Chapter 5


"So Amber, what's your middle name?" Chris asked as Amber gave him a weird look. "It says a lot about a person. I'm just trying to make small talk. We have to share a room together so why not try and get to know each other?" He defended as she shrugged her shoulders and set down the box she had carried in.

"Swear you won't laugh?" She asked as he nodded. "Valentine." He looked at her with a thoughtful look.

"Valentine? Like the day?" He asked as she nodded.

"It's my birthday so they thought it would be cute." She frowned as he nodded.

"Nice." He said as she tried to lift the box once more. "Here let me help." He offered, lifting the box easily.

"Thanks." She grinned, standing next to him and prying the box open.

"Hey a computer." He smiled as she began unpacking.

"Guys?" River knocked unsurely as Chris opened the door for her.

"You know what we should do?" River asked as Amber turned to face her.

"I know that look ... what are you planning?" Amber asked carefully as Chris watched the two girls with interest. They looked like perfect opposites. Whereas Amber was brown haired and pale, River was blonde haired and tan. She had a few inches on amber, and a few pounds more. It was hard to picture them as best friends, but they were.

"Well, ... it's a new house ... and we have the kitchen and living room unpacked... I say we have a house warming party." She grinned as Amber shook her head.

"We just unpacked, we don't need a bunch of drunken idiots trashing it. Besides, we don't have any food or drinks." Amber reasoned as River shook her head.

"That's what you and Chris are for." She smiled as Amber frowned, more confused than angry. Chris somehow got the impression that River often pushed Amber around. Not in a bad way, but a friendly way.

"What are you talking about?" Chris asked, jumping into the argument.

"Well, Ben and I are still unpacking some of the things, so maybe you and Amber could hit the store while we call people?" She smiled sweetly, trying to convince him. "We'll pay of course."

Smiling, Chris nodded. "Okay." He grinned. "We'll go."

***********************************************

"Hey!" Amber cried as Chris pushed her and the cart forward.

"Ooh.... let's get this stuff." Chris smiled, picking up two six packs and placing them into the cart.

"How are you planning on getting this?" She asked as he handed her his wallet and flipped it open to his ID.

"Twenty-one." He grinned again as she handed it back to him.

"I didn't know you were twenty-one." She said pushing the cart forward as she walked next to him.

"How old did you think I was?" He asked as she shrugged.

"Same as Ben, twenty." She said as he smiled at her over his broad shoulder.

"I am twenty." He said as she nodded and caught up to him.

"Oh..." She said, embarrassed as a girl approached Chris unsurely.

"Oh my God..." She gasped. Amber watched her carefully. She was fully aware of who Chris was, and she feared this girl was going to cause a scene.

"Hi." He smiled politely, glancing back at Amber as she stood in place behind him.

"Are you Chris Joannou?" She asked excitedly as Chris nodded slowly.

"Ah, I love you so much!" The girl cried, rooting through her purse. "Can you sign me?" The girl looked the same age as Amber, taller and with bleached blonde hair.

"Sure..." He said as she handed him a marker she had found. She turned her head suddenly to Amber.

"Is she your girlfriend?" She asked as Chris thought quickly.

"Yeah, Amber sweetie come here and meet someone." He smiled as she looked at him strangely. Following his orders, she stepped forward and he wrapped his arm around her shoulder. "This is my girlfriend Amber." He grinned as the girl shot her a dirty look.

"Oh, just sign my shirt." She said rudely as Chris scribbled his signature and pulled Amber back to their shopping.

"Your girlfriend?" She asked with a laugh as he smiled at her.

"Ah you wish." He grinned as she steered him towards the cashier.

"Yeah right," She said poking him in the ribs, "You keep telling yourself that."



Continue
Previous
Return to Drama Index
Back to Main Page