"Learn The Hard Way"

Ch. 4


Brittney sat on the floor holding her little nephew, a bottle in his mouth, and the phone on her ear. She was waiting for Jerome to stop by like he did every weekend, her brothers and his stupid friends were in the den. And Jarrell and Druex had went somewhere in her truck.

She was talking to her girl best friend, Brittany, who she met at her old private school. Brittany was much like her except she wore glasses, was 5'5 two inches taller than her, had light Carmel skin while Brittney was about Jarrell's color. She had long brownish-reddish hair like Ashanti's length, and she had an athletic build. They were just as inseparable as Brittney and Jarrell.

"So where's Rell?" Brittany asked, she had liked Jarrell since the day she had met him.

"Somewhere in my truck with his friend." Brittney replied and smiled at the baby, she looked at the little body wondering could this be the one thing to slow her sister down.

Brittany laughed, "You don't know where?"

"Nope." Brittney replied standing up, trying to burp the baby. She always wanted a child but it was like this was a lesson she need to keep her from going out there and becoming a mother.

Brittany shook her head at her best friend, school was boring without her there, and it took the black count from 6 to 5, "You must really trust him, so is that the friend that so much happened with last night?"

Brittney opened the back door and walked out on to the patio, sitting in a chair, " Yep, so let's away from him, how was Envy last night?"

"Off da chain as usual. But Chub wasn't worth shit last night, he mad cuz you canceled and some hoes from NS, Raghlei, & TGH was all up in his grill, and he wasn't have no kind of fun." Brittany replied looking in her closet looking for an outfit.

Brittney laughed, and kissed her nephew, "Girl, I almost wanted to run to Envy, but I couldn't. Man, B, last night was drama, drama, drama. And you know this."

"Girl boo, I saw some niggas from NS last night named Omari and Mario, and one had this total dymne on his arm. I'm she was straight perfect, like Tyra Banks or something." She said pulling out her matching Baby Phat outfit.

"Did you say Omari and Mario?" Brittney asked wiping the baby's mouth as he squirmed she sat him in his playpen which was sitting out in the grass.

"Yep, one was light skinned with some pretty a-lips, and the other one was dark skinned but with the dymne." Brittany replied thinking about which one was which until she was sure.

"Oh, yea, they hang with Rell and Druex." Brittney said smiling as her brother walked out and picked the baby up.

"Hold on B," She said to Brittany looking at Jayson, "Nigga where you takin Rishon?"

"In the house to chill with the niggas, and while he's with us you can go put some clothes on." Jayson replied holding the baby and looking over Brittney's outfit. She was wearing an Old Navy Mini with a fitting white Allen Iverson Jersey, and some AI 3's.

Brittney hit Jayson in the arm, "Nigga I got some clothes on, you know I'm going out with Brittany later. And you are not taking Rishon in there with them weed smokin hoodrats."

"You know we ain't smokin here Britt, " He argued handing Rishon to her, "tell Brittany I said what up."

"Well, they still to ghetto for him to be around them, " Brittney replied picking the phone back up, "B, Jayson said what up."

"Yea, tell him I said hey." Brittany said pulling on her low-waisted jeans.

"She said hey, now go back to your wannabes before they kill themselves or each other." Brittney said pushing him into the house.

"So did you just say they hang with Jarrell?" Brittany asked stopping her pursuit of a perfect shirt.

Brittney laughed bouncing Rishon, her girl had been crushing Jarrell from day one, "Yea, so do you think they are finer than Rell?"

"Man Britt you know ain't no body finer than Jarrell Houston to me! Don't play." Brittany laughed as she thought of the boy she had a crush on since the third grade, when they met at Brittney's birthday party.

Brittney looked down the driveway to see a Red 2002 Thunderbird Covetable come up her driveway, with it's 22's and it's tented windows she knew it was Jerome. "Hey B, Rome here call me when you on you way."

"Aiight girl, good luck holla." Brittany said about to hang her phone up.

