A little fall of rain can hardly hurt me now...
All the characters in A little Fall of Rain , excepts those from the movie, Newises , are MINE. If you would like to use them, I don't mind, but please ASK! Also, all songs (Castle on a Cloud, A little Fall of Rain and On My Own) are from the musical Les Miserables. I take no credit for the wonders that they are, I leave that to Herbert Kretzmer, who wrote them, and am making NO money off them! If you would like to learn more about the musical Les Miserable, or want the lyrics to these and other songs from the musical, go here Thanks.

A young girl stared at the stars as the earth twirled and tumbled through the heavens. She laid back, resting her head in the cool, green grass, and closed her eyes as she wished on a shooting star. She opened her eyes again and breathed in the sweet summer scent. Her eyes scanned the sky till she found the stars she was looking for, the Gemini twins. Her eyes closed as memories flooded her mind.

A young girl and boy, only the age of six and eight, ran through the hills picking wildflowers. The girl stopped in front of one flower and marveled at the butterfly resting upon it. It was brilliantly splashed with vivid reds, oranges and yellows. She slowly extended her arm and the butterfly fluttered toward it and softly landed on the girl’s finger. She exhaled a sigh of contentment. The butterfly fluttered its wings, tickling the girl’s finger and she giggled softly. “Butterfly kisses.” the boy said standing behind her. She turned her head around to smile at him, and the butterfly took flight, she caught her breath as they watched it glide against a clear blue sky and off into the heavens. The young boy came up to her and took her hand. “Butterfly kisses.” She said and the boy leaned over and fluttered his eyelashes on her cheek. She giggled and ran off to find more flowers.

A solitary tear ran down the girls cheek from one of her blue eyes, eyes as blue as the deepest ocean that sparkled like the brightest star. At least they used to sparkle. Lately they had been cold and icy, but still just as blue. She cursed herself for the tear, and swore once she got into the city she would never cry again. She slowly got up, took one last look at the stars and walked towards the train station.

The girl sighed as she watched the forests of Connecticut rush by as the train drove on. She climbed in the bed and quickly fell asleep. She awoke suddenly in the early morning in a cold sweat. She breathed heavily as the last flashes of the fire left her mind. She lay back on her pillow and wiped her forehead. She got up silently and dug around in her bag till she found her dream catcher, she fastened it above her head and tried to fall asleep again.

Around seven, a knock came on her door. She opened the door to see a colored door hand. “The train’ll be dere in about thirty minutes, miss.” He said and turned to leave. She nodded and went back to getting ready. She stepped off the train as the colored help set down her two small bags. She smiled to him and gave him a nickle. He tipped his hat and got back on the train. She lifted her small bags and walked through the crowds of people. She saw a newsy and smiled, remembering when she lived here 12 years ago. She approached him, and he tipped his hat.

“Buy a pape, miss?” The boy asked. He was short, and Italian. She smiled, and handed him a penny. “Tank ya” he said grinning.

“Scuse me, you don’t know of and hotels in Manhattan, do yo?” She asked. He smiled.

“I knows of a few, but dye’s pretty expensive.” He said. She nodded.

“I don’t have much money.” She said softly.

“Well I guess you could stay at de Newsy Lodgin’ house, it’s pretty cheap. Ya could sell papes, I guess” He said thoughtfully. ‘Become a newsy?’ She thought, the thought at first disgusted her, she remembered her father’s teachings, then she realized there was nothing else she could do.

“Why not?” She told the boy, throwing caution to the wind. He smiled.

“Ok, we’ll go drop off your stuff and then you can meet de odders, at Tibby’s” He said, and they went off to the lodging house.

Jack looked up as Race ambled in the diner, accompanied by a young girl. “Heya Race.” He said as they spit shook. “Who’s da goil?” Blink looked up at the mention of a girl.

“She’s our newest newsy.” He said smiling.

“An’ her name?” Jack asked.

“Call me Stars.” She said taking on a newsy nickname.

“What’s youse real name? If ya don’t mind my askin.” Jack questioned.

