maybe it weren’t true.

“Yeah Spot is the leader of Brooklyn, he soaked Night and James good and then became the leader.” Laces said while selling her last paper.

“Wow. I’se should go say hi.” Luv said more to herself than anyone.

“I’se sure it would surprise ‘im. Well if ya don’t mind Luv I must be goin’.” Laces said.

“Oh no, not at all. Nice seeing ya Laces.” Luv said absently. Laces walked off smiling. She had heard the talk about Luv, she only dated leaders but she had dated Spot. She had cheated on Spot and with Jack, she had gone out with Spot even though he wasn’t a leader and that’s why Spot had left Manhattan and gone to Brooklyn. Now that Spot was a leader, Luv was sure to go looking for him. Laces walked into the dress shop and leaned against the counter. Buttercup was standing on a stool beginning measured by her older sister for a dress.

“Heya Tate,” Laces said. Laces was the only one who ever called Buttercup, Tate. Laces liked being different and liked short names and Buttercup was a little to long.

“Hello Laces.” Buttercup said not looking done in fear that she would fall off the stool.

“Guess who I’se just saw?” Laces said.

“Who?” Buttercup asked, she didn’t like guessing games.

“Luv, with the leader of Midtown.” Laces said.

“Doesn’t that girl ever come here alone?’ Buttercup asked. Laces shook her head.

“Nope. Hey ya know what it has been exactly five months since I became a Newsies.” Laces said with a smile.

“Well I glad.” Buttercup said not being able to think of what else to say.

“Yeah well I’se better go, I’se heard that Spot may be dropping by tonight.” Laces said.

‘Where did you hear that?” Buttercup asked. Buttercup had a feeling that Laces liked Spot, but just didn’t want to admit it.

“Oh well I’se think that Jack was talkin’ bout it. And I’se don’t like Spot if that’s what your thinkin’.” Laces said and with that she turned and left.

“Well if she doesn’t like Spot, I think Spot likes her.” Buttercup said as the door close. Laces walked down the sidewalk hoping that she would ran into one of the other newsies because she didn’t want to think about things. Like why everyone thought that she liked Spot, she thought Spot was cute but she didn’t want to be Spot’s girl or at least she didn’t think she wanted to be. Luckily Mush was coming up the street and Laces ran to him.

“Heya Mush, how was sellin’ taday?’

“Ah Heya Laces, it was okay I guess.” Mush shrugged. “I meet this goyl though she is just great.” Mush said. Laces sighed and almost laughed at Mush.

“Ya always meet this goyl.” She said. Mush smiled.

“Yeah I’se know.”

“So why do ya think that Jack thinks that Spot is gonna come taday?’ Laces asked.

“I dunno we heard that Rick is sick.” Mush said.

“Rick?’ Laces asked. Even though Laces lived with the Newsies she was very carefree and almost never paid attention to conversations unless they had something that interested her in them. She spent most of her time talking with Buttercup, learning to play poker again, helping Kloppman tidy up, and just watching the Newsies.

“That’s the caretaker at the Brooklyn Lodging House.” Mush said. Laces nodded she did not see the connection between Rick being sick and Spot coming to Manhattan. They had reached Tibby’s, and Laces hopped in.

“Heya!’ Laces said in her usual perky voice. Some Newsies respond but most mumbled about how she could be so cheerful with the headline that they had to sell. Laces sat down at her usual place with Jack and looked around.

“ ‘E ain’t ‘ere.” Jack said. Laces looked at him with a confused grinned.

“Who ain’t?’ Laces asked.

“Spot.” Jack said.

“Why would ya think I’se looking for that annoying, egotistical, shorty?’ Laces said with a smile.

“Well nice ta know what ya think of me.” A familiar voice said from Behind Laces. Laces jumped at the sound of Spot’s voice.

“Well ya know it’s true.” She said as she turned to look at him. He looked worn out and pale, and skinner.

“Well right Kid. Just like ya is a Spoil Brat with an quick and annoyin’ mouth.” Spot said as he sat down next to Jack. “Heya Jacky-boy.’ He said.

“Heya Spot, howz life been treating ya?’ Jack asked before Laces could continue the insult exchange.

“Ah, well Rick he’s sick and well the lodging house is a mess and no body can clean it.” Spot said with a sigh.

“What does Rick ‘ave?’ Jack asked.

“I dunno.” Spot put his head in his hands.

“Spot.” Laces said. But Jack ignored her thinking that she just wanted to insult him.

“Ya don’t look that great yourself Spot, are ya getting sick to?’ Jack asked.

“Spot,” Laces said again. But again she was ignored.

“I dunno Jacky-boy. I think that I may be getting sick.” Spot groaned.

“Spot.” Laces said again getting impatient. Jack paid her no heed though and continued the conversation he was having with Spot.

“Ya got ta take care of yourself, so no one’s been cleaning your lodging house, huh?’

“Nah, it’s looks like a pig sty. It really getting’ on me nerves.” Spot said.

“Spot, Jack I’se gonna talk so shut up.” Laces said. Jack looked at her in surprise, but said nothing. He just kinda made a face he was getting really tried of her attitude sometimes, she didn’t listen and she always had an opinion.

“Spot why don’t I go ta Brooklyn and help ya with the Lodging House until Rick is back on his feet?’ Laces asked. Spot looked at her for a second thinking to himself about it.

“That could work.” Spot finally said. “Whadda ya think Jacky-boy?’

“I guess she would be able ta help, and that would make it easier on me she’s been takin’ me customers she’s been getting’ ta good. Warning ya now though Colon, this kid is a pain.” Jack said.

“Hey, it ain’t me fault that ya can’t keep up with me. And I’se is not.” Laces said. Spot smiled.

“Then it’s settled your comin’ back with me.” Laces nodded.

“But ya get something now Spot Conlon, I’se take orders from no one not even the leader of Brooklyn.” Laces said. Spot laughed at this.

“We’ll see kid, we’ll see. See ya Jack.” Spot got up and started walking towards the door. Laces jumped up.

‘See ya Jack, tell everyone that I said bye.” Laces said as she went after Spot. Jack shook his head.

“That Kid is always following ‘im around.”

“Spot! Wait I’se have ta stop by the Lodging House.” Laces yelled after Spot who was heading for the Brooklyn Bridge. Spot turned and walked up to her.

“Spot, another thing stop calling me Kid.” Laces said. “And don’t give me any of your Brooklyn Leader attitude either.” Laces said. Spot stopped walking and glared at Laces for a second and then keep walking, he was going to set her straight but decided to wait until he was back in Brooklyn to say anything. There it was his territory there maybe he would be able to scary her a bit. Laces got her stuff in less then no time and they headed to Brooklyn. Spot was quiet most of the way there while Laces chirped about all the Newsies in Manhattan and then she said she had seen Luv.

“Luv?’ Spot asked.

“Yeah. She’s with the leader of Midtown I think.” Laces said.

“Midtown, ya mean Press?’ Spot asked.

“I dunno, no one has ever introduced us before.” Laces said. They were in the middle of Brooklyn Bridge, Spot’s favorite place to trap people.

“Laces, I want ya ta get something straight. I give the orders ya follow the orders that’s the way it works. I’se ain’t like Jack who’s so carefree, most of me Newsies are afraid of me now I don’t care if ya are or ya ain’t but ya don’t go being sassy with me in Brooklyn in front of me Newsies.” Spot said in a stern and cold way. Laces looked at Spot, she detected a change in him, he seemed colder, tougher he fit the fearless leader image perfectly. She shuddered when she looked into his eyes, but she knew that the Spot she had met was in there somewhere and she wasn’t going to pay attention to this new Spot.

“Spot Conlon, I’se won’t listen ta a word ya say unless I’se want ta. I’se doin’ ya a favor and ya don’t treat me like you’se maid cause I ain’t and will never be. I don’t care whose ya are but I ain’t gonna be treated like this.” Laces said with a determined air.

‘Samantha don’t ya go making me get tough with ya.” Spot said his tone soft and dangerous. Laces looked at him surprised at the use of a name that she hadn’t heard since she first meet Spot almost six months ago. Spot was scaring her, he didn’t mean to be he just couldn’t have her undermining him in front of the Newsies he was struggling to keep under his orders.

“Yes master.” Laces bowed. “You are a real jerk Spot Conlon.” She mumbled and started to pout. Spot smiled at her pouting. He had successfully made her scared to undermine him; maybe this would bring him peace. They got to the Brooklyn Lodging house just as the sun was beginning to set.

‘Come on, I’se introduce ya ta Rick.” Spot said.

“Yes sir, whatever ya wish sir.’ Laces said. Spot sighed and lead her to the only room occupied on the first floor. He opened the door slowly and entered the room silently.

“Rick, I’se brought someone ta help ya round ‘ere till ya get betta.’ Spot said. The man in the bed opened his eyes and looked at Laces.

“What’s your name?’ He asked.

“Laces.” She simply said.

“Well, Thank ya for your help.” He said and closed his eyes again, Spot signaled to leave the room and Laces followed him out the door.

“Will I’se be meetin’ the other newsies master.” Laces said.

“Will ya stop that.” Spot said. Laces smiled a wicked smile, she had found something that bugged Spot.

“Stop what, master?’ Spot sighed, seeing that she wasn’t going stop he decided to play along.

“Come along the boys will be in the Bunkroom.” Spot started up the steps. Laces followed, when Spot entered the bunkroom all the boys looked up.

“Boys this ‘ere is our new maid. Laces.” Spot shot a look at Laces she was glaring at him. He bit his lip to keep from laughing at her face, which looked like it was turning red.

“Spot Conlon, you are impossible!!! I’se is not your maid!!!” Laces screamed and stomped her foot then stormed out of the room. Spot bolted after her and started laughing his heart out. Laces was going down the stairs, she headed out the door she had no clue where she was going but Spot was perfectly impossible.

She walked down the street and then turned into an alleyway where she sat on the bed. She leaned against a wall and slid down.

“I like Spot I really do but he is just so annoying sometimes.” She mumbled to herself. Spot walked down the street he had seen the alleyway that Laces had stepped into and he knew where she was and was in no hurry to have her be angry with him. He thought it had been a great joke, a joke that had backfired on her. He turned into the alleyway and saw her sitting there.

“So whadda ya think of that?’ Spot asked much amused. Laces looked up at him with a pouting face. “ya know something kid, ya really shouldn’t pout it don’t go well with that face of yours.” Spot said.

“Yeah what would ya know. That was mean Spot.” Laces said.

“Oh really, I didn’t think it was that bad.” Spot said.

“Yeah right. Help me up you horrible boy.” Laces said. Spot stuck his cane out for her to grab hold of. She stared at it a moment and then took it. She pulled really hard hoping to make Spot lose his balance and fall but he didn’t. They walked back in almost compete silence expect that Laces was fidgeting with her hands, snapping and slapping her thigh she just couldn’t keep them still. When they got back to the Lodging House Laces smiled.

‘So where am I gonna sleep boss?’ Spot groaned, she wasn’t gonna quit.

“The room across the hall, it’s right next to my room.”

“Oh great I get the pleasure of sleeping in the room next to the great leader of Brooklyn.” Laces said in a very sarcastic tone. Spot smirked and opened the door, tomorrow I’ll wake ya up before I leave.”

“As you wish master.” Laces said.

“If ya don’t quit doing that I’ll start believing it and then where will ya be?’ Spot asked.

“In no betta position than I’se in right now.” Laces smiled innocently.

“Yeah sure. Night kid.” Spot said. He closed the door and Laces heard the footsteps and his room door open and then she heard the bed creak as he got into it. Laces walked to the window and looked at the stars.

“I hope I’m doing what’s right.” She whispered and then went to bed.

*****

“LACES!” Someone was yelling and then thump! Laces opened her eyes and she was on the floor. She looked at the shoes that were in her face.

“Mornin’ ta ya ta Spot.” She said.

“Ya didn’t want ta wake up. Get up and dressed and then go downstairs and ask Rick what ‘e needs.” Spot commanded.

“Right away master. Whatever ya say Boss.” Laces said getting up.

“Yeah well I’se see ya at lunch time.” Spot said and left. Laces got up and went to the washroom.

“Boy I thought that the Manhattan boys were messing.” Laces said as she entered the bunkroom where beds everywhere were unmade and things were all over the floor. The washroom was worst the water was everywhere, it didn’t smell to great there were towels and soap all over the floor, it was a miracle the boys didn’t trip. She made her way to the wash tub and took a bath and then dressed. Then she went downstairs and went scavenging for food and found some bread rolls. Then she went into Rick’s room.

“Mornin’ Rick, what I’se suppose ta do? And how ya feeling?’ Laces said. Rick opened his eyes and looked at the girl in front of him.

“I’se been betta, did ya see the washroom and the bunk?’ Rick asked.

“Yeah.” Laces said.

“Well that’s what ya can get started on, they probably back ta leavin’ it a mess without me there ta bother ‘em bout it. That will take you most of the day. Can ya cook?’ He asked.

“Yeah.” She replied.

“Well then, I will need ya ta go shopping whenever ya get a minute and start cooking dinner, ya don’t ‘ave ta start taday I ‘ave a feeling that you’se gonna spend most of the day cleanin’ their bunk up.” Rick chuckled softly and then coughed. “I wish ya luck kid.” He said.

“Thank you, ya need anything at all ya just holler and I’se will come runnin’,” Laces said and hopped out of the room. She went back behind the desk and looked for cleaning tools. When she found all she would need in the storeroom even an extra pair of clothes she went upstairs and started her work. She began in the washroom, scrubbing floors and sinks. Opening the windows in the washroom, she picked, rubbed and spit shined that washroom till it was spotless. She was very tried and she still had the bunkroom to do. When she finished wiping down the counter in the washroom and putting the last towel away she stood and looked at her work.

“Very nice job,” Spot said from the doorway. Laces jumped, being startled that Spot was there.

“I’se glad that ya like it boss.” She said. Spot grinned.

“Too bad it ain’t gonna stay this way for long.” Spot said.

‘Whadda ya mean?” Laces asked.

“It will be a mess again tomorrow.” Spot said.

“No it won’t not that messy.” Laces said trying to convince herself.

“Yeah it will.” Laces lifted her arm and pushed some hair out of her face.

“Are ya gonna take me ta lunch or just get me into a bad mood?’ Laces asked.