"Thanks holla." Brittney said hanging her phone up, and watching the fine ass man that was her ex get out his car.

Jerome smiled as he stepped out of his clean ass car, dressed in some Fubu shorts, white K-Swiss, and a blue Fubu shirt. And his sunglasses, "Hey B, wuz up?"

She smiled and just held Rishon, holding on to him wouldn't force her to feel his arms around her again, "Nothin, Rome."

Brittney tried not to react as he kissed her on the cheek and sat down on the other side of the table and she did the same, "Oh, let me hold the baby for a minute."

She handed Rishon to him and she had never seen anything as adorable as Jerome holding Rishon. They looked like they could be father and son, Rishon was high yellow with a thick head of hair that his mother had painstakingly braided, and his little eyes were like gray.

Brittney noticed his newly braided hair and trying to unnerve herself she asked, "So who did your hair?"

"Nikki Maclin, you know Tracy's sister." He replied while Rishon had his finger and was pulling it with all his little might.

"Yea, so how was your night?" She asked looking from him and over to Jarrell house, hoping he would come back soon.

Jerome sighed and let Rishon play with his glasses, "My night, it was aiight. Nothin big happened, we went to Marq's party, stayed for a little bit, then went to Keshia's party over on Richmont, and then we went to Envy for a couple hours."

"Cool, hope you had a good time." Brittney said trying to force a fake smile on.

"You know I don't like this seeing other people thing, Xavier called me at Envy last night talking 'bout some young nigga tryin to blow up my spot. What is that?" Jerome asked frowning at Brittney while he bounced Rishon on his knee.

Brittney rolled her eyes at him, and looked at her fingers thinking of her next manicure, "Oh, it's cool for you to be with Alexi, but I can't have someone new in my life? Real fair Rome, real fair."

"I told you about Alexi, and you said it was aiight! You don't even tell me about this nigga, and Xabo said he was at the house too, come on B!" Jerome replied raising his voice then looking down at Rishon he lowered his voice.

Brittney turned to her pure anger on her face, and her eyes were flaming, "First of all their ain't no other nigga, it was me Dreux and Jarrell here last night and we watched a movie that's it. You need to check yo' boy and ask why was he here in the first place. And we agreed that we would see other people, and I have told you over and over again I don't care what you think 'cause yo spot is up for grabs."

Jerome exhaled loudly, looking at her sadly, "I thought you loved me?"

Brittney stood up and walked over to the ledge that surrounded the pond and sat down pulling at her skirt, "I do J, you know that, but we gotta stop this. You know nothing good is going to come out of it if we try again, why can't you just leave me alone?"

Jerome stood up baby in tow and sat right beside her sitting the baby on his leg after sat, "Because in my whole life with my "black prestigious family", a successful doctor mother and a successful businessman father, I never had much love. Until I met you, and I got so much love, and you were all I ever really wanted. I realize that no matter where we are or how far apart we are I'm always going to love you. That's why I can't just go a way and leave you alone."

Brittney smiled and took his free hand, "I know J, I know, that's how I feel too but we can't be together. And that I know you know, I'm not who your whole life is supposed to end with. And you aren't that for me either, but we can always love each other and be there for each other. I'm not perfect Jerome and my whole life you have treated me like I was perfect and for that I will always hold you in my heart. But we shouldn't do this to each other anymore."

He leaned over and kissed her softly and slowly, like it was for the last time, "Brittney you don't understand you were the only truly perfect thing in my life."

Brittney smiled wanting to kiss him again, "So we agree no more of this?"

"No more, you're hurting, and I'm hurting, so no more." Jerome replied squeezing her hand, it was like the last and final good bye.

They sat that way for the next few minutes, not moving, not speaking, until they heard her truck pull up beside his Thunderbird. Druex and Jarrell stepped out looking at the two strangely, Jerome looked up, "Hey Rell, Dreux."

"Wat up." Jarrell replied handing Brittney the keys, wondering what was going on with her and Jerome.

