Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter 2
Homecoming

Washington D.C.
Congresswoman Mina Aino (D-California) stretched as she shut her satchel and prepared to walk out of the House chamber. Around her, other representatives were packing their stuff to head home or where ever they went after the day was recessed. With a heavy sigh, she strode down the isle, onto the floor, and hung a left toward the chamber exit. Representative Ian Caldwell joined her as she left.
“Can’t believe they got that through today.” Caldwell was shaking his head. He was speaking of HB-803, a banking bill that the Republicans had trying to get out of committee for the past two months. Not much noise had been made over it because the public wouldn’t like it very much. The Democrats had hoped it would just die in chambers. They’d miscalculated.
“That’s okay.” Mina shrugged, “President Shepherd won’t sign it anyway.” “You’d know better than any of us.” Caldwell agreed. Mina and the president where on good terms. He had been a professor to her in college before running and winning the presidency. He had prompted her to become a lawyer and she did so. Afterwards, he had supported her in her campaign for representative. The support had helped, as she beat an incumbent Republican for the seat.
“God knows we can’t beat it in the House.” Caldwell shook his head, “Not unless we make it public and that will be nasty.”
“And since turnabout is fair play...” the freshman congresswoman shrugged. “Exactly.”
Soon, the two were in the tunnel running between the capitol and the House of Representatives office building. No sooner had Mina made it to her floor than her secretary came up to her.
“Ms. Aino, there’s a call for you on line six. They’re on hold.” “Thanks Sandra,“ Mina nodded, “I’ll take it in my office.” she went into the small room overlooking the Mall and tapped the button on her speaker phone. “This is Mina Aino.”
“Mina, hey!” a familiar voice bubbled through the speaker. Instantly, the blonde picked up the receiver.
“Serena, how are you?”
“I’m doing just fine. I got a new book out. You?”
“I saw.” Mina smiled, “Swear I’m gonna by it when I don’t have any briefs to read, but otherwise I’m doing fine.”
“They keeping you busy?”
“Like shit! The GOP got us on 803 today.”
“Ouch.”
“Yeah.” Mina unnecessarily nodded, “So what’s up?”
“Well, a little bird tells me the Stennis is hitting port next weekend. If you’re not busy, we could all go see Amy. She’s got leave coming up.”
“I need some time off. I think I will come.”
“Great!”


Next week...

They were an interesting set: a writer, an actress, a cook, an a congresswoman as they rode along in Serena’s Range Rover to Miramar NAS to await Amy’s arrival.
Of all of them, Mina was the only one who didn’t remain near LA. Serena had married Darien and was now a successful journalist who did writing on the side. Rei had made it big acting and just recently had a new movie out. Lita had opened a restaurant on Sunset Boulevard which was rated five star. And Mina had got herself elected to congress. Still, they had managed to stay best friends.
“I’m telling you, it was the scariest experience of my life.” Rei went on about some set disaster in a previous movie.
“That’s what happens when you do your own stunts.” Serena chided. “I know, but still,” Rei threw her hands up, “being ejected from a speedboat’s pretty scary.”
“Lucky we used to be Sailor Scouts and are used to that sort of thing.” Lita noted.
“Speaking of which,” the raven-haired actress looked over at Serena, “When are you and I going to get together and write the screenplay for a Sailor Scout movie?”
“Actually, I was hoping we could all have some input on it.” the author shrugged. “So we’d all have to get together. I know that’s not a problem with you, me, and Lita, but Amy and Mina can’t just head off at the drop of a hat.”
“Who you gonna get to play me?” Mina asked. Serena and Rei shrugged simultaneously. A moment later, they were turning into the NAS gates. The MPs stopped the car and Serena rolled down her window for the usual line of question.
“Yeah, we’re here to see Lieutenant Amy Anderson. Her wing is coming in this afternoon.” After checking his list, the MP waved her through. The SUV rolled along to the parking lot.
Aircraft carriers never come to port with their wings aboard. Instead, the entire air group is offloaded several miles from shore to land at a nearby naval air station or airforce base. In this case, that place was Miramar in San Diego. The local Navy base was Johnny Reb’s home port.
The four Scouts piled from the Range Rover and began following the trickle of people here to greet loved ones. They soon found themselves standing around the tarmac looking out over the runways.
“How will we know it’s her?” Rei asked.
Lita looked at a list she had borrowed from someone. “Well, she said look for a chess knight on the tail. Her plane is number 106. That will be in grey on the nose.”
“Looks like her squadron is one of the last to come in.” Serena said, looking over Lita’s arm. “Pukin’ Dogs, Tomcatters, Wildcats, Roadrunners, and the Gauntlets all come in before her group.”
“Look!” Mina pointed, “There’s the first one now.” and the four friends watched a Tomcat with a blue vomiting griffin on the tail roll in for final approach. It landed smoothly and wasted not time taxiing to its designated place on the tarmac. As the pilot and RIO climbed out, two women and one six-year old boy ran out to greet them.

