Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Those We Thought We Have Conquered

By T'Shael

Chapter 8

“Aeris!” Sephiroth reached for Aeris in the dark and pulled her close against him.. “Aeris . . . are you all right?”

“I . . . will . . . be . . .” her voice sounded muffled against his chest. “When . . . you . . . let . . . me . . . breathe!”

“Sorry.” He rolled clear allowing her to sit up in bed. “That was a pretty bad earthquake.”

“It sure was.” Aeris brushed some hair from her eyes. “This building was really shaking!”

Sephiroth glanced around the room. “That was probably a five at most.”

The Cetra shook her head. “It felt harder.”

Sephiroth reached for remote control. “It ought to be the headlines on the news.”

The phone rang sharply startling them both. Aeris picked up the receiver and placed it against her ear.

“Hello?” She covered the mouthpiece and turned toward Sephiroth. “It’s Tifa.”

He raised a silver eyebrow. “Is Cloud screaming like a woman in the background?”

“No!” She frowned and turned away. “Yes Tifa, we’re okay. How are you and Cloud? I know! Wasn’t that scary?”

She nodded while she listened.

“Right. I’ll call Barrett and you call Cid. I hope they’re both okay too.”

She hung up then pressed numbers into the keypad.

“I hope I’m not waking Mom up,” she said. “Please Barrett, pick it up on the very first ring!”

“Considering what just happened,” Sephiroth said. “She won’t mind.”

Aeris touched his hand. “You’re probably right.”

“I know.”

Barrett picked up on the first ring.

“Hi Barrett,” Aeris started. “ Is Mom . . . she is? Oh thank goodness! I was so worried. I know. I know. That’s right, he’s got the best protector in the world! What? Oh no, no no. This makes me more determined than before. My babies are probably frightened! It hurts to think I’m not there with them.”

She spoke with a few more minutes, then put the earpiece in the cradle. It rang the instant she did. It was Tifa calling to let her know the Highwind family was doing fine. Aeris thanked her for the news and hung up in relief.

“What a morning! I hope this isn’t a omen about our chances of locating the children.”

“Don’t even think that. We’ll find them soon I promise.”

Sharp music from the television grabbed their attention. A news bulletin was coming on. The handsome commentator looked excited. Someone off screen handed him a sheet out of paper. His eyes skimmed it quickly then widened.

“The news is still coming in ladies and gentleman, but we’ve got some sketchy details for the moment. The quakes epicenter was somewhere off the coast of Watui. Local scientists are putting the magnitude at . . . now remember, this isn’t official yet . . . they’re putting the magnitude at 7.9! Tusami warnings have been issued for the Watui and the western coastline of the middle continent. Scientists do not believe the wave will reach as Rocket Town, but residents are on notice to be prepared to move to higher ground necessary. Stay tuned to this station for further details!”

“Watui?” Aeris’ forehead creased with worry. “I’d better check on Yuffie.”

She picked up the phone and tapped out the ninja’s number.

Sephiroth watched her frown deepen.

“There’s a recording,” she told him. “All circuits are busy.”

“If the phone still works maybe she’s okay.”

Aeris hung up and tried again. “Not necessarily. That recording may be just their way of saying the lines are down.”

“Try her PHS,” Sephiroth suggested.

Aeris tried, but there was no response.

“Oh dear Sephiroth. You don’t supposed something’s happened to her?”

“That’s hard to say.”

“Maybe we should go to Watui?”

Sephiroth looked grave. “We could do that of course, but what about the children?”

“You’re right,” she said reluctantly. “The kidnapper will have all that time to get further away. We can’t risk it.”

“Yuffie’s on her own this time,” Sephiroth said in a gentle voice. “She’ll understand why her friends didn’t come.”

“If she’s alive.”

“Don’t think like that,” he admonished her. “You’re the most positive person I’ve ever met, and Yuffie’s pretty tough for a youngster.”

“You’d better not her hear you calling her that.”

Sephiroth smiled. “I’ll be careful.”

The worried look didn’t fade from her eyes.

“Don’t worry,” he said. “She’s very resourceful. Yuffie will be alright.”

