Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Those We Thought We Have Conquered

By T'Shael

Chapter 7

Yuffie rode along cautiously. It was hardly worth the effort to make an escape just to end up in some monster’s stomach. She closed her eyes and shuddered hearing the crunch of Vahun’s bones in her mind. She wondered if she’d ever forget it.

The morning air was crisp and cool, almost too cool for the ninja’s liking. She welcomed it, however, without complaining. The night time monsters were just turning in while the day time monsters needed sun to warm up. It was still possible she could run into one beast or another, but this time of day almost guaranteed early travelers a safe passage across Watui’s vast plains.

Yuffie groaned wishing now she hadn’t revealed her presence to the servants. They were all so busy with Godo not one of them had thought about looking for her. She could have added more time to her chance for escape, by the time they got around to her. Chenu was probably wondering why she wasn’t at the doctor’s office. He’d send the maid Luna to bring her there for sure.

Luna would run into Barri at the house and tell him his future bride lived but was missing. Barri would lose his temper and want to know exactly where she was. That’s when Matt, dear old helpful Matt Tucker would hear them and come over to see if he could help. Yuffie could almost hear his voice telling them how he found her in the wreckage of her room and how he’d given her a flashlight.

Barri was no fool. Once he heard that, he’d put two and two together and figure out his future bride had run away. He’d round up a group of men and hunters to go out looking for her. He’d probably offer a reward to the one who brought her in.

That wasn’t even the worst of it. Once he had her back in his clutches, Barri was sure to go see Godo. If Godo was conscious and alert, the young businessman would convince him the best thing for Yuffie would be to become his wife right away. No doubt her father would agree and the wedding would take place in his sickroom.

“Damn!” The desperate ninja glanced back over her shoulder. Barri had always seemed so gentle before, but now she didn’t believe that. It was clear he enjoyed his right to boss her around. What she’d thought was casual interest before, hid a frightening tinge of possessiveness. Barri wanted her all to himself. He might even lock her up to keep it that way.

Yuffie shuddered. Was he mean enough to strike her? There were once two women in the village who were beaten on a regular basis by their husbands. One of them committed suicide. The other moved away when her husband accepted a job with Shinra. Yuffie remembered the bruises they wore and the make up that that couldn’t hide them. She wondered if her marriage like that.

Maybe he’ll get mad because I ran away and declare our marriage null and void, she thought. Then he’ll find someone else to mold to his wishes.

She knew that wasn’t likely.

The golden edge of the rising sun rimmed the crest of the distant mountains. Feeling safe, Yuffie decided to slow her mount to a walk.

“You’re going to need all the strength you’ve got to get us across the ocean.” She ruffled her chocobo’s feathers. “We’ll walk for a little while and try to stay out of sight.”

It hurt to think Godo might disown her for running away, but she had to make this stand for herself or die trying. It just wasn’t right to force a woman into marriage. Everyone should be free to follow the call of his or her own heart.

“I don’t know how I’m going to find Reno,” she said aloud. “He must know I’m out of the hospital but he hasn’t been to Wauti since I’ve come home.”

The sounds of the chocobo’s running feet had masked all sounds around her. Now that the animal was down to a walk, she heard the distinct sounds of something coming up behind her. Alarmed the ninja stopped her chocobo. The sounds behind her continued. The height of the growth here the scattering of tree completely blocked her view. Yuffie couldn’t tell if the sounds were a monster or human.

“Damn!” she breathed. She didn’t have a weapon. What was she going to do?

She slid quickly off the chocobo’s back and led to it to a patch of high wild grass. She made the animal squat in the center and knelt close by holding by its bridle.

The rustling came closer. The only weapon close by was a walnut sized rock. Well that was better than nothing. She picked it up. A rock would hardly slow a monster down but she might have a chance if she could hit an eye.

Something dark and tall came around a thick bush. Yuffie hurled her weapon and ducked back into hiding.

The figure astride a chocobo ducked. The rock missed its target completely.

“Well,” said a cracked voice. “If I’d been a monster, you’d be dead now.”

It was the voice of the old man from the village. Yuffie went cold with shock.

“Oh come on out, I know who you are and I can see where you’re hiding.” The old man chuckled. “Or would you rather I come to you?”

“Do it and I’ll crack your skull!” The ninja rose quickly looking around for another rock. She saw one close by and grabbed it.

