Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Disclaimer:   Still don’t own ‘em, but what I could do with them… 

Rating:  NC-17.  MINORS, THIS IS NOT FOR YOU 

Acknowledgements:  A special thanks to Kadith and Katsume, whose “When In Disgrace” gave me an idea which has been rattling around for some time; and who have graciously given me permission to use it. 

                                                   ACCIDENTS 
 
 

By Mary S. 
 
 

Chapter 1:  Shortages 
 

“Captain, I have the planet on close range sensors.  Initiating geological scans now.” 

           “Thank you, Mr. Kim.  Commander Chakotay to the bridge.” 

           Janeway swivelled around in her chair as Chakotay exited the turbolift. 

           “Commander, we have reached the planet.  Mr. Kim is scanning it now.  Please coordinate all reports and call a staff meeting in one hour.  You have the bridge.  I’ll be in my ready room.” 

            “Aye Captain.   All department heads, staff meeting in one hour.” 

           As the senior staff gathered in the briefing room, Janeway sat at the head of the table with several padds scattered about her.  Chakotay called the meeting to order. 

           “Reports:  Harry, let’s start with you.” 

           “Captain, Commander.  I’ve just finished the last scans.  There are definitely deposits of dilithium on the planet.  The problem is that it is inhabited by a pre-warp, in fact pre-industrial civilization.  Actually, the inhabitants are quite primitive and seem to live in a nomadic state.  At least, I have not been able to find any large concentrations of people, or any structures.” 

           The captain spoke up.  “Then we could assume that they have absolutely no idea of the value of the dilithium, which could make obtaining it easier.  On the other hand, we have to stay out of their way.  What state is it in, Harry?” 

           “As near as I can tell, Captain, it exists in between layers of shale in some of the cliffs and would have to be mined.” 

            “Are the deposits near any settlements?  Oh, that’s right – you said there weren’t any.  Well, near any paths or trails where the locals might encounter us?” 

            “The ones most easily accessible are indeed near campsites.  It is possible, Captain, that the people there use dilithium for other purposes.” 

            Seven broke in.  “What other uses could there be, Ensign?” 

           “Well, certainly decorative.  The crystals are quite beautiful, you know.” 

            “I must admit, I had not thought of them in that light.  The Borg do not believe in ‘decoration’.” 

           The Captain glanced at Chakotay, whose lips twitched.  She hid a smile of her own.  No, she supposed ‘decoration’ was the last thing anyone would find on a cube. 

           Chakotay continued to call for reports as Janeway fiddled with the padds.  The truth was, that without new crystals, and soon, Voyager’s journey would come to a sudden and permanent end.  They could only recrystallize the ones they had so many times. 

           Finally, everyone had had their say.  Janeway looked around and came to her decision.  “People, we have no choice.  This is the best supply of dilithium we have seen in a long time; regardless of the level of development down there, if we want to go any further, we are going to have to acquire more crystals.  Either that or end up joining the local inhabitants on a permanent basis.  Commander, please give careful consideration to an away team.  We must try to cause as little disruption as possible.  Report to me when you’ve finished.  Staff dismissed.” 

           With that, everyone rose and returned to their posts.  Janeway realized that lunch was long past and decided to pop down to the mess hall for a bite while waiting for Chakotay’s suggestions.   As Neelix made up a plate for her, she overheard Tom and B’Elanna arguing.  Their voices were lowpitched at first, but the volume soon increased. 

         

          “Come on, B’Elanna, leave your precious engines for one evening.  They’ll survive, for god’s sake.  It’s not like no one else is down there;  don’t you trust anyone else to look after them?” 

           “Tom, you know what happened the last time I did that.  The Borg Queen showed up, started mucking around with the systems, and ended up causing power failures and crossed circuits all over the ship!  It took us hours to repair it all, and some of those relays still aren’t working as they should.  I have to be available if something goes wrong.” 

           “But something is always going wrong!  We don’t have any fun anymore; you hardly ever leave engineering, even to eat or sleep.  In fact, if I didn’t drag you out once in a while, you’d live there permanently.  It’s not good for you, B’E.  You have to have a break sometimes.” 
 