The tarmac was mostly empty when the first Gunslinger bird set down. Not long afterward, number 106 made an appearance and glided down to touch the runway with a graceful squeal of the tires. The airbrake slid up Amy Anderson’s Hornet came to a stop next to the appropriate taxiway.
“That’s her.” Serena jolted from the now waning crowd and scampered across the concrete just as Amy was coming down from her cockpit. “Amy!”
“Serena?!” the blue-haired aviator was surprised as the blonde pounced and hugged her friend. “Guys, oh my God.” and she exchanged embraces with her friends. “How have you guys been? I haven’t heard from any of you since I left port seven months ago.”
“I know, but we can’t hold you entirely responsible for that.” Rei said.
“This is a nice ride you’ve got here.” Lita said, rubbing her hands across the side of the fighter. Amy nodded and smiled, seeing the jealousy in her brunette friend’s eyes.
“Okay, so, now what?” Rei asked.
“Well,” Amy shrugged, “there’s a C-2 Greyhound bringing our bags and stuff, so we gotta wait. But while we’re at it, I can introduce you to some of my squadronmates.”
“Hey, maybe someone will recognize Rei!” Serena giggled.
“Funny.” the Japanese woman glared.
“Well it’s not my fault fans aren’t swarming around you.”
“Shut up!”

“It sure is empty here.” Rei said, looking around the apartment Amy was renting. She was referring less to the amount of material things that to the loneliness the apartment conveyed. There was a layer of dust over each piece of furniture, making them seem unused. The place was lit only by the sunlight peeking in through the blinds.
“Is there enough space for us all?” Serena asked.
“Yeah.” Amy nodded. “Someone can stay in my room with me, two can stay in the small guest room, and someone can sleep here on the futon.” At the mention of the futon, three sets of eyes immediately went to Lita.
“What?” the brunette looked at them innocently. Upon realizing what they were staring at her about, she smirked. “Homophobes.”
“And I’m not staying with Serena, either.” Rei stated rather jokingly. This earned a swat from the meatball-head.
“Oh, come on you guys,” Amy shook her head as she booted up her computer, “Be nice to eachother for once. After all, it has been nearly a year since we were all able to get together.”
“Yeah.” Mina agreed, “It’s time you and Serena start getting along.” “So says the politician.” Serena and Rei giggled in unison.
“You voted for me.” Mina smiled, knowing that they both had cast their ballots in her favor.
“What’s that?” Lita asked as Amy inserted the first of two black tapes into her VCR. Without word, the aviator turned on the TV and hit play. The five friends were rewarded with the picture of an F/A-18 gliding to a rough landing on the Stennis’s deck. Along the bottom of the screen there were a number of measurements such as feet per second and knots. After the jet stopped, small number popped up in the upper left corner. In this case, that number was a three. A moment later, the picture was replaced by graph showing the descent of the aircraft.
“Ooh,” Amy mumbled to herself, taking notes, “384 fett per second. That’s why I only got a ‘fair’ on that one.”
“Amy, what is this?” Lita asked again.
“Hmm?” the blue-haired woman looked up, “Oh, it’s a recording of all my traps on this cruise. I get to see what I did wrong or right on each one. I thought you guys might like to watch.” The next time, the Hornet came down clean and a five popped onto the screen. “Oh!” Amy turned, “I almost forgot. Take a look at this.” She double-clicked on an icon on the computer screen. A moment later, a picture of blue sky and white clouds with a Heads-Up Display superimposed was projected onto the computer screen. Amy clicked the play option and the Scouts watched as a diamond formed in a box on the HUD accompanied by a blaring tone. “Fox three,” they heard Amy’s voice say and a white streak sailed in at a small black dot in the middle of the box. A moment later the white trail touched the dot and a firey orange puff enveloped the speck. “Splash two Fantan.” The horizon twisted vertical and then began to pour down the screen just before the video shut off. “Well?” Amy asked, proud.
“What was that?” Serena was wide-eyed.
“That was the final moments of a Chinese Q-5 ‘Fantan,’ brought down by yours truely.” was the response.
“You shot someone down?” Rei asked in disbelief.
“Way to go, Amy!” Mina cheered.
Rei’s eyebrows drew close. “He ejected didn’t he?”
“Um,” the naval officer’s face went bleak, “No, he didn’t. He didn’t have a chance to.”
“You killed a guy?” the actress said angrily.
“Well...yeah, I guess I did.” An embaressed smile crept across Amy’s face. Rei turned away and quickly went to make a choice of bedrooms. Amy followed, “Rei, he was going to try to blow up my boat.” She didn’t listen, only kept walking, leaving Amy to stand there, vexxed.
“It’s okay, Ams.” Serena said, “She’ll get over it.”
“Not that I’m too worried.” Amy shrugged, picking up her note pad to watch her tapes, cool as ice again.

