Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter 4
Operation: Eagle Watch



Near the Kuril Islands
0630 hours...

“Good Morning, everyone,” Captain Richard Muldoon told the eighty-two pilots in the breifing room, “and welcome to the Kuril islands. As you know, we’re here to diffuse a very volatile situation. Several divisions of Russian Army, Air Force, and Naval units have refused to observe the Russian pull-back from the island of Urup and Shinshiri, which are officially reckognized as Japanese territory. These rebels have control of the 7th Red Banner Air Force, two armored divisions, and a small section of the Russian Pacific Fleet. They operate two Akula class submarines, one of which sank the USS Ronald Reagan, a Kiev-class CVA task force, and numerous Pomornik landing craft and Sarancha missile boats. It is the Saranchas and Akulas we must keep watch for.
“However, there exists an even greater problem. Some of you may have noticed we are carrying B-61 tactical nuclear bombs on board. The rebels control at least eight SS-18 ICBMs. These missiles would allow them to annahilate American and Japanese cities and comunications capability if they saw fit. Intelligence reports that they are in the process of cracking the launch codes as we speak.
“Also, many of you have noticed, and complained about, the presence of that young woman back there. Mrs. Hendrix, would you please stand.” Serena stood, feeling all eighty-two sets of eyes gaze at her. Many of them were with hatred, others with disdain, and a few with curiosity. “This is Serena Hendrix. She is a journalist here on assignment with the LA Times. You will give her your full cooperation unless it interferes with your duty, is that understood?” At the round of “yes, sirs,” the CAG nodded. “Good then, Operation: Eagle Watch begins now.”

Super Hornet 106

The Lockheed S-3B Viking was an ugly airplane. The jet was absurdly round and was tall enough that the fifty-three foot fuselage seemed to short. The nose was blunt with large cockpit windows. The wings were shoulder-mounted and the engines looked more like those of a jet liner than a military aircraft.
It was an airborne excercise in squeezing a quart into a pint-sized container. The fuselage was jammed with anti-sibmarine warfare including a Forward-Looking Infra-Red, retractable Magnetic Anomaly Detector, and a submersible sonar probe that could be dipped into the water and retracted back into the fuselage by a cable. It held a crew of four.
There was a detatchment of six on board the USS John C. Stennis from VS-24. Right now two of them were aloft, searching the depths for any sign of the enemy subs. However, all they detected was the hunter/killer USS Pasadena, a Los Angeles (688i) class submarine sent to protect the task force.
Flying aside them were a pair of F/A-18Es in the livery of VFA-105. Dutch and Mercury were in these aircraft.
“I hate SubCAPs.” Amy complained in her silvery voice. Not every pilot enjoyed flying low and slow, protecting the ASW planes. Indeed, it was trained into naval aviators that flying in such a way was dangerous. Below five-thousand feet was unfriendly even to a zero-zero ejection seat if something went wrong. The waves shimmered bright and beautiful in the morning sunlight, seeming to laugh at Mercury about her fears.
“You feeling claustrophobic, too, huh?” Robinson asked her. She could hear the smile in his voice, and cursed him for being a veteran pilot.
“Yeah, well, I wasn’t in the fucking Gulf War, and all the tiffs in the Balkans.” she shot back, “I’m not a hot shot like you. You been at this shit for fifteen years, I haven’t.”
“Whoa, cool it, Mercury.” Dutch said after a good laugh, “You’re so defensive.”
“Yeah, well, every twenty-eight days...” She growled. She was lying, of course, but she had to have some defense. Didn’t she? “God, I gotta pee.”
“Thank you, Lieutenant Anderson!” Dutch chided. “I’m sure the boys back at ACC would love to know that!”
“Shut up, Dutch.” Amy grumbled as she pulled what was called a “piddle pack” from under the seat. This was, more or less, a urine collection system that used the same powder found in a diaper to congeal the urine. Amy being female, she selected the proper attachment and unzipped first her G-suit then her flightsuit down to the appropriate place. She then placed the attachment where it belonged and relieved herself.
As she did so, she was reminded of a funny story. During a training mission, some “chairforce” puke had to take a piss while aloft in his F-16. He pulled out his piddle pack and was in the process of urinating when his flight computer decided to crash. The F-16 is a fly-by-wire aircraft that uses computers to analyze and respond to stick movement instead of hydraulic lines. Such a crash gave the pilot no control over the fighter, and so he was forced to eject, piddle pack still firmly in place.
Amy stuffed the bag, now partially filled with yellowish gel, into the storage place and set her hand back on the stick. The entire flight would reveal nothing.