       “Look Tom.  I can’t leave, especially right now with the crystals the way they are.  If you can’t live with that, too bad.  I don’t have the time or energy to play with you.” 

           That got his dander up.  “Play?!  I’m not asking you to play;  just to sit down for a meal now and again, like we’re supposed to be doing right now!” 

        " I was sitting down until you started this.  Now I don’t want to eat.  I’m going back to engineering.”  And she got up from her chair and started to walk out. 

         “Fine, you do that!  Maybe I’ll go find someone who’s a little more receptive to the idea of a bit of downtime, who doesn’t insist on being on the job twenty-five hours a day!” 

           She turned and showed her teeth to him, in a grimace of a smile.  “You go right ahead and do that, flyboy!  Then maybe you’ll leave me alone!”  And she stalked out, fury radiating from every inch. 

           Janeway shook her head and looked at Neelix.  “Has there been much of that sort of thing?” 

           “Between them?  A few heated discussions, Captain.   That was more heated than most, though.” 

           “I better go talk to Tom.  Thank you, Neelix.”  And she took her tray over to the table where her pilot sat disconsolately. 

           “Tom, can I join you?” 

           “Captain!  Yes, of course, although I don’t think I’m very good company right now.” 

            “I heard.  What’s wrong, Tom?” 

         “Oh nothing more than the usual.  I try to get B’Elanna to take some time off, she refuses, we end up fighting, she tromps off in a snit.  In a couple of hours, I’ll go down there and apologize all over myself.  I’m getting really tired of this, Captain.  It’s like we’re in a loop–doing and saying the same things over and over again.  I need a break.” 

           “Sounds to me like you both need a break.  Have you talked to Chakotay about going on the away team?” 
 

           “No Captain, I haven’t and I don’t think I will.    We need more than an away mission together to get us back on an even keel. But it might be a good idea if B’Elanna went; if nothing else, it would get her out of engineering.” 

           “I’ll mention it to him.  Hopefully it’s just the tension right now and she’ll feel better once the dilithium problem is solved.  There’s a lot of pressure on her at the moment.” 

            “Yeah, I know, Captain.  I guess I should try to keep better control of my temper.” 

           “Don’t be too hard on yourself.  A relationship with B’Elanna can be fraught with danger.  I think you’re both doing very well.   She does try.  I better get back;  Chakotay is probably waiting for me.  Hang in there, Tom.”  She couldn’t know just how prophetic her words would prove to be. 
 

        _________________________________________________ 
 

           “Well, Commander.  What do you have for me?” 

           “I’ve gone over all the data several times, Captain.  Taking everything into consideration, I think this will be the best way of both getting our dilithium and keeping contact with the locals to a minimum.” 

           “An away team of only two?  That’s very small, Chakotay.  You will have no backup for all intents and purposes.  And it will take more time.” 

         “I know, Captain.  But I think that in the long run, two will work out better.  If worst comes to worst we don’t have to worry about crew scattered all over; the two will stay together all the time.  In an emergency, one transport will get both.   And I really believe that the fewer of our people who are there, the better.  It’s worth the extra time to reduce the risk of detection.” 

           She couldn’t argue with his reasoning and agreed to the plan.   “Who do you plan to send?” 

           “I will go, Captain, to provide security and backup.  I can also dig or do whatever is necessary to get the crystals.  A crewmember from engineering, Carey, or Vorik maybe, should be there to ensure that we’re getting the right thing.” 

           “Why don’t you take B’Elanna?”  And she told him of the episode she had witnessed in the mess hall, and her subsequent talk with Tom. 

        “I’ll do that, Captain.  I hadn’t realized B’E was that wound up.   Time to have a good talk with her – she needs to be hit over the head once in a while, you know.”  At the Captain’s startled expression, he added “figuratively speaking.” 

           “Whatever it takes, Commander.  I’ll leave it up to you.  Dismissed.” 

           Ten minutes later, Chakotay walked into engineering and looked around for Torres.  Ah, there she was, waving a tricorder in one hand and a tool of some sort – he didn’t know what – in the other, yelling orders.  Yes, she was definitely more strung out than usual; time for a break. 

           “B’Elanna, stop for a minute.  I need to talk to you.” 

           “Chakotay!   This imbecile….” 

