<four>

<saying.goodbye>

A week had passed since Lucy's death and now everybody was at her funeral.

Heather sat next to Ben on the old wooden pew in the church, watching people walking in as she waited for the service to start.

A lot of people had turned up to the funeral. Lucy's family were sitting at the front, along with Nick who was holding Bryan in his arms. Lucy's parents were holding Summer, who still didn't realise her mum had gone forever.

Many of Lucy's friends were in attendance. Heather was there with Ben, Helen was with Paul, Christian with Naomi, Sarah with Mark... a1 were going to be singing at the service, along with Westlife, who were there too since Lucy had been good friends with Mark.

Tasha sat with Sam and Linda near the back. "I still can't believe she's gone," Tasha said with a long face. "She was so young, she was only 26,".

"I know, it's so sad," Sam nodded.

The girls stopped talking when the church doors opened and four men came in carrying a wooden coffin. Organ music started up and the vicar appeared at the alter.

The service began and the vicar talked about Lucy's life. "And now a few words from Lucy's husband Nick," he said, stepping aside.

Nick stood up and walked to the alter. He looked out at the rows of people dressed in black and tried not to cry. "It's a terrible tragedy, having Lucy taken from us so young. She was the most special person in my life. And she was special to a lot of people here too, as a daughter..." he looked at Lucy's parents. "...A mother..." he looked over at Summer, who looked back at him with her big sad eyes. "...A sister..." he glanced at Lucy's brother Paul. "...And a friend,".

Ben got a tissue out of his pocket and wiped his eyes, it was all so sad. Heather took his hand and gave him a weak smile.

After Nick's speech, the coffin was carried outside to the graveyard. It was still raining and the sky was cloudy. Everybody gathered on the grass by a deep hole which had been dug.

"Now we have some friends of Lucy's to sing a couple of her favourite songs," the vicar announced, stepping back to allow Ben, Mark, Christian and Paul to stand in front of everyone.

Mark started the song off. "You used to say that everyday, we will always be this way, flying angels lifting high. To reach the sun where I belong, girl you know you were the one, above the clouds I see you cry...".

Christian took over. "...You know that when you smile you stop the rain...".

As he sung that line, the sun came out from behind a cloud and the rain gradually came to a stop.

Ben noticed this and smiled. It was almost as if Lucy was there with them, showing them she was watching.

"Although I'm gone, remember me, please be strong, I'll never leave," Paul sang as they neared the end of the song.

"Just hold on, to the memories. Cuz while I'm here all I'm thinking about is tomorrow," Ben continued.

Mark finished the song. "Cuz while I'm here, all I'm thinking about is tomorrow,".

Everyone clapped, the performance had been amazing. "Lucy would have loved that," Heather told Ben as he rejoined her and the members of Westlife started to sing another of Lucy's favourite songs, 'Seasons In The Sun'.

After the song had ended, the vicar stepped forwards again. "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust...". The coffin was lowered into the ground and he threw handfuls of earth over it.

Nick turned away, it was all too much for him. "Mummy," Bryan said quietly, he didn't understand what was happening.

The service was over so everybody went to Nick's house, which was a five minute drive away. "I think Nick will move," Paul said to Helen as they parked outside and walked into the house. "It must bring back memories of when she died here,".

Helen nodded. "Yeah, I suppose so,".

Inside, a buffet lunch was laid out. People stood around eating and talking, the mood was very sombre.

The kids were all at the house now, since most of them had been a bit young to attend the service. "Mum, can we go home?" Jamie said to Helen. "Kris keeps winding me up, I'm sick of him!".

Helen looked at Kris. "What have you been saying to your brother?".

"Nothing mum, honest!" Kris exclaimed. He saw Nicole and gave her a smile. "Come, let's go and play,".

"I want to play with Nicole," Jamie whispered sadly as his brother disappeared with Nicole.

Helen looked at him. "Why don't you then?".

"She's playing with Kris," he sighed.

Helen took his hand and gave him a reassuring smile. "Come with me,". She led him out to the conservatory where Kris and Nicole were mucking around. "Let Jamie play with you two," she said.

"No, go away Jamie," Kris said, scowling.

"Don't talk to your brother like that!" Helen shouted. "Come with me,". She dragged Kris away and left Jamie alone with Nicole.

In the lounge, Heather and Ben were sitting on the sofa eating sandwiches. "I feel so sorry for Nick," Ben said. "He must be so upset over everything,".

"I know, losing Lucy and now about to lose Summer," Heather replied.

Ben turned to her, puzzled. "Lose Summer?".

Heather nodded. "Yeah, well as your her father then you're going to get custody,".

Ben shook his head. "I'd love to have her, but Nick was Lucy's husband, surely that means she'd stay with him...".

"No, you're her father, you're more entitled to have her. We'll probably have to go to court about it," Heather told him.

"Hmmm, you think so?" Ben said, thinking it over. He hadn't really thought about custody yet.

"We'll have to talk to Nick about it, he might not want to keep Summer anyway," Heather continued. "I don't know if he'll cope with her and Bryan. If he does want her, then we'll have to take it to court,".

"But I'd feel awful," Ben said, feeling sorry for Nick.

"Yeah, we'll leave it a little while until he's got over her death a bit," Heather said. "If we have Summer he can still visit her sometimes,".

"Yeah," Ben nodded. "I'd love to have Summer, she's a lovely girl and Nicole would have a sister...".

Just as he said that Summer came into the room crying. "Daddy!" she exclaimed, rushing into Nick's arms. "Nicole pinched me, she's horrible,".

Ben and Heather exchanged looks. "Nicole, naughty!" Ben shouted as Nicole walked sheepishly into the room, Jamie following her shyly.

Helen walked to the door, Paul behind her. "I'm sorry I'm leaving so early but I've got to get to work," she said, kissing Paul goodbye. "Will you be OK getting the twins home?".

Paul nodded. "Yeah, I'll be fine. have a safe flight, see you tomorrow night. I'll miss you!".

Helen set off towards the airport. She was looking forwards to the flight, since she would see Stuart again...

She smiled as she boarded the plane and saw him. "Hi, how was your day?" he asked her.

"Oh, it was OK. I went to my friend's funeral...".

"Oh, I'm sorry," Stuart said sadly.

Helen nodded. "How long is today's flight?".

"It's a long one," he told her. "We're taking an overnight stop in New York, we'll be staying in a hotel,".

"Oh right,".

"I hope you don't mind, but the two of us will have to share a room,".

Helen's face lit up. "Oh I don't mind. I don't mind at all...".

>>>>>

<back.to.story.index>