Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Those We Thought We Had Conquered

By T'Shael

Chapter 10

The group on the hilltop stared in dismay at the damage below them. Uprooted trees, mud and debris lay scattered about the countryside. Dead animals including two sea monsters lay sprawled where the water had left them.

“It look like our coast wasn’t spared after all.” An unlit cigarette hung from Cid’s lips. “But at least the water didn’t reach any homes.”

“Amen to that.” agreed Cloud. “The power of that wave was awesome.”

“Poor Yuffie.” A worried frown creased Tifa’s brow. “That was some quake. I hope she and Godo are all right.”

“None of my phone calls have gotten through,” Aeris’ face was somber. “We’ll just have to hope for the best.”

Sephiroth didn’t want to voice what he feared. Had the kidnaper been caught in the wave?

In essence the triples were almost clones of himself and he’d always been able to sense his clones. Nothing in his feelings made him think they were dead, but then at their age he wasn’t sure he could trust his feelings.

The red beast turned and looked at his friends. “I don’t think our kidnappers were caught in this mess. It’s time we started looking for the children.”

“Right.” Cid dropped his cigarette and ground it under his heel. “I don’t think the kidnaper would hang around Rocket Town or Nibelheim after what he’s done, so I’m going to go out on a limb and say those areas are clear. This is how we’ll conduct the search, Aeris, Sephiroth and Red, I’m going to drop you off in North Corel. You check the materia cave, the village the and that cave we found Lucrecia’s ghost.”

He paused and looked at Sephiroth.

“I forgot. Maybe you’d prefer . . .”

Sephiroth stopped him with an upraised hand. “I appreciate your being so considerate. I can face my mothers grave.”

Cid acknowledged this with a nod. “Right. After you leave the cave, head on over to the Gold Saucer and ask Dio if he’s seen anything suspicious. I know we were just there, but maybe we passed the kidnaper by on our way back to here. Cloud, you, Tifa, I and my crew will search the Corel and Nibel Mountains by both air and chocobo. Maybe we’ll get lucky, after the first sweep. From there we’ll go to Costa Del Sol.”

“Sounds like a good plan to me,” said Aeris.

“I agree,” said Cloud.

“Me too,” said Tifa.

“When you guys leave the Saucer try the Black House next, then Gongaga and The Ancient Forest. My group and I will search the ice continent.”

Tifa looked worried. “Do you really think the kidnaper would take the kids there? That place could make our babies deathly sick if they aren’t properly dressed for it.”

“Maybe he won’t go there,” said Cid, “but we can’t take the chance of not looking.”

Aeris looked distressed. “Then maybe that’s where we’d better look first. We could spread ourselves across the continent.”

The pilot shook his head. “That’s not a good idea Aeris. All of us in one place looking?”

“Why not?”

“You know better than that.”

“Cid is right,” said Sephiroth, unhappy to be siding against his wife. “The kidnaper may not expect us to look in the Ancient Forest or in the ruins of the Ancient Temple. We’ve got to spread ourselves as thin we can to cover any possibility. We’ll miss something if we stay in one group, while the kidnaper gains more distance.”

Aeris sighed. “I know you’re both right. ”

“Don’t worry,” said Cid. “We’ll find them.”

He bowed gesturing toward his ship.

“Gentle creature, ladies and gentlement if you’ll step this way, we’ll get this show on the road.”

“Or in the air.” Tifa took Cloud’s hand as they headed for the Highwind. “Do you think Little Cloud is okay?”

Cloud squeezed her hand. “He comes from hardy stock.I believe he is.”

Tifa squeezed his hand. “I love you.”

Cloud wrapped his arm around her waist. “Lets go.”

A crewman saluted Cid at the door. “The last chocobo is on board Sir.”

“Good.” The pilot stepped inside the ship and raised his voice. “Prepare to take off. We’re heading for North Corel!”

“About time,” Cid growled as he walked by. “Let’s get this ship off the ground.”

Within short order they were high in the air.

On the Observation Deck, Aeris squeezed Sephiroth’s hand. “Do you really think we’ll find them Sephy?”

He pressed her hand against his chest. “I don’t doubt it for a moment.”

“This search is truly like a needle in a haystack.”

Sephiroth swept her into his arms. “You’re the most optimistic person I’ve ever met in my life. I wouldn’t expect those words from like you.”

“I’m sorry.” She rested her head on his chest. “This is a nightmare come true.”

Sephiroth raised her chin and looked into her eyes. “Be strong for our children.”

“I’ll try,” she nodded, “from this point on.”

He gave her a gentle kiss.

* * * * *

Twenty minutes later they were on a hill watching the Highwind fly away. A pair of chocobos stood behind them waiting patiently.

Red nodded toward them and flicked his tail. “They’re as anxious to go as we are.”

“Let’s not disappoint them.” Sephiroth held out a pair of reins to Aeris.

She took them and climbed up on the chocobo’s back. Sephiroth leaped on his animals back and nudged it into a slow walk.

“We’ll spread out,” he suggested. “Look for signs of an terrain vehicle or a cart. Whoever took the children has to carry them in something.”