“What was up with you?” Mina asked Rei as the two slept back to back that night. The actress had managed to get her way about not sleeping with Serena, though she had only been joking about it. She had been quiet when they five of them went for dinner, and had not spoken so much as a word to Amy after the outburst.
“I don’t want to talk about it.” she replied to the congresswoman’s question.
“I’m supposed to accept that after you blew up at one of my best friends.”
“She’s my freind, too!”
“Not that you’re giving any clues.” Mina smirked.
“If you must know,” Rei said, turning on her back, “It disturbs me that Amy could brag about taking a life.”
“A kill is a kill.” Mina shrugged.
“But she was almost cocky about it.” Rei pointed out, “She acted like it was no big deal.”
“Rei, Amy works in a very dangerous field.” the blonde argued, “It’s war.
She’s a warrior. Warriors have to kill people.”
“But does she have to be proud of it?”
“Shooting down another aircraft is a very rare thing, Rei.” Mina answered, “Even a single air-to-air victory is something to be celebrated.”
“You’re right.” Rei finally admitted, “I guess I shoulda been patting her on the back for that.”
“That’s not all that’s bugging you, is it?” Mina asked, point blank.
Rei was taken aback, and it took her a second to answer. “Well, um... no, it’s not.”
“Well?” Mina rolled over to face her.
“It’s just that she’s...” Rei tried to explain, “she’s not the Amy I used to know.”
“What do you mean?”
“She’s so... I don’t know.” Rei shrugged, “She just seems so cocky and wild. She’s no longer the same quiet, contemplative Amy she used to be. She gloats about stuff now. She never used to gloat. I swear, she hasn’t been the same since rescuing that downed pilot.”
Mina considered this, then smirked. “Well, we’ve all changed quite a bit. We’re all older now and more mature. Lita’s not so boycrazy...”
“Yeah, girlcrazy is more like it.” Rei snorted.
“Serena’s not so ditzy anymore.” Mina continued, ignoring Rei’s comment, “Neither am I, for that matter. You’re a lot less mystical than you used to be. Serena says you don’t meditate as often as you used to. Amy’s just reacting to what she’s been exposed to, I guess.” Rei rolled back on her side and shut her eyes. “I’ll talk to her in the morning.”