“Cosette.” She said. Jack was washed with a twang of remembrance, but quickly erased it. He nodded and shook her hand.

“Welcome to da family, Stars.” He said grinning. Race and Stars sat down to order. Jack studied her. She looked somewhat familiar. She reminded him of someone. She had gorgeous blue eyes and blonde ringlets framed her face falling slightly below her chin. Her naturally tan, flawless skin was accented by slightly rosy cheeks, and high cheekbones. Her lips were full and pale pink and she had a defiant chin. Blink also studied her and, like always, felt himself falling fast.

“Come on Snickers, its time for bed!” Jack said, struggling with a young boy.

“But I ain’t tired!!!” The small boy, no more than 7, protested. Jack sighed.

“Mind if I try?” Stars asked. Jack looked up.

“Be my guest.” He said standing up and throwing up his hands in defeat. Stars walked over to the boy who was sitting on his bed sulking.

“How would you like me to sing a song, just for you?” She asked smiling. The boy nodded and lay down. She started to sing…

There is a castle on a cloud. I like to go there in my sleep

The room got deathly silent as she sang, her voice was angelic.

There aren’t any floors for me to sweep,
Not in my castle on a cloud.
There is a room that’s full of toys,
There are a hundred boys and girls
Nobody shouts or talks too loud,
Not in my castle on a cloud.

There is a lady all in white,
Holds me and sings a lullaby
She nice see and she’s soft to touch,
She says; Cosette, I love you very much

I know a place where no one’s lost
I know a place where no one cries,
Crying at all is not allowed.
Not in my castle on a cloud

She finished softly and the young boy was fast asleep. She smiled and tucked him in. She turned back to the boys who were all staring. “Where’d ya learn dat?” Mush asked.

“It’s from a play. Les Miserables.” Jack said softly. Everyone turned and looked at Jack in surprise, including Stars.

“That’s right. A musical.” She said, bewildered. “How did you know?” She asked.

“I don’t know, I just recognized it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it. Maybe Medda sang it once.” He shrugged and walked into the washroom. She followed him with her eyes. She shook her head and got ready for bed. Blink approached her.

“Youse got a beautiful voice.” He said shyly. She smiled. “Do youse know anymore?” He asked. She nodded.

“I know practically the entire play by heart. My mother was an actress in it.” She smiled sadly. “She used to sing me that song every night.”

“What appened?” He asked, as they sat down on the bottom bunk.

“She died. Both my parents were killed in Santa Fe.” She said.

“Youse from Santa Fe?” Blink asked.

“No, I’m from Connecticut. My parents were out in Santa Fe getting a ranch ready when outlaws killed them. I was living with my Aunt and told her that I was going down to Santa Fe to take care of some things but I came here instead. It was too painful to go there.” She took a deep breath. “Not only did my parents die there but it was my brother’s dream to live in Santa Fe, I promised him when we were very young saying I’d never go without him.”

“Where’s your brother now?” Blink asked.

“He died in a fire a long time ago.” She said softly.

“Oh I’m sorry Stars.” He paused. “That kinda sound like Jack, he always wanted to go to Santa Fe.” Blink said. She smiled sadly and got ready for bed.

Stars awoke with a start at the sound of a crash. She sat up quickly, her eyes adjusting to the dark. She made out a figure picking up a chair that had been knocked over. He looked up and made eye contact with her. He gasped, and she realized who it was. She slowly got down off her bunk and walked over. “Sorry I woke you.” Jack whispered.

“It’s alright. How come youse ain’t asleep?” Stars whispered back.

“I don’t sleep much anymore, I’ve been having really bad dreams lately.” He said softly. She smiled.

“I’ve got something that might help.” She said and went over to her bunk and unfastened the dream catcher from her bunk. “Here.” She said, handing Jack the dream catcher.

“What is it?” He asked.

“It’s a dream catcher. Indians believe that bad dreams are much larger than good dreams, so you hang this above your head, and the bad dreams get caught in the web of string and only the good dreams get through. An old indian used to work for my dad. He taught us all kinds of things.” She said as he examined the simple object. Just a stick bent into a circle, with a web of string in the middle, with beads woven through it, and a feather hanging from the bottom.