"Wat up Rome." Dreux replied, his stomach felt weird seeing the two this close. They looked like a little family, Jerome, Brittney, and the baby. And for some reason the way her eyes looked like they were fighting a thousand tears left him eager to get closer to her.

Jerome stood up and handed Rishon to Brittney, "Ima go, walk me to da car B?"

"Yea." She replied standing up and taking his hand as he lead them to his car.

Jerome turned to her and kissed lightly on the cheek, pulling her into another hug, almost smushing the baby, "Bye B, I love you."

"I love you too, be happy." Brittney tried to smile as he got in his car and rolled down the window.

"You too B, bye Rishon." Jerome replied putting on his glasses and backing out the driveway.

Brittney took a deep breath and held Rishon close to her and turned back to Jerrell and Dreux. She tried her best to avoid his eyes as she walked back toward them, but every time she looked up his eyes were all she saw.

Jarrell reached for Rishon but Druex got to him first, "Can I hold him?"

"Sure." Brittney replied handing him the baby, Dreux just started playing with him making Rishon giggle.

Druex turned to her as Rishon found pleasure out of pulling his braids, "What his name?"

"Rishon Amir Parker, meaning The First Prince." Brittney smiled watching her nephew smile like she did the first time she touched his braids.

Jarrell sat next to her at the patio table, "So what happened?"

"We decided to leave it alone, for good. No more checking dates with each other, no more late night phone calls, no more little kisses, no more visits, no more anything together. We ended it for real, after years together, we now we aren't each other's future." She said turning toward him, he sat there quietly for a moment not saying anything, Jarrell's eyes looked over at Druex who was quietly eyeing Brittney.

Druex sat between the two, and Jarrell was about to speak when the phone rang. "Hello?" He answered.

"Is this Jayson?" Brittany asked over her cell on her way over to Brittney's.

"No, this is Jarrell, who is this?" He asked thinking he knew that voice on the other end.

"This is Brittany." She smiled tapping the steering wheel to Ashanti.

"Hey Bri! Girl, what's up?" He asked, not only did she like him, he liked her.

"Nothing just on my way over, so tell yo girl to be ready, I'm almost there. Holla." She replied hanging up she need to grin like a fool for a minute.

Jarrell smiled hanging up the phone, "Britt, B, said she was on her way so be ready. Where are ya'll going?"

"Shopping." Brittney answered simply, taking Rishon in the house to change him, and Jarrell and Druex followed.

Brittney stood with her back to him, and took all he had not go over there and wrap his arms around her, "Can me and Rell tag a long?"

"Yea why not, ya'll can watch Rishon while we try on stuff." Brittney smiled back at him while she changed Rishon's diaper.

"Hey Rell!" Brittany smiled as she stepped into the house, as soon as he saw her he pulled her into a hug. He stepped back a minute a looked at her, her long hair was in a ponytail, and she was in some low-waisted whisker flares, and a red halter top with 'Princess' on it with blue Rhinestones.

"Lookin good Brittany." He smiled as grinned, she was feelin him, and she heard Rishon cry a little and she ran over there.

Brittney and Brittany both looked at each, Brittany talked to Rishon, Brittney turned to Druex, "And your not gonna introduce yourself because?"

Druex smiled and walked up to Brittany, "I'm Druex Friedricks."

Brittany raised her eyebrows as she looked at the fine man in front of her and back at her best friend, "Brittany, with an A, I'm her best friend. Nice to meet you."

"You too." Druex smiled, she was a lot like Brittney when she smiled but some where that complete attraction that he felt for Brittney didn't appear.

Jarrell whispered something to Druex and Brittany looked over at Brittney, "Tell me how in the hell did you NOT kiss him? Three time? Come on Britt, I thought I taught you better!"

Brittney laughed sitting Rishon on her hip and turning to look at Druex and Jarrell, "I don't know, but I'm not goin to either. I heard him say that I wasn't his type so Ima stay with that."

"Don't B, he could be frontin." Brittany replied smiling at Jarrell, who was staring at her.