Aeris snuggled against him feeling a little sad. “I hope you’re right about that Sephiroth.”

* * * * *

The dark blue waters of the coast were barely visible when Reno slowed his chocobo down to a walk.

“What’s wrong?” Yuffie slowed beside him. “I thought we were in a hurry.”

“We are,” Reno answered, “But we’ve got to make a change here.”

“What change is that?”

“Your clothes.” He indicated her attire with a nod. “You’re still in your pajamas lady.”

Yuffie glanced down at herself.

“Aren’t you cold?”

“Now that you mention it . . .yes.” She frowned. “I would have changed back there in the brush, if you hadn’t startled me.”

“Well change now.”

“Now?”

“Now.”

“Why?”

“Look Yuffie,” Reno sat up straighter. “There are about twenty men on that ship. What do you think they’re going to image if I come aboard with you in pajamas? Do you want them to think you’re a present or a payment from me?”

Yuffie reddened.

His smile grew broader. “Change.”

The ninja looked around. “There’s no privacy here.”

“That can’t be helped. The ship will be here soon.”

She folded her arms. “Turn around.”

“Why?”

“Reno . . . ” she said in a warning voice.

Blue eyes dancing, he turned his mount around.

“Don’t peek!”

“A chocobo has a mind of its own.”

“It better not have its mind on my body!”

“But what if it does?”

His chocobo turned slightly.

“Reno, Damn you! Don’t make me hurt you!”

He turned his chocobo back around. “Mmmmm. That sounds interesting.”

“I mean it Reno! I’ll claw your eyes out!”

“Go ahead and change.” The young Turk chuckled. “I won’t peek. You have my word.”

Mollified, Yuffie reached for her backpack. She undressed as fast as she could and pulled on a pair of underwear and jeans. She watched Reno closely while she adjusted her bra, then reached for a pullover knit top.

Reno’s chocobo stamped its feet and turned to look back the way they’d come.

“Hey!” Yuffie raised the blouse to cover herself. “Turn around Reno! That’s not funny!”

Looking in the distance, his face hardened. “Get dressed Yuffie! I mean it! Right now!”

“Damn it Reno . . . ”

He pointed. “Look!”

Flushed with anger, she turned to look. The frown fell off her face. “What the hell?”

A group of people were in the distance watching from atop of their chocobos.

“We’ve got company,” Reno said. He reached inside his shirt and pulled out a strange device. With a soft hum two round lenses slid out.

“What are those?” Yuffie asked. “Binoculars?”

“Something like that.” Reno raised them to his face. “That man in the middle is watching us too, but he seems more focused on you.”

Yuffie’s face went white. “It’s Barri!”

As if they’d been waiting to hear that name, the group in the distance started forward. Clouds of dust swirled around their heels. Every rider bent low to cut resistance.

“Damn they’re fast!” Reno slipped the device back into an inner pocket. “Hurry up! We’re getting out of here!”

She didn’t care if he was watching or not, Yuffie yanked the blouse over her head. She stuffed her night clothes into her backpack and climbed on her chocobo’s back.

“Run!” She took off. Reno took off behind her.

“We’ve still got a good head start!” she shouted, “They won’t catch up to us!”

“They will if their chocobos are trained racers! Mine isn’t and I’m betting the same about yours!”

Yuffie’s heart sank knowing he was right. A well trained racer could out pace an untrained mount any day. Barri wouldn’t have inferior animals.

She dug her heels into her chocobo’s side urging it to go faster.

“We’ve got to make it to the sea!” she cried. “Let’s hope your friends are really there!”

Reno didn’t answer. He urged his mount to go faster.

Behind them the pursuers slowly closed the gap, still the water was closer to the runaways.

Yuffie and Reno topped a hill near the shore and stared out at a sea of nothing.

The ninja turned to her companion incredulous. “Well? Where are they?”

He looked at his watch. “They’re supposed to be here! I timed them myself! They cruise by through here everyday!”

“Well they’re not here now!” Yuffie looked back. “They’re getting closer! Oh Gawd! They’re going to catch us!”

Reno’s face was grim. “We’re going to have to make a run for it!”