“Can I do both?’ Spot asked. Laces faked a laughed, she was not amused. She took of her cleaning things and told Rick she was leaving for lunch and she would be back in a little while. Spot took her to a small place not far away that was a lot like Tibby’s.

“Don’t ya go working yourself ta hard cleaning that mess up.” Spot warned her when he was taking her back to the Lodging House.

“Yes Master.”

“Oh and make sure that my room is in perfect order when I arrive.’ Spot said with a dignified air. Laces swat him in the back of the head to his surprise.

“I ain’t your maid.” She said.

“Oh really, well it don’t matter don’t women always wait on me it’s their job.” Spot said. At this Laces threw a punch at his shoulder.

“Oh yeah that hurt. Ya hit like a goyl.” Spot said.

“Ya, Ya jerk.” Laces stormed off inside and Spot was left snickering. Laces was really a funny thing when she was mad. Laces made the beds in the bunkroom and then picked up all the things that were on the floor and then swept and opened windows.

“There I’se finally done.” She said just as the door downstairs opened and footsteps were heard trampling up the stairs. Laces stuck all the cleaning things in a broom closet and then wiped her hands on her pants just as the boys entered the room. They all came in talking loud and when they saw Laces and then the spotless room they were stunned.

“Hello boys.” She said. “How was sellin’ taday?’ Any good headlines.” She said. They were silent for a few seconds and then a little one talked.

‘The headlines were okay, thanks for cleaning this up.”

“Why your welcome.” Laces said and headed out the room. Laces went into the hallway and noticed that Spot wasn’t there yet and so she decided to see if there was a mess in his room that she might as well pick it up. She opened the door and went inside, it was a simple room, nothing special about it. She picked up some clothing there was on the floor and opened a drawer to put them away. When she opened the drawer she noticed a picture frame. She lifted it and looked at it, it was a family. There were three girls, and two boys. Spot was one of the little boys he looked about 4 in the picture but already had his grin mastered. The other boy was about six. The baby was a girl and the other two girls looked eight and ten. Laces looked at the women that must have been Spot’s mother and she was beautiful. Laces was staring at the picture when Spot walked in.

“What the ‘ell do ya think your doing?’ Spot demanded. Laces jumped and dropped the picture back in the drawer.

“I was putting away some clothing when I found that picture, Ise was just looking at it Spot.” Laces said looking at the ground. Spot walked over and shut the drawer, then he glared at Laces.

“Ya should learn ta just put things away and not dawdle.” Spot said. Laces looked at him, his eyes were cold again and she shuddered as she walked to the door. She went into her room and threw herself on the bed.

“I will find out bout ya Spot, one day.” She sighed. Just then there was a knock at the door. “Come in.” Laces called out. The door opened and the little boy who had answered before came in. The little boy with brown dark hair with dark eyes and a few freckles.

“Heya Laces, Ise Bottle Cap, but most everybody calls me Cap on the account that Ise collect bottle caps.” The little boy said.

“Hello Cap, how old are ya?’ Laces asked.

“8.” The boy replied. Laces smiled at the small boy, he was so cute. “Come ‘ere and sit.” Laces beckoned. Just then the door opened and Cap jumped.

“Laces Ise just gonna tell ya, Ise going out with Sugar so if ya hear footsteps late at night don’t be frightened.” Spot said. Then he looked at Bottle Cap. “What is ya doin’ in ‘ere?’ Spot asked.

“Spot, there is a thing called knocking and leave the boy alone we’re talkin’.” Laces said. Spot smiled at Laces and then left. Cap went and sat next to Laces.

“Ya must be a great goyl.” The little boy said.

“Why?’ Laces giggled a bit about the littl’ boy’s assurance.

“Well cause ya can make Spot, mad real quick but later your smiling again.” Cap said. Laces smiled at the boy’s comment.

“Well that’s real sweet of ya.” Laces started to run her fingers through the boy’s hair. Cap and Laces sat there for a while and talked about the day’s headline and what was going on around the city. Cap talked and Laces would laugh now and then. When they finished talking Cap gave Laces and hug and ran off to bed. Laces went to bed herself and murmured about how sweet that little boy was.

The next few days were the same, Laces cleaned only the Bunkroom and washroom all day long. She still hadn’t had time to go to the market and she was getting really tried that the boys didn’t pick up after themselves. Laces had meet all of the Brooklyn Newsies most were cold and unemotional but the little ones she loved to death and some of the older ones she knew she’d get use to them. One day she sat on the bunk after she finished cleaning as the boys came upstairs when they entered the room and she wasn’t smiling they stopped.

“Anything smatta?’ Bullseye asked.

“Yeah, sumthing’s smatta. Ya boys need ta pick up your mess in the mornin’ Ise haven’t had time ta do anything else. Only thing I do is clean your washroom and bunkroom. Ise haven’t been able to go to the market for Rick or even dust the parlor downstairs because ya boys decided ta leave this place a pig sty. If ya don’t start picking up yourselves Ise gonna tell Spot that Ise going back ta Manhattan. “Laces said. Some of the boys glared at her and others looked at the floor.

“Don’t worry bout it Laces, they’d clean up their messes.” Spot said, he was in his favorite place at the door. “Won’t ya boys?’ Spot asked with a voice that warned all the newsies to not contradict.

“Yeah Spot, sure” The boys yelled out and at this Spot told them to pipe down.

“Laces, Sugar is down in the parlor why don’t ya go talk ta her while Ise talk ta me newsies ‘ere.” Spot said. Laces nodded and went out the door and down the stairs. She entered the parlor where a blond, blue eyed girl was sitting. She looked like Spot, even that tough image was there.

“Heya Sugar, Ise Laces we’se meet before in Manhattan.” Laces said sitting down next to Sugar.

“Heya Laces! How ya been?’ Sugar asked in her high and happy voice.

“Okay, ya?” Laces asked.

“Oh, I’se been fine I’se worried bout Spot though he has been looking betta but I’se still think he could get sick.” Sugar said.

“Nah, he’ll be fine.” Laces said. The front door to the Lodging house opened and closed and a girl came walking in and was about to go up the stairs when Laces called out to her.

“What are ya doing ‘ere Luv?’ Luv was startled that anyone was in the parlor , but she knew it was just Laces. She had never met the other girl but it must just be a friend of Laces.

“Laces where’s Spot?’ Luv asked.

“Luv this is Sugar, Spot’s goyl.” Laces said trying to get Luv to forget about why she was looking for Spot.

“Heya Sugar. Did ya know that Spot belongs ta me.” Luv said, Spot came into the parlor and Luv threw herself at him and gave him a kiss. Spot pushed her off of him.

‘What the ‘ell do ya think your doing?’ Spot demanded. Luv smiled a sweet and innocent smile.

“why Spot I’se was just giving me boy a kiss.’ She said. Sugar jumped up at this and went over to Luv and slapped her.

“’E’s me boy, not yours. I’se heard bout how ya only date leaders, well this leader’s mine.” Sugar said. Luv slapped Sugar back.

“Well honey, or sugar or whatever your name is I’se think your bout to become Spot’s ex.” This continued for a while, Spot just watched and Laces sat on the couch farthest from it and laughed softly. Sugar finally picked Luv up and threw her out the door.

“First time I’se have goyls fighting over me.” Spot chuckled at this change in plans. Sugar came back in to the parlor and kissed Spot on the cheek. “Sugar why don’t ya go home and get cleaned up we’ll do something tomorrow.’

“Don’t ya go letting that goyl back in ‘ere.” Sugar warned and then went outside. Spot sat on the couch next to Laces. He stared at her shoes that were untied again.

‘Put your foot ‘ere and I’ll tie your shoe.” Spot said patting his knee. Laces did so and she smiled.

‘I don’t know why that gets to people so much.” She said.

“I don’t see how you can never trip.” Spot said. He was bent over the shoe struggling with the short laces to tie it. Laces bent down and watched his struggle.

“Ya doing it wrong.” She said.

“How would ya know, Ya never tie your shoes.” Spot tried to get the laces in a bow and they became undone. He let out a frustrated sigh. Laces grabbed the shoes laces and did a little knot that keep them off the floor. Spot looked up and he was right in Laces face. Spot not even thinking about what he was doing, kissed Laces, she was just in the right position and he couldn’t help the temptation. Laces went into shock and before she could pull away, she heard a scream and Spot jumped up.

“You! You little bitch!’ Sugar yelled. She was about to lung herself at Laces when Spot intervened. And she rammed into him.

“Sugar wait, it wasn’t ‘er.” Spot said. Sugar looked at him when he said that.

“What?’ She demanded.

“I’se was the one who kissed her, It was a accident I’se um…tripped and landed on her lips.” Spot said. Sugar didn’t buy at all and she slapped Spot.

“Ya jerk, ya pig, ya..” Sugar punched Spot in the stomach and went over to the couch and picked up her bag, which she had forgotten there. “I’se hope ya two are happy together.” Sugar stormed out the front door. Spot was groaning from the floor and Laces was dazed out. She looked from the door to Spot thinking this couldn’t be happening.

“Laces?’ Spot said.

“Spot, go after Sugar.” Was all that Laces said before leaving the room and going out the front door.

“Oh, great this has just been a poyfect evening.” Spot said as he got up. “I’se talk ta Sugar tomorrow if I’se go today she would soak me.” Spot said. He went up to his room and lay on the bed waiting for Laces to return.

Laces was walking around Brooklyn, she went in and out of alleyways. She wasn’t happy, but she wasn’t sad. She was confused, she wanted to talk to Buttercup but Manhattan was so far away and it was so late. There weren’t very many people on the streets, it was getting colder even though it was in mid-August and Laces didn’t even have a sweater.

“Heya sweet stuff howz bout ya come over ta my place.” A man on the corner of the street said.

“I’se ain’t your whore!’ Laces hollered back. She wasn’t in the best part of town, she was actually in one of the worst parts of town where all the bars were and drunks hung out. Laces shuddered as she pasted a bar she was familiar with, a bar she hadn’t seen since that last week. Laces shook her head trying to get the images out of her head, she wasn’t going to think of that now.

“Ya drunk, don’t ya come back ‘ere without any money!” Someone was throw out of the bar Laces had just passed. Laces looked back at the man that had just been throw out of the bar. She couldn’t see him in the dark, she noticed how dark it was and how late it really was. She had to start heading back so she turned around and went passed the man who had been throw out of the bar.

“Audrey!” The man yelled. “Is that you?” Laces froze where she was. That voice, that man, that name. She felt like she couldn’t breath, she felt like she was going to die right there and then.

“It is ya then, You bitch, you whore, You good for nothing girl. You up and left me, I’se teach ya ta leave you’se father!’ the man called out. He was drunk, he was always drunk, Laces tried to run but her legs would not move. Her father came towards her, he grabbed her arm tightly and spun her around. “Where ya been girl?’ Her father said. “With the trash of the streets?’ He spit in her face. Laces would not look him in the face she wouldn’t even struggle. “Ise teach ya ta leave you’se family.” He said soft and dangerous. He had a bottle in his hand and he smacked her with it. Then he took it and broke the bottle over her head with it.

‘ Let me go!” Laces found her voice and started to scream. She didn’t think anyone around here would try to help but she thought that maybe they could provide a distraction. She was bleeding now, he face had cuts but she bit her lip whenever it started to quiver. The man who had been in the bar came out to see what was causing such a commotion.

“Kai, ya let that girl go!’ the man shouted. Laces father turned to look at the bartender, just the perfect time to get loose. Laces pulled away from the grip she was in and took off running. She didn’t look back, she didn’t think where she was going she just ran. Blurred objects went past her, she couldn’t hear anything but the pounding in her ears, and she could barely see anything but the water that was forming in her eyes. When she ran out of breath she sat down on a step and started to cry, she just cried. Some boys were coming up to the Brooklyn Lodging House they knew it was late, but they had been out in Manhattan checking up on things for Spot and they just came back. When they arrived at the Lodging House they realized that someone was crying on the step. Bottle cap went up to the weeping person and discovered that it was Laces and she was covered in blood.

“Laces? What’s wrong? What happened?’ He asked. She didn’t respond at all she just kept crying. “Go, get Spot!’ the little boy said in a worried voice. The other two boys, who had been with him, ran inside and up the stairs and in a flash Spot was outside.

“Laces?” She didn’t responded. He knew that she wasn’t going to respond. He picked her up and took her into the parlor. There he laid her down on the couch. She was still crying but it had soften, and was almost unheard expect for the few sobs. Spot looked at her face and got worried, she was bleeding badly.

“Bottle cap go into the kitchen and get me some cloth and water so I can clean her off.” Spot commanded. “The rest of you’se go on ta get some sleep.” He said. The rest of the newsies left and went upstairs mumbling.

“He was… Spot it was…” Laces keep trying to said something but she would sob out before she finished.

“Laces, it’s okay. Shh, you’re safe now. Do ya want something ta drink?” Spot asked. Laces nodded her head and Spot got up to get her something to drink and check on Bottle Cap. He went into the kitchen and found Bottle Cap in the closet.

“What are ya doing Ise told ya ta get me some cloth and water?” Spot asked as he poured a glass of water.

“Ise don’t know where the cloth is.” Cap said.

“It’s in the box right there, hurry up.” Spot pointed to the box and left the kitchen. He handed Laces the water and made her sit up, she wasn’t really crying anymore and drank the whole cup of water. Cap came in with the water and cloth.

“Spot it was awful.” Laces started but Spot hushed her.

“Let me clean you up, and give yourself some time ta calm down and then tell me what happened. Cap go on up ta bed. She’ll be fine.” Bottle Cap reluctantly turned to go upstairs but turned back around and ran to Laces and gave her a hug.

“Ise hope ya okay.” He said and kissed her on a cheek and then headed up ta bed. Laces smiled as Cap hurried up to bed.

“You’se gonna make that boy soft on me.” Spot commented. Laces looked at Spot as if she had just noticed he was in the same room with her. He had successfully cleaned her up and now the blood had stopped to.

“Why don’t ya tell me what happened?’ Spot asked.