Brittney looked at Jarrell then looked at Brittany, "OK, then when are gonna tell Jarrell?"

Brittany stood up straight and glanced at Brittney, "Girl, it's up to you, if you don't want to don't! You know I would NEVER try to talk you into it! Ever!"

All she could do was laugh, Druex and Jarrell made their way over to them, "Are ya'll coming with us?"

"Yea." Druex said looking at her intently, he couldn't move his eyes, he felt like he did yesterday when they were alone at the kitchen table.

"OK, " Brittney replied not looking away until the phone rang, "hello?"

"Hi baby!" Her mothers voice came happily over the phone.

"Hey ma, how's the trip?" Brittney asked looking over at Brittany."

"Good baby, we got in late that's why I didn't call. Your father, me, Carolyn and Darrell all went dancing! We stayed out till 3 and our feet are killing us!" Theresa smiled happily remembering the night before.

"Good I'm glad you are having a good time." Brittney smiled as Jarrell and Brittany started flirting again.

Theresa smiled, "I am, we all are, how are you? How was your night? Where is Jayson?"

She laughed at her mothers endless questions, not forgetting why her mother and Carolyn were best friends, "I'm aiight, my night was OK, and at this moment Jayson is in the den with his boys."

"Good, good, are with Rishon? Have you spoken to Jarrell? Carolyn said she called him this morning but I was just wondering." Theresa asked not slowing her pace at all.

"Yes'm Rishon's right here, actually Jarrell is here right now." Brittney replied catching his attention.

"OK, I'm gonna let you go, I'm gonna call Jayson's cell, you kiss Rishon for me and be good. I love you." Theresa said finally slowing everything down.

"I love you ma ." Brittney replied ending the conversation with her Mom waiting for her dad to get the phone.

"Hi angel." Steve said taking the phone from his wife.

"Hi daddy, what's up." Brittney smiled, she loved her Mom but there was no one like her daddy.

"Nothing angel, being good?" He asked his baby girl.

She laughed at the question that he had asked her every evening since she could remember, "As always, me, Brittany, Rell, and his friend Druex about to go shopping."

If Jayson, Steve, or any other man who loved Brittney had've seen the way Druex was eyeing her he wouldn't have that cocky smile anymore, Brittney eyed him back as her dad replied, "With what money angel?"

"Daddy come on! You know I got 100 dollars from Isabelle last week, and then I got the credit card that you got me." Brittney said, she was talking about a credit card he gave her because he never used his.

"I know angel. OK, so I'm gonna let you go have fun." He smiled.

"I will, love you too daddy, bye." Brittney replied smiling at Brittany who was rolling her eyes.

"Love you too, angel, bye." Steve said hanging up the phone.

Brittney turned back to them, "OK we can go now."

"Damn you are definitely are a daddy's girl." Jarrell said Brittany agreed, somehow they were standing next to each other now.

"Shut up, who's car we goin in?" Brittney asked picking up her purse.

"Yours cause you got his car seat in there, but I'll drive." Jarrell said snatching her keys as he ran out the door as Brittany called shotgun.

Druex went over to Brittney as she tried to grab Rishon's stroller and carry him at the same time, all that moving made his fussy. "I'll take the stroller you just worry about him."

She smiled at him, forgetting about what happened between her and Jerome not 20 minutes ago, "Thank you."

Brittney held the door as Dreux carried the stroller to the truck, and by the time they got there Brittany was already in the front seat arguing with Jarrell about what CD, she strapped Rishon in, got in and noticed Druex playing with Rishon, and since he had Rishon had stopped, "I see you have a way with babies."

Jarrell was still arguing with Brittany when he replied, "Yea I like to think I do."

Brittney smiled and then turned to Jarrell, "Rell put in Eve's new one!"

Brittany smiled at her best friend as she pulled out Eve's 'Scorpion', "Put it on what?"

"14, you know." Brittney smiled as Jarrell groaned, 'You Ain't Gettin None' was one of them women power songs he hated. Druex started rappin as the song started Brittney and Brittany sang to Jarrell knowing he was going crazy.

