Chapter 8

Pursing her lips tightly, Amber tried not to look at Chris as he sat on the opposite end of the sofa. "Stop staring at me!" She cried suddenly as Chris snapped his attention back onto the flashing television screen.

"I'm not staring at you!" He yelled frantically, looking over at her.

"There!" She screamed, "You were just staring!"

"I was looking at you!" He screamed in defense. "You were talking, so I looked at you!"

"Yeah right. I know what you were staring at." She mumbled accusingly.

"I wasn't staring!" He cried once more as their conversation was broken by a scream from the other room.

"I swear to God!" River yelled, storming into the room. "Get up!"

"What?" Amber and Chris asked in unison.

"You heard the woman, Get up." Ben smiled, taking hold of Chris' arm and leading him towards his room.

"Let go." Amber resisted. Despite all of her efforts, she was still thrust into the room right behind Chris.

"You two are staying in there until you work out your issues, or you kill each other. Whichever one comes first." Ben called, slamming the door and locking it behind them.

"Fine!" Amber nodded, flopping down onto her bed. Crossing her arms across her chest, she flipped her CD player on and leaned back against the pillows.

"Oh hell no." Chris shook his head as Nsync blared from the stereo. Rushing across the room quickly, Chris flipped the off switch in one fluid motion. Gapping in shock, Amber recovered quickly.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" She asked as he sat on his own bed.

"There is no way I'm listening to that shit." He shrugged, curling into his green bed sheets.

"It's my room too ya' know." She said coolly as he shook his head.

"How could I forget?" He whispered as she squeezed her elephant against her chest.

"I didn't ask to room with you." She reminded as he pretended not to listen to her. "First I have to room with you, then you walk in on me half naked..." She was in tears by now as he stood to look down at her. "And then you let me make a complete fool out of myself by telling you you're cute." She cried as he pressed his finger against her lips.

"Wait." He said softly. "Is that why you're mad?" He asked.

"Yes!" She said slowly. "No.... I don't know." She covered her flushed cheeks as he put his palms against her face.

"I didn't mean to embarrass you." He whispered, brushing away her fat round tears with his thumbs.

"You didn't embarrass me, why would I be embarrassed?" She stuttered, uncomfortable under his gaze.

"Maybe because you like me." He smiled, more daring than he had ever been before.

"Me like you? That's stupid." She laughed as he pressed his lips to hers. Pushing her back onto the bed, Chris deepened the kiss, silencing her earlier protests.

*************************

"Guys?" Ben knocked softly. "Are you two ready to act sane again?...... Guys?"

"No answer?" River whispered.

"No...." He knocked once more. "Guys?" He asked slowly.

"What the hell was that?" River hissed as their ears were met with a loud thump and moan.

"I know that sound..." Ben said, pressing his ear to the door once again.

"What sound?" River asked as Ben straightened suddenly. "What?"

"Let's go watch some TV." He said mechanically.

"Ben.." River called behind him. "What noise???"



Continue
Previous
Return to Drama Index
Back to Main Page