“Then again they may be traveling by chocobo,” added Red. “Look for a group of tracks. Especially tracks that look as though the animals were led in single file. One or two people leading chocobos wearing saddle pouches could easily carry four children.”

“We need to look for signs of aircraft too,” the Cetra pointed out. “Helicopter skid marks or a impromptu airstrip are suspicious as far as I’m concerned.”

“Right.” Sephiroth’s face was expressionless. “There’s a very large margin to make some big mistakes here. We have to be very diligent if we hope to find the children at all.”

“I’m going to find my children no matter what!” Aeris sat up straighter. “What’s our first stop guys?”

“The materia cave.” Sephiroth inclined his head. “It’s not the most comfortable place to hide four babies, but maybe our kidnapper thinks we won’t bother to look there.”

“I’ll move off three hundred yards to the left,” said Red. “And work my way back and forth a mile wide for three miles.”

“Okay,” replied Aeris. “I’ll move three hundred yards to the right and work back and forth a mile wide for three miles. Sephiroth can work the middle section.”

“Oh no you don’t.” Sephiroth’s voice was firm. “I’m going to take the area to the right. You’ll work between me and Red.”

Aeris opened her mouth to protest, but closed it when she saw his expression.

“Okay, fine”

She started off. Sephiroth moved to his area and began his search. Their tedious sweep was slow and uneventful. They found no unusual tracks or odd markings anywhere. He and Red divided their attention between looking for the children and protecting Aeris. She’d been kidnaped several times in her life before. Both man and beast were worried the Cetra would be so focused on finding her children, she’d forget to look out for herself

In the end, the only monster they came across was sleeping under a tree. It rose at their approach, then chose flight instead of fight. Beyond the tree was the materia cave, with it’s dark mouth beckoning to them.

Red tested the air. “Let me go in first.”

Aeris looked concerned. “Are you picking up someone’s scent?”

“No,” was the answer. “The smell I’m getting must be a good month old, but I’m not going to take any chances. I was Hojo’s prisoner once and I learned certain chemicals can mask new smells as old scents.”

Ready for action, Red crept in. The humans followed him slowly. The deeper they ventured into the cave, the brighter the walls became. The reason for the light became obvious when they entered a spacious cavern. In the center of a pool of golden mako was a fountain formed of natural stone. Scattered around the base of it were jumbled piles of smooth materia. Though the fountain gave off a bit of warmth, the temperature of the cave was comfortable.

A dead end.” Aeris sighed and turned away.

“Don’t give up hope.” The red beast swished his tail. “We’ve got stops to go. Cloud and the others may be luckier.”

Sephiroth put his arms around Aeris. “Our search is only beginning Aeris. We’ll find the children, I swear.”

Aeris turned and looked into his eyes. “I did promise to be strong didn’t I?”

He allowed himself a faint smile. “Yes you did.”

The Cetra squared her shoulders. “I’ll be okay Sephiroth.”

“That’s the spirit,” said Red.

Sephiroth turned to Red XIII. “Any more information about that scent?”

“No” Red checked the ground again. “Actually it’s so faint I’m barely picking it up. I‘m definitely not getting the scent of babies.”

“Okay.” Sephiroth took his wife by the hand. “Time to go to the village.”

Outside he and Aeris mounted up for the trip to North Corel.

* * * * *

“What do you mean she got away?” Godo struggled to sit up.

With a firm hand, the doctor pushed him back down.

“She’s with that Turk!” growled Barri, :That criminal stole my bride!”

“No!” Godo sat up, shoving the doctor’s hand away. A wave of dizziness swept over him and he raised a hand to his head.

“You must lie down,” the doctor insisted. “You’ve got a slight concussion.”

“Doctor, please leave us alone.”

“But you . . . ”

“GET OUT!” roared Godo.

The doctor left the room saying “Call me if you need me.”

Barri slammed the door behind him.

Godo’s eyes were gleaming black coals. “Forgive me Barri, for the shame of my daughter. She’s wilder than I ever imagined.”

“Yuffie is very spirited,” agreed Barri. “That’s one of the reasons I like her.”

The older man’s eyes closed his eyes. “Are you saying you still want her? Even after all this?”

“Yes I want her.” Barri raised his chin. “She’ll be my bride as you promised.”

“She’s with that Turk,” Godo looked away. “If she had to be with a lawless Turk, why pick the womanizer in the bunch?”

His voice dropped to nearly a whisper.

“I don’t know how far she’s gone with him . . . she may not be . . .”

His voice trailed off.

Barri’s smile was grim. “She’s mine, no matter what she’s done. I won’t lose her to him now or ever!”

“She needs someone strong like you.” Godo’s eyes went narrow. “Bring my daughter back to me and we’ll hold the wedding immediately!”

Barri bowed low to hide a cruel smile.

“Don’t worry.” He reached out to shake Godo’s hand. :That Turk has no future with my runaway bride. She’ll keep no house or raise children other than mine!”

“As it should be.” Godo sighed and laid back. “Send the doctor in on your way out. Go forth with my blessing.”

Barri bowed again and left the room.