“What are the beads for?” He asked.

“A dream catcher works better if it represents the person it’s made for. They all have special meaning to me.” She said, then explained by pointing to each one. “ The blue is for me, my eyes. The green is for my mother; the black is for my father. The red is for Santa Fe, the yellow is for Connecticut, and the brown is for New York.”

“What about the one with all the colors?” He asked.

“That one’s for butterfly kisses.” She said softly. “And my brother.” Jack looked up sharply at the words butterfly kisses. A memory tried to surface but he shook it out of his head.

“Thanks.” He said sincerely. And they both went back to bed.

Stars was up most of the night, since she had given Jack her dream catcher, and decided she would make him one. She stayed out on the roof and watched the sunrise. She went back inside when she heard Kloppman trying to wake the boys up. The morning went as usual, Stars went to sell with Blink. At Tibby’s that night, she talked with Jack.

“Thank’s again,” He said as they sat with some of the boys and ordered. “I think your name should be Dreams, as in the good ones you gave me.” Stars smiled sweetly at him.

“Thanks, but I’ll stick with Stars.” He laughed. “What about you Jack? What’s your nickname?”

“Well, Ise got a couple. Cowboy, ons the account Ise going to Santa Fe someday, and well Jack.” He took a drink. “Me real names Francis Sullivan. But about a year ago I had to take the alias of Jack Kelly, ta keep the bulls off me back.” Stars looked up sharply at the name Jack Kelly.

“Where’d ya get the name Jack Kelly?” He shrugged.

“I don’t know. Just sounded good.” He paused. “Why?”

“It’s just, my last name is Kelly, and…never mind.” He looked at her strangely.

“Cosette Kelly, huh?” He said slowly, again the memory tried to surface and he shook his head as if he was trying to shake it out.

“Yep, Cosette Marie Kelly.” She smiled. And he smiled back. Blink sat down next to them and offered to walk Stars home. She gladly accepted, and they left.

They walked silently down the street, Blink nervous and shy, and Stars thinking. She looked over to him and saw he was trying to say something. “Spit it out Blink.” She said, and he looked at her and smiled. He was cute, she thought, but there was nothing there.

“Would, um, would you, uh, be me goil?” He asked shyly. Stars looked shocked. She hadn’t been expecting this.

“Blink, uhh…I mean you’re really a great guy, but I think of you as just a friend…” She started. He looked crestfallen. She took his hands. “I’m sorry, you’re a great friend, and any goil to get you is lucky, it just can’t be me. Sorry.” He smiled slightly. Over the next few weeks Blink and Stars became best friends. His devotion to her quickly died out as he met the love of his life during the next week. Jack was sleeping at night, thanks to Stars dream catcher. Stars was working hard on making another one so she could sleep. Although Jack was sleeping at night, his dreams were strange. He dreamt of starry skies, and butterflies. It seemed the memory was trying to surface, but he would just push it down. One day a few weeks after Stars had shown up in New York, he decided to take her to Brooklyn to meet Spot.

“Why are we going to Brooklyn again?” She whined. He smiled.

“To see Spot.”

“Why do I wanna meet Spot?” Stars whined. “From the way you guys talk about him, he sounds like a chauvinistic self-centered egotistical snob.” Jack stifled a laugh.

“He’s a great guy, really.” He said. She snorted and began to softly sing On My Own, from Les Miserables.

On my own
Pretending he’s beside me,
All alone…

Jack stopped and shut his eyes tightly, as memories flooded his mind. Stars stopped singing and looked at him, concerned. In his mind he saw a young boy and girl watching a woman sing. That song. She sang beautifully. The scene left as soon as it had came. “Jack, what’s wrong?” Cosette asked.

“I saw my mother.” He shook his head. “What am I talking about. My mother didn’t sing…” he looked confused.

“Jack what are you talking about?”

“I don’t know. I feel like I’ve forgotten something, really important. Lately, I’ve been having strange dreams, not dreams really, memories almost, only they don’t belong to me.” He paused. “We’re here.” He said as they arrived at the docks. Stars looked at him, concerned, then looked at the boys milling around on the docks.

