Possesion Of The Soul

Possesion Of The Soul


by MacJoshy


As he sat silently he began to ponder his very
existence, "Why am I here
after all that went on last night?"

A human form lay motionless beside a large hulking shape.

"How the hell did this happen? Why did that bastard let me become this? Hojo. I thought he died... Wait, I watched him die... So he continues to plague me after death. No one but him could have pulled this off."

For the first time, the machine once called Cait Sith looked over at the body, his former body. In a panicked attempt to return to his self, his soul, he screamed.

No one would hear it.

He was alone.

Alone.

Utterly alone in the ruins of a once grand city.

He felt as if he was riding a large animal. Or something else of the sort... He had almost no control over the lower half of it. It was more like it had its own motive, its own force, that was driving it forward. But, somehow, he had the reins and couldn't release them. He steered it in whatever direction he desired to go.

And that direction was out of Midgar.

He tried to recall what his name was, but couldn't. He remembered every little detail except that one. That was the worst thing that the forsaken monster Hojo had done to him.

"There is no way I can return to my former self," he realized suddenly. The thought hit him like a punch to the stomach. He sucked in air through his closed lips.

No matter what he did he couldn't return to his old body. Decomposition was probably already taking its toll on his once strong limbs and structure.

"Where to go?" he thought.

"Onward," the voice inside him spoke forcefully.

But to where?

He felt hopeless, helpless, and lonely. He laughed out loud in the damp air Lonely. What a joke! He would surely be lonely forever.

After what seemed like years he reached his place. The place he remembered fondly...

What was this place? But an empty field...

The flowers.

The farmhouse.

The woman standing at the door.

Home is where the heart is.

His heart was at his home and he was sure of it. That had been it. When? He did not know. He couldn't remember what he wanted to. Only what Hojo had let him. Only the things he didn't want to know were in his mind. All the pain and suffering lasted. The happy childhood had vanished from memory.

Where had the memories gone?

Where was his own story?

Erased by the self-proclaimed god that was Hojo. Now he was gone. What difference did that make. He was still able to plague his victim after his death. Alive or dead, Hojo was still.

He remained.

He existed.

He was alive in death.

Hojo's body had died but his soul was not at rest. He possessed everything. He was the grass that the being, once known as Cait Sith, who was once known as Reeve, was standing on. How Hojo gained possession of Reeve wasn't clear, but it was the truth.

All that waited for him was death.

It was the only way.

The only way he could free himself from possession.

Would it really free him? Or would it just make his tormented soul become possessed. Not his living body, but his living essence.

He felt his side. There was a gun. He stepped off the massive animal and walked a few feet.

He held the gun to his head.

He pulled the trigger.

Click.

Again.

Click.

Again.

As his body dropped to the grass, he felt his soul be released.

He was free.

Suddenly, a stabbing pain came over his soul. How could a soul feel pain? A soul can't feel pain, but he did.

Hojo had gained possession of his soul. There was no way out. It was all over. It was the end. The end of it all... Never again to be free.

.:end:.


Back to Library