“Well, I went out on a walk right and well Ise just walked. I didn’t really know where I was going. I noticed that I had walked into the bad part of town and Ise found me father and well he beat me Spot.” Laces took a breath. Spot was about to say something but Laces didn’t let him. “Let me finish Spot. Ise gonna tell ya everything now. Me real name is Audrey Alexandra Kai, I had lived in middle cast suburbia for most of my life then when I turned 7 me father went bankrupt. We moved into a smaller place and everything was fine for a while and me father got a new job. He started to go out in the evening and me mother and me were left alone. Well when I was10 me mother became pregnant and she had the baby and lost her life. Me father was torn by her death and started going out more at night, Ise was left ta take care of me little brother and well he died about a week after he was born from lack of milk.” A tear rolled down Laces cheek. “When me father got home he was mad as ‘ell. ‘e said it was me fault that me mother had died and that Ise had killed me brother. He beat me the first time that night. After that I started ta cook, clean and not make any noise anytime something wasn’t done, or done right. Until that one night when he came home with a whore and told me she was going to hire me because whores made good money and he needed more money for his whiskey. I said no and he beat me, I got up and ran I took off and I came ‘ere Ise had seen this place plenty of times and I just didn’t know where else ta go.” Laces finished and buried her head into Spot’s shoulder. Spot was in shock, this girl; the girl that he was falling in love with had lived through all that. He felt like killing her father, the man that could cause such pain to such a creature. He stroked her hair, her brown hair. She feel asleep in his arms like she had the first night that he had found her. He carried her upstairs and remembered that just 7 months ago he couldn’t carry her up these stairs in fear of waking up Night and James. Now he could without worrying about anything expect waking her up. He laid her on her bed and covered her up.

“Don’t worry kid, it’s going to be all right.” Spot whispered as he left the room. Laces did not have a very good night her dreams were filled with images of her father her mother and her baby brother. Then there came the images of Jack and Spot. The love she felt for Spot was not the same as the one she felt for Jack, yet Spot was the one who felt that for her. Laces tossed and turned and mummer things about everything in her sleep.

“Laces wake up.” Someone was softly shaking Laces awake. Laces shot up and stared at the person on her bed.

“Hello sleepy head.” Spot said. “Ise gonna be staying with ya today, so we’se can go ta the market.” Spot said.

“Okay Spot.” Laces said. Spot looked at her and his mouth twisted into a half smile. She wasn’t her perky self or her arguing quick witted self.

“Why don’t you go get dressed.” Spot said helping her out of bed. “ ‘ere Ise got ya some new clothing.” Spot said handing her a new pair of pants and shirt. Well not exactly new, but different Laces had worn the same thing for almost seven months and well she was wearing it out. Laces took the clothing and headed to the washroom. She screamed when she entered the bunkroom and Spot ran in to see what had happened.

“It’s clean!’ The bunkroom was almost spotless, there were a few items here and there but compared to how it had been for the past few days it was really clean. Spot laughed at Laces and she smiled. “I didn’t think the boys would listen to me.”

“Well they had ta listen otherwise they’se would ‘ave ta deal with me and none of them wanna do that. Now hurry up and get dressed.” Spot said. Laces went into the washroom and Spot looked around the bunkroom. It was pretty clean, Spot smiled Laces wouldn’t spend her whole day cleaning this place up anymore. Spot went downstairs to Rick’s room he hadn’t talked to him in a long time.

“Rick?” Spot said softly. Rick was sitting up in bed and had the window opened and everything.

“Heya Spot, why aren’t ya selling today?’ Rick asked. Spot must have had his mouth wide open and a really good surprised look on because Rick laughed.

“Yeah Ise feeling better, didn’t Laces tell ya. Ise been like this for almost two days. I should be up and about in a week or so.” Spot nodded.

“Um glad ya feelin’ betta Rick, so um what do ya want us ta pick up from the market?” Spot asked.

“The boys finally pickin’ up their mess, what ya do threaten them?’ Rick joked.

“Actually I did. But that did it, don’t worry Ise didn’t soak any of ‘em.” Spot said. Rick looked relieved.

“Um.. tell Laces ta get whatever she can use to cook with. Tell her she’s gonna be cookin’ dinners from now on.” Rick said.

‘Why?’ Spot asked. “Ya never cooked dinner.”

“Well after I get betta I want her ta ‘ave something ta do and well Ise can’t cook otherwise I would ‘ave done that.’ Rick said. Spot shrugged, he didn’t know if Laces was going to stay after Rick got better, but Rick seem to like her well enough. Spot and Laces went to the Market and Laces picked out some food for the rest of the week so that she could make dinner.

“Now ya go tell the boys that they betta come home ‘for it gets dark if they wants a home cooked meal.” Laces said as she sent Spot out the door of the kitchen. Spot left to do as she asked and Laces giggled to herself.

“Ise like Spot when he feels sorry for me, he’s easier to handle.” Laces proceed to cook a stew. When she was done with it she took some to Rick. Rick tasted it and Laces stood by and eagerly asked what he thought of it.

“Why my dear you’re a excellent cook.” Rick smiled. “I think those boys are going to be home on time from now on.” Rick laughed as he heard the door open and close and the footsteps.

“ I recommend you go protect your stew from kitchen thieves.” Rick laughed. Laces went out to check in the kitchen for anyone. All the boys were standing there.

“Now what are ya alls doin’?’ Laces asked. The boys turned to look at her, their usual cold faces were shinning.

“That smells good.” Bottle cap said. Laces smiled and then laughed.

“Well ya aren’t getting’ a bite until ya clean up a bit.” The boys groaned and moaned but they all filed out. The only one that didn’t was Spot.

“Ya control ‘em almost as well as Ise do.” He commented. Laces laughed.

“Yeah but Ise don’t scare ‘em. Come on help me serve this.” Laces said.

“Yes master.” Spot said. Laces laughed. Laces poured and Spot passed the plates to the table. The Newsies came rushing down the stairs, sat down and began to eat and talk. Laces sat down next to Spot and Bottle Cap. Everyone was trying to shout over everyone else and Spot was getting really impatient.

“Shut up! Lemme hear what’s happenin’ in Manhattan.” Spot said. All the Newsies stopped talking eat in silence. “Well Bottle Cap what happened?” Spot asked, taking another taste of the stew.

“Um everyone is pretty much okay, Buttercup says hello and send her love to you Laces, Racetrack was wondering if ya still ‘member how ta play poker, um Mush, Skittery, and Blink were wondering when you’se was coming back, at ta least visit. Snipeshooter was wondering something about a couple, Oh Jack’s in the refugee again, Snyder caught him last week.”

“What?’ Laces asked.

“Don’t worry your pretty little head about it Laces, he’s in there once in a while, he break out again. So what ‘e get if for this time?’ Spot asked.

“Um, stealin’ food Ise think. Or at least that’s what Blink said.” Cap said. All the Newsies were now done with the soup and just listening to the news.

“That was great soup.” Spot said, everyone agreed and Laces blushed.

The same routine was followed for like two weeks, Spot went with Laces every time she would go to the market. Laces made dinner every night and the Newsies picked their messes up, so Laces was left with nothing to do. Rick was now also getting up and moving around now, he was doing much better.

“So nothing ta do anymore, is there?” Rick asked from behind the desk. Laces was sitting on the couch in the parlor staring at the book self.

“Why don’t you read one of those books?’ Rick suggested. Laces shrugged and got up to look at the titles. She picked up a book with a green cover and opened it. She read the first chapter and then she looked up.

“Rick do you know anything about Spot’s past?’ She asked. Rick chuckled softly.

“I was wondering when ya gonna getting around to askin’ about that.” He said.

“Well do ya know anything?’ Laces asked.

“If Ise did it ain’t me business ta tell ya. Ask Spot.” Rick said.

“Come on Rick, ‘E won’t tell me.” Laces started to whine, something she had come to perfect when asking Spot for something.

“Nope, sorry can’t do it.” Rick said. Laces asked a few more times and Rick still refused.

“Fine then Ise just go upstairs ta read.” Laces said. Rick nodded, knowing what she was going to do probably had nothing to do with books. Laces went upstairs and threw the book on the bed. She paced back and forth.

“No one would know. Ise would just go in there and when Ise heard the door Ise would get out. He would never know, and Ise ain’t doin’ nothing really wrong. Ise just go in there and tidy up a bit, yeah that’s what Ise gonna do tidy up.” Laces convinced herself, she walked out of her room and into Spot’s. She picked up some lose items that Spot had left on the floor and opened the drawer to put them away. When she opened the drawer she found the picture again. “Spot was so cute, he doesn’t look happy that he had to dress up in those clothes though.” Laces laughed at the grin that Spot wore. Then she looked at his other brother he also looked like Spot, just older. The girls all were quite beautiful. Spot’s mother was breath taking though, her hair was a golden blond and her eyes were exactly like Spot’s crystal blue, like that of frozen ice. Laces put the picture back and then decided to look in the night table drawer. When she opened it, it was full of papers, but there was something that caught Laces eye, a box. She took the box out and opened it, inside was a necklace with a charm that was shaped like a key at the end of it. Laces took it out and was admiring it when the door downstairs shut and opened.

“Oh no.” Laces whispered she shut the box and put it back and got out of the room, with the necklace still in her hand. When Laces noticed that the necklace was still in her hand it was too late to put it back because the newsies were already coming down the hall.

“Heya Laces, how was your day?’ They all greeted. Laces smiled, and was trying to keep from shaking, she was sure that her heart was beating so loud that Spot would be able to hear and know what she did.

“It was fine boys, get cleaned up for dinner,” She said in her motherly way. She walked down the stairs and went into the kitchen.

“I just put it back later, he’ll never know.” Laces slipped the necklace into her pocket and began to stir at the soup.

“What ya got there?’ Laces jumped and almost spilled the soup.

“Nothing, nothing at all. What do you mean what do Ise have there, I have nothing I don’t know what ya talkin’ bout.” Laces said. Spot grinned at her and then laughed.

“Relax, you’se safe okay.” Spot said. Laces nodded she was shaking though. While Spot talked about his day, she seemed to be very interested in the soup. Spot smiled, he had been planning to talk to her about that kiss that he had given her the other night but she was still jumpy about her family so he decided not to. Laces poured 15 soups, Spot was passing them to the table and he noticed they were one short.

“Aren’t ya forgetting one?’ Spot asked.

“No Ise don’t feel well, I ain’t hungry and so Ise gonna go upstairs and lie down for a while.” Laces said, holding her head.

“Are ya sure that ya don’t want anything ta eat?’ Spot was making sure.

“Yeah, don’t worry about me.” Laces headed upstairs while the boys were coming down the stairs, they boys nodded at her but continued on their way to the kitchen. When Laces got upstairs she entered her room and walked around a little while.

“There should be enough time to put it back before ‘e is done. Ise ‘ave ta put it back what if ‘e looks in the box and sees it’s empty?’ Laces said to herself. She walked out into the hall and made sure that there were no newsies wandering around, no they were all eating. She entered Spot’s room and quietly as she could, she watched her step as not to make her step creak and then she sat on the bed. She opened the drawer and got the box out carefully, this was all taking her longer than she had thought, or at least it seemed like forever.

“What the ‘ell do ya think your doing?’ Spot asked. Laces stood up and dropped the box on the floor she was looking at Spot.

“Um, well Ise was, ya see.” Laces began.

“Ise thought Ise told ya ta stay out of ‘ere?” Spot asked. Laces stared at the floor afraid of the glare that Spot was giving her.

“Ise was just..” Laces tried.

“You’se was just not minding you’se own business, your own past ain’t enough for ya.” Spot said.

“but Spot,” Laces said.

“Your past ain’t bad enough for ya, you need someone else’s bad memories and ‘ere I thought that ya drunken father was enough.”

“Spot,” Laces said almost in a whisper.

“Ya own mother and brother dying, and ya being a fuckin’ whore ain’t enough for ya. Ya need ta go diggin for someone who’s worked hard ta forget the memories that ruined their life.” Spot was yelling now and some of the Newsies stood in the hall. Laces cringed at his words, words of hate, she shook every time he got closer to her. Laces could’ve sworn that if she hadn’t been a girl Spot would have soaked her. The newsies in the hall shuddered, they wanted to go in there and get Laces out but Spot was angry and might soak them if they even went near him. Spot was almost in front of Laces now; he had taken a step every time he said something.

“Ya little nosy slut, stay the ‘ell out of me room.” Spot said in a soft threatening voice. This was all that Laces was going to take. She walked out of the room pushing Spot a little out of her way. She opened the door and went into the hall were almost all the Newsies now were. She pushed her way through them without saying anything, she walked down the stairs.

“Where ya going?’ Bottle Cap shouted after her.

“Manhattan.” She answered as she slammed the door and left. Spot had been so cruel, so insensitive, how could he have said all those things to her. Laces walked quickly through Brooklyn and on the Brooklyn Bridge and slowed down once she was in Manhattan. She hoped that she didn’t wake the newsies up, she smiled she was going to get to see Race, Mush, Blink, and Skittery again, all her boys. She wondered if Jack was out of the refuge yet, Spot had said he’d be out in like a week. When she got to the Lodging House the lights were on, she entered quietly and wasn’t heard through all the noise. All the newsies were up with the exceptions of the younger ones who were in bed, but the rest were playing poker or talking.

“Heya everyone.” Laces said. Everyone looked up in surprise to see their friend there so late at night.

“Hiya Laces, what happened anything wrong?’ Mush asked.

“No nothing really.” Laces said and then she saw Buttercup. “Tate?’ She asked as if she were imaging that she was there.

“Yup, the one and only.” Buttercup responded while giving Laces a hug.

“What are you doing ‘ere so late?” Laces knew that Buttercup was probably here without her parents’ consent but it had to be for something important.

“I believes that was the same questions we’se ‘ave for ya.” Someone behind Laces said. Laces jumped at the voice but she knew who it was. She turned around and jumped into Jack’s arms. Then she thought why Jack and Spot both have an obsession with being behind her and making her jump.

“Jack your out of the refugee.” Laces said. Jack put her down and laughed.

“I guess ya missed me more than me own Newsies.” Jack said.

“So what happened?’ Race asked while shuffling the cards for a new game of poker.

“I’se got into a fight with Spot.” Laces said. Jack grinned.

“He can be pretty stubborn sometimes.”

“So Jack how did ya get out of the refugee?” Laces asked.

“Oh it was a great escape.” Jack started but was interrupted by Race.

