"Know What You Want"

(Sequel To Learn The Hard Way)

Ch. 4

-- 5 Days Later - The Dance --

Brittney stood by a table on the left side of the huge hotel lobby that was rented for the dance. She was waiting for Dai'Mon to return with her drink, she was dressed in a long white gown, with two silver straps crossing her back, and her hair was up in a French roll with two lonely pieces of hair hanging in her face. She didn't know exactly who she was looking for but she saw it when she noticed Druex standing with a short blonde girl on his right, and his close friend Monica on his left. And he looked none to happy to be here tonight, honestly she was hoping he would show up, she wanted him to be here for some reason. She had Jerome, who had become more of a close friend than she had ever guessed he was, who was already dancing with his date Kris.

De'Mario was already sitting with his date, Kadeejia, another homecoming hopeful. He had searched forever for a date until Brittney introduced the two and he really seemed to be feeling her. They were watching Brittney look around nervously, 5 minutes before Homecoming Court would be announced. She became part of the court when Hope Morre dropped out the race. They were about to say something when they spotted Brittany and Jarrell, and Kadeejia was in awe of Brittany's perfect Navy blue tube dress.

Brittany walked over with a smile on her face, with Jarrell not far behind, "Hey look who just showed up."

Brittney tried to play off the fact that she couldn't take her eyes off him, "Yea I see him, he found a good date."

Jarrell looked over at Druex's date Liz, who was really not paying attention to Druex at all. Liz was 5'2, tanned, blonde hair, blue eyes and the sweetest girl you ever met but she had a huge crush on Marques who had taken her on the dance floor, "Yet but she would've been happier with Marq as a date anyways."

Brittney never got to reply because Dai'Mon came over just in time to see Druex looking at them, unfortunately Dai'Mon wasn't a bad guy just a jerk at times, he choose that very moment to wrap his arms around Brittney from behind. Brittney frowned a little and took her drink, she felt extremely uncomfortable in this position with Dai'Mon. Everyone was quiet as Tiraza and Omari made their way to the table, as usual Tiraza looked beautiful, and Omari looked amazing in a suit.

Omari looked over at Druex who was talking to his friend Monica, "So he showed up."

"Yea." Brittany said sitting down next to Tiraza who was trying her best not to get the punch on her pastel purple dress.

Druex slowly made his way to the table as Brittney wiggled her way out of Dai'Mon's embrace. Druex was awestruck, he thought she looked beautiful everyday, but today she looked amazing he almost fell out. He knew right then that no matter what girl he tried to be with, sexual or emotional, would ever compare to what he felt for her. He smiled at everyone around the table but he made his way slowly to Brittney, never once taking his eyes off her.

Brittney's breath got caught in her throat, her eyes never once left Druex's, though Dai'Mon was standing beside her his hand was still on her back she stepped up just a little as Druex stood in front of her, "Hi."

"You look beautiful...Miss Homecoming Queen." Druex replied taking her hand, kissing it, he wanted to kiss her but that would be pushing it.

"I haven't won yet." Everyone at the table watched and listened as the two former lovers forgot everyone around them.

Just before either of them could say a word Liz came and pulled him away leaving Brittney to close her eyes tightly wishing she could disappear, "Um Brittany could I see you in the bathroom...now."

The two girl walked quickly toward the bathroom through the crowd of dancing students, and homecoming hopefuls. They stepped into the bathroom ignoring the girls that remain in the bathroom, Brittney looked at herself in the mirror before saying, "What is wrong with me?"

Brittany checked out her perfect blue dress before turning to her friend, "Huh? Not a damn thing! Homecoming is being announced in 5 minutes and your asking what's wrong with you! Hold up! What the hell is wrong with you?"

Brittney turned around pulling out a paper towels dabbing around her eyes, "His name is Druex Pierre Fredricks."

"Oh," Brittany smiled standing in front of her friend knowing exactly what was going through her friends mind, "you finally missin him eh?"

"Like hell! And I'm glad he's here but I'm also nervous...I even feel bad for coming with Dai'Mon." Brittney replied pulling on the white gloves that Brittany had spent hours trying to make her buy.

Brittany linked her arm with Brittney's, "Oh Come on, have a little fun, sooner or later you will get over this whole Druex thing."

"Yea...let's go." Brittney replied walking out the bathroom door her arm still linked with Brittany's.

They had just walked over to the table when the principal called for all the homecoming nominees. The ballots had been taken during school a week before the dance, so a teacher laid all the homecoming sash's over the hopefuls and tried to quiet the students.

"The time has come to announce this year's Homecoming Queen & King, but first let me proudly introduce your Homecoming Court." The principal Mrs. Beard said loudly into the microphone only to ignite a cheer out of the students.