Yuffie shook her head. “Not on these things! If Barri doesn’t catch us, these beasts will tire out and drown us in the sea!”

“If I had known I’d be catching up to you today, I’d have purchased better animals!” he snapped.

“Oh Gawd!” Yuffie moaned. “I don’t want to marry Barri! What are we going to do?”

Reno was torn. One part of him was mentally prepared to watch her dragged away . The other part was determined to get away with her. Their chocobos might cause their deaths but at least they’d end up together.

He trotted out to the edge of the waves.

Could he lead the one he loved to her death?

The waves suddenly made a gurgling sound and rushed away from the shore. Behind it left flapping fish other small startled sea creatures.

Yuffie rode up with a puzzled look. “What’s happening to the water?”

Something clicked in Reno’s head. He made a decision without thinking. “Ride now!”

His chocobo tore out on the muddy ground. Hapless fish were crushed beneath its feet. Yuffie didn’t understand what was going on, but she put her trust in Reno. She followed him tying hard not to look at what her chocobo crushed. It slipped once but kept on going.

She caught up to Reno. “Where are we going?”

“No questions!” He shouted. “No matter what you see! Keep going! Don’t stop, Don’t look back and don’t slow down period!”

Still not understanding she raced with him neck to neck. Only their chocobos speed kept their fet from sticking in the muck of slimy bodies. On the shore, their pursuers closed the distance to the sea.

“Reno?” Yuffie squinted not sure of her eyes. “What happened to the water? What’s that dark thing ahead?”

“Whatever you do,” he said, “Don’t slow down. Run your chocobo run up the face of the wave!”

“What wave? What are you talking about?”

“That!” He pointed.

Yuffie let out an involuntary scream. So that’s what that dark wall was that seemed to be rushing toward them. She almost stopped but Reno grabbed her reins.

“Don’t stop!” he cried dragging her along. “Stopping now will kill us!”

Yuffie bit her lower lip. The dark wave was filling the sky. What are you doing? A voice cried inside her. You should run the other way!

“Keep going!” Reno yanked her reins and let go. He pushed his animal ahead. Frightened almost out of her wits, Yuffie forced her way back to his side.

The wave ahead grew taller and taller.

“Lean forward!” Reno shouted. “Don’t stop!”

The wave loomed before them. They raced up the curved side. Up, up, up and still higher up. The chocobos reached the towering crest and plunged through the foaming head. Below was fifty feet of open air between them and the waves back.. Yuffie and Reno let out a scream as they dropped toward the dark water.

A chocobo is much too heavy to fly, but flapping slowed their descent just enough that the animals didn’t drop like stones. The moment their feet touched the waters surface, both chocobos started to run. The steepness of the wave and a burst of momentum made it seem like gliding over wet glass.

* * * * *

On land the pursuer stopped half a mile from the shore. With his telescope Barri watched in disbelief.

“They made it!” he growled still staring through the lens. “That Turk stole my bride away!”

“Sir we’ve got to leave this place!” cried a man name Montra. “The wave may reach us here!”

Barri put the telescope away. “If Yuffie and that Turk can get pass that wave, I’m sure the rest of you can too!”

“The rest of us?” Montra looked stunned. “You don’t think I’m going out there do you?”

“I’m paying you!” Barri shouted. “Get after them now! All of you! Run up the wave just like they did!”

A man named Bibet balked at that. “You don’t have enough gil in the world for me to kill myself!”

From a pocket, he took out a handful of gil and threw it on the ground. He turned his chocobo and galloped away.

Six other riders followed his lead leaving Barri there with five of his servants.

The angry young man turned on them in rage. “Go after my bride now or I’ll kill you!”

He drew a wicked looking handgun from his side.

The servants stared at the approaching wave and back at the gun in his hand.

“But Master . . . ” one of them ventured.

Barri’s trigger finger tightened

The servants shared a frightened look among themselves, then raced toward the sea. Barri put his gun away and turned his chocobo around. He galloped off to put more space between him and the water.

The servants ran their mounts toward the beach. The waters roar added to their terror.

“It’s too big!” shouted one man. “We must go back!”

“It will kill us!” shouted another.

