Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter 4

Disclaimer:  I don’t own Diadem, no matter how much I may wish otherwise. J 

 

 

 

            Score slowly opened his eyes, and immediately felt the glare of the morning sun.  He sat up, and the first thing he saw was Helaine, already awake, and deep in thought.  Suddenly all his worries came rushing back to him.  How were they going to defeat Dironal?  And even if they did, was there a way to reverse the spell that had allowed Dironal to enter Pixel’s body?  Score was pretty sure Helaine hadn’t even thought about

that yet, and though he really wanted some answers, Score decided it was better not to worry her with that until the time came.

            Helaine didn’t notice Score was awake until he stood up and stretched.  As he did, she looked up at him and smiled, “It lives,” she said.

            Score nodded, then sat down beside Helaine.  “What are you doing?” he asked, putting his arm around her.  He knew she wouldn’t mind, but it still felt awkward. 

            Helaine sighed.  “I’m just trying to think of a plan.  The longer we leave Pixel trapped with that creep Dironal, the more nervous I get.  But I know we can’t go running in there without a plan.  It’s just frustrating.”

            “I know what you mean,” Score said.  “Plus, this is twice as hard, since Dironal has your Book of Magic.  But there has to be a way.”

            Helaine put her head on Score’s shoulder.  “Oh, I know there’s a way,” she said.  “But the question is, can we find it?”

            Just about then, Oracle appeared in his usual black clad form, and with one eyebrow raised at Helaine and Score’s present positions.

            “Did I miss something?” he asked, grinning.

            “Oracle!” Score yelled, jumping up and causing Helaine to nearly fall on her face.  “Long time no see!”

            “I’ve just been enjoying my freedom,” he said.  “But I heard you’ve managed to get yourselves into a little trouble, so I thought I’d pop by for a visit.”

            Score rolled his eyes.  “A little trouble?”

            “I assume you understand our current dilemma?”  Helaine asked Oracle, hopefully.

            “I do,” Oracle said slowly.  “And I may just know the solution to your problem.  A certain spell I learned back in my days with the Triad.  It’s supposed to remove imposing essences from unwilling hosts.  But it’s complicated, and you’ll need Dironal’s body and a few other supplies from the castle.”

            “Sounds great,” Score said.  “Just one problem.  We don’t know where Dironal left his body.”

            Oracle shrugged his shoulders.  “Just ask Pixel.”

            “Pixel won’t know either,” Score said.  “Dironal took over Pixel’s body after he had stashed his own.”

            Helaine looked up.  “But maybe since they’re sharing the same body, and assumedly the same brain, Pixel could somehow find the information inside Dironal’s mind.”

            “Whatever,” Score said, shaking his head.  “This is all getting a little too complicated for my taste.”

            “Okay then,” Helaine said, clapping her hands together.  “This is the plan.  Score and I will figure out where Dironal left his body.  Meanwhile, Oracle, you go to the castle and get together the ingredients we’ll need for the spell.  Then, go to Shanara’s place and make sure you’ve got the spell right.  When we’re all finished, everybody meets back right here, okay?”

            “Yeah, yeah,” Oracle grumbled.  “I guess it’s back to work.”

            Helaine grinned.  “You’d better believe it.  We’ve finally got a plan.”

 

            Don’t you ever sleep? Pixel asked Dironal.  As usual, the magician didn’t even bother with an answer.  Pixel didn’t think he would, but he was exhausted.  Dironal had stayed up all night reading and rereading that spell to steal magic.  The problem was that Pixel couldn’t seem to sleep unless Dironal did, and at this point that didn’t seem to be in his agenda.

            Suddenly, Pixel heard Helaine’s voice in his head.  *Pixel?* 

            Pixel immediately perked up, excited to have something to do.  *Helaine?  Oh, thank goodness.  I’m going insane.  This guy won’t even let me sleep.  Please tell me you’ve got a plan.*

            *We do.  Luckily, Oracle showed up and told us about a spell that should help.  But, to do the spell, we need Dironal’s body.  Do you know where he was when he transferred himself into the statue?*

            *Sorry, no.* Pixel said.  *I didn’t see it before he took over my body.  I don’t even know what he really looks like.*

            *Well, can’t you try to look?* Helaine asked.  *I mean, you’re sharing the same brain.  And if he can read your memories, you should be able to read his, right?*

            *I guess I can try,* Pixel said.  *Hold on.*

            Then, Pixel began to concentrate.  He imagined he could see a building that held all of Dironal’s thoughts and memories.  Then he imagined walking over to the door and opening it.  The only problem was, the door wouldn’t budge.  Pixel pushed and pulled, but nothing happened until he lost patience and began to bang on it with his fist.  Then, he heard Dironal’s voice again. 