“He wants you,” he snarled to the doctor and left the building slamming the door. Outside he raised one fist to the sky. “No woman makes a fool out of me! I’ll find you Yuffie and make you pay. I’ll make you watch me kill him!”

An aftershock rattled the ground beneath his feet.

That’s how hard you’ll shake my dear, when I get finished with you, he thought turning his steps toward home.

* * * * *

The Highwind drifted low over th Nibel mountains while Cloud and Tifa scoured the land on chocobos. They found no trace of the children so far and they still had lots of areas to cover.

Tears threatened to spill from Tifa’s eyes to her cheeks but she held them back. Cloud had enough to fret about.

He galloped over a nearby hill and reigned in next to her chocobo.

“See anything?”

She shook her head and keyed up a handheld radio.

“Cid have you spotted anyone from the air?”

“Negative,” he replied. “Don’t give up, I’m still looking.”

Cloud turned his mount around. “I’ll check more to the east. You take the west and keep touch on your radio.

“Right.” Tifa forced a smile and gave a thumbs up sign. She turned in the opposite direction.

Cid turned his ship south, his eyes raking the ground. A crewman called in from the north.

“Nothing here Sir.”

“Keep looking,” he pulled a cigarette from his pack. ‘They’ve got to be here out there somewhere. We’ll find them.”

“Roger.” The radio went dead.

Cid thought about his own son asleep in his bed. He knew how he’d feel if he lost him. He couldn’t imagine who’d have the gall to steal the children of four of the Planet’s heroes. If whoever it had a death wish, he’d certainly picked a good way to have it granted.

He pulled out a lighter and lit his cigarette. He’d never thought of himself as religious, but somehow he couldn’t resist mumbling a prayer that they’d find the children alive.

* * * * *

“Move faster,” the tall being grumbled to his partner. “The sooner we get these children back to camp the sooner we’ll began their lessons.”

The creature beside him raised its head. “You don’t have two babies strapped across your back beating against your sides with each movement.”

“They’re no heavier than the two I’m carrying.” The tall being gave her a withering look. “Stop complaining and pick up the pace Sakara!”

Sakara grumbled under her breath.

Qwenta’s head snapped around. “What did you say?”

“I said if we’re attacked by monsters, how am I supposed to fight? It will take time to get this harness off.”

“I’ve got that covered,” the tall being said.

“But you’ve got four arms. Can’t you carry all of these kids?”

Angry now, the tall being placed itself in front of its companion. “After all I’ve sacrificed for you, you repay me with whining complaints?”

The beast closed her eyes. “I’m sorry.”

“Who took cared for you instead of leaving you to die?”

“You did Father.” Sakara looked ashamed.

The red pupils widened in the bright green eyes.

“You would be dead without me,” he continued. “The others would have killed you. I saved you and fled to safety!”

“Yes Father.”

“What I ask is a simple thing Sakara.”

“Yes Father.”

“You will treat me with respect!”

“I’m sorry.”

“Look at me daughter.”

The beast complied. Red hot pupils scorched her face.

“You must be willing to give your very soul. Obey me. I am your father.”

The being held out it’s two free hands.

“These hands can comfort or cause you pain when discipline is required.”

Sakara winced. “I remember Father.”

“It’s been a while since I’ve inflicted pain on you that way, but don’t tempt me child!”

A tremor ran through Sakara’s body.

Qwenta stooped down and took her face in his hands.

“Beautiful, beautiful Sakara,” he cooed softly. “You’re the only daughter I’ll ever have. I’ve never enjoyed hurting my precious girl. Like all growing child you must test your boundaries and like any loving parent I must reign you in. Sometimes I be a little too strong, but that’s only because I love you so. No one on this Planet will ever love you like me. We’re all we have . . . you and I . . . we’re family.”

“We’re family,” she repeated. “I’d die for you father, just like you’d die for me. We’re all we have. We’re family.”

“Good girl.” Qwenta glanced at the purple stone she wore. He’d have to find a bigger piece for her when they reached home. He stood up brushing off imaginary dust. “You must help with training your brothers. They’re part of our family now.”

Sakara nodded. “But what about their real parents? Won’t the children miss them?”

“I’m their real parent now!”

Sakara shied away. He started at her a moment then continued.

“They won’t miss those murderers for long. The good thing about adopting them while they’re so young, is they’ll forget the others quickly. They’ll come to know and love me just as much as you do. When the time comes to take revenge . . . we six will be unstoppable! ”

Sakara’s eyes glittered.

“I’m the last of my kind,” she said. “They will die for killing my people!”

“No one will find our hiding place,” bragged Qwenta. “I’ll have the time I need to train my new sons in the way of battle. They’ll kill their parents like all the rest . . . without a speck of mercy! When the last drop of enemies blood seeps into the soil, you and I will be in control!”

“I’m looking forward to it Father.” Sakara picked up her pace. “You’ve always know what’s best for us. Thanks for putting me back in my place.”

“Don’t mention it child.” Qwenta dropped back a few steps to smile at the back of her head. Had anyone seen the look on his face they would have been very afraid.