            “That wasn’t a request, Lieutenant.” 

            “Yes, sir.  What do you want?” 

            “I’m making up an away team to go get the crystals; I’ve decided on you and me.” 

            “That’s it?!  Just us?!  That will take forever.  Why can’t you…” 
Her voice trailed off as his face darkened.    Chakotay would tolerate a lot but never insubordination. 

            “The decision is made.  Report to the transporter room in half an hour.  Bring all the equipment we’ll need.  And dress out of uniform.  If we are discovered, we have to try to blend in with the locals.”  And he turned on his heel and strode out. 

             B’Elanna muttered and complained, but at the end of half an hour, she was in the transporter room armed with tricorders, two shovels and a pack which hopefully would hold all the crystals they were going to find.  Chakotay came in carrying two phasers and another pack which turned out to contain emergency supplies.   They couldn’t be too careful.  Both were garbed in leather leggings and shirts, with rough fur jackets over top.  Their communicators were tucked away on the insides of their sleeves where they couldn’t be seen. 

            “Chakotay to bridge.” 

            “Bridge here, Commander,” came Janeway’s voice. 

            “Captain, we are ready to transport.” 

            “Very well, Commander.  Good luck.  Janeway out.” 
 

Chapter 2:  Captured 
 

           They materialized in a forest glade near a cliff that showed indications of dilithium deposits.  Tricorders were waved around instantly, B’Elanna pinpointing the crystals, and Chakotay checking for inhabitants, both two-legged and four. 

           “There doesn’t seem to be anyone or anything in the immediate area.  Where should we start?” 

           “Over there, at the base of that cliff.  I’m reading a good sized deposit.” 

           “Over there it is then.” 

        The readings proved to be accurate – there were a few crystals lying loose on the ground, and a lot more could be seen in a layer about twenty feet up.   They looked around for something to stand on, but in the end it was necessary to climb up very carefully, hang on with one set of fingernails and all their toes, and with the other hand, pry out the crystals.  Chakotay wondered if one of them should stand guard, but the process was going to be so time-consuming anyway that he decided to take a chance.  He set both tricorders to emit a warning if any living creature ventured within a hundred yards of them and they got to work. 
            Two hours later, the light was fading but they had almost filled the pack.   “Okay, B’Elanna, that’s enough.  I want to get out of here.” 

           “Just one more, Chakotay.  There’s a beauty just over there – see it? 
That one alone will make the whole trip worthwhile.  I can almost reach it…” – and she lost her grip and slipped down the cliff face. 

           “B’Elanna!  Are you hurt?”  Chakotay scrambled down as fast as he dared; he couldn’t take the chance of falling, too.  Finally, he reached the bottom and hurried over to her. 

          She lay very still;  he checked for a pulse – yes, there it was.  Thank goodness!   She moaned and began to come around just as both tricorders emitted warning beeps. He tried to reach the phasers.  Too late.  He only had time to kick the tricorders out of sight when they were surrounded by over a dozen men, all armed with spears, and bows and arrows.  Their luck had run out. 

           The warriors? hunters? stepped back to the side as one man, obviously their leader,  moved forward.   He looked them over, then their equipment and packs, poked his nose into the latter and pulled out the crystals with a cry.   His face creased in anger and he yelled at them, but the universal translators remained silent.    It wasn’t hard, though, to figure out that they had committed a major transgression.   The man waved forward four others, who bound their arms with sturdy vines.   B’Elanna was dragged to her feet and only then did the leader realize she was female. 

            He ran a finger over her ridges and down the side of her face.  She snarled at him, which he seemed to find very funny.  He grabbed her chin to make her snarl again, and when she obliged, burst into roars of laughter.  Turning away, he pulled on her arm and forced her to walk beside him.  Chakotay followed behind, prodded now and then to remind him to keep moving.    He tried to feel his sleeve for his communicator, but couldn’t find it and began to have a horrible feeling that it must have fallen out when he scurried down the cliff.  From the look on B’Elanna’s face, it appeared that hers had met a  similar fate.   That would explain why the translators hadn’t worked.   At this point, all he could hope for was that the ship would find them,  the phasers and tricorders and realize what had happened. 