            What are you doing?  Stop that!

            Then, suddenly, Pixel was thrown back from the door.  As he watched, a brick wall formed over the door, then a steel plate was bolted over that.  Then, the building and door vanished and everything was back to normal.  Pixel felt incredibly drained.  He felt like he could hardly manage to speak to Helaine anymore.  In fact he felt almost transparent.  Like he was fading.

            *Helaine?  I tried, but it didn’t work.  He did something and blocked me out.  I’m sorry.*

            *It’s okay, Pixel, at least you tried.  By the way, why do you sound so far away?*

            Pixel hesitated.  He wasn’t sure if he was just being paranoid.  *Helaine, I feel like I’m… disappearing.  Like the longer I’m in Dironal’s body, the more I become…him.  Like Pixel is slowly fading away, and all that’s left is Dironal.  Do you think I’m just imagining things?*

            Helaine was silent for a long time.  Pixel was just about to start worrying when she said, *It’s all in your imagination Pixel.  You’ve just been under Dironal’s control for so long that it’s starting to get to you.  But we’ll be there as soon as we can, and we’ll find another way to get to Dironal’s body.*

            *Okay,* Pixel said, reassured.  *Bye.*

            *Bye,* Helaine said, then she broke the connection.  Score was standing right beside her, looking concerned.

            “So,” he said.  “Did Pixel find out where Dironal’s body is?”

            “Unfortunately, no,” Helaine said, rubbing her hands over her eyes.  “And Score?”

            “Yeah?”

            “I think we have a problem.”

 

            After Helaine explained to Score her theory on what was happening to Pixel, they both decided that they’d better find Dironal’s body, and fast.

            “You don’t think he’s really beginning to disappear, do you?” Score asked uncertainly.

            “I’m not sure,” Helaine said.  “But I figure it’s best not to take any chances.  We need to get this done, and fast.”

            “Okay,” Score said.  “But do you have any idea of where to find Dironal’s body?  I mean, obviously getting help from Pixel isn’t going to work.”

            “Well, since the unicorns were the first creatures on Dondar to have any contact with Dironal, and since it’s them he made the statue for, I’m guessing that the best place to start is going to be on their lands.  I’ll contact them and ask them to meet us in front of the castle, then we can all spread out and search different areas,” Helaine said.

            “Sounds good,” Score replied.

            After contacting the unicorns, Helaine and Score hurried back to the castle.  The unicorns were there waiting for them when they arrived. 

            *Helaine,* Flame said as soon as the Score and Helaine were in sight.  *What’s going on?*

            After Helaine explained the situation to the unicorns, they agreed to help in any way possible.

            *Luckily I brought along a few other unicorns,* Thunder said.  *That way we can search more areas.  I suggest we split up into groups of two.  Score and Helaine, Nova and I, Flame and Dustdevil, and so on.*

            After that Thunder proceeded to assign each group a different area to search.  Normally, Helaine would have objected to someone suddenly taking over.  But now, it was actually a relief.  She could sit back and let someone else worry about what to do.

            Once Thunder had given each group a region to search, all the groups headed out.  Helaine promised to contact Thunder if she or Score found anything, and then they were off.  They made their way quickly through the woods, careful to search everywhere.

            “Score?” Helaine began as she picked her way through several thorn bushes.

            “Yeah?”

            “Do you think Pixel is going to be okay?” she asked.

            “Of course I do.”

            “No,” Helaine said in exasperation.  “I don’t want you to be saying it just to make me feel better.  I need you tell me what you really think.”