Brittney and Brittany both looked at each other and got louder when they favorite part came on, "Fight you off gotta roll out but before I leave, You need know that dinner was lovely but I really gotta go."

Jarrell shook his head, "See ya'll let us get their but wanna leave us hangin that ain't even right!"

"Rell shut up you say that every time we listen to this!" Brittany said rolling her eyes at Jarrell who pulled out Ja Rule, but she put it back in the CD holder.

"Boy, I want some slow jams, fuck that I want some 112!" Brittany said pulling out 112's Room 112.

Brittney laughed at her best friend who loved that CD more any other CD from 1998. "Yea, go on and play yo song first then give me Crazy Over You."

"Nope I wanted to hear your song anyway." Brittany said as the first verse of the song came through the speakers, she could hear Jarrell sing the song, but out of no where she could hear another voice and it was Druex's. She didn't know he could sing, and let alone her song, her words her past. Jerome and her had mutually loved this song, and this was what they would put on repeat when they were alone.

Druex looked over at Brittney as he sang the song, she was singing under her breath looking out the window like she longed to be somewhere else. He almost didn't realize it, but he was singing to her.

The song ended with Brittany looking back at her, "Bring back memories huh?"

"Yea, but that's all yesterday Rome and I are part of that yesterday you know. So it's cool," Brittney smiled and then she looked over at Druex, "I didn't know you could sing."

"You heard me?" He asked kind of embarrassed, he knew every time the chorus came he would turn her way and kind of sing but he didn't think she could hear him.

She hit him in his arm, "Yep, you shouldn't be trying to keep that voice from me, you got me thinkin all you could was flow."

"THE FUN HAS ARRIVED!" Jarrell yelled as he parked, and they all stepped out laughing at his line from Tarzan.

Brittany took Jarrell's hand, "We are gonna split up, me and Rell, and you and Druex OK?"

Brittney looked at Druex he agreed as he put Rishon in the stroller, "Aiight, we meet back up in front of Steak Express."

"How long from now?" Jarrell asked unknowingly leaning on Brittany, Brittney gave herself a mental note to tell Jarrell to ask Brittany out.

"Page us when you're done." Druex said standing beside Brittney, Jarrell and Brittany went to start out by FYE, and Druex and her walked to the Entrance by Sears.

They walked in sync, she was pushing the stroller and he was walking close to her, "Sorry I had to bring Rishon."

Druex smiled at her, "Girl that's aiight, I like him, he kind of cute. Is he Jayson's?"

"Boy naw, he's my sister Isabelle's. Where do you want to start?" Brittney said stopping in front of Footaction. She noticed groups of girls eyeing Druex, he eyed some back but for some reason he looked back at her.

She laughed at him and he looked at her like she was crazy, "What?"

"Go spit Druex I know you want to." Brittney said about to walk into Footaction.

Druex turned up his nose shaking his head, "Actually I don't want to."

"What you aiight, those are what my best friend would call a top dymne." Brittney said as she walked into Footaction looking at the new Jordan's turning her nose up.

"Yea, they are tyte but I don't wanna holla, I like where I'm at right now." Druex smiled looking at her, she smiled and looked around again.

"I need that damn AI All-Star Jersey." She said looking around the store, but all she could find was the home and away Jerseys.

"So you a big basketball fan." He said pulling down a Kobe Bryant jersey. "And a AI fan too."

Brittney turned up her nose, "Yep, you Laker lover."

"Shut up Laker hata, here go that jersey you wanted." Druex replied finding one for her, they walked up to the register side by side.

"Stop, lets make a deal you buy the jersey's and we go to Foot Locker and I hook up the shoes?" Brittney said bending down to give Rishon a bottle.

Druex smiled looking at her legs, "Yea."

Druex handed the cashier the clothes, he couldn't have been no older than 20 because he said, "You gotta fine ass girl nigga, and a cute baby too."