           They walked for about half an hour before reaching a campsite.  A group of tents was spread around a large firepit.   Made of animal skins sewn together rather haphazardly and draped over thin logs, they didn’t look as if they offered much protection from the elements. 
 
           The two prisoners were thrown down in the middle of a circle of excited inhabitants.  There was much chattering accompanied by various gesticulations; Chakotay did not feel that these people were naturally hostile, but their actions certainly weren’t very friendly.  In any event, all they could do was wait. 

         After much heated discussion which ran the gamut from mild argument to near-violence (or so it seemed), the leader grabbed B’Elanna roughly, pulled her up and tried to drag her into one of the tents.  She roared out in fury and then kicked him as hard as she could.  He dropped her in surprise; then turned, hauled her up and slapped her hard across the face.  Any other woman would have been knocked out, but B’Elanna’s Klingon dander was up now and she tried to head butt him.   The only reason she missed was because she lost her balance and couldn’t stop her fall with her hands still tied.   Chakotay was yelling himself now; pandemonium reigned until suddenly an elderly man stepped into the middle of it all and raised his hands.  Instantly, the noise stopped and everyone took a step back.  The man looked quite frail but had an unmistakable air of authority about him.  Chakotay reasoned that this would be the shaman, the spiritual leader, a person highly respected within the community.   All waited to see what would happen next. 

           The man turned around slowly, making eye contact with each person.  When he came to Chakotay, he walked right up to him and stared deeply into his eyes.    He started to reach for B’Elanna, who backed away until she came up against one of the men.  He took her hand and led her over to Chakotay.   He then proceeded to lecture the young leader, obviously admonishing him for his earlier behaviour.   It became clear that the old shaman assumed that B’Elanna belonged to Chakotay, an impression neither was in any hurry to change. 

            The younger man glowered, but said nothing.  His resentment was palpable, but it was obvious that he dared not question his elder’s authority.   The shaman came back to them and untied their hands.   He led them to the fire, signaled someone to bring food and drink and indicated they should sit and eat.    They were only too happy to comply.   When they had finished, he led them to one of the tents – his own, as it turned out, sent someone to retrieve their belongings, and gestured to them to sleep.   They looked at one another, shrugged their shoulders and settled down.  Their host rolled himself into his own blankets and was soon snoring softly. 
 
        __________________________________________________ 
 

           The next morning, B’Elanna awakened to find an arm wrapped around her and a warm body pressed up against her.   “Tom?” she called softly, before remembering it couldn’t possibly be him.   She panicked for a split second, remembering the angry leader, and rolled over but it was only Chakotay.  She breathed a sigh of relief;  she had been more afraid than she would ever admit the night before.   Rape had seemed a real possibility for a few minutes there.   Her movement woke him up and for a minute, he obviously couldn’t remember where he was.   Then his eyes cleared and he moved slightly away from her.    He seemed slightly uncomfortable and she grinned inwardly.  Hah! – gotcha.     Nice to know even Chakotay was only human. 

           She rose then, climbed out of their blankets and walked out to find a place to relieve herself and hopefully some water to wash her face.   As she went around a bush looking for a bit of privacy, she walked smack into one of the men of the camp.  She turned to go in a different direction, only to find another.   Apparently, they were still prisoners.    Finally she spotted one of the women and followed her to what turned out to be the communal washing spot, and downstream, lavatory.    Torres was quite uncomfortable but realized she had no choice. 

           On her return, she found Chakotay folding up their bedding.  She quickly filled him in on her latest discoveries; he didn’t seem very surprised. 
They weren’t out of the woods yet, especially without tricorders and communicators.   The ship would have to scan very closely to separate their biosignatures  from their hosts, well his anyway.  B’Elanna would be a little easier to find. 

           After a breakfast of berries and a bit of roasted squash, they were placed under guard in the shaman’s tent, while everyone else gathered around the firepit.  Apparently, their fate was to be decided. 

           The crystals were pulled out of B’Elanna’s pack, passed around and examined carefully.   Twice the leader came over to harangue them, but since they couldn’t understand a word, it didn’t have the   effect it was obviously intended to.  The shaman sat quietly at one side, listening carefully to all the arguments as speaker after speaker got up.   They sat there for hours and still it went on.  B’Elanna finally remarked that clearly this was democracy at its best – or worst, depending on your point of view.  The guard glared her into silence. 