“Come ‘ere and sit down, this is goin’ ta take a while. Jack is sure a guy who can make a short story long.” Race laughed. Laces went over and sat down next to Race who was ducking a swat by Jack.

“Okay so it all beginning with..” Again Jack was cut off by Race.

“Hold on Jack, sorry but Laces do ya member how ta play poker?’ Race asked. Laces cringed and then admitted that she didn’t. “Oh, why can’t ya member this game.” Race mumbled as he again proceeded to teach Laces how to play.

“Okay, well it all started when Teddy Roosevelt came with his carriage.” Jack said, all the newsies began to laugh and Jack went on telling about he escape on Teddy Roosevelt’s carriage even though none of the Newsies believed him.

*********

September 1898:


Laces began to sell papers again, something she hadn’t done in a while. At first she sold by herself and then Bottle Cap came and told Jack about her father and Jack made her have another Newsies with her at all times. Laces soon got back into her routine of selling papers, going to lunch at Tibby’s, selling the afternoon papers and then going to Buttercup’s dress shop to talk to her there.

In the past two weeks in Manhattan Laces had told Buttercup everything that had happened in Brooklyn with Sugar, Luv, Rick, the cooking. There was only one thing that Laces hadn’t told her about the necklace that she still had. Laces had put it on and left it under her clothing so the newsies wouldn’t notice it. Every time she remembered it she would feel guilty and sad because Spot hadn’t some looking for her, or anything. She wouldn’t go back to Brooklyn though she would one day just not yet, she had to wait it out.

Laces was walking to the dress shop to see Buttercup, today had been the first day she had been alone for a long time. All the newsies had been busy, Jack had promised to meet her at the Lodging House around 5 after she went to the dress shop. Tonight there was a big poker game in Harlem and everyone was going. Laces walked into the dress shop and was greeted by a few customers and Buttercup’s brother who was working the cashier.

“Where’s Tate?’ Laces asked. Mike, Buttercup’s brother looked up. He was taller than Laces, but of course most people were expect for Spot. He had hazel eyes like Buttercup’s and short dark brown hair that was always a mess because he never got up on time.

“She can’t see ya, she working on her dress for that thing tonight,” He said.

“Thanks Mike.” Laces said and walked out. She hummed a little tuned that she had heard somewhere on her way to the Lodging House, which wasn’t far.

“Hey Kloppman.” She said when she walked in and she went up to the bunkroom. Laces went to the window in the bunkroom and looked out the window. The view from the window was the Brooklyn Bridge, Laces shuddered, what if her father crossed that bridge, what if he found her.

“It’s gonna be okay, ya see.” Jack had entered the bunkroom and had his hand on her shoulder. She felt the comfortable with him there. She looked up at him, his eyes were staring at her.

“Thanks.” She said and then she stood up, she had expected Jack to move but he didn’t. He stood there face to face with Laces, even though Laces was a few inches shorted than himself. He kissed her, lightly and for only a second. Laces was a little shocked at first and then she kissed him back.

********

Spot Conlon was on his way to the Manhattan Lodging House when he spotted Buttercup.

“Buttercup!” He called out. She stopped turned around and waited for Spot to reach up to her.

“Spot, how are ya?’ Buttercup asked. She was picking up the rough newsie accent now.

“Ise fine, howz ya been?’ Spot asked in return. Trying to be polite for once in his life because he need to ask Buttercup something.

“I’m okay. Were going to the poker game in Harlem tonight.” She said.

“Oh.” Spot said.

“So what brings you around here?’ Buttercup asked.

“Well, I came ta see Laces.” He said.

“Oh.” Buttercup nodded.

“Your Laces bestfriend aren’t ya?’ Spot asked. Buttercup nodded. “So she told ya about everything?” Spot asked. Buttercup nodded again.

“So ya would know if I did something what she would do in reply?’ Spot asked. Buttercup nodded again.

“So if Ise was ta ask Laces ta be me girl what do ya think she would say. After Ise apologize for the night.” Spot asked. Buttercup looked at him, she would have responded right away but this was going to be the only time that Spot Conlon was going to look innocent and emotional. After Buttercup made a mental picture of Spot she answered him.

“That’s a good idea.” She said. Spot smiled at her response and looked happy instead of his usually cold self. Spot and Buttercup were heading into the lodging house.

“Their upstairs.” Kloppman said. Buttercup run up the stairs and Spot followed walking quickly. When Buttercup opened the door she was about to say hello when she saw Jack and her best friend Laces in a lip lock, a very intimate lip lock at that. Then Spot walked in to see the last part of the kiss and then the push away. Spot was in shock for only two seconds and then he was mad. Buttercup snapped out of shock and started to cry.

“You fuckin’ bitch!’ Buttercup screamed at Laces. Laces was staring at the floor, she didn’t want to look into Spot’s ice cold glare which she could feel on her.

“Buttercup.” Laces tried to say.

“You little whore!’ Buttercup said before storming off and slamming the door downstairs. Laces went after her, pushing Spot out of her way there was no way that she was going to face Spot, no way. Laces ran her fastest just to catch up to Buttercup, when they entered the dress shop both were gasping for air.

“Tate let me explain.” Laces finally said.

“Explain what you back stabbing little whore! What ya gonna say Ise just trip and fell onto his lips?” Buttercup was screaming. “How longs it been going on?”

“It just happened kay! I didn’t mean it to happen, why the ‘ell ya think Ise spend so much time in Brooklyn in the first place?’ Laces said back.

“You are such a slut! First ya steal Sugar’s boyfriend and now you’se got ta ‘ave Jack ta!” Buttercup said.

“Ise didn’t mean ta hurt ya, Ise didn’t think it would happen.” Laces was trying to apologize. Buttercup went to a chair and sat down, she looked at the floor and then she looked up again.

“What do they see in ya, you’re a skinny little bitch who can’t play poker, is always arguing, is a tomboy and isn’t even pretty.” Buttercup said. Laces glared at her, this girl had been her best friend for about a year now and this, this was going to ruin it.

“What?’ Laces asked.

‘You hear me, You ain’t pretty, you’re a good for nothing person. You are ugly and yet they are attracted to you, they think you are just going to be fun.” Buttercup said. Laces stood there for a few moments soaking in what Buttercup had just said. Then a smile slowly crossed her face, it was a sweetly intimating smile.

“Don’t ya go hating me because Ise beautiful, hate you’se boyfriend because he thinks Ise am.” Buttercup jumped up at this.

“GET OUT!” She screamed. Laces looked at her for a second and then at Mike and Bess(Buttercup’s sister) who were standing in the hall.

“Right away.” Laces walked out the door, heart beginning to break because she knew that she still had to face Spot and if it was going to go anything like this she would be out of friends by the end of the evening. Once she was out the door, Buttercup slammed it and it seemed like she started throwing things. Laces stood there and listened looking into the window once and a while. Buttercup began to pick things up and throw them and when her brother and sister stopped her she broke down and started crying. Laces watched and shed a few tears, why did she do this to people. She always hurt the people she loved, it had been her fault that her baby brother and mother had died.

Laces began to run all the way to the Lodging house once Mike discovered her. When she got to the Lodging House She went upstairs hoping that Spot had already left but he hadn’t. She stood in the hallway and listened to the end of the conversation.

“Do ya know what this means?’ Spot asked. His voice hadn’t changed it was still cold and unemotional.

“What? Conlon, War?’ Jack asked, in a half-mocking half-serious tone.

“Yeah Kelly, war.” Spot said and with that walked out. He brushed right past Laces, he didn’t even look at her, and as far as he was concerned she wasn’t there. Laces wanted to cry and tears started to come when she entered the bunkroom.

“Jack?” No response, he was sitting on his bed with his head in his hands. “Jack what does this mean?’ Jack didn’t respond again. “Jack answer me please.” Laces begged. He still made no effort to even look up. Laces left the room and went downstairs into the parlor room. There she sat on the couch and started to sob, she held the necklace that she had taken from Spot and just kept rocking back and forth. When Kloppman heard the sobs he went into the parlor.

“What’s wrong honey?” He asked her in great concern. She didn’t respond and just sat there. Kloppman noticed that she was going to say nothing and so he left her and went up to find Jack. When he came back downstairs he wore a grave face but said nothing, just went back behind his desk and worked with Laces sobs. When the Newsies arrived to the Lodging House they all entered making a lot of noise and laughing about the poker game tonight. When they all heard the crying they all went in alarm to the parlor.

“Laces, Laces what’s wrong?” Mush asked. She didn’t answer. Jack was coming down the stairs and when he entered the parlor the sobs had calmed down but they were still there.

“Laces, stop crying now.” Jack said. All the newsies looked at him, he had demanded that she stop crying he had said it with an almost hate in his voice. Race, and Skittery stood behind the couch with their hands on Laces shoulders and Blink and Mush sat next to her one on each side. When Jack said that to her Snipeshooter went down and sat near her feet holding her hand. The rest of the newsies surround her.

“Jack can’t ya see the poor goyl ain’t in the best condition and ya go around snapping at ‘er.” Race said. Jack shot him a look, that told Race to butt out.

“Ise gonna talk and I’se don’t want anyone interpreting me, understood?’ There were many mumbled responses but they were their, the newsies were all very quiet they had almost never seen Jack this mad. “Okay we’se in a war, with Brooklyn. Now some of you’se knows what that means, and some of you’se don’t. All Ise gonna say is that none of you’se are ever ta travel into Brooklyn for anything unless it’s with me. Second none of ya go anywhere alone, especially the younger ones and Laces. Don’t ya go and run off who knows what the ‘ell Spot will do.” Jack stared at Laces, she was about to cry again. The once cheerful boys were all looking grave, only the younger boys still looked happy but most just looked confused.

“Boots get ‘em upstairs.” Jack said to Boots as he pointed to the group of younger Newsies. Boots nodded not really wanting to go but he did as he was told. Once the younger Newsies were gone, Jack looked at Laces, who now had tears running down her cheeks again but said nothing.

“Ise think maybe ya should go get some sleep.” Jack said to her. Laces looked at him.

“No.” She whispered. “Ise not leaving. This was me fault and there ain’t no way Ise running away from this to.” She said. Jack looked at her for a few more seconds and noticed that she was serious there was no way she would leave. He nodded.

“Don’t ya start crying again though.” Jack warned her. Laces nodded and looked at the newsies around her.

“Ares we gonna strike first?’ Mush asked. Jack shook his head.

“No Spot declared it.” Jack said. All the newsies nodded they weren’t sure why the war had started but they had pieced bits and parts together and they knew that Jack wasn’t going to explain. The boys all looked at each other and began to discuss who was going to watch who.

“Who is gonna be with Laces?’ Jack asked. He really wanted her to be with him at all times but he knew he couldn’t have her with him, there was no way. He was going to fight a lot in the next few days, or weeks he couldn’t have her with him.

“We could trade off with her, cause she’s the odd number or what would be better if she stayed here.’ Race said.

“She could stay here sometimes but Ise won’t like her here all the time. We all still have ta make a living.” Jack said. They nodded. “Tomorrow she will stay here.” Jack said. Laces opened her mouth to object but Blink who was next to Jack shook his head. She said nothing, just rested her head on Skittery’s shoulder. They talked much into the morning and the last thing that Laces remembered was being carried up to her bunk by Skittery.

The next morning no one woke her, all the newsies got dressed quietly and left earlier than usual. When Laces woke up the room was still and there was no noise. Laces yawned and then rubbed her eyes, why hadn’t anyone wakened her up? She dressed and went downstairs in search of Kloppman. He was in his usual spot behind the desk/counter in the lobby type room.

“Did ya get some sleep?’ He asked her in a very worried voice.

“Yes, thank you I did.” She replied. Then she remembered why the boys hadn’t wakened her up; it had been decided the night before that she would stay at the lodging house. Laces walked around the Lodging House she hated being cooped up in here with nothing to do expect think. The one thing she didn’t want to do was all she could do. She decided to read a book the first book she picked up was a book that was settled in the Civil War period. War, something she didn’t want to read about so she put that book back and then she picked up another book. She opened it and decided to read out loud to her self, so that the silence wouldn’t annoy her so much.

“Day 1, I was leaving my home and my one true love to suit my father’s wishes.” After that sentence Laces flung the book across the room. “Leaving home, Father and Love all the things I don’t want to hear or think about!” She screamed. Kloppman shook his head, this was going to ruin that girl he knew it. Around noon Laces got hungry and she was very bored and not in one of her best moods. She headed out the door and Kloppman called after her.

“Ise won’t go anywhere if Ise were ya.” He said.

“Well ya ain’t me, Ise be back in less then a hour.” Laces shouted back and ran through the alleys and back streets until she reached the dress shop. There she entered the store and was greeted by some customers, Buttercup was no where to be seen the only worker in the store was Mike.

“She ain’t gonna see ya Laces, why don’t ya leave?’ Mike said in a harsh voice. Laces flashed him a look that could kill, but he shot the one back and without another word Laces walked out of the store. She turned and looked at the window above the store, sure enough there was Buttercup, but as soon as Laces looked at her she closed the curtain. Laces sighed, now that she needed friends she had none, most of the Newsies were to worried to be bothered with her and this was all her fault. She walked back forgetting to take the back ways and alleys until she Saw Blink and Sand (one of the younger newsies) then she jumped into the nearest alleyway. In that alleyway she heard moaning and she went to go see where it came from. When she saw the body from where the moaning was coming from, she screamed. Then she ran back out onto the street to find Blink.

“Blink!” She shouted Blink looked back and saw Laces. He ran over to him with Sand close by.

“Blink, It’s Mush ‘E’s in the alleyway, someone soaked ‘im up good.’ Laces said that and all three headed into the alleyway. Where Mush still laid moaning and groaning.

“Mush is ya are right?” Blink asked.

“Whadda ya mean is ‘e all right look at ‘im?’ Laces said. Blink looked at her and then continued.

“Cans ya walk?’ He asked. Mush looked at Blink and nodded.

“Yeah, Ise can walk.” Mush said. “well sort of anyway.” Blink nodded and then looked back to Laces.

“You gonna ‘ave ta help ‘im. You take that arm and Ise take this one.” Blink said. Laces nodded and helped get Mush up then she up his arm around her neck so he would be able to support himself.

“Where are wes going?” Laces asked as they got out to the alleyway.

