Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
A/N: This is my little HR Shortie. HR for Hopeless Romantic. Can't help it. This fic I wrote right after hearing that John Peel wrote the next two books, 7 and 8, with Helaine & Score hooking up. Needless to say, I was inspired. Here's my take on Score and Helaine's awakening feelings for each other.

Please be kind. This is my first fic.

"Bets and Bicycles Don't Mix" by Luna


Summary: The Title says it all. Based on John Peel's plan to hook Helaine and Score up, this fic is on Score and Helaine's awakening feelings for each other It was a beautiful summer evening in Central Park, located on the planet called Earth in the Outer Rim of the Diadem. The splendor of the green scenery and sunset sky were married by the sounds of a large crash and a female's voice uttering soft curses.

"Ready to give up?" asked Score, a slight mocking tone to his voice.

Helaine gave Score a look that could kill. "Of course not. I will master this infernal contraption and you will lose."

Score sighed. He was starting to wish he never taken that bet with Helaine.

His mind wandered off to that morning. Things had started innocently enough that day. Helaine had slipped into her "nobler-than-thou" attitude, for the first time in months, and Score was hardly ammused. Angry words flew as the two bickered.

"I don't give a rat's ass, Helaine. When all's said and done, my abilities exceed yours."

"Oh? Making a fool of yourself hardly counts," she retorted.

Score simply smiled. "I can ride a bike. Something you'll never be able to do."

That was it. Helaine was furious. She never was one to accept defeat. "I can learn to do anything you can, Earth-boy."

"Wanna bet?", was Score's reply.

Famous last words.

Somehow or another they finally agreed on the terms of the bet. If Score won, Helaine had to wear one of her Oridinian dresses for a month. She could not wear any of her armor, chain mail, or weapons. Score himself, would pick out the dress. He already had images of Helaine in the frilliest, most confining dress ever designed by human hands.

Of course, the consequences of defeat were just as unpleasant for Score. Helaine chose the same conditions for Score. If she learned how to ride a bike, then he would have to wear the dress of her choice.

Other terms were also settled, such as a magic taboo on Earth. That way, neither one could cheat. Helaine couldn't magically steady herself on the bike, and Score couldn't magically tip her over. Pixel agreed to retrieve them from Treen, but no more. "I'm staying out of this one!" he had said, and wished them both good luck.

When Helaine first gazed at the unstable vehicle Score had purchased, (Helaine had refused to allow Score to "borrow" a bike), she looked doubtful.

Showing off, Score easily hopped on and (literally) rode circles around Helaine. The girl-warrior still looked uneasy.

"What? Don't tell me you're chickening out? Even babies can ride bicycles."

Helaine became indignant. "I was not, as you call it, 'chickening out'. Hand me the contraption," she demanded. "I am going to win this bet."

Score smiled. It was so easy to goad Helaine on sometimes.

***End of Flashback***

For what seemed to be the millionth time that day, Helaine toppled over and landed hard on the pavement. Her jeans and T-shirt, (Earth clothes Score insisted she wear), were ripped and numerous bruises and scrapes on her arms and legs from the day's attempts were visible. Many of which were still bleeding.

Score was starting to get worried. If Helaine kept this up, all she was liable to do was hurt herself worse.

"It's okay, Helaine. Let's call the bet off." He laughed good-naturedly " I didn't even think you'd get this far."

The minute the words came out of Score's mouth, he regretted them.

"And what is that supposed to mean?", accused Helaine. I would hope he had more faith in me than that, Helaine thought to herself.

"Face it, Helaine. You can't ride a bike. The farthest you've gone is five feet!"

"If you can master this thing, so can I."

Helaine mounted the bicycle once more. The bicycle wobbled to the right, then the left, then right again, but remained upright. Eventually it straightened to an almost steady position.

Even Score was impressed, until he saw where Helaine was heading-- over a hill. And he had never showed her how to break!

Before Score could reach Helaine to stop her, she had gone over.

Oh no Score thought, desperately running after the runaway bicycle.
Pedestrians were dodging left and right as Helaine accelerated uncontrollably down the hill.

A group of children near the foot of the hill had their backs to Helaine, unaware of the oncoming rider. Helaine's sixth sense kicked in, and she managed to swerve the bike away--only to send it head first into a tree.

On impact, Helaine flipped head first over the bicycle. She was prostrate on the ground, unmoving.

Score ran to Helaine's side, scared out of his mind. Gently, he turned Helaine over. Slowly, Helaine opened her eyes, and struggled to an upright position. She was shaking slightly from the experience, and having the breath knocked out of her wasn't helping.

Score hugged her fiercely.

"You're okay!" He pulled away slightly to give her a thourgh search with his eyes. " You are okay, aren't you?"

Helaine nodded.

Score took a deep breath, unwilling to let go of her. When he saw her slam into that tree and lie there ---so motionless-- his heart stopped. In that instant Score realized how much she meant to him. Sure, they bickered a lot and enjoyed stomping on each others nerves, but there was no mistaking that they cared for each other.

He looked her over again to make sure she was all right. He knew how stubbornly she would deny any injury, especially in situations where pride was at stake.

Her deep blue eyes starred back at him unwavering. Her long hair, which had been neatly tied back, had come undone --delicately framing her face. Her chest heaved up and down as she tried to regain her breathe and composure.

God, she's beautiful he thought, shocked at his late discovery. Why hadn't he ever noticed before? Score turned his face away, unable to face his own growing feelings for her, and the guilt he felt at having driven her to do something she clearly didn't want to do. He had nearly gotten her killed.

Helaine continued to shake. Not just from the wild ride, but from the unexpected feelings she got from being held by Score.

When they had locked eyes, and she saw his genuine concern, it took Helaine completely off guard. She took a good look at the friend she thought she knew. He was out of that awkward adolescent phase most teenagers went through. He was no longer the skinny 'wimp' she had met on Treen, but a handsome young man frantically looking her over for the slightest harm.

He had turned his face away from hers, and she could sense that something was troubling him. Despite her unwillingness to break the tenderness of the moment, she spoke upon seeing his stricken face.

"I'm alright," she said, her voice strained and unconvincing. It barley came out above a whisper.

Reluctantly, Score released his hold on her and helped her stand up. To his surprise, Helaine didn't push away his aide or give him a dirty look. He wasn't sure whether to be pleased or alarmed.

"I'm sorry, Helaine. I never meant for this to happen."

Helaine managed to give him a smile and shrugged.

"My point was proven. I can learn. Sort of. And bicycles are dangerous."

Score laughed, the tension gone.

"Yeah, but only when you ride them."

Helaine cocked an eyebrow at Score, debating whether to ignore the comment or to allow herself to get annoyed.

"Willing to call it a draw?" Score asked, clearly trying to make a truce.

Helaine smiled. "Agreed."

The two walked side-by-side back to the rendezvous point, the mangled bicycle forgotten.


A/N: Well, what do you think? Hate it? Love it? Email me at luna_314@hotmail.com. Your comments are always welcome (as long as they don't include threats or swearing). ~~Luna
Chapter 2

Back to The Archive