           The sun had passed its highest point when finally the last speaker finished.   Everyone got up and stretched, moving around to work out the kinks.   Chakotay and B’Elanna were also allowed to rise and move about.  After approximately twenty minutes, they all resumed their places and the shaman finally rose to announce his decision.    And a decision it was, there could be no doubt.   Chakotay reflected that, if their circumstances hadn’t been so dire, he could have appreciated the proceedings much more.   It was an anthropologist’s dream, after all, a first contact like this. 

            The shaman spoke for nearly half an hour, clearly laying out his argument in a logical fashion.   At the end, he came over to Chakotay and Torres, took a hand of each, and folded them between his own.   The significance was obvious.   For the time being, they were joined, at least in the eyes of the camp.   Chakotay shrugged while Torres looked a little stunned.   Well, so be it.  At least that fellow would leave her alone.  Or so she thought. 

           That evening, as B’Elanna made a last trip to the stream before bed, the young leader suddenly stepped out in front of her.  Before she could react, someone grabbed her from behind and covered her mouth.  She  bit down hard and kneed the person holding her, but then yet another grabbed her and forced her to the ground.  She did manage to shriek twice for help before they covered her mouth again, but as they ripped  away her clothing, she feared no one had heard her.    There was a hand on the back of her neck pushing her face into the dirt, someone else was kneeling on her back and she could feel a hand groping between her legs.   Oh god!  she thought.  I can’t stop it this time. 

             And then Chakotay was there – yelling, grabbing onto any body he could and throwing it aside.  His attack was so sudden that B’Elanna was free before she realized it.  She wasted no time jumping up   to help and between them, they fought off her attackers.   They hurried back to the shaman but the leader had beaten them to it.  He gesticulated angrily, first at B’Elanna, then at Chakotay.  The meaning was clear:  he was challenging the shaman’s decision. 

           Again, there was much discussion, and then the shaman shrugged his shoulders, got up and walked away.   Several of the group came over, pulled away what was left of B’Elanna’s clothing and pushed her at Chakotay.  The  meaning was clear.  He would have to prove she was his.  If he refused, the leader would take her. 

           Night had fallen; the fire roared, built up to provide as much light as possible.   They stood beside it, almost too close, held by the unseen figures that encircled them.  Only the eyes were visible, reflecting back the firelight. 

         “B’Elanna, are you okay?  Did they hurt you?  Here, put my jacket around you,” but the jacket was snatched by invisible hands. 

       “Chakotay, I’m scared.  What are we going to do?   I’m scared they’re going to grab me again, and I won’t be able to stop them!  Chakotay, I’m afraid it will happen again!!  Please, Chakotay, don’t let them, please!!!” 

          And he remembered the day he had first met B’Elanna, when he had pulled the Cardassian off her and killed him on the spot.   She had a well-earned fear of rape.   There was really only one alternative.  He pulled her face close to his and forced her to look into his eyes. 

             “B’E, listen to me, sweetheart.  I don’t think there is much choice here.    Can you do this?  I know you’re scared but you have to hang on to me.  Do you understand?  You have to hang on to me!  I won’t let them hurt you;  but I’m going to have to do this so they won’t.  Do you understand?” 

              She nodded her head slowly, her eyes never leaving his.  He pulled her in tight to his chest and just held her for a minute.  She was trembling at first, but gradually quieted.   He couldn’t help but think that no one would believe this was the same B’Elanna who ruled her engine room with a fist of iron.    He was the only one – and maybe Tom– who knew her weak spot.  He stroked her hair and rubbed her back, and when he judged she had relaxed enough, he pulled off his shirt and lay her down on it. 

            He couldn’t help but look at her – she was so beautiful, breasts full and round on a compact little body ending in slim legs.   She  stared up at him, her lower lip between her teeth.   He couldn’t know that long ago, she had fantasized about something like this happening between them.  Well, not exactly like this.  And even though she hadn’t thought about it in a long time, ever since she had started noticing Tom, it occurred to her that she wouldn’t really object to finding out just how good a lover Chakotay was.  As he said, there wasn’t a lot of choice. 
 