“Lunch.” Blink replied.

“But.” Lace began.

“How many?’

“3, no Spot.” Mush replied.

“Weapons?’ Jack asked.

“No,” These were all questions that Laces did not understand, some of the newsies understood but there were some that were just like Laces. They hadn’t been on the streets long enough to know things like this.

“Okay someone get Mush some food and then after we’ll take him to the Lodging House.” Jack said, Blink and Jack sat him down relieving Laces from Mush weight on her shoulder. Jack then turned to her.

“Ise deal with ya later.” He said. Again the quiet, angry dangerous attitude, that Laces was used to from most of the guys that had ever entered her life. She sat down quietly next to Race and ordered something to eat even though she had lost her appetite. Race leaned over to her and put his hand on her shoulder.

“Ya really should learn to listen to people, it would get you out of trouble. Don’t worry though things will get better.” Race said. Then he finished his meal and called to Boots, to hurry up. Laces tried to smile for the boys who left Tibby’s one by one, but her heart wasn’t into it she wanted them to stay here where she was sure they wouldn’t get hurt. Where they could make her feel safe and loved, like one of them, like they had so many times before.

“Come one were taking Mush to the Lodging House, Blink and Sand go back to selling.” Jack said. Blink nodded but reluctantly left. Laces went over and grabbed one of Mush’s shoulder’s knowing what she had to do. Once out of the restaurant Jack began to talk.

“Ise told ya ta stay at the Lodging House.” He said in a stern voice. Which would have been very funny at another time when things weren’t so hectic.

“But Jack Ise was so bored I just was gonna go out for a little while.’ Laces said.

“Ise need ya ta listen ta me, during this war you’se got ta listen ta me.” Jack said. Laces listened to the words he was saying he meant them, he was trying hard to be listened to and she was the only one who was challenging his authority. She had always done that though, she couldn’t bring herself to listen to someone, not Spot, not Jack, not her father. No man or woman for that fact had ever ordered her around had ever been able to keep her under control, maybe that’s why everything went wrong.

“I’ll try Jack.” Laces said. Jack stopped and looked at Laces.

“You can’t try, You need to do, you need ta promise that your gonna listen ta me this is important.” Jack said.

“Don’t yell at her Jack.” Mush groaned out from his fat lip.

“Ise ain’t yelling at her.” Jack said to Mush.

“Yeah but,” Mush started. Laces cut in.

“It’s okay Mush, I promise Jack.” Laces said. They got to the Lodging House and put Mush in the parlor area and Jack left without another word, just a nod to Kloppman who got his first aid kit. Kloppman cleaned Mush up and Laces hung around watching and then when Kloppman was done Laces sat next to Mush.

“ Do you want me to get you something? Or read something for you?’ Laces asked.

“Why don’t you read a book to me.” Mush not really wanting to listen but knowing that Laces needed to do something and maybe this would calm her nerves.

“Some adventure book like Robinson Crusoe.” Mush said. Laces went looking for that book and began to read out loud to Mush and did so until the Newsies arrived home that night. Jack sent the younger newsies upstairs and called the rest of the newsies into parlor where Mush laid.

“Skittery, Blink and Snitch, you three go.” The boys nodded and headed out the door.

“Where are they going?’ Laces asked. All the newsies looked around, they figured Jack would answer but when he didn’t Race decided to.

“Well, they’se going to Brooklyn.” Race said.

“Why?’ Laces asked again.

“Well ya know how Mush was soaked by the Brooklyn guys, well they went to go soak one of the Brooklyn scabs.” Race said like he had a bitter taste in his mouth. Laces was in shock, she looked at all the Newsies faces and stopped when she reached Jack’s, she looked into his eyes. He nodded his head knowing that she was thinking the right thing.

“This war, all ya do is soak each other? When does it stop?’ She asked. This Jack answered.

“When the battle date is declared.” Was all he said though and no one dared to explain beyond that point. Laces didn’t understand completely and didn’t like the idea of all her friends being injured by her other friends. Most of the Newsies spent the night in the parlor awaiting the return of Blink, Skittery, and Snitch. The boys finally got back around two in the morning. They came through the door out of breath.

“Who’d ya get?’ was all that Jack asked.

“Marbles.” They answered. Laces cringed, her Marbles, that tough boy. She bit her lip though and as the rest of the newsies went up the stairs to get some sleep, Laces stood around for a second and watched Blink, Snitch and Skittery talk to Jack.

“Do ya boys want anything?’ She asked. They looked up from the conversation surprised that anyone was there at all.

“Um, be a doll and get us a drink.” Skittery said with a wink and then went back to talking. Laces went into the kitchen, the last time she had entered a kitchen was back in Brooklyn. She felt around her neck to make sure that Spot’s necklace was still there, she wondered if he even noticed that it was gone. She decided to make the boys coffee because they would need it if they were going to get through the day. She also decided that she should start cooking when they leave her here. She took a little time making the coffee and she set it on a little tray to carry it out to them. They were still talking when she went out there and she handed them their coffee. They were right at the end of their discussion.

“It’s Spot’s call when we end.” Jack was saying. The other boys nodded at this and then went about to drinking their coffee. Laces said nothing about anything, she sat there and drank her coffee looking at the boys faces.

“Tomorrow, Skittery you stay with Laces.” Jack said out of the blue, or what seem like out of the blue. Skittery nodded. “Don’t let her out of your site.” He said to Skittery. “And you listen ta ‘im for god’s sake.” Jack said. Laces nodded and looked at Skittery who had a bright face on for her. She laughed a little at him and then looked out the window. Then she decided that she needed to know, and so she would ask.

“Does only one newsies get soaked a day?” Laces asked. Jack nodded.

“Yeah.” He said, Blink looked at Jack but quickly looked back at his coffee. Laces had seen that movement and knew there was a catch to that, but no one was going to tell her about it. They finished their coffee just as the sun was coming up and they decided just to stay in the parlor and try to get at least a hour of sleep. Laces positioned herself on Skittery’s shoulder, and there fell asleep. In about a hour Kloppman came in talking about selling the banner. Groaning the boys got up, Laces rubbed her eyes and hopped up with no objection what so ever. All the newsies filed out and Jack reminded Skittery that he was with Laces and Scotch. After getting their newspapers, Skittery lead Laces and Scotch off to Central Park.

“Don’t ya go running off.” Skittery was saying to Scotch a little brown curly haired boy, who was about 7. Then Skittery Looked at Laces, he smiled and then said.

‘You ain’t gonna run off either?’ He asked.

“Not upon me honor.” Laces said with a smile. A smile that actually came without her trying for it, she had smiled for the first time in three days. She started to sell her papers there was a really bad headline today so she had fun making up new ones. They went to Tibby’s for lunch just like is it was any usual day. The only thing that was different was that there was less joking.

“Hey have ya had any trouble?’ Race asked Skittery when he walked in.

“Nah, Scotch has been fine.” Skittery said as he gave the younger boy a pat on the head. Race laughed.

“Ise didn’t mean ‘im I meant ‘er.” He said pointing to Laces.

“Why I ought!’ Laces said with a fist in the air. Skittery pushed it down lightly and laughed.

“She ain’t trouble, only when she’s around ya.” Race made a face and then went on eating that was the only joke made all day, compared to the usual wisecracks every five minutes. In about the middle of lunch Snipeshooter came running in, panting he tried to talk. He didn’t have to say anything though because Jack already knew what he was trying to say.

“Where is ‘e?” Jack asked. Snipeshooter pointed and Jack shook his head. “Show us.” He said. Jack signaled Skittery and Laces to come with him and Scotch to stay with Race and Boots. They followed Snipeshooter for about 5 minutes and then they arrived to a very familiar alleyway. Laces looked at the building next to the alleyway and saw that it was the block where the dress shop was. She stopped and looked around, maybe Spot or Bullseye had stayed behind for just a second. Skittery told her to hurry and she turned back around to see how badly Blink was beat up.

“Heya Cowboy!’ Blink said with a half a smile.

“Hey Blink.” Jack said. Blink was okay, expect for a nice bruise on his jaw and he couldn’t move his arm.

“Ya think it’s broken?’ Blink asked. Laces smiled, he was himself even after getting a soaking. She was relieved that no one was hurt to bad. She hoped that it would be the same for the Brooklyn boys. She prayed that no one would really get badly hurt in this war. That night Jack picked Jake, Skittery and Race to go over to Brooklyn and this time Laces knew what was going on.

Jack, Mush, and Blink sat in the parlor the rest of the Newsies Jack told to get some sleep. Laces of course stood around like a shadow, Jack not saying a word to her. He knew he couldn’t get her to get any sleep, she wouldn’t go.

“Coffee?’ She said, she knew that’s what they wanted but they might change their minds. All three nodded from their spots. Laces slid out of the parlor and into the kitchen. She started to make the coffee; she sat at the table while it heated. Her eyes were heavy she hadn’t more than two hours in three days. She couldn’t sleep though, not while this war was going on no way she was going to get any sleep. When the coffee was done Laces got up and went back into the parlor. The guys took their coffees and then went back to silence. Laces hated the silence of those nights, when they were out soaking someone.

“Please can we talk?’ She finally said. Mush looked at her and smiled.

“What do you want to talk about?’ He asked.

“I dunno.’ She said. “Does anyone ‘ave a story or something to tell. That’s what we could do, tell stories.” Laces said. The boys shrugged, anything to help keep them entertain was go with them.

“Why don’t you start Laces.” Blink suggested. Laces thought about it for a second and then plunged into a story.

“When I was younger I use to live in Boston, high society and all.” She sighed. The boys looked at each other. “ Well I was about 6 and we lived near a forest. I loved running around and climbing things and hated the dresses I had to wear.” Laces looked down at the clothing she was wearing, the clothing that Spot had given her, she loved these clothes more than any of the silk she had ever had. “Well one day my Mother decided to forbid me from going into the woods because I had ruined my new frock by falling into the water. Anyway I whined and begged and then had a complete fit.” Laces said with a smile. Blink laughed and Laces looked at him.

“Well you as a little girl in a dress throwing a tantrum must ‘ave been quiet a site.” He said. At this Mush and Jack laughed. Laces laughed to and then continued with her story.

“Well anyway she refused to let me go to the forest, so I tried my Father well he was busy so he just agreed to whatever I said. My mother though had this nanny following me around and so I had to get rid of her. Well I ran into the kitchen and went up and down, in between and underneath everything and my Nanny had the awful task of following me while the cooks were cooking. Well ya can see how that work, when I got out of the kitchen I went looking for my servant boy friend to find me something to wear, well he gave me a pair of slacks and a big shirt and a hat. The first time I dressed like a guy, I went to the forest and climb one of my favorite trees, the shirt that was to big for me got caught on a branch and I fell. I broke my leg, my mother had a fit and I learned never to wear big shirts.” The guys laughed at Laces story.

“I guess you’ve never listened to people.” Jack said. Laces smiled.

‘Nope. Well who’s next?’ She looked at Mush who was right next to her.

“Fine I go next, um..” Mush looked out the window for inspiration. Then he smiled his wide smile and laughed.

“When Ise was six, Me sister Anne took me to the market with her and it was cloudy, like it was about to rain. Well I ran off and me sister got what we need, when she went looking for me I jumped out from behind a cart and scared her. Well she went backward and hit the cart and it was a fish cart. The fish went everywhere and then me sister fell into a puddle of mud. It was real funny.” Mush was cracking up and so was Blink.

“Anne hated that.” He said. “ Well She was drenched and she won’t stop scolding and so I started to whine about her lecturing. She won’t stop and I said that she shouldn’t be mean to me because god was going to send a lightning bolt down and kill her. Just a little bit after that it started to rain, and well then came the lighting and thunder and she started to cry and I just laugh it was quite funny, seeing me older sis sitting under a tree, drenched and covered in Mud worry about a little lighting.” Mush said with a smile. Then all eyes turned on Jack but just then Race, Skittery, and Jake walked in. All faces went back into stern, serious mode.

“Who?” Jack asked.

“Bullseye.” Race answered. Jack nodded, Laces turned and looked out.

“Badly”? She asked after a bit of time to get her guts up.

“Laces.” Jack said. He didn’t want to know, and he didn’t want her to know. Laces looked at him with a cold and icy look, then she turned her eyes on Skittery, Race and Jake. One of them was sure to break they couldn’t stand her glare. Race dropped his eyes first, then Jake and only Skittery was left.

“We’se ain’t gonna tell ya Laces.” He said softly but determined he was. Mush shifted in his sit, the tension in the room had grown once again. Blink looking from Jack, Skittery and Laces sensed that if one of them didn’t leave soon something else was going to be added to their troubles.

“Laces, why don’t ya be a dear and get us some more coffee?” Blink nudged her. She looked at him, first with an angry look but it softened and she got up and went to the kitchen. She prepared more coffee and then went back into the parlor just as they were done discussing the night’s events. She never heard what happened they always sent her to make coffee. Again they talked a little more then use the last hour of the night to sleep before work. The next day Laces wouldn’t talk to Skittery, Race, Jack or Jake. She had to sell with Skittery but she refused to talk to him, she didn’t smile and most of the day she looked like she was going to cry. Skittery tried to make her laugh but achieved a little less then recognition that he was in the same country as Laces. By lunch Skittery was in a bad mood, he hadn’t gotten any sleep in the past two days and now one of his favorite people wasn’t talking to him. He stormed into Tibby’s followed by a sad little boy and a stern faced Laces.

“Laces,” Race said. She didn’t even look at him, she sat at a table by herself and was only joined by Snipeshooter. He tried to convince her that Jack knew what he was doing and didn’t tell her for a reason and he was soon banished from her presence too. When they went back out to sell after Lunch Skittery finally said what Laces wanted to hear.

“Ya wanna know how bad?” He said to her softly. She nodded. “ Well Blink got a broken arm, Bullseye got a broken arm.” He replied. Laces stared at him, Bullseye, her poor boy.

“But..” She started, Skittery hushed her.

“Laces that’s why we didn’t want to tell ya, now don’t ya go around letting everyone know that you know, just pretend you cooled off.” He said. She nodded again. “and for heaven’s sake please talk.” Laces smiled a small smile, and Skittery smiled.

“Thanks Skittery, for tellin’ me.” She said. Skittery laughed.