Druex smiled almost saying yea, but he shook his head, "That ain't my baby nor my girl, but she is fine."

The cashier smiled nodding his head, "Ya, nigga, then I can holla nigga."

Druex took the bags and the change, "Naw, nigga you still can't holla."

They walked out the door, the cashier still giving them weird looks, Brittney looked back as they walked out, "Why he lookin at you like that?"

"He was talkin crazy." Druex said putting the change in his pocket.

"What he say?" She asked pushing the stroller in between people still noticing girls eye him.

"Said he wanted to holla." Druex replied shrugging his shoulders, rolling his eyes at a girl who reached out and touched his arm like that would make him stop.

Brittney looked at him like he was crazy, "Druex why is that crazy?"

He smiled at her and took the stroller from her, "Cause I don't want no nigga trying to holla when I'm around."

Brittney grinned rolling her eyes as they entered Footlocker, "So what you tryin to get Druex?"

"Some new Air Jordan's." He said picking one up, she shook her head handing him a 'And 1' shoe.

"No, no those are soo ugly! Get these, I got those already they are tyte." Brittney pleaded as the guy who always helps came over.

"Need some help?" He asked Brittney and Druex looked up to say no but Brittney knew him and smiled.

"Hey Mike!" She smiled hugging him.

"Britt whatch you doing back in here again? You were just here when Saturday." Mike replied hugging her then letting go.

"Yea, I came back to see if you had my white T-Mac's." Brittney said as he smiled at Rishon.

"Yep, and I remember your size in boys is 7, can I help your friend here?" Mike said looking at Druex.

Druex looked up with pure dislike on his face, he looked at the Jordan's and then at the 'And 1's, "Yea, I want a red pair of 'And 1's in 12."

"Aiight gotcha, just wait at the register and I'll be right there." Mike said walking into the back room.

They stood at the register and Druex turned to Brittney, "How do you know him?"

"That's my first cousin, his mama is my daddy's sister." She replied as Mike came out and she handed him her card.

He gave the bags with a smile, "Tell yo brotha I got him in poker tonight."

"Will do bye." Brittney smiled as Dreux pushed the stroller out.

"Where to now?" Druex asked pushing the stroller by another female who was eyeing him.

Brittney looked at the group of girls who were just trying to get Druex's attention and he looked honestly uninterested. "Druex why aren't you trying to holla at all those girls who tryin to get up on you jock?"

Druex smiled that beautiful smile at her, "I like who beside me right now."

Brittney shook her head grinning from ear to ear, she promised no messin around not flirting. "OK to FYE, let's play 10 questions."

"OK, I start then. Full name?" Druex asked looking over at her.

"Brittney Renee Parker, full name." She replied quickly.

"Druex Pierre Fredricks, favorite teams?"

"Yankees, 76ers, Rams, you?"

"Lakers, that's all you need to know. Artists?"

"Mary J.Blige, you?"

"Jay-Z, first love?"

"Jerome Isaac Jones, you?"

"Don't have one, kind of man you want?"

"A good man with a good heart, a nice smile, beautiful eyes, strong arms, and just likes to have fun. Your kind of girl?"

"Truthfully I want a cute girl, a sweet girl, a girl who's gone be my down ass bitch but still be a good girl. A girl I respect and still have fun with. Goal in life?

"Be happy, you?"

Druex smiled at that original answer, "Live a good life, got a man?"

"Not anymore, got a girl?"

"Nope, have you had that 'feelin, fo' real?"

"Thought I had but realized it wasn't real so no, you?"

"Wishing I that do soon, favorite place?"

"The ocean at sunset, yours?"

"In a woman's arms that I love," Druex was quiet for a minute before he asked his last question, "could you ever see yourself with someone like me?"

Brittney was surprised with that one but answered truthfully, "Yea I could, could you be with someone like me?"

"I'm starting to think so, to be straight truthful with you I know that is a yes." Druex replied walking into FYE, leaving Brittney stunned, she wasn't anticipating that.

Ch.5
Feedback?