Rei found Amy on the beach her apartment complex overlooked. She was standing there in bathing suit and khakis, watching something through her binoculars. Rei could barely make out the grey dash on the horizon that must have been Amy’s point of interest. As if to answer her question about what it was, a pair of A-6 Intruders recently taken off from Miramar streaked overhead. Rei watched them until they were a pair of specks in the distance before approching her friend.
“Whutcha looking at?” she asked.
Amy handed her the binoculars and Rei turned them on the distant carrier. “USS Ronald Reagan is putting to sea today.” the pilot answered, “CVN-76, most advanced carrier in the fleet. She was just launched four years ago.” “Wow.” Rei said in mock interest. She could now see the pair of Intruders approaching. “Hey, I wanted to appologize for last night. I said some really way harsh things to you. I didn’t mean it.”
“Oh, I knew that.” Amy smiled, taking back the binoculars to give the carrier a last glance, “A lot of people get upset when we tell them that the guy we shot down is dead. A lot of folks assume that a pilot can always eject from his aircraft. In many cases, he has the chance to do so, but there are some when he does not. It’s just dangerous work, Rei. Perhaps even more dangerous than being a groundpounder or in a tank.
“Rei, I am the front line in a war. I’m one of the first ones in.” For the first time, the pilot looked at her friend, “The first question our president asks when a problem arises is ‘where’s the closest carrier?’ It’s war, Rei. In war, people get killed.”
The actress was taken aback. “What’s happened to you?”
“You wouldn’t understand.” Amy shook her head, “Not unless you’ve experienced it first hand.” Rei left it at that. Later that day, she completely forgot the incedent as the friends went out to have fun.

Los Angeles, a week later...

“So?” Luna asked as Serena came with her bags, “How was she?”
“Amy?” Serena smiled at the black cat, “Our Amy is doing wonderful. I think the Navy is good for her.”
“I still think she should have stayed on course to be a doctor.”
“Why?”
“That’s what she wanted to be in the first place. She had been working so hard on it. Now she’s tear-assing around like there’s no tomorrow. I half expected her to be tired of this pilot crap by now.”
“No.” Serena corrected, “It’s not what she wanted! It’s what her mother wanted for her. She kept saying she’d be a doctor so that her mother wouldn’t be dissapointed in her and think she’d turn out like her father.”
“That man is a kook.” Luna nodded, “But still, she should have listened...” “No, Luna, she should have done as she pleased. Amy was miserable preparing herself for med school anyway. You could see it in her eyes. She was breaking under the stress.”
“Oh, right, like six-months-in-six-months-out is any better for her.” Luna rolled her red eyes, “I’m sure she’s just like every other sailor, a sex toy in every port. Why doesn’t she see Greg anymore anyway?”
“Because he’s doing SatInt for CIA.”
“What?” Luna had no idea what she meant.
“It means Satelite Intelligence,” a male voice said, “Or satelite photo interpretation.” Darien smiled at his wife as he strode into the livingroom. “How was Amy.”
“Like a wild mare.” Serena shrugged, “She’s itching to be back out to sea again.”
“Well, you know Amy,” the man smiled, “Always dedicated to her work.”
“Speaking of which,” Serena smiled, “Don’t we have work to do on a little project?” She leaned in and kissed him.
“What ‘little project’ would that be?” Darien smiled innocently. Serena kissed him again before grabbing his hands an leading him away.
“I don’t appreciate having to sleep on the couch!” Luna called after them, but it was no use.


Miramar NAS...