Mrs. Beard stepped over to the hopefuls, asking that they all step up when called, "First Kadeejia Williams and Jermee Harvey...", they stepped up and their were scattered claps and screams, "Astin Washington and Jerell Bryant..." not many people clapped for this pair, "Tiraza Wright & Jordan Jones...", a lot of people screamed and applauded for this pair, "Sara Coleman and Steven Sarel...," some scattered people applauded this couple, "Kristin Bless and Chris White..." no one clapped for this pair, and finally the couple most were waiting for, "Brittney Parker and Dai'Mon Douglass."

As the principal waited for the football players, along with girls who loved Dai'Mon, and everybody at Brittney's table to settle down, "Now let's announce the court first: second runner up...Sara Coleman & Steven Sarel."

Everyone applauded as the obvious bottle blonde pair stepped up and took their sashes, "First runner up...Tiraza Wright and Jordan Jones!"

Out everyone who stood up and cheered you could hear Omari the loudest, even as Mrs. Beard continued, "Now to announce your Homecoming King and Queen, I and the rest of the Northside faculty are proud to present...Brittney Parker and Dai'Mon Douglass!"

The whole lobby erupted in applause and cheers as the crown & tiara were laid on their heads. Mrs. Beard moved back to present the King & Queen to the students, Brittney looked around at her best friends who were screaming and clapping wildly and her eyes found Druex's. The smile on his face showed nothing but the proud feeling he felt at that moment, she smiled a smile just for him and he smiled right back at her. Brittney adverted her eyes as the music started and Dai'Mon lead her out to the floor.

All the students circled around the Queen & King as they danced to Ginuwine, Dai'Mon held her close as they moved in sync to the soft melody of the music. She closed her eyes for a split second trying to feel even happier, she had tears in her eyes but not for the reason some would guess. It wasn't because she had just won something she had never dreamed of winning, it was because of something totally different.

-- 60 Minutes Later --

Brittney walked outside into the warm night air leaning on the walk breathing in and out tiredly, she had dance 8 songs with Dai'Mon, 3 with Chub, 2 with Jarrell, 1 with Jerome and she was beat. She had slowly excused herself from everyone else to get some fresh air. Plus she about to go crazy being that close Druex, he and Liz had danced maybe twice, and he had spent the rest of the time drinking the obviously spiked punch while watching Brittney dance.

She was wiping at her neck with a paper towel when Druex walked out the door walking in front of her like he didn't see her, "Congratulations."

Brittney looked at him from behind wishing he would come closer but hoping he'd go away, "Thanks."

Druex turned to look at her still standing at the far edge of the sidewalk, his hand in his pocket and the other holding a cup, "So...did you enjoy your Royal dance?"

"It was OK." She replied trying her best not to make eye contact with him, but wanting to look at him closer, she hadn't been close to him in ten days. Maybe not a long time in reality but it felt like forever when you are away from someone you love.

Druex shook his head looking all over then back at her, "I thought you wanted a black dress?"

Brittney looked down at her dress thoughtfully, she had mentioned that she wanted a black dress when she had been announced as a candidate two months earlier, "Well my best friend wanted me in a white dress."

"I just um damn...I really wanted you to have a good time. I mean it's your senior year and you are on the Homecoming court, what could be better? Besides the fact you are the queen, it was just really important to me that you enjoy your night. By the way you look tyte in the tiara." Druex smiled looking back at the street wanting to walk away because he thought maybe she could hear his heartbeat.

Brittney smiled touching the tiara she slowly stepped toward him so she was standing right beside him, she had almost forgotten about Akira after days and days of her mother and sister's crazy ass theory's, "So why didn't you just come with Monica?"

"Because Liz asked, Monica on the other hand just told me to find a date because she was planning to dance with Jerell Bryant the whole night. Which she is, and Liz asked you know so, she was the only person that asked and she's a nice girl you know." Druex replied his words slowly slurring together, making him sound like a repetitive fool, looking over at her for a moment before taking a huge gulp out of the punch.

Brittney snatched the cup out of his hands and threw the punch and the cup on the ground, "Yes she is, alcohol is NOT your friend Druex."

Druex shook his head looking at the cup on the ground, he had only been drinking to drown his sorrows. But it only seemed like the more he drank the worse his headache got and the more she glowed in his eyes, "Your right alcohol is nothing but the way to unhappiness."

Brittney knew as to what he was referring to, she had wanted to say one thing to him for ten days now and she was about to take that chance, "I'm sorry Druex, I was angry but I didn't have the right to hit you."

He didn't say anything for a minute he just looked up at the sky closing his eyes, "I hope you know if you hadn't won you would've been my queen regardless."

Before she could say a word he turned around and walked back into the hotel, she didn't move to run after him she just stood there letting the tears finally run down her face. She had just realized how much Druex had hurt himself along with her. Even though she still was pained at the thought of his sleeping with Akira, she was pained even more at the thought of them both being hurt. At first she had struggled with her anger to keep him in her thoughts as a vulture, but now she had finally saw through the red to realize he was just a little puppy, still learning. She knew now what her mother had said was right, 'You can't just give up on the first test, I mean you have to take the bad to get the good.'

Chapter 5
Feedback