"Popular Thug"

Chapter 8

(Two Months Later)

       It had been two long months since the trial started, nothing has gotten easier, the DA still threw the same questions and Druex had out witted him every time. But everyday he had gotten closer to where he wanted the case to go to. Mr. Evans had realized that he couldn't get them all life so in for a couple of years would have to do. And that is exactly what he was aiming to do.

       The entire court stood up watching as the judge and jury both filed out their rooms. Brittney watched the jurors faces as they looked at the five men who sat praying to themselves. Brittney now sat next to her father holding her breath. Today this whole, long, drawn-out, situation would be over. The Judge had given an order to the Jury to make a decision because the case was becoming way too complicated.

       And make a decision was exactly what they did.

       Druex had already told Brittney that he didn't think he'd get off without anything, which was exactly what her father told her.

       Mr. Evans looked around the court with an air of importance, he was expecting results, and that's what he planned to get.
      
       The tear welled up in her eyes as memories of Druex and her ran through her head. The Popular Thug had rescued her from everything that was threatening to happen to her, he had saved her from herself and her pain, and in return she loved him with all of her heart.

       The whole court sat, every soul virtually holding their breaths wishing for something that may, or may not, come true. Brittney had watched, for the past eight weeks, true friendship show it's self. Though all of the guys had been offered a plea bargain, in return for info on Jarell's part of the Watkin's murder, none of them took it. Each risking more than their expected possible five to ten years for a friend.

       The Judge turned to the jury and said solemnly, "Have You reached a verdict?"

       Brittney started to shake, feeling horrified, she did the only thing a girl could do, she took her father's hand. And she could hear Druex's voice in her head as the scene appeared to be going in slow motion.

      
"You know, I noticed something about you years ago, your loyalty, and that's somethin I admire. I would love to get to know you, gain your loyalty, and maybe your friendship."

      
Of course Druex got what he wanted, and a lot more, a tall Hispanic man dressed in a pair of black pants a sky blue sweater stood and addressed the court, "Yes, your honor, we have."

       
"I'm being so open because I know you're loyal and I believe you're trustworthy. I did know Cornell so it makes no difference who your father is."

       "Please, tell us your decision in The State Vs. Jarell Houston, on the accusation of the murder of Debo Watkins and with the affiliation of organized crime." The Judge replied as Jarell stood, his head hanging low, he knew he could be sentenced to Death Row faster than a speeding bullet.

       "Yea, it's just nice to be in the company of a real lady sometimes. "

       The man looked at Jarell and then back at the court, "In the case of The State Vs Jarell Houston, we find the accused guilty of murder of the first degree and all other accusations brought against him."

       The whole court was now gasping and whispering quite loudly, Brittney's hand flew to her mouth as tears threatened to fall. One down...three to go. She could still hear his voice in her head, she fought her tears as she thought of the night he sang to her.

      
Dreamers with empty hands may sigh for exotic lands;
       it's autumn in New York; it's good to live again.


       The Judge quieted the court as he addressed the man again, "Your decision on the matter of State Vs De'Mario Thorton on the accusation of affiliation of organized crime and affiliation with the death of Debo Watkins and second-degree murder of two other men, Michael Strong and Sean Bowers."

        "Brittney."


       The man looked at the accused and then back at him paper, "We find De'Mario Thorton guilty on two accounts, affiliation with organized crime and with both accounts of second-degree murder. We find him NOT guilty on the affiliation with the death of the third man."

       Brittney squeezed her eyes together tightly, trying to hold her tears in, her father had tightened his grip on her hand but it wasn't working. So far, Druex's fears were becoming a reality, everything was going downhill. His boy, his family, was going to die. Her mind thought of the day she felt his love for the first time.

       "I can't take any more of this shit, my boy is about to die, my brother, damn."

      
The Judge nodded his head as a sign for him to continue, Brittney glanced at Mr. Evans who was looking quite content in his own little way.

       The Man continued, his eyes no longer moving from the paper, it seemed as though he was beginning to regret their decisions, "On the State Vs Omari Grandberry we find him guilty on the charge of affiliation of organized crime, we find him guilty on the use and distribution of narcotics, and we find him not guilty on the accusation of affiliation with the murder of Debo Watkins."

       "You know, I'm glad you did come over."

       Again the court was in an uproar, Brittney took her hands from her father as Druex's voice became clearer in her head. She loved him and now, once again, she was losing all that was important to her.

       It was the moment that Brittney had been waiting on, the judged quieted the court and with a quick nod said, "Continue, Mr. Hernandez."

       "Baby, everything is gonna be fine, I promise."

       Mr. Hernandez took a deep breath and continued with a short glance as Druex and the court, "Your honor, we find Druex Fredricks not guilty on the charge of third-degree murder of Debo Watkins, however we find him guilty on the charge of adding and abetting criminals and the accusation of his superior presence in organized crime."

       At that moment she couldn't fight the tears anymore and they just ran her face as she tried to avoid her father and keep her eyes off Druex. She could still hear him in her head, she loved him and now she'd lost him. For a moment there she would've sworn she was the urban version of Romeo & Juliet.

         "You know, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me."

      
The Bailiff handed the Judge a piece of paper and he sat his glasses at the tip of his nose, "Jarell Houston," he said as Jarell stood, "I sentence you to a maximum of life in prison with parole available in 28 years."

        "Stay with me tonight."

      
As Jarell sat, De'Mario stood and the Judge spoke, "De'Mario Thorton, I sentence you to 30 years in prison with parole in 18 years."

       "I told you not to worry."


       De'Mario sat and Omari stood his face to the ground and the Judge spoke again, "Omari Grandberry I sentence you to twenty years in prison with possible parole in 10 years."