As they reached the top of the hill on the beach, one servant glanced and saw Barri.

“He’s leaving us!” he babbled in fear. “The Master is running away!”

The first servant slid to a halt so fast, the other four careened into him. Men and chocobos tumbled down the incline and landed in a heap on the beach. The wave approached.

“Run!” screamed one man. “Run for your life!”

They lost too much time trying to free their limb. The first man had barely risen to his feet when the giant wave reached the sand. All of them screamed as it swallowed whole and continued its march across land.

Horrified Barri realized the wave was bigger than he’d first imaged. He was still too close to for comfort. The wave grew larger as it came toward him. He jerked his chocobo’s head around and kicked it hard with his heels. He leaned low over its neck praying that the animal was worth what he’d paid for it..

Don’t let that wave reach the village, he thought. Just don’t let it reach the village!

“Run!” he screamed digging his heels in deep. “You’ve got to outrun that wave!”

The chocobo leaned into its run , tearing up the ground beneath its feet. The sound of the wave filled Barri’s ears. He could feel the mist traveling before it.

“Run!”

Any minute, he’d see water under their feet and the cold wave would smother his body. Barri hit the chocobo with his fist.

“Run!”

The chocobo had come from an excellent trainer but the race it faced now was far more strenuous than conditions on a racetrack. Barri’s beating and kicking and increasing demands for speed were stressing the chocobos endurance beyond normal limits. Its lungs were on fire and its masters pace didn’t allow it time to avoid sharp stones in its path.

The wave was falling behind them now, but Barri still wanted more speed. He pressed the chocobo to run faster still, ignoring the wheezing he heard. To please him, the chocobo let out one more burst of speed and ran for two more miles before collapsing.

Barri hit the ground and rolled twice before stopping. He lay still waiting for death.

Nothing happened. Breathing heavy, he sat up and looked around.

The chocobo lay gasping, its long tongue hanging out. Its huge claw bleed profusely.

Barri dusted himself off.

“You were worth the price I paid,” he said.

He heard the sound of water in the distance. He saw that the wave had expended itself just half a mile behind his position. Even now some of the water was retreating back to the sea. The force of its power dragged away everything it could.

“A strong man prevails,” he said. “I was spared from death to rescue my bride.”

He raised his face to the sky.

“I’ll bring you home Yuffie. Your father was right. It’s that Turks fault you ran away from me. You’re too young to know what you’re doing. I’m going to make you a proper wife. This I promise you.”

The chocobo was in no condition to carry him back to the village. Barri pulled out his gun and checked his ammunition. There was more in his pocket if he needed it. He hadn’t seen any monster so far, but he was prepared if he did. He had a long walk ahead him and plans to make once he reached home.

* * * * *

Gradually the chocobos came to a trot, on the gentler waves of the open sea.

“Gawd!” Yuffie shook her head. “I don’t want to do that again!”

“You and me both.” Reno looked a little pale.

Yuffie reached out and touched him. “We’re okay now.”

“Not if we don’t find that find that ship,” he said. “Our chocobos are totally exhausted!”

Yuffie listened to the animals puffing. “Do you think that wave got the ship?”

“I don’t know Yuffie. I hope not.”

Reno’s chocobo staggered and Yuffie looked scared.

“Look!” Reno pointed. “There’s the ship!”

Yuffie glanced at the small silhouette in the distance. “How do you know its them?”

“If it isn’t, getting to that ship is better than going back to shore.”

The ninja looked back. The shoreline was had vanished.

“The wave has reached land,” she said. “Do you think it reached the village? I’m worried about my father.”

“Don’t worry,” he responded. “It was big, but I don’t think it was that big.”

Yuffie was just about to reply when his chocobo staggered again. As if taking its cue, her mount stumbled too.

“We aren’t going to make it,” she said with fear in her voice.

Reno made another decision. “Force your chocobo to run until it reaches the ship. Don’t allow it to stop running.”

“But it hasn’t got any energy left! It may drop dead before we get there!”

He gave her a wink. “Then just hope it dies close enough to the ship so they will see us when we start swimming!”

He galloped off. Her chocobo started running with a limp as she went after him.