“Well, if it ain’t Jack-be-nimble, Jack-be-quick.” A boy said, walking through the crowd. Jack smiled. The boy made his way over to them and he and Jack spit shook. Stars looked at him intensely. He was about 5’9”, and very thin. His eyes were stormy blues, and he had sandy blonde hair. He looked at her with his piercing eyes cutting through her. She drew in a breath.

“Stars, dis is Spot.” She almost choked, this was Spot Colon? The Spot Colon? She stifled a laugh. He looked at her harshly. As she tried to control her laughter, he studied her. Her brilliantly blue eyes and golden flax curls.

“An’ what are you laughing at.” She looked at him carefully. Although he was not what she expected, he did have a certain embiance about him. His eyes held power.

“It’s just, the way these guys talk about you, I was expecting someone more…” she paused trying to think of how to put it. Spot looked harshly at her. “…more…well more Goliath.” She finished bluntly. Spot shook his head and laughed.

“Sorry to disappoint you.” He said, smiling.

“Oh, no disappointment.” She said, smiling back. Jack laughed to himself and gave himself points for introducing Stars to Spot. Spot and Stars hit it off immediately, and she forgot what she said about him earlier. The three spent the day together, as the boys showed her the sights of New York. She had grown very close to Jack, and regarded him as a brother. He did in fact remind her of her brother. That night she and Spot spent most of the night on the roof of the Lodging House talking about their childhood and family. “Ya know whats weird?” She asked. He shook his head. “Jack, well I know his name isn’t his real name, but…” She hesitated.

“What?” Spot asked.

“It’s just my brother’s name is, was, Jack Francias Kelly. I guess it’s just quite a coincidence.” She said looking away. Spot took her hand.

“It is a little weird, but it is just a coincidence. I know you would love to have your brother show up, but he died. You’ve gotta accept that. Besides, Jack’s name is Francais Sullivan.” Spot said. He turned her face back towards him, her eyes held no emotion.

“I know, I know. It’s just odd, that’s all.” He nodded, and she leaned into him. He wrapped his arms around her, and kissed the top of her head.

The next day Stars decided to sell with Jack, since Spot went home in the morning. Around lunchtime they decided to eat in the park.

“So Stars, what’s your story? An’ where’d ya get da name?” He asked. She swallowed the chunk off apple.

“Well I grew up in Conneticut. With my mother, father and older brother. That is until the fire.” She paused, and Jack looked at her concerned. “My older brother’s name was Jack Francias Kelly. Quite a conicidence, huh? He died in a fire that ruined our home about 11 years ago. He would have been 19 on Dec. 20th.”

“That’s my birthday. I was 19.” Jack said. He looked at her strangely, the mention of a fire had sent a chill down his spine.

“After my brother died things were never the same. Finally my parents decided to move to Santa Fe. They were getting a ranch together when outlaws killed them. I told my Aunt, who I was staying with, that I was going take care of some odds and ends, but I couldn’t bear to go. See it was my brother’s dream to go to Santa Fe, and I promised I would never go without him. So I came here.” She finished.

“It was always my dream to go to Santa Fe, too. I don’t know why…So how come you know all of that play?” He asked.

“My mother was an actress in it when she was younger. In London. That’s where she met my father. She used to sing us, my brother and I, all the songs. She had an excellent voice.” She smiled wistfully. “I remember my brother and I would act out the scenes she told us about.” She laughed, remembering. “My name comes from when we would sit and watch the stars, he used to tell me about the constellations, my favorite one was the Gemini twins.” He smiled. She sighed. “So what about you Jack? What’s your story?” She asked.

“I don’t really remember much before I was nine. I got hit in the head by a horse and had amnesia. So I only really know what, me parents told me. I remember some things now and then, but I don’t think they’re real memories. They don’t make sense with what actually happened. Anyway, now my mums dead and my dad’s in jail. No siblings.” He said, matter-of-factly. She looked at him, concerned.