“If there is someone who has the silence treatment down it’s you.”

*******

The week passed and four more boys were soaked, on both sides. Jack didn’t ask who in front of Laces anymore, he told her to go make coffee, so now she would hear the end of the conversation but never who had gotten soaked. The boys in Manhattan were getting scared, Race, Snoddy, Snitch, and Jake had been soaked, and each time it was getting worse. Jack was running out of guys to send off at night, he had Pie Eater, Specs, Skittery still but he was going to run out soon.

Laces was getting more and more worried about what was going on, she keep asking Jack when it would all end and he would never give her a straight response because he didn’t know. It was about a week after the kiss Jack had given her and the war had started.

“You’se staying ‘ere today Laces with Sand because Skittery’s to tried to keep a eye on you two. Just hang around here at lunch time head over to Tibby’s but you two be careful.” Jack said. Laces and Sand nodded at Jack, when the newsies left Sand began to play with a top.

“Laces can I ask you something?’ He said.

“Sure honey what is it?” Laces asked from her bed.

“Why is Jack mad at ya?’

“Jack ain’t mad at me, why do youse think that?” Laces asked. The boy looked at her and then out the window.

“Something’s wrong Buttercup don’t ever come around ‘ere you’se never smile and Jack’s always so cold and depressed all the time.” Laces sighed. For a 6-year old Sand sure observed a lot. She sat up and beckoned for him to come over to her. Sand went up to her and positioned himself in her lap, Laces began to play with his sand colored hair.

“Sand lemme tell ya something, sometimes things happened between people that causes problems. Right now Jack and Spot are having problems and me and Buttercup are to.” Sand looked at her.

“Why?’ He asked.

“It’s me fault that this ‘ere is happening but your too young to understand this right now.” Laces looked out the window to avoid the young boys stare.

“It can’t be your fault Laces, you’se one of the best persons Ise know.” The little boy smiled at her. Laces kissed the little boy on the head and said.

“Thank you. We’se should head out for lunch.” Laces said. Sand nodded and got up and headed out of the bunkroom. They had gotten out onto the street when They saw Skittery, Mush, Blink and Jack coming up towards you. Skittery was being carried and looked really bad.

“What ‘appened?’ Laces asked running up to them.

“’e got it bad.” Was all Blink said. They carried him inside and placed him on the couch, he was groaning and moaning.

“Kloppman!” Jack called out when they entered. Kloppman came into the room with his first aid kit.

“This ain’t good.” Kloppman said under his breath. “You boys go out and finish sellin’ ya papes and take Sand ‘ere so ‘e can get the evening edition.” Kloppman said. Jack gave him a look but left without another word.

“Come on Sand.” Mush said. The boys filed out and Kloppman then turned to Laces.

‘Betta go get some water and cloth.” Laces nodded and headed into the kitchen.

“You’se lucky they didn’t break any ribs, you just gonna bruised up good, and ya ain’t gonna be able to move for at least three days.” Kloppman was saying. Skittery was just lying there he had stopped moaning and now he just cringed every time Kloppman did something that hurt.

“Any more and ‘e would’ve needed a doctor.” Kloppman said when he finished, wrapping Skittery up. Kloppman left the room and Laces stood there looking at Skittery.

“Well don’t stand there likes I some kind of disease, come ‘ere: Skittery said to her. Laces went over and sat on the floor next to him, not wanting to make him scoot over.

“Does it ‘urt bad?’ Laces asked.

“Not really. Why don’t you tell me something Laces, how did this war start?” Skittery asked. Laces looked at her hands that were in her lap. A tear dropped into her lap and Skittery watched her. Laces didn’t cry much, yeah she cried a lot when she first got her but she had a tough past from what everyone could make out.

“Skittery it was me fault.” She said, wiping the tears away.
“Nah, you probably just think that.” Skittery said. Laces shook her head.

“No, it’s me fault. Jack was kissing me when Spot came ‘ere.” She said softly.

“So? That don’t ‘ave anything ta do with Spot, just with Buttercup.” Skittery said. Laces shook her head again.

“No, Spot had kissed me fore I left Brooklyn.” Laces said. Skittery looked at Laces, a girl who always looked ready for a fight now she looked vulnerable and helpless. Laces started to break down.

“Ise sorry Skittery, Ise always seem ta hurt the people Ise love the most.” Laces said. Skittery strokeed her hair as much as he could from where he was, but he didn’t try to calm her or stop her crying. He let her cry and soon the sobs died out and Laces just laid her head by Skittery and that’s how the newsies found them when they got back. Race saw Laces tear stained face first.

“What’s the matta?” He asked.

“Nuthing Race, she’s fine.” Skittery said. Jack glared at her with an icy stare. Luckily she wasn’t looking at him, and so she didn’t see it.

“Laces go be a good goyl and make us some coffee.’ Blink said, catching Jack’s glare. Laces got up slowly and went into the kitchen where Snipeshooter soon joined her.

“Ise decide ta make ya company for a little while.” He said cheerfully. Laces smiled at him. She loved the younger newsies who were such a comfort to her sometimes. The little boys looked to her as a older sister and almost a mother type person. They loved her to death, and lately had been very worried because she didn’t smile anymore. So this smile she gave Snipeshooter made him very happy and extremely sweet.

“So what ya doin?’ He asked.

“Making coffee.” She replied.

‘ ‘ere Ise brought ya something.” Snipeshooter said. Laces looked at him curiously. Snipeshooter opened his hand and revealed a little ball covered in pretty pink wrapping. “It’s candy.” He said.

“Why ya didn’t ‘ave ta.” Laces said.

“But Ise wanted ta.” Snipeshooter replied. Laces smiled at him and took the candy. She opened it and licked the wrapper. She hadn’t had candy in a long time, almost three years. Then she looked at Snipeshooter.

“Why don’t you share this with me, I ain’t to hungry right now.” She said, Snipeshooter smiled brightly and took the candy and started to suck it. Then the kettle sounded and Laces went to prepare the coffee. She went out to the parlor to find that she was three coffees short, because Specs, Bumlets and Itey were in the room also.

“ Why didn’t ya boys go in there, now Ise ‘ave ta go back and make more.” Laces knew they hadn’t gone back to tell her because they were trying to talk and she couldn’t be there. She went back into the kitchen, Snipeshooter was still sitting there.

“Jack says it’s going ta be over soon Laces, don’t worry.” He said. Laces looked at him.

‘Snipeshooter, when did ya hear that?’ she asked. Snipes shrugged.

“ Ya know that Ise hear things, Ise just so small that people forget that Ise there.” Laces nodded, she was nodding while she warmed up the remainder of the coffee.

“Snipeshooter ya betta get some sleep, don’t go jumping off the walls because ya had some candy.” Laces said. Snipes nodded.

“Ise go up in a little while, when are ya gonna get some sleep?” Laces sighed, she hadn’t sleep in a week, she had barely eaten in a week, none of the older newsies really had.

“I will when this is all over.” She said. “Don’t ya worry bout me.” And with that she headed back out into the parlor. She handed the boys their coffee and took her position on the floor by Skittery again. Jack looked at her but continued to talk. He hadn’t really talked to Laces directly after that day; he even tried ignoring her.

“Pie eater, Bumlets, and Specs you’se go tonight.” Jack said, those boys headed out with a nod to Laces.

“Skittery would ya like I blanket?’ Laces asked.

‘Nah it ain’t that cold in ‘ere.” Skittery said. Laces got up and went to the closet and got out a pillow and two blankets. She started to position Skittery, putting his head on a pillow and covering him with a blanket.

“Laces?’ He said.

“Ise ain’t gonna let ya get a cold down ‘ere and ya aren’t gonna move for the rest of the week like Kloppman said.” She said. Blink, Race, and Mush smiled at Laces while Jack and Itey grinned.

“Well who’s turn is it ta tell stories?’ Blink asked. They had keep going taking turns telling different stories about their childhood, learning a lot about each other. This was the first time that Skittery had stayed and so he had what they were talking about.

“What?” He asked.

“Ise start so that ‘e understands and then ‘e can go.” Race said.

Race started his story and then Skittery started a story but didn’t get to finish it because the boys got back and Laces was again sent out for more coffee. Again most of the night was spent up. In the morning the newsies head out and Laces stayed behind again but this time to take care of Skittery. He sleep in late, Laces awoke with the newsies and got up and went into the kitchen to see what she could find for Skittery’s breakfast. The day went slowly until the sun started to set and the newsies started coming back to the lodging house. All the newsies entered and no one had been soaked. Or so was thought, Jack was discussing it, and Laces was making coffee when Boots went into the kitchen.

“Laces ‘ave ya seen Snipes?’ He asked her. Laces looked up from the coffee pot she was stirring.

“No, ain’t ‘e ‘ere?’ Laces asked.

“Nah we ran away from Specs and Specs didn’t notice cause he was so tried. No one has, Ise saw him go but ya know Snipes ‘es usually back by now.” Laces had stopped stirring her coffee, She stared at boots.

“Why didn’t ya tell someone Snipes was leaving?’ She asked.

“Well no one was paying attention and well Ise thought that Snipe would be back.” Laces grabbed Boots by the shoulders and shook him.

“”e shouldn’t be alone!” She was saying, she wasn’t aware that she was hurting the boy.

“LACES!’ Boots screamed, Laces snapped out of it and went into the parlor where everyone stared at her.

“Snipeshooter.” She said.

“Snipeshooter what?’ Jack asked.

“”e ain’t ‘ere. ‘e ran off since lunch and ‘e ain’t back yet.” Laces said. All the newsies thought the same thing.

“Blink and Race ya guys check uptown. Specs and Pie eater you’se check Central Park. Mush and Itey Check all ‘e’s favorite places, ‘e bound ta be somewhere. Laces stay ‘ere.” Jack headed out the door.

“Jack where are ya going?’ Laces called out after him.

“Nowhere, tell Bumlets ta come ‘ere and join me.” Laces knew where he was going, he was going to Brooklyn she just wasn’t sure for what.

“But Jack..” She started but was silenced.

“Just shut ya mouth Laces, Ise know what Ise doing. We’se don’t got ta tell each other everything ya know.” Jack said coldly. Laces called Bumlets and went back into the parlor; it was the first time in a week that Laces had noticed that Jack was really mad at her.

“Don’t worry they’ll find ‘im.” Skittery said.

“Yeah I know, Ise just afraid of how they’ll find ‘im,” Laces said. She sat there for about an hour just looking out the window at Brooklyn, where she knew that Spot was mad at her and her friends were also getting soaked. If they didn’t find Snipes soon Laces was going to kill herself, because her thoughts were driving her crazy.

“Laces get the doctor!” Someone yelled from outside. Laces ran to the door and opened it in Came Race and Blink carrying Snipeshooter, who looked even worst then Skittery had.

“Snipes?” Laces said, she began to cry again and once Blink put Snipes down, he ran for the doctor. Laces grabbed Snipes hand, he couldn’t even open his eyes, but he knew she was there.

“Ise didn’t mean ta run away and cause trouble, Ise was just so tried of being watched and not being able ta go anywhere.” He said. Laces started to cry. “Please don’t cry, Laces. Ise promise Ise won’t do it again.’ Snipes said in a desperate attempt to quiet her. “It’s okay Snipes, Ya didn’t do anything wrong.” Laces said. Race and Skittery watched Laces with Snipes and thought to themselves how wonderful she really was, they also noticed how she looked weaker.

Blink came back with the doctor and examined Snipes, he told everyone to get out but he could not get Laces out or Skittery because he couldn’t move. When he came out of the room and into the hall he looked at the boys.

“You boys ‘ave some pretty bad situations on your hands. That little boy is in bad shape, ‘es got a rib broken and he can’t opened his eyes, I patched him up but ‘e can’t be moved. The older one ‘e’ll be fine in another two days. But the one who worries me is the girl.” The doctor said. Blink looked at the Doctor.

“Why Doc?’ He asked.

“She ain’t in good shape, she hasn’t been eating or sleeping and she’s exhausted if she keeps this up she could die.” The doctor said. Blink went into shock.

“What do we do Doc?” Race asked.

“Get ‘er ta eat and sleep, and don’t get ‘er excited.” The doctor said. The boys nodded and the doctor left. Blink and Race entered the parlor again, Snipes was asleep and Skittery was half-asleep. Laces though, was still where they had left her wide awake with tears rolling down her cheeks.

“Laces why don’t we get a bite to eat and then you can go to bed.” Blink suggested. Laces looked at him.

“No, Ise ain’t moving.” She said.

“Come on, when was the last time ya ate something?” Race asked.

“Ise said no.” Laces said. The boys looked at each other, maybe Jack would be able to get her to eat and sleep. They sat down and played a game of poker with Laces, to keep her entertained. Around midnight Jack, Bumlets and Specs returned and Laces jumped up when they entered.

“Coffee?’ She asked. Laces went into the kitchen and when she was making the coffee she dropped the kettle and the water spilled, she screamed. The boys came running in. Laces stood there.

“Laces why don’t ya get some sleep?’ Jack asked. She shook her head. “Your going ta bed.” Jack said going up to her.

“NO, Jack Kelly I ain’t going no where.” She said. Jack picked her up and she tried to fight it but she couldn’t. Jack noticed how weak she had gotten, she could’ve gotten out of this a week ago.

“JACK! PUT ME DOWN!” She was screaming and she started to cry. The newsies looked at her, They knew that there was no way that she was going to stay in bed, Jack noticed to and so he just carried her back into the parlor.

“At least lie down.” He said. Laces went over to Snipeshooter and laid her head on the couch he was on and grabbed his hand. Jack shook his head, but continued to discuss things. Everyone looked at her every so often, she looked like a mother. A really depressed scary looking mother, who hasn’t stop worrying.

“Who?” She suddenly asked. She didn’t move, or looked up and she barely spoke above a whisper.

“We’se agreed we weren’t gonna tell ya, it’s just like look what Snipes soaking just did ta ya.” Race said. Avoiding the gaze that Jack was giving him.

“It was Bottle cap wasn’t it?’ She asked again not moving. There was silence for some time; none of the newsies said a word. “I knew it would be, I have figured out how this works, Ise ain’t that stupid.” Laces said. With that she fell to humming a little tune to herself, and rocked back and forth. Blink whispered to Jack.

“She can’t keep going like this.” He said. Jack nodded.