“Control, Gunslinger 106, strike inbound mothers, state twelve-point-one, angels six.”
“Gunslinger 106, control, acknowledge mothers, switch marshall.” As ordered, Amy switched over to marshall control and reported in. She was then bombareded with more radio reports.
“Gunslinger 106, mother’s weather, broken, wind thirteen at sixty-six, case three recovery.
“Gunslinger 106, marshall at angels six, twelve miles. Estimated recovery time is two-three, time now, one-seven.”
“Roger marshall.” Amy complied, turning her Hornet for the marshalling stack position. She would orbit here before being cleared. Below, she watched a pair of F-14s being launched. The two interceptors headed southwest for a CAP. Just as they were leaving, one of the S-3s came down clean on the deck. They tailhook grabbed number three and the big jet slowed to a stop. The wire was withdrawn and the Viking taxied out of the way. Not a minute after the first ASW plane landed, the second came down.
The landing system on a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier is set up so that the carrier can recover a plane every fifty seconds. The crew has to work fast to be so efficient. Afterall, there is no excuse for an on-deck collision or for an aircraft to down because it is out of gas.
“Gunslinger 106, push marshall stack. Cleared inbound for recovery.”
“Roger, control. Gunslinger 106 is pushing marshall stack.” Amy turned for the Stennis, turning on her Instrument Landing System. She put her gear, flaps, and tailhook down and put her engines to 46% power and slowed to 180 knots. At the six miles out cue, she slowed even further to 130 and held there.
The F/A-18E Super Hornet has an Automatic Landing System that allows for a hands-off landing. A computer on board the carrier would recieve a signal from the incoming aircraft and then guide the plane to landing. Though it was easier, many pilots didn’t like to use it because they felt a lack of control. Mercury was one of the pilots who perfered to guide her Hornet down herself.
The ILS lines projected on her HUD crossed exactly in the center, telling her that she was on a perfect glide slope. She pulled the engines back to 25%.
“Gunslinger 106, three-fourths mile, call the ball.”
“Control, Super Hornet Ball, state three-one-zero.”
“Roger, ball.” the Landing Safety Officer acknowledged. “A little hot for landing.”
“Understood, slowing.” She was a half mile off the deck and on the ball when a message came over the broad band. “Contact, unidentified aircraft, two ship formation, angles seven, Inbound from the north, hot!”
“Pukin’ Dog one, copy contacts. Inbound.” Mercury did some quick calculations. The pair of F-14s were on the southeastern side of the carrier on CAP. They were fifty nauticals away from the carrier and if those contatcs were hostile and carrying ASMs, the Johnny Reb hadn’t a chance.
She retracted her tail hook and slammed the throttles forward with the radio cry “bolter, bolter, bolter” and made her rotation. The Super Hornet screamed across the deck, afterburners flaming blue.
“Marshall, landing control, Mercury is bolter! Mercury is bolter!”
Amy gained altitude, switched over to traffic, “Diamond, Gunslinger 106, investigating contacts!” It was just moments before she was supersonic and headed for the pair of bandits.
“Mercury, what in the hell are you doing?” Dutch asked. Having broken marshall formation, he pulled up alongside.
“Yell at me later, Dutch. We’ve got some bogeys to ID.” Amy had by now switched her computers to air-air mode. On her left Multi-Funcion Display was her missile stores; eight AMRAAMs and four Sidewinders. The right MFD displayed her radar in track-while-scan mode. The center MFD was set to display her threat radar indicator.
Right now, her radar was displaying a pair of green boxes with lines pointing down. These green lines were the direction her targets were heading. The threat radar indicator showed two boxes with the number 27 inside.
“Contact, Floggers.” she reportd the targets as being MiG-27s (NATO designation: Flogger). These were fighter/bombers evolved from the MiG-23 air superiority fighter of the 1960s. They were capable of carrying four AS-7 ‘Kerry’ laser guided ASMs. Though highly inaccurate, these weapons still posed a threat to the carrier. Perhaps and even greater threat to the aviators were the pair of AA-2 “Atoll” medium-range IR homing missiles slung beneath the wings.
“Gunslinger, Diamond, disengage contacts. Repeat, disengage and return to carrier now!” This was the voice of the CAG. Mercury though for a moment of disobeying orders, but on hearing the “fox one” report of a released AIM-54 Pheonix she turned for home. Twenty-seven miles out from her position the lead Flogger was splashed.
And she was in trouble.
Damn.
As she flew home, she didn’t notice the sigil of Mercury fading on her forehead.

Back on deck...

“CAG is pissed.” Anjali Krist told Amy as she led her to safety.
“How pissed?”
“Pissed, Ams.” the young yellowshirt said, “He wants you in his office in right now.”
“Oh, shit.” the pilot rolled her eyes. Office calls to the CAG meant that he was unusually displeased with someone. The last guy that got called in there lost his wings.
Amy decided it best to be punctial. She filled out her mission report on the way to his office, sliding it into the box on the door before knocking. He called her in and she entered, standing at attention before his desk.
“Lieutenant Amy Anderson reporting as ordered, sir.”
He glared at her for a long time. Like many pilots, Captain Muldoon was short, maybe five-eight if he were lucky. His head was bald from spending the last twenty years beneath a flight helmet, and his eyes were wide and blue. Situational awareness was a hard habit to kick. Finally, he patted his leg with a notepad and spoke to her. “What the hell were you thinking up there? You were half a mile out and already on the ball before you pulled that crazy stunt.”
“I am well aware of that, sir.”
“You coulda got somebody killed! What would have happened if you stalled out. I’d have a hole in the deck of this boat and another letter to write. I agree that we have to take risks, but even the risks have to have an envelope.”
“Yes, sir.”
“So, you gonna stand there like an arrow with curves, or are you gonna explain yourself?”
Amy though carefully before making a response. “I didn’t think the Tomcats would have enough time to ID the targets before they were in range. For the safety of the boat, I had to check them out.”
“Mercury, Floggers don’t carry weapons that are decent threats to our aircraft carriers?”
“The contacts were not ID’d yet, sir. They could have been Tu-95s carrying ‘kickbacks’ or ‘exocets.’ I had to make sure they weren’t.”
“Point made.” Muldoon conceded. “But what you did was still extremely dangerous and I’m going to have to discipline you for that, though I have no idea how. Usually, I’d be handing you some nasty duty, but you love flying so much it wouldn’t matter. I could ground you, but that won’t look like too good a punishment to the air boss or the captain. You women are just hard to get.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“It means that every damn female on this ship is the exact polar opposite to every male sailor. You’re all just so damn persistent.”
“But...”
“But nothing. You’re confined to quarters until further notice.”
“Yes, sir.” Mercury said icily before turning on a heel and stalking out the door.