            Score stopped and stared at Helaine.  “That is what I really think.  Helaine, we have to keep believing that this is all going to work out.  I mean, if you’ve given up on Pixel already, then we might as well not even bother.  If you don’t truly believe that we’ll be able to save Pixel, then we won’t be able to.”

            But Helaine still looked uncertain.  Score sighed and quietly walked over to her, then gently put his arms around her.  She hugged him back, tightly. 

            “I just don’t know this time, Score,” she said, and Score could tell she was trying not to cry.

            Score quickly pulled back from her.  “No,” he said. 

            “What?” she asked, staring at him in confusion, her eyes shining from unshed tears.

            “No,” Score said, stepping back from her and shaking his head.  “I don’t need you to turn into a sissy girl now.  I need you to be Renald now.  I need you to take charge and do what you have to do, and to be sure of yourself.  And so does Pixel.”

            They just stood there for several minutes staring at each other, their looks almost challenging.  But finally, Helaine nodded. 

            “You’re right,” she said.  “This isn’t the time for me to break down.”  Then, she seemed to completely pull herself together, and in that old arrogant voice that Score had begun to know and love, she said, “Let’s look over here, and hurry it up.”

            She began to walk off, and Score started to follow, grinning.  But before he could, she turned around and gave him a quick kiss.  “And by the way, thanks,” she said, then turned and walked in the direction she had indicated.  Score smiled, then followed.

 

            After several hours of searching, they had found nothing.  It seemed they had searched the entire expanse of the unicorns’ herd lands, yet there was no sign of Dironal’s body.  Helaine and Score were about to head back to the castle when Score said, “What a minute.”

            “What?” Helaine asked irritably.

            “I’m sensing something.  I think it’s a large source of magic somewhere nearby,” Score said.  “Do you think it could be…?”

            Helaine grinned.  “I can feel it, too.  It’s coming from this direction.”

            Then they were both running through the forest, and suddenly they stopped.  They were standing right in front of a large cave. 

            “Okay, I’ve been to this area of the herd lands before, and this cave was never here.  And unless I’m mistaken, these things don’t just appear,” Score said, staring up at the huge stone structure.

            “No, they don’t,” Helaine said.  “This was put here, by powerful magic.”  Then, she stepped toward the entrance, but the second she began to walk through, there was a huge blue light, and the crackling of energy in the air.  Helaine was thrown backward by what appeared to be a powerful force field.

            Score hurried over to help her up, then turned toward the mouth of the cave.  “I’d be willing to bet his body is in there.  He must have put up the force field to protect it.”

            Helaine nodded, grimacing.  “But how do we get through?”

            Score shrugged, then conjured up a huge ball of fire, and through it experimentally at the cave entrance.  It crackled, and the blue light flared up again.  Then, Score walked over and tried to poke the force field with his finger.  It crackled, and he pulled back his finger quickly, but he wasn’t thrown into the air as Helaine had been.

            “Hey,” Helaine said.  “I think it is working.”  Then she conjured up her own ball of fire and tossed it at the force field.  It barely crackled this time.  When she tried to walk through, she met no resistance.

            Score followed her in.  “It’s obvious why this guy wanted ourmagic,” Score said as he looked around.  “Judging from that force field, he wasn’t all that powerful.”

            Helaine nodded, then said, “But look what he left us.”  She was pointing towards the center of the room.

            Lying on a raised stone pedestal was Dironal’s body.  He appeared to be an older guy, with balding gray hair, and the beginnings of a white beard.  His body was thin and weak looking.

            “Well, he’s obviously better off with Pixel’s body,” Helaine said, raising one eyebrow at the body on the pedestal.

            Score turned and looked at her.  “And what’s that supposed to mean?”

            Helaine smiled at him.  “Oh, is that jealousy I hear in your voice?”

            Score quickly looked away.  “No,” he said.  “I just meant… well, um…”

            “It’s okay,” Helaine said, trying to give him a break.  “I just meant that this guy looks like he’s about two hundred years old.  He may not have just wanted one of our bodies because of our power, he might have wanted to be young again.”

            Score nodded.  “That’s true.”  He was about to say something else, but at that moment he saw something moving out of the corner of his eye.  He quickly turned back to the body on the pedestal, and watched Dironal’s eyes open as he sat up.

To Chapter 5