“The battle will be in about a month unless Spot is stupid and ain’t gonna call it.” Jack said back. Blink nodded but he didn’t think that Laces would stop being like this, after the war there was still the problem that start this all.

**********

About a week later Snipes and Skittery were doing much better, Laces was looking better but she still wasn’t sleeping or eating much. She only ate and slept when Jack forced her and she was so weak by now that she could barely fight him. Laces was beginning to wonder why there had been no more fights, she hadn’t heard of anything and Jack and some of the newsies still sat in the parlor, but they didn’t send anyone out.

One day Laces decided that she would go visit Bottle Cap, she had really wanted to see him and she figured that he would be at the lodging house. Jack still didn’t want her selling, he thought she was sick. Laces had fallen asleep down in the parlor with Snipes in her arms when she woke up. She looked out the window, the sun was just rising and none of the other Newsies were up yet. She shook Snipes.
“Snipes,” She said. She gently got up and straightened up and he rubbed his eyes and looked at her.

‘What ya doin’?’ He asked.

‘Ise gonna some where but Ise be back.” Laces said.

“Ya gonna go ta Brooklyn?’ Snipes asked. Laces smiled the little boy knew her well, and she knew that the older boys also knew her well.

“Snipes don’t say a word, if jack asks where I went just tell him that I went to see Medda cause I need ta talk ta someone.” Laces said. Snipes made a face of concern and then he smirked.

“Ise don’t like this, but anything for ya.” Laces smiled and gave him a kissed.

“Thank ya. Your such a sweetie.” With that Laces headed out the door of the lodging house and started towards Brooklyn. She looked around at Manhattan in the morning it was peaceful. She smiled a little when she started thinking about what month it was and how it was going to be a year soon when she had joined the Newsies. She walked thinking about everything that had happened, she stopped in front of a book store and looked into the window and saw her reflection. She ran her fingers through her hair and rubbed under her eyes. She looked awful, her hair was a mess, she had large dark circles under her eyes, and she was so thin.

“Aw.” Laces grabbed her stomach it was the first time she had time to feel the pain, she sighed. She knew that she was sick and that she needed to get better but with everything that had been happening there was no way that she had time to get better.

“Ise listen ta Cowboy when this is all over.” She said to herself and she walked again towards Brooklyn. She crossed the bridge and noticed how this was the second time she had crossed that bridge alone. She laughed out loud.

“The first time I crossed this bridge I was tryin’ ta gets away from Spot Conlon and now Ise wish I could just see ‘im again.” She said with a wry smile. It took Laces a while to walk to Brooklyn but when she got there she was sure that most of the newsies would be off selling, so she was relieved. She entered the lodging house without thinking twice about it, Rick was sitting at the front desk.

‘What are ya doing ‘ome early?’ He asked not looking up.

“Laces?’ He asked as if he were seeing things. She nodded and smiled at him.

“Heya Rick, nice ta see ya again.” Rick got up and went over to her and gave her a hug. When he let go of her and looked at her. He shook his head.

“Ya haven’t been taking care of yourself, this war has tore ya apart. Ise gonna go get ya’s some food, Bottle Cap is up in the bunkroom. And don’t worry Spot shouldn’t be around.” Rick said. Laces sighed at Rick’s remarks but went up to see Bottle Cap. When she entered the bunkroom she looked around, it was clean, almost spotless. It surprised her, when she first saw the clean room her reaction was to reach for her neck where she closed her hand around the key charm at the end of Spot’s necklace. “Bottle Cap?” She choked out. A little head popped up from one of the bunks and she ran over to it. She hugged the small boy.

‘Laces?” He hugged her back. “Ise knew ya would come back.” The little boy said.

“Ise came ta see ya but Ise can’t stay long.” Laces said. Bottle pouted a little but then smiled again.

‘Ise so happy ta see ya Laces, Ise missed ya.” Bottle Cap said. Laces smiled at the little boy and began to play with his hair, a habit she had picked up.

“Ise missed ya ta. Now what ‘ave ya been up ta? And ya ain’t hurtin’ that bad are ya?”

“Ise been fine. Ise don’t really blame the Manhattan guys for soakin’ me cause well they had ta, I heard that Snipes got it bad. Ise glad ‘e got ya ta take care of ‘im. Spot has been taking care of me real well. Bullseye is betta, he can walk now pretty well.” Laces let a tear fall at that, but quickly recomposed herself so that the little boy wouldn’t see her cry.

“Ise sorry that all this is happening.” Laces said.

“Don’t worry bout it, it ain’t your fault. Spot’s sure has been different without ya around.” Bottle Cap said. Laces sighed how she wished things could just go back to the way they had been, but they couldn’t. Bottle Cap sensed her anxiety over this whole matter and decided to speak up.

“Ise heard that they was choosing a date for the battle today.” Bottle Cap said. Laces looked up at Bottle Cap.

“When and where?” She asked.

“’ere in about 20 minutes.” Bottle Cap said. Rick walked into the room with food for the both of them.

“Rick, how do they choose a date for the battle?’ Laces asked, knowing that Rick would know and not hesitate in telling her.

“They’ll be ‘ere in a littl’ while, both Jack and Blink ta talk with Spot and Bullseye. The date will probably be in about a month or so.” Rick said.

“I will wait until they get ‘ere then and I will find out when the battle will be held.” Laces said determined. Rick shook his head and made a very disapproving face.

“That ain’t such a good idea those boys are sure gonna be surprised and not ta happy at that.” Rick said. He knew that Lace wasn’t gonna change her mind though. He left the food there and exited the room waiting for the storm that he knew would soon arrive. As Rick walked down the stairs he sighed.

“Pity, such a wonderful and pretty girl the cause of such a predicament.’ About ten minutes later Spot arrived with Bullseye.

“Heya Rick.” Spot said and was about to head up the stairs when Rick tried to distract him.

“Spot, where ya going?’ He asked. Spot gave Rick a puzzled look, and stopped on the first stair.

“Ise gonna see Bottle.” Spot said. Then started up the stairs again.

“Um, ‘e’s asleep why don’t ya wait down ‘ere and see ‘im after Kelly’s left.” Rick said. Spot grinned but shrugged and went into the parlor. Bullseye looked at Rick for a second before following Spot and Rick silently informed Bullseye that Laces was upstairs. Bullseye nodded and went into the parlor with Spot. Not very much later Jack and Blink entered.

“Hello Rick.” Jack said.

“Hey Kelly, in the parlor.” Rick said. With that Jack and Blink headed into the parlor, And Laces came out of the bunkroom and down the stairs quietly listening.

“ Conlon.” Jack said.

“Kelly.” Spot said. Laces shuddered at how cold they were being, them the boys who had been best friends for who knew how long. Laces knew that Blink and Bullseye were in the room, but they said nothing.

“The 31st of October, Kelly?” Spot said, more as a command then a question.

“That’ll work just fine. No more soaking till then.” Jack said.

“Whatever ya say Kelly.” Spot said. Laces knew that they spit shook on it.

“Till then Conlon.” Jack said.

“Can’t wait.” Spot said. Jack came walking out of the parlor with Blink following, Laces didn’t know if she should bolt up or out the door. She didn’t move though and when Jack and Blink came into the lobby they saw her sitting there.

“What in the ‘ell are ya doin’ ‘ere?” Jack asked, obviously angry.

“Ise…” Laces started, and then Spot walked into the lobby and gave her a glare. Laces got up and looked at the floor. Blink slipped his arm around her and nudged Jack to head out the door. Once they were out the door Jack started to ask questions and lecture again.

“Ise told ya not ta come over ‘ere. ‘Ell Ise told ya not ta leave the lodging house. Look at ya, you’se getting’ sicker and who knows what could ‘ave happened ta ya over ‘ere.” Jack said.

“Jack just leave ‘er alone.” Blink said.

“No, Ise sick and tried of all of you’se sticking up for ‘er, she should take responsibility for ‘er actions.” Jack said. “She ain’t some little princess and we should stop treating ‘er like one. She ain’t even that damn great.” Jack said.

“JACK QUIT IT!!” Blink said, rather loudly. Jack stared at him for a few seconds, mumbled something and then kept quiet the rest of the way. When they reached the lodging house again, Laces collapsed in Blink’s arms, she was tried. Jack picked her up and put her to bed.

“Don’t get up.’ Jack said sternly and then left. Laces fell asleep, but woke up screamin about something. Race came running in.

“What happened?’ He asked panting.

“Ise just had a bad dream.” Laces said. Race smirked and gave her a hug.

“Ya wanna play a little poker, Ise teach ya how again.” Race said.

“Good cause Ise don’t know how anymore.” Laces smiled a little.

“Ise gonna go get me cards.” Race said. Laces nodded, Race left the room and Laces got up and went for a brush. She brushed her shoulder length hair and looked at the mirror, she still looked the same. Race walked in and glanced at her, she looked sad, tired and worst of all sick.

“Ya look beautiful.” He said to her. She spun around, and put the brush down.

‘Ya weren’t ever good at lying Racetrack Higgins.” Laces remarked. Racetrack made a gesture and bowed.

“Ise give ya the world’s worst lair!” He said. Laces laughed, he looked at her and then smiled. “See ya do look great when ya smile.” She smiled again.

“Ise look like the cat just dragged me in.”

“Nah, ya just need ta rest. Promise me that your gonna rest more and eat.” Race said.

“Ise promise I will when I can.” Race wasn’t satisfied but that was the best he was going to do, he went on to start the game of poker.

*********

October 31st 1898


Laces was getting better, she was getting almost back to normal. She was getting more rest and eating more to, but she was still weak. She was more nervous then ever today. Jack had forbid anyone from telling her anything about the battle for her own safety. So she didn’t know when it started, when they would leave or where it was. It was driving her insane that she knew nothing for all that she knew they could be fighting the battle right now, but no they were going to lunch at Tibby’s.

Around lunchtime Skittery came walking into the Lodging House.

“Laces?” He called out, she came running down the stairs almost falling down them.

“Heya be careful.” Skittery said. Helping her down the last step and smiling at her.

“Ise just so worried about ya. Come on Skitts tell me at least when it starts?” Laces said.

“NO.” Skittery said. “Ise ain’t gonna tell ya no matter how much ya annoy me. We’se gonna go ta lunch and if Jack hears ya talking about it, ‘E’s gonna yell at you again.” Skittery said. Laces pouted a bit, everyone was being so harsh lately, and in their own ways but they were all being harsh since she had gone to Brooklyn. When she entered Tibby’s she noticed the newsies were quiet. They were nervous to, they were all worried about the battle tonight but no one was allowed to talk about it in front of her.

Laces sat down next to Blink at Jack’s table as usual. She looked out the window and saw Buttercup pass, Laces sighed. She had gone back to the dress shop every day for the past month in a effort to apologize but Buttercup won’t even see her. Jack had even gone there to get her to talk to them again. Nothing had been achieved though Buttercup would not even look at Jack or Laces twice if she saw them on the street.

“So how ya feeling today?” Jack asked after he noticed her watching Buttercup.

“Okay.” Laces replied. She ordered some food. When it came she ate slowly and very little, Jack watched her and remembered the first day he had met her. She had been the exact same way and Spot had made her eat faster. Jack smiled a bit at the memory and hoped that tonight would be the end of this war, he knew that it would still be some time before him and Spot talked again but this battle would end the war.

“How was your day?” Laces asked the boys.

“The headline was betta than yesterday.” Blink said. Laces nodded, it had been almost two months since she had been out to sell, she would sell 10 of the evening papes some times with Jack, or Skittery but not usually.

“Yeah, The headline today didn’t need to be fixed that much.” Jack laughed a bit. The tension seemed to loosen in the room a bit and more of the boys started smiling.

“Hey Race ‘ave ya been ta the tracks lately?” Laces asked. Race puffed at his cigar and then smiled.

“So ya member how ta play poker Laces?’ race asked with a grin. Laces looked at the table and shook her head. All the newsies laughed as Race let out a frustrated sigh.

“Sorry Race, it’s just...” Laces said in a attempt to explain why she never remember how to play poker.

“If you’se never learn ta play poker howz I suppose ta teach ya all the other games?” Race asked. Laces smiled.

“I’ll learn someday, Ise promise Race.” Laces said.

“Okay why don’t Skitts take ya back ta the Lodging House now.” Jack said. Skittery got up and went over to Laces. They left Tibby’s and walked to the lodging house in silence at first.

“Skitts will anyone get really hurt?” She asked. Skittery looked at Laces, she was getting the color in her cheeks back and her eyes were no longer glazed over. She almost looked healthy, she was still thinner than usual and she still looked drained half the time and that usual sparkle in her was no longer there, this war had done this to her. Skittery didn’t want to upset her but there was something, maybe a hint of that old sparkle that made him tell her against his better judgment.

“Maybe. But don’t ya worry about it well take care of each other.” He put his arm around her shoulder and gave her a half hug to reassure her that everything was going to be fine. Laces took a deep breath, these boys had been her life for the past 8 months, but she felt like she had been with them forever. They were the closest to family she had. When they got to the lodging house and Skittery gave Laces a kiss on the cheek and again told her not to worry about anything.

“Watch Snipes and the other little ones Skittery, please.” Laces begged him. Skittery nodded and then walked off down the road. Laces went into the Lodging House and went to go sit in the parlor and as soon as she sat down she began to cry. She cried softly and not for every long, she pulled her knees put to her chest and wrapped her arms around her legs.

“Please god, please don’t let any of them get hurt.” Laces whispered. That was all that Laces did all afternoon sit there and pray, and hope that no one would get hurt. Around sun set the door flew open and in came two small figures panting and scared.

“Laces?’ they said. Laces looked up, her heart in her throat afraid for anything that they may say.

“In ‘ere.” She almost whispered but the two heard her and walked in.

“Laces?” they said again, she look towards them in surprise.

“Bottle cap? Snipes?”

“Laces we’se scared, they all look so mad at each other, specially Jack and Spot.” Bottle Cap said.

“We’se think they might kill each other.” Snipes said. Laces took a deep breath.