“My you’re feisty!” the old man cackled. “You’re my kind of girl!”

“You dirty old bastard!” Yuffie threw the rock.

He ducked but it grazed his arm.

“Damn it!” he shouted. “Do that again and I’ll spank you!”

“Try it!” the ninja challenged, looking around for another weapon. “I’ll beat your gray haired ass six ways from Sunday! Why are you following me anyway?”

He shrugged. “I guess I just like pretty girls!”

While she was searching for another rock, the old man dismounted and approached her. Too late, she turned to ward him off. In a flash, he grabbed her arms.

Damn he’s strong!

Yuffie tried to go for his vital parts, but he anticipated her move and tripped her backwards. They fell to the ground with him on top, effectively pinning her down.

Oh my Gawd! she thought. I’m going to get raped by an old man!

“Let go of me, or I’ll scream!” she threatened.

“There’s no one out here to hear except the monsters.” He grinned. “Do you really want one of them to find us like this?”

Tears of anger and disgust streamed down her face. “Let go of me!”

The old man chuckled. “Not just yet. Watch this. I want to show you something.”

He let go of one of Yuffie’s hands. She took advantage of her chance and slapped him.

“No I don’t wanna see THAT!”

“Damm it!” He roared. His voice suddenly changed. “You’re going to see it anyway!”

He pinned both of her hands together with one of his.

“No!” the ninja cried, squeezing shut her eyes shut.

She heard the sound of something ripping.

Gawd! He’s tearing off his pants!

“Stop it!” she cried. “I don’t want to see your wrinkled old . . .“

“Yuffie!”

His voice was suddenly familiar. She opened her eyes and saw red hair catching the glow of the morning light.

“Reno?”

He grinned. “At your service.”

“Reno?”

He released her hands. “It’s me.”

She slapped him with all her might.

He froze, stunned, staring at her.

“You bastard!” She swung again. The blow sounded loud in her ears.

She shoved him off and rolled away. He clambered after her. She evaded his hands and stood up. He jerked one of her ankles bringing her down. They rolled, she pulled her ankle free. She kicked out when he reached again, grazing the back of his knuckles. Reno howled. Yuffie saw a stick lying under a bush. She snatched up and struck the side of his head with it.

Cussing up a blue streak, Reno slapped it from her hand. They struggled briefly before he pinned her to the ground. Breathing heavily he glared at her.

“What in the hell is the matter with you?”

Her eyes blazed. “Why didn’t you tell me who you were?”

“Geez Yuffie!” Reno snapped. “I was just having a little fun!”

“Ha ha ha!” she snarled at him. “Very funny! My father locks me in the house to make me marry Barri. An earthquake tosses me through a wall and I’m attacked by a perverted old man! Very very funny!”

“I’m sorry,” he said, releasing her hands. “Looking from your point of view, this isn’t funny is it?”

He stood up and held out his hand to her.

“Can you forgive me?”

Ignoring his hand, she rose to her feet and threw herself against him.

“Idiot!” She pulled his face down to hers. “Stupid idiot! What do you think?”

The world blurred away as her lips met hers. Everything was right in her world again. She sighed as held her close to him.

“Reno,” her face red, Yuffie pulled away.

“I understand,” he said, stepping back a pace.

They stared at each other longingly until Yuffie looked away.

“Did your father really lock you in the house?” he asked to change the subject. “That explains why I never saw you anywhere outside.”

Yuffie nodded. “He decided I should marry a man named Barri. I had no choice in his say.”

Eyes brimming with tears she looked up at him.

“I’m supposed to get married this Sunday. If I refuse he can take me as a servant. Either way I’m his to do with as he wishes.”

“A sex slave.” Reno’s jaw tightened. “I thought that might be happening to you, but there was no way to confirm my suspicions. As a ‘stranger’ to Watui I could only ask so many questions before people got suspicious as to who I really was. I heard talk in the taverns that I was to be apprehended at once if I was spotted and forced to leave Watui under guard.”

“I know.” Yuffie stepped close laid her head against his chest.

Reno put his arms around her.

“All I could think about was getting to you, but I couldn’t get out of the house.”

“I almost panicked when your house collapsed,” confessed Reno. “If you hadn’t raised your head when you did, I would have run to that wreckage screaming your name.”

Yuffie held him tighter. “I didn’t know where to find you, but I would have kept looking if it took the rest of my life.”

