Chapter 5: Fully Loaded



Reno lifted his staff above his head, trying to concentrate on a small green materia in his nightstick, while running at the same time. He felt a huge rush of energy as he finished casting Haste on himself. The girl, Averls, if that was who she really was, was very athletic and fast, he could barely keep up with her, even with the spell. He pointed his nightstick towards her, again concentrating on a small green materia.

"Petrify!" The girl slowed a little, then stopped completely, frozen, turned to stone. Reno quickly reached for a Soft in his pocket. He broke it open and poured the dust over her. Slowly cracks appeared all over the rock covering her body, then shattered. She coughed, dust coming from her mouth. She lifted her head and looked into Reno’s eyes for a moment, and he knew it was her. She slowly started to turn.

"Don’t run. I can catch you." He took her wrist.

"Are you Averls?"

She looked at him, fear and anger in her eyes, then clasped her hand over his wrist, pulling the captive hand away. She twisted the arm over her head, and kicked Reno square in the face.

"Yes, I’m Averls. And don’t you forget it."

Blood filled Reno’s eyes and nose as he lay, stunned on the ground. He wiped the blood and dust from his face. The kick had nailed him like a brick to the head.

He staggered up slowly, but she was gone. He reached for his nightstick to cast Cure on himself, but he felt nothing there. He looked down. The nightstick was gone.

The little bitch took it.

Reno felt naked without his nightstick. He looked around him. Rubble surrounded him.

Hehe, reminds me of the slums...

Reno looked around for some kind of recognizable landmark so he could figure out where he was. Somewhere in Sector 3, he knew that much. He was supposed to meet the architects where the Shinra HQ would’ve been, smack bang in the middle of Midgar. He picked up the piece of concrete with the A.

This was at the Wall Market... how the hell did it wind up at Sector 3?

Reno tried to remember where his favourite Sector 3 bar was, The Old Pipe. Now that the two levels of Midgar had merged, it was impossible to find anything. The Old Pipe had been in the slums... Reno looked around, confused.

"Ah fuck..."

A low chuckle emanated from behind a piece of concrete.

"Who is that? Show yourself."

The chuckle came again, this time louder and clearer.

He’s coming closer...

The noise seemed familiar.

Rufus...

"R-Rufus?"

"You’re a very clever boy Reno."

Rufus stepped out from a large hunk of concrete behind Reno. Reno spun around.

Rufus looked nothing like the old Rufus at all. He wore dark sunglasses over his eyes, and was dressed completely in black leather. He took out a pistol and aimed it at Reno’s head.

"You son of a bitch, you killed Tseng."

"Yes, yes I did. Hmm, you’re still wearing that ridiculous Turk suit? How will the Turks possibly function with only two members?"

"Two members? Rufus, what do you think you’re doing?"

"I know exactly what I’m doing. You should feel proud Reno, really, you get to become part of the resurrection of Shinra."

"Fuck you Rufus, I’m not becoming part of anything."

Reno clenched the piece of concrete in his hand.

"Please, not so vulgar. I didn’t ask you if you wanted to, you have no say in the matter at all I’m afraid. And I would be very careful in your words. Take a look at your situation. You’re unarmed, you have a gun pointed to your head, fully loaded I might add. You’re all by yourself Reno. Like you were as a child."

"Rufus, put the goddamn gun down."

"Hell no, I’m enjoying this, I’m on a roll. Have you figured out what Project Fusion is yet. It’s very simple, even Reeve should have nearly figured it out by now."

Reno said nothing.

"Hahaha, obviously not. I’ve spent far too much time here already fooling around with you Reno. I have a very busy schedule. Goodbye."

Rufus pulled the trigger. Rufus didn’t see the small piece of concrete in Reno’s hand.

Reno threw the piece of concrete into the air and dived as the bullet came from the gun. The bullet smashed through the concrete, slowing it down only for a millisecond, but long enough for Reno to get out of the way. Rufus’ eyes grew wide as he felt himself being thrown to the ground by Reno.

"I hate to do this to you buddy." Reno picked up Rufus from the ground and hit a hard right hand to Rufus’ face. Rufus stumbled backwards and dropped his gun, then brought his right hand into Reno’s stomach. Reno gasped for air as he felt the spikes on Rufus’ fist gauntlet go through him. Rufus held Reno close to him and whispered in his ear.

"I don’t think so Reno, I don’t think fighting me is a very good idea."

Rufus punched him again. Reno coughed up blood. Rufus let Reno go and watched him as he fell to the ground.

"Better to let you die slowly, yes, that is better."

Rufus took a long sword from his jacket. It was a Masamune.

Rufus ran a finger along the flat side of the blade.

"That’s right Reno, Masamune, the same kind of sword that Sephiroth used. It is nearly as powerful as Cloud Strife’s Ultima Weapon. But I’m sure it will catch up."

Rufus turned, and started to walk away.

Reno slowly staggered up, taking a long metal pipe in his hands.

"Never..." he whispered, using all his remaining strength to walk up behind Rufus.

"Turn...." he was losing blood, he closed one hand over the puncture wounds where Rufus had impaled him with the fist gauntlet.

"Your back.." Reno stood behind Rufus, metal pipe raised above his head.

"On a Turk!!" Reno brought the pipe down onto Rufus’ head. Reno felt the impact shudder through his wrist and up his arm, and if felt good. Rufus collapsed almost as soon as he was hit, falling to his knees then to the ground.

"I.. always wanted to do that to you Rufus.. for all the people you and your father destroyed.."

"Oh really?!" Rufus sprang up again, and drove his Masamune through Reno.

Rufus tapped himself on the head, a small metallic sound coming from it.

"I’m no normal, boring, flesh and blood human Reno. I’m much, so much more. I am, I suppose what you could say, improved. How do you think I survived that explosion Reno?"

Reno couldn’t understand the words Rufus was saying, only hear noise. He tried to make a sound, but couldn’t. He looked at the pool of blood forming beneath him, and slumped to the ground, closing his eyes.



Chapter 6
Back To Library