“He’s at your ten o’clock, two-three miles.”
“Roger, Spyglass.” Mercury said, switching her radar mode to Beyond Visual Range, “Contact Fulcrums, two ship formation.” she thumbed a switch on her throttle control and the eight AIM-120C AMRAAM missiles armed themselves.
“Locked up. Dodger, I got the leader, you take his wingman.”
“Roger that.”
The two pilots called out “fox three” simultaneously. After a moment, Mercury reported “splash one fulcrum.”
“Splash two fulcrum.” came her wingman’s report. As the two pilots vectored in on their next waypoint, there was a beeping noise coming through Mercury’s system.
“Dodger, you getting that?”
“Yeah, we’re locked up, and...” The beeping became more insistant, “Adder inbound, dropping chaff!” The two Hornets broke hard, brakes out and afterburners on. The air sparkled behind them as thousands of tiny shards of metal were flung into their wake. With the sudden break turn, the G-meter on Amy’s HUD shot up to 6.8 and her vision blurred for a moment. The beeping stopped and she rolled starboard, standing on the rudder pedal just in case.
“Gunsliger 115, report.” Nothing, “Gunslinger 115, come in, please.” Still nothing. “Spyglass, where the hell did those shots come from?”
“Two Flankers at your nine o’clock, angels eight-point-five. They must have been hugging the terrain. We didn’t see them.”
“Roger, rolling in now.” she got a lock on the lead Su-27 and fired. The missile scored and she turnd her attention to the second, which was just now lighting her up again for another shot. Once again, the insistant beeping came to her ears. “This is Gunslinger 106, I’m engaged defensive Adder!” She broke hard, jamming the throttle forward and spilling chaff behind her. As her vision began to fade, there was a bright flash. Amy let up on the stick. She’d been had.
“Gunslinger 106, Spyglass. You are down. Exercise is over. Return to base.” “Roger, RTB.” she replied, forming up with the two “Flankers,” a pair of F/A-18s painted to simulate the top aircraft of the Russian Air Force. She sighed heavily to herself. Red Team had beat them again.

“Oh, come on, Amy,” Dutch said, trying to get her to relax, “Your where up there 2-1 against more experienced pilots. So you lost, no biggie. You ain’t supposed to win all the time.”
“Ain’t ain’t a word.” she chided, “It ain’t in the dictionary, so you ain’t gonna use it. But it still bugs me that I lost my wingman. I mean, I’m just not an effective flight leader.”
“Sure you are, Merc.” Robinson patted her on the back, “You’re a smart cookie. You just need practice.”
“This from a guy who can do advanced trig faster than he can get an erection?” Amy looked over her shoulder, smiling. “Oh well, I’ll just try again tomorrow.”

CIA Headquarters
Langley, Virginia
Two months later...

Greg Masters bent over the table, pulling his magnifying glass down. The pictures had just come in from an SQ-12 satalite after a pass over the Kuril Islands. The main concerns were the islands of Shinshiri and Urup. Not more than four months ago, Japan and Russian had gotten physical about these two in particular. Russian had decided to pull back just last week, but several divisions of troops had refused to leave. The satelite photos might give a clue as to why.
Running his hands through his brown hair, Greg moved the magnifying glass a few inches and squinted. Nothing. He tossed the photo aside and put another one underneath.
This one was of the Russian airbase at Malka on Shinshiri. Last he had known, it was still under Russian control. On the tarmac, he could see the rows of MiG-29s and Su-27s that respecitvely made up squadrons 300 and 500 of the Russian 7th Red Banner Air Force. Aside from revealing part of the Russian rebels’ air arm, the photo was useless.
He slid yet another photograph underneath the magnifying glass. As he peered at it, he saw a strange pattern. There were eight black circles or disks arranged in two rows. Each disk was surrounded by a cleared area away from which a dirt path led. These convirged into one larger road that led down the mountain away from the sight. On this road, there was a series of rectangular blots that looked like ants.
“Wait.” he said to himself, “Those aren’t little dirt paths. Those are roads, and the rectangles are trucks.” He shot up in revalation. For a breif moment, he was in panic. What to do, what to do? Phone, got to get to a phone!
He snatched the reciever of the STU-6 Secure Telephone Unit off the wall. “Okay, cool, Greg, cool.” he crossed his fingers and chanted, “India, Pakistan, North Korea, China,” then let his breath out. He had been calm when he’d discovered a similar attribute to each of the countries he had just listed. This was just intel, he reminded himself. When he was calm, he dialed the four digit code to the Office of the Intelligence Directorate.
“Yeah, I need to get a hold of the DDI.” Greg said calmly, though he was sweating, “Yes, tell him it’s urgent.”