He chuckled then asked curiously. “Where did you get a change of clothing?”

“My backpack,” she explained. “I always keep another set in there.”

“Good thinking,” he said. “I hope you didn’t toss your night clothes aside.”

“Of course I didn’t! That’s a dead giveaway if I was followed!”

He sighed. “I guess I wasn’t following you close enough.”

She giggled. “Pervert!”

Reno raised her face and covered it with kisses. “Yuffie, I missed you.”

“Not half as much as I missed you,” she murmured.

Her chocobo stood up and squawked.

The lovers pulled apart.

They listened intently but heard nothing.

“Get your chocobo,” said Reno picking up his mask. “We’ve got to get out of here before a search party or worse comes this way.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice,” she said.

She ran to get her chocobo.

“Where should we go?” she asked once she was mounted.

“There’s a ship due to pass the coast in twenty minutes. We’ve got to get out there to and buy our way on,” he said.

He saw the ninja’s worried look.

“Don’t worry, I’ve got enough gil, beside the captain used to work for Shinra.”

Her eyes went moist again.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“You came back for me,” she said in wonder. “You really came back for me.”

“Is that so surprising? Hell! I love you Yuffie!”

“I know.” She smiled through her tears. “That’s what make it so sweet.”

“Come on,” he grinned. “Get a move on.”

They took off at a gallop toward the sea.

* * * * *

“What you mean she’s not under there?” Barri’ face twisted in anger. “Yuffie was locked in her room!”

“I’m sorry Sir!” Luna gulped. “If I could finish Sir . . . Miss Yuffie is well and alive!”

Barri’s face collapsed in relief. “Where is she?”

Moments ago he’d been filled with shock, surveying the wreckage before him.

Luna’s pretty face was white with fear. “I’m afraid I don’t know.”

Barri’s eyes hardened. “What do you mean you don’t know?”

The little maid shook like a leaf in the wind. “She was with us when we took her father out of the house. I thought she stayed with the others on the way to the doctor’s house. I was sent ahead to alert him. When others arrived, she wasn’t with them. Master Chenu sent me back to see if she’d come here.”

A light of fury lit in Barri’s eyes. “My servants and I have been here for a while. They’ve been digging here for at least fifteen minutes. None of us have seen Miss Yuffie here at all.”

The maid looked terrified. “I know she’s not at the doctor’s house and if she isn’t here, where would she go?”

Barri stared at her long and hard. “How was Miss Yuffie dressed?”

“In her night clothes Sir.”

Barri nodded. “Dressed that way, she couldn’t go far.”

“Sir?”

“Never mind!”

Barri thought of Yuffie’s alluring eyes and the warmth of her soft pink lips. He’d already picked the fancy bed covers they’d share on their wedding night. The dressmaker was completing a gown that would show off her body to perfection. He’d picked the music, the wine and the special treats they’d share after making love. All of that planning would go to waste if monster found his bride before he did. Barri clenched his fist. There was no way he’d let that happen. Yuffie was his property. Hid chattel. He owned her.

“What’s going on?” A smiling Matt walked up.

Luna turned to him. “Have you see Mistress Yuffie?”

“Sure!” Matt beamed. “I saw her right here. She was looking through this pile of junk when I saw her. I think she was trying to save things that didn’t break.”

He frowned at the clutter.

“I don’t think she found much though. She didn’t stay long.”

Barri kept his voice level. “Which way did she go?”

Matt pointed. “That way toward the market place.”

Fuming inside, Barri turned to his servants. “Go back to the house and bring back fifteen men. I want chocobos and weapons. I’m going to see Master Godo now. Meet me in this spot in twenty minutes. I’m going to find my bride and we will marry later today.”

“Marry?” Luna looked confused. “Did you say you would marry Miss Yuffie today?”

Barri gave her a withering glare.

The frightened maid hung her head in silence. “Pardon me Sir, I forgot my place.”

The angry young man turned back to his servants. “Do as I tell you right now!”

The servant bowed low and ran to do his bidding.

Barri turned to Luna. “Take me to Master Godo, NOW!”

Luna bowed and led the way.

Barri’s eyes burned like fire. So she’d run away. He’d teach his bride the meaning of obedience tonight when he taught her was it was to be his wife. From this day forward, she’d be the perfect wife. He followed the maid with a tight smile.