“Jack, what kind of memories do you have?” She asked. He looked up at her.

“Well, they really just started, they’re dreams actually. I used to have nightmares about a fire. But since you came I’ve had dreams of other things. Countryside, wild flowers, butterfly…” Stars cut him off.

“Kisses?” She asked. He looked up harshly.

“No…” He said shaking his head, and standing up. She stood up too.

“Jack, what’s a butterfly kiss?” She asked, urgently. He turned away. “Jack!” She said. He turned around slowly, took one look at her and ran. “Jack!” She cried after him.

She slowly made her way back to the lodging house, her mind spinning with memories.

“Your son is dead, Mrs. Kelly.”
“Jack’s dead…he died in the fire…”
“Do not fret Monsuier Maurice.
I don’t feel any pain…
A little fall of rain, can hardly hurt me now…”
A girl giggles, looking at her brother, trying to be serious…

He died. Dead. Dead. Still, Stars couldn’t help question it. No body was found…NO! He is dead. Jack is dead. She found herself in the bunkroom, fingering the dream catcher she had begun to make for Jack, and crying.

Jack stumbled around the city, blinded by memories. Memories of a young girl, and of a woman. A woman singing beautifully to the children as they got ready for bed.

“There is a castle on a cloud….”

The woman in his memories sounded a lot like Stars. Stars…that was another memory. He closed his eyes as a scene flashed before him. Two kids, lay on a grassy hill, watching the stars. The older, the boy, was talking about the constellations.

“And that’s the Gemini twins.” He said. His sister looked up at him with big round eyes.

Those eyes…they were so vivid. Bright blue, as deep as the ocean and as bright as the stars. Stars…the little girl in his memory looked like Stars. Big blue eyes, bouncy golden curls…tan skin, pale full lips the soft color of a rose. But how could he have memories of Star as a child? He was born in New York City to one Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan. His dad was in jail and his mom was dead. That was it, but still…

He made the decision to go visit his dad. He approached the jail cautiously; he hadn’t been to visit his dad in over eight years. In fact he had barely thought of him since the strike two years ago. He made his way inside and went to the desk where an old man was sitting. The man eyed Jack suspiciously. “Whatta ya want?” He growled.

“I’d like to visit Sullivan.” He said softly. The man eyed him.

“Name and Relation.” He said bluntly.

“Ja…Francais Sullivan. Son.” Jack said coldly. The old man got up and took him into a visitation room.

“Ya got one hour.” He said. Jack sat down at a table and drummed his fingers on the table, nervously. About five minutes later a guard walked in with a man in handcuffs. He sat the man down and left. Jack eyed his father while he lit a cigarette. He really looked nothing like him. His father wasn’t as tall as Jack, both he and his mother had been short. He had dark hair, almost black, and a small nose and wide face, his mother had, he remembered, had a small nose too, but a skinny, long face. His father looked at Jack.

“Finally decided to visit your old man, huh Frankie?” He asked. Jack began to speak, but he was interrupted. “Don’t worry Frankie, I probably wouldn’t visit me in here either.” He smiled. Jack took a deep breath.

“First of all, the names Jack. Jack Kelly.” His father looked up sharply at the name, but Jack didn’t notice. “I had some trouble and had to change it. I’m not really in trouble any more, but I haven’t been Francais Sullivan in a long time. I’m not here for small talk, or to see how you are. I hate you, you stopped being my father when mom died.” His father nodded, obviously wounded.

“Then why are you here?” He asked. Jack looked uncomfortable all of a sudden.

“I met someone a couple months ago, names Cosette Marie Kelly.” He watched his father for some sort of reaction, and he got one.

“Cosette. Marie. Kelly.” He said slowly, as if each word caused him pain to say. Then, “Whatever she told you, isn’t true.” . Jack sighed, and looked very lost. He stared at his father.

“How could you lie to me?” He asked. His father sighed.

“They told us they were dead.” Jack looked confused.

“What?” He asked. His father leaned in and placed his hands on the table.