“Take me to them and hurry.” She said. The little boys nodded their heads. “They haven’t started fighting yet have they?’ The boys shook their heads and they started out the door. They went thorough all the back ways and short cuts. They ran the whole way not stopping for anything, they were on the Brooklyn bridge in no time at all. Laces was breathing hard and felt like she was floating but she didn’t stop to think. The boys lead her to the docks, that she had been to before and there at the end of the docks was a huge group of boys all looking at the dock. Laces looked pass the group and saw that on the dock was Jack and Spot they were circling each other she could see their lips moving but she could not hear. She pushed her way through the boys and ran up the dock to Jack and Spot. Many of the Brooklyn and Manhattan Newsies were yelling after her to stop, but she paid them no heed. “SPOT CONLON and JACK KELLY!” She screamed just as Spot was going to hit Jack with his cane and Jack was about to throw a punch. The both stopped and turned to look at her. Their eyes were cold and angry, Laces would have shuddered and ran off in any other circumstance but this was something she had to do. “You two need ta stop this foolishness, look at all you newsies, isn’t it enough that most of them were already hurt once, what if someone gets hurt tonight? And all for what? Why are you two doing this?’ Laces was talking loud but she wasn’t yelling yet. The stares did not change but Spot did take a step closer and looked at her.

“Ya know whys we doing this.” He said softly. Laces looked at him, he seem different from when she had first meet him, colder, tougher and less emotional.

“Well if it’s the reason I think it is, then I think your both stupid.” Laces said with her hands on her hips.

“Your right something like this for someone like ya is pretty stupid.” Jack said. Laces felt like he had punched her in the stomach all her air left her lungs, and her courage was slowly exiting also.

“Please stop this now.’ Laces begged the boys. Looking from one cold face to the other.

“Too late now.” Spot said. Laces shook her head and put her hand to her neck and grabbed the necklace that she had taken for Spot what seem ages ago. Spot caught a glimpse of the necklace and his face changed for a spit second, but went back to cold even quicker than when it change.

“Ise see that you’se still have that necklace that you stole from me.” Spot moved closer to her and laces backed up.

“Ise didn’t mean ta steal it.” She said gripping the necklace harder.

“But ya did.” Spot said take another step towards her. Laces again stepped back, she was afraid of this Spot Conlon.

“Spot please, stop this nonsense before it gets out of hand.” Laces begged.

“Late again Audrey.” Spot said taking another step towards. Laces was startled, Spot was being so cold and mean. She took a large step back and she was on the edge of the dock. She looked behind her and saw the dark water of the East River. She lost her balance and with a small scream she fell into the water. She splashed into the water and felt the sting of the temperature in her body drop. She tried to suck in air but she tried to late and gulped in water. She felt like her body was giving up on her, she could hear spot’s words,

“Too late Audrey.”

Spot and Jack were both staring at the river, they didn’t move. Laces wasn’t coming up though and the silence was frightening.

“MOVE YOUS IDIOTS SHE’S GONNA DROWN!!!” Skittery pushed his way through the crowd of boys and ran down the dock. By that time Spot and Jack snapped out of their trace and jumped into the east river after her.

Laces was watching everything go dark and she had a great desire to close her eyes and sleep. Then she felt someone tugging at her and then she was being lifted out of the river. Laces’ eyes were closed when She felt the sudden gush of air against her skin and then she could not feel anything, she could not hear anything.

Spot had grabbed Laces and Jack wasn’t far behind they got her on the dock, she was pale and looked like a ghost.

“LACES?” Spot said. There was no response not one movement made. Jack got down on his knees and shook her a bit, but still she did not make any signs that she was still alive.

“We’se gotta get ‘er ta a doctor.” Spot said. Jack nodded and lifted her. Skittery took off his coat and laid it on her to keep the wind from getting her colder than she was already. Jack, Spot and the rest of the newsies walked to the Brooklyn Lodging house. Skittery and Race were sent to get the doctor and Snipes and Bottle cap were sent to warn Rick that they needed somewhere to put her.

The boys got to the Lodging House and Rick was awaitin’ them.

‘Only you’se two can come with me the rest of you stay out here.” Rick pointed to Jack and Spot. The other newsies mumbled a bit but did as they were told. Rick showed them the room he had prepared and Jack put Laces down on the bed.

“Spot find ‘er some clothes ta get her changed. Jack go see if you can find her some blankets and check if the doctor is ‘ere yet.” Rick ordered. Rick looked at Laces, her face looked like one of a china made doll, so sad looking. Rick smiled a bit to himself, she had achieved what she had come to do. She had stopped the war between Brooklyn and Manhattan without any of the newsies getting hurt. Spot came back with a nightgown and Jack with blankets and the doctor.

“Ise need all of you to leave, Nurse please change her out of those wet clothes.” The doctor said as he prepared his instruments. Rick, Spot, and Jack slipped out the door and went into the parlor where they found all of the newsies wanting to know if she was going to be okay.

“Is she gonna be okay?” Snipes asked. Jack looked at him and sighed.

“Ise don’t know.” Skittery gave Spot and Jack a look that could kill but said nothing to them. Instead he asked Race to play some poker with him. Race agreed gladly, poker would ease his nerves. All the newsies found some way to distract themselves while the doctor was examining Laces. Finally after what seemed like forever the doctor and the nurse came out.

“Who’s in charge here?” the doctor asked. Spot stood up but Jack pulled him back down and Rick came up to the doctor.

“What’s wrong with her?” Rick asked.

“I think we should talk alone.” The doctor said. Rick shook his head though.

“No, whatever ya got ta say ya said in front of all of us.” Rick said. The Doctor shrugged.

“I am really surprised that girl is still breathing. She hasn’t been eating well, she hasn’t been sleeping well, she hasn’t been too healthy, and she seems like she’s been a nervous wreck. I don’t know how she fell into the river but I know that you got her out right on time, I don’t know when she’ll wake up, but there is a very slim chance she won’t. You have to watch her and if she gets a fever keep it down, get her to take this and when she wakes up, which she will most likely do make her eat. She may not be moved I will come back in two weeks to check up on her.” The doctor said. Most of the newsies were looking at the ground, there heart beats racing at the very thought of losing Laces. Snipes and Bottle Cap looked like they were about the cry and Skittery was glaring at Jack and Spot. The doctor said something more and then he left. Once he was out the door Skittery, Spot and Jack exploded.

“THIS IS ALL YA TWO’S FAULT!” Skittery yelled at Spot and Jack.

‘This ain’t me fault, it’s his fault. You’se the one that has been watching her.” Spot said to Jack.

“You’re the one who started this stupid thing in the first place!” Jack said to Spot.

“Why don’t we finish this now, Kelly?” Spot taunted.

“Ise don’t think ya wanna call the doctor back Conlon.” Jack gritted his teeth.

“Why ya gonna be needing ‘im?” Spot asked. Jack took a swing and hit Spot in the shoulder. Spot fought back and both were on the floor in the next second. Bullseye had tripped Spot and Mush had tripped Jack.

“What the ‘ell ya doin’?’ Spot looked at Bullseye.

“Will ya two not quit it. Forget about this stupid war, don’t ya see it’s both of your fault that Laces is almost died.” Bullseye said. Spot mumbled something, grabbed his cane and jumped up. He looked around the room and then wiped his hands on his pants and walked out the door.

“Why don’t ya Manhattan Newsies stay here tonight.” Rick said.

“Ise not leaving until she wakes up.” Skittery said and positioned himself on the pillow next to the fireplace. The Brooklyn newsies sighed and went up the stairs, telling some of the Manhattan newsies that there were a few empty beds upstairs. Jack climbed up to the roof, while Mush, Skittery, Blink, Race, Snipes and Bottle cap stayed in the parlor.

“Skittery is she gonna be okay?’ Snipeshooter asked. Skittery looked at the little boy.

“Yeah kid, she’ll be fine. She’s a real fighter she’ll pull through.” Snipeshooter smiled and stretched out on the couch. Race was pacing and smoking his cigar down to nothing.

“Race could ya teach me how ta play Blackjack?” Bottle cap asked. Race looked at the boy.

“Why do ya wanna learn ta play that?’ He asked.

“It takes a long time ta teach and it will keep ya busy.” Bottle Cap said. Race smiled and Blink laughed.

“So the pacing was getting ta you too.” Race grinned, but sat down and began to teach Bottle cap how to play blackjack. The boys stayed up most of the night, Spot never came back to the lodging house until morning and Jack didn’t come off the roof until morning either. In the morning Rick came up to the bunkroom first and woke all the newsies who were asleep up, which weren’t many.

“I think it best that you all carry the banner today. Manhattan maybe you should head back to Manhattan.” Rick was saying when Jack climbed in through the window.

“I think we will but if anything happens send Bottle cap over.” Jack said. He went down to go see Laces without another word to anyone. Spot had just come into the Lodging House. He headed for Laces room and entered quietly.

Jack entered about three seconds later and saw that Spot was there also.

“Spot.” Jack said.

“Jack.” Spot said. They both looked at Laces, she still didn’t look any better. She actually looked worse. Jack put the back of his hand to her forehead. She was freezing, he pulled the blanket round her neck. Both boys stood there for a little while, they didn’t look at each other just at Laces. They didn’t talk to each other or anything. Jack walked out the room first but before he left, he took one more look at Laces and then he said something to Spot.

“You take care of her Conlon. Send Bottle Cap if anything happens. We’se all going back to Manhattan.” With that he shut the door without even giving Spot and a chance to respond. Spot nodded and looked at Laces one more time. He pulled the blanket down a bit and felt around her neck for the necklace. He found it and was going to take it off her when he remembered how on the docks she had gripped it, like it was some kind of good luck charm. He decided to let her have it on a little longer, if it was a good luck charm let it work it’s magic now. He covered her up again and looked at her again, then he walked to the door. Before closing the door he said it quietly but he said it.

‘Hey Kid, me name’s Patrick, wake up and you will be able ta call me that.” With that Spot closed the door and left to go sell papes for the day.

************

Mid-November 1898


Laces was getting better, she could even sit up now. She still wasn’t allowed to get up and move around, not because she couldn’t but because the doctor said she shouldn’t. The newsies treated her like a little sister and wouldn’t let her do anything. She would have a few newsies come visit her everyday, they would tell her stories and keep her entertain.

Whenever Laces was alone though she always had time to think. She hadn’t seen Spot or Jack since she had fallen into the river. They hadn’t come to see her at all, or so she thought. Spot and Jack had come to see her, but they only came when she was asleep. One day Bottle Cap and Snipeshooter came to see her on the same day.

“Heya Laces, howz it rolling?” They asked her cheerfully. She smiled when she saw them enter.

“I’ve been fine. How have ya two been?’ She asked while beckoning the Small boys to come sit on the bed and give her a hug.

“We’se been pretty good. We had a good headline.” Snipeshooter said.

“Yeah what was it?’ Laces asked.

“Umm.. I think it went something like dead man found in alleyway, then it said something about being drunk but we didn’t say that part and sold all of our newspapers.”

“you boys don’t happen ta have a newspaper left do ya?’ Laces asked.

“No. but we can go out and find ya one.” Snipeshooter said. Just then the door opened and in walked Jack and Spot. Laces was surprised to see them coming to see her, but what shocked her the most was they were together. According to all the newsies Jack and Spot were still very cold towards on another.

“Snipeshooter, Bottle Cap please leave.” Spot said, in his stern and cold voice. Snipeshooter was about to voice an objection but Jack gave him a stare that sent him out the door without another thought to it.

“Why did ya ‘ave ta scare them away like that?’ Laces asked. Spot and Jack didn’t answer her question they just looked at her for a second; they had come a lot to see her, almost more than all the other newsies. They just came when she was sleeping, so they hadn’t seen that her eyes had gotten that sparkle back.

“What is wrong with you two. Are you still mad at me?” Laces asked. She had been afraid that they had been because they hadn’t come to see.

“Audrey.” Jack started. Laces shivered at the use of her real name. “What was your father’s name?” He asked.

“Joseph Kai, why?” Laces was breathing harder.

“Well, ‘ere.” Spot handed her a paper and she looked at the front page. The article on the Dead man found in the alleyway. She read the first sentence aloud.

“38 year old, Joseph Mark Kai was found dead in a alleyway, suspected to be from an overdose.” There Laces choked up and began to tremble and then started to cry. Jack and Spot went to her side and each tried to comfort her.

“Hush Laces, it’s gonna be okay. Ise promise” Jack said. Laces shook her head and sobbed.

“No Jack, don’t promise something that you can’t keep.” Laces said. Jack looked at Spot, who was trying to think of something to say.

“Laces come on, don’t cry.” Spot said. Laces looked at him and then leaned her head against his shoulder.

“Be the Spot Conlon that I first meet.” She whispered under her sobs. Spot tighten his grip around her and her sobs became softer and softer and soon they were no more. Spot looked down at Laces and sighed.

“She always does this Jack.”

“Does what Spot?’ Jack asked.

“Whenever she starts crying she falls asleep in me arms.” Spot said.

“And ya don’t like that?” Jack wondered.

“Well I hate ta see ‘er cry but Ise glad that Ise can calm ‘er down.” Spot said. He laid her down softly and both boys left the room. Jack headed back to Manhattan with Snipeshooter.

“Jack do you still like Laces?’ Snipes asked Jack.

“Like her?” Jack asked.

“Like Spot did.” Snipes repeated, and then added. “do you want ‘er as ya goyl?’

“Not anymore.” Jack said. Jack was lying to himself she was still beautiful it’s just she had caused him so much more trouble then he planned and he couldn’t allow himself to love her.

“Ya don’t hate ‘er do ya?’ Snipes asked.

“No Snipes, Ise don’t hate ‘er.” Jack said.

“Good.”

“Why?” Jack asked.

‘Cause Ise don’t want ta be mean or anything but Ise don’t think you’se Laces type. Ya or Spot ya ta rough ta be ‘er boyfriend.” Snipes said. Jack laughed.

“Ise think ya should let ‘er make up ‘er own mind bout who’s ‘er type.” Jack said.

“But she’s sick, she can’t do anything by ‘erself. Ise got ta protect ‘er from guys like ya and Spot. Specially like Spot.” Snipes said with a determined air. Jack laughed again.

“Now Ise don’t know where ya got that idea but lemme tell ya something, Laces don’t like people make up ‘er mind for ‘er.” Jack said.

“Yeah but I can suggest.” Snipes said. Jack nodded and smiled at the small boys, Laces sure had a lot of people look out for her.

continue