       "I love him."

       This time her own voice thundered through her head as Druex stood up throwing a short glance over his shoulder at her, the Judge spoke, "Druex Fredricks I sentence you to 15 years in prison with parole possible in five years. This court is adjourned."

        "You know, you're the best thing that's ever happened to me."

      
Brittney finally let her cries escaped her throat as the officers escorted the men out of the court. Joe stood above his daughter as the DA glided toward them, "You ought to be happy they got sentenced that much! All you had was circumstantial Mr. Evans."

       Brittney wiped her eyes as Mr. Evans stood in front of her father letting a slight confused look spread over his face, "Well, Mr. Anderson I didn't know you felt that way, you were the one who told me to run with all the circumstantial crap I could get my hands on and of course you know I did! And here I am basking in the fruits of my labors."

       Brittney said nothing to either of the men as she stood and walked past them trying to control her emotions. She had just lost another man, not the seed of hope for parole helped. She hadn't spoken much to her father the last couple of weeks, not since she found that Debo Watkins was the prime suspect in the death of her brother.

       Brittney wiped her eyes as she heard his voice in her again this time with nothing but something it took two months for her to realize he admitted. In front of her father, he had said the words he had never once uttered to her.

           "True, I would do anything for her -- except for that Mr. Evans. You have your facts almost correct, yes I love Miss Anderson but my relationship with her and Debo's death don't coincide."

       Brittney wrapped her arms around her self as the cool March air hit her square in the face. She thought to herself loudly, "He loves me."



       Joe lead his daughter into the meeting room inside the jail in which Joe had set up for the four new prisoners to have private conversations before they are locked. Brittney hadn't wanted to come but Druex had told Joe to bring her here before lock up at eight. And even Joe believed that Druex deserved to see her before he meet those cold steel bars.

       Brittney looked at her father as the guard opened the door, "Daddy no, I can't go in there."

       "You have to Brittney because once he's locked up, you will never get the nerve to see him. I know you." Joe replied holding her by the arm to keep her from turning and walking away.

       "Are we goin' to be alone?" She asked as she looked at the floor, she wanted to see him but in the back of her mind she knew what he'd say.

       "Yes, just this once." He replied leading her into the interrogation room where Druex sat, his arms in chains and his eyes on the wall.

       Brittney walked in, silent, watching his face show a little light as he watched her walk in, the guard close the door with a quick word of, "Twenty minutes."

       "Baby." Druex whispered standing as Brittney sat down, he watched her eyes, and he swept his own eyes over her body trying to remember every curve it held.

       "Druex." She replied taking folding her hands over the table, trying her best not look in his eyes.

       Druex took her hand in his own staring at them intertwined, "We won't be seeing each other again for along time. And so I have one thing to tell you."

       Brittney looked into his eyes knowing what was to come next, "Druex, I won't stay away from you."

       "You have to baby, I won't let my mistakes fuck up your life. So...I want to say this," He whispered staring down at her hands trying to fight his own tears, "I love you. That's important to me, it's important to me to know that you know that I love you."

       "I do know that Druex, but I refuse not to see you. You could be out in five years or less Druex, then everything will be fine, I promise." She replied as a tear fell down her cheek, she couldn't lose him, not now.

       "No, things will not be fine, if I get out in five years I won't be coming back here. I have orders to go to LA when I get out and that's where I'm going. Baby -- I -- I won't see you anymore after this." He whispered, still holding her hand like it was the last time, he loved this woman more than he should but that didn't take away from his common sense.

       "No -- no, Druex this is one time you are wrong. I'm not giving up on you now -- or never. I refuse to -- because I can't -- and I won't." She whispered pulling her hands away from his, shaking her head in determination.

       Druex shook his head looking down at her hands that were now trembling in fear and pain, "I'm not asking you to give up on me, no baby I could never -- baby never, I'm just asking -- no, I'm just trying to...tell you that this is the end...for us."

       She fought the tears but gave up as he spoke the 'end', "Why Druex? Why? I've -- we've -- have so much!"

       Druex squeezed his eyes together tight as she struggled to speak, his own voice became thick, "Brittney...we can't be together...now...or ever. I love you -- and you love me...but WE aren't meant to be...well -- maybe we are...just not now. I -- you can't stay with me baby...it's not going to work."

       Brittney stood up, wiped the tears from her eyes, leaned over the table and kissed him on the cheek, "Then...goodbye...Druex."

       He stopped fighting tears the moment her lips touched his cheek and he caught her hand, held it firmly in front of his face and stared at it, "Good-bye baby....you gotta know...no -- you gotta see Brittney you my heart. No matter where I go, who I see, what I do, who your with, nothing can change that, you will always...ALWAYS...ALWAYS, be my heart. Till the day I die."

       She looked at him through tears and pulled her hand away, she felt like someone was twisting a knife through her heart, "No, I can't be."

       Druex nodded his head, wiping the tears away as she opened the door but stopped her, "Brittney."

       "Yea?" She replied looking up into his eyes wishing this wasn't reality, that she really wasn't about to walk away from him.

       "I hope you have the happiest life." Druex whispered looking her over once more, remember the feel of her skin against his, remembering her voice, and her touch; Wishing this was a nightmare.

       "You too Druex Fredricks, you too." Brittney replied softly as she closed the door and headed outside without so much as a grunt toward anyone she passed.

       It was over and now she had to start over. Again. They both did. It was over, just like a soft summer breeze it had came and ended and neither could catch it. Like the melody of a love song it just faded into a memory. It was over...

....
Make my record skip, make my record skip, make my record skip, make my record
skip
I would have never talked to you if I had known you was a popular thug, hey,
popular thug


*Chapter Index
Feedback?