“What did she tell you?” Jack started to talk. “No, wait. I want you to hear my side. The whole story.” He took a deep breath. “When your mom and I got married, we found out she couldn’t have children. We both wanted one so we decided to adopt. We went to an orphanage, there we found the perfect child. He was eight, and had lost his family in a fire. Or so they told us. They said he had just walked in saying his family was dead. He was very sick and for the next two weeks he was in and out of consciousness. When he awoke he remembered nothing. Not even who he was. The doctor diagnosed a severe case of amnesia. He said he would only remember his past if he were introduced to his old life. We decided that it would be easier to give him a new past. So we told him that we were his father and mother and he was ours from birth. Since we knew nothing of his past, we didn’t want to hurt him, to hurt you.” He took a breath, and Jack looked ready to explode. “He never remembered. Until now. I swear Frankie, we thought they were dead. We thought it was best.” Jack looked at him. A million thoughts ran through his head. He was adopted, Stars was his sister. He looked at his father and passed out. He awoke to his father, no to this man who lied to him his whole life, lightly shaking him. Jack stood up. Memories flooding back. He remembered the fire, the orphanage. His old life came flooding back.

“My name is Jack.” He said harshly, then “How could you. You bastard.” His father looked at him, and sighed. “You lied to me. My whole life was a lie. Who am I? Really?” He demanded.

“Jack Francais Kelly. Son of Grace Elizabeth Kelly and Francais Kelly, older brother of Cosette Marie Kelly. You were born December 20th, 1882 in Connecticut.” He said softly. Jack looked at him harshly.

“I nevah want to see you again. You are no longah me faddah. I hope you rot in hell.” He said, disgusted and walked out. His father sat down, put his head in hands and cried.

“I’m so sorry Frankie, so sorry.” He said softly.

Jack made his way back to the lodging house. As he entered the building thunder crashed and it began to rain. He entered the bunkroom and his eyes swept the room until they fell on Stars. She looked up at him; his eyes were cold and angry. She gasped as he walked over to her. She mistook his anger for his father as him being angry with her, and jumped off the bunk. “Jack…”

“Don’t call me that.” He growled. Her eyes darted around the room frantically, the silence chilling her soul. She looked at him, confused. His hand raised, as if to strike her, but she darted around him and ran out the door before he could say a word. His hand finished its journey by sweeping through his hair. He turned and looked after her, collecting his thoughts before running after her.

Cosette ran out of the bunkroom and down the stairs as fast as she could. She threw open the door and darted out into the rain. She ran towards the bridge, tears streaming down her face, blinding her. She finally reached the bridge and ran up to the railing, clutching it leaning over, breathing heavily. She looked up into the sky, as the rain mixed with her tears and ran down her face. Her golden curls were sopping and matted against her head and face. Her blue eyes were stormy and filled with tears, her pale lips quivered, and silently screamed. She turned quickly as she heard a voice.

*********

Jack ran out into the rain after Cosette, after looking up and down the street he took off towards the bridge. His mind swarmed with memories and thoughts. He arrived at the bridge and noticed her. He approached and called out her name.

“Cosette!” Stars looked at Jack, shivering with fear. He approached her and she backed away. “Cosette,” he said softly. She looked through the rain and into his eyes, they reminded her so much of her father. She began to cry again, even harder. He took her in his arms and tried to calm her. “Oh, Cosette…” he said, and pulled away a little. She looked up at him, and he leaned over and whispered in her ear. “Butterfly kisses.” Her eyes grew big as he fluttered his eyelashes on her cheek. She pulled away, and her hand flew up to her mouth.

“Jack?” She whispered. He nodded, and the tears began to fall again, from both their eyes. He pulled her into another hug.

“C’mon. Let’s get out of the rain.” He said. She pulled away, looked at him with adorning eyes, and began to sing.

Do not fret, Monsieur Jack.

She began, smiling at the change in names.

I don’t fell any pain.
A little fall of rain,
Could hardly hurt me now…
You’re here, that’s all I need know.
And you will keep me safe,
And you will keep me close
And rain will make the flowers grow.



Back to the Les Mes series
Back to da Library
Back to da Lodgin' House
Tell me what ya think!