          "Chakotay, I understand.  I know you won’t hurt me.  Just – do it.”  And she pulled his head down to hers. 

           He hadn’t planned to kiss her but she had other ideas.  As her mouth moved under his,  they forgot all about their audience and let their passions rise.   She reached for his pants, trying to push them down.  He wriggled out of them and kicked them away.  He kneaded her breasts, rubbing the nipples.  Lifting his head, he latched onto one and sucked hard.  She moaned, throwing her head back and pushing her breast hard against his mouth.  His hand ran down her side, across her stomach and into her pubic hair.  He pulled a bit at the curls, then ran a finger down her slit and up to her clitoris.  He nudged at it with the end of his finger and her legs opened wide.  She thrust her hips up, trying to rub her mound against his hand.  He released her breast, moved between her legs, and entered her with one hard thrust.  She pushed against him with all her considerable strength – once, twice and suddenly exploded around him.  He felt his control going and drove into her hard, feeling her quiver and clench all around him.   In an explosion to match hers, he came hard and long, filling her with his semen until it ran out of her again. 

           As their breathing slowed and they came back to reality, Chakotay lifted his head and looked around – right into a circle of eyes. Oh spirits! Look what he’d done– and in front of several dozen people, too. 

           He carefully climbed off B’Elanna, pulled her up and with what dignity they had left, walked back into the shaman’s tent.  Not a sound had been heard from their audience the entire time, but now it seemed a great sigh filled the air. Well, at least they would leave B’Elanna alone.  There could be no doubt in their minds she was his. 
 

Chapter 3:  Repercussions 
 

           Early the next morning, as Chakotay and B’Elanna made their way back from the stream, they heard a whisper from a bush beside the trail 

           “Commander, over here!  Commander!” 

           They eased their way off the path and darted behind a large shrub to find Harry Kim and two security officers waving frantically.  Quickly, they joined them, and soon learned that Voyager had suffered a major engine failure just after they had beamed down, which had forced them out of orbit while repairs were jerryrigged.    When the ship returned, the away team had disappeared.  All the search teams could find were the phasers, tricorders, communicators, and one backpack (Chakotay’s).   They had gathered enough dilithium crystals from the same cliff face to replace all that the first team had lost, and Voyager was ready to go.   One benefit from their performance last night, Chakotay realized, was that the camp had been sufficiently distracted not to notice the additional mining. 

            Harry led them further into the woods where they found Tuvok and another team approaching from the opposite direction. 

           “Ah, Commander, Lieutenant.  I am glad to see you both alive and apparently in good condition.  The Captain – and Mr. Paris – will be very relieved.” 

           At the mention of Tom, both jumped a little.   Tuvok pretended not to notice, but filed it away for future contemplation. 

           “Are you prepared to leave?” 

           “Yes.  The sooner, the better,” replied Chakotay. 

            “Voyager, five to beam up.  And then reset the transporter to bring up the remaining away team.” 

            “Very good, Commander,” came the reply.  And they dematerialized. 
 

          _____________________________________________________ 
 
 

           The captain and Tom were both waiting rather anxiously in the transporter room.   As Janeway questioned Chakotay,  Tom pulled B’Elanna into his arms and hugged her hard. 

        Oh, B’E, I’m so glad to see you!  I was so scared that we wouldn’t be able to find you!  I’m sorry for all the awful things I said;  I won’t harass you any more – about anything!  I just want us to be together, any way we can.” 

            Meanwhile, on the other side of the console,  “Report, Commander!  What went wrong down there?  What happened?  How much damage was caused by the contact?” 

         “Captain!  One question at a time, please.   B’Elanna fell off the cliff and while I was assessing her injuries, we were surrounded by a hunting party.  All I could do was kick the tricorders and phasers out of sight.  Our communicators were both lost.   I don’t think much damage was caused to the Prime Directive.  They were certainly excited and puzzled by our presence but they never saw any technology.  They did get quite upset that we had mined the crystals, although we never did find out why.   They are not an inherently hostile people, Captain, but they will certainly defend themselves if they think they are being threatened.” 

            “Well, hopefully no long term damage has occurred.  Both of you, report to sickbay.  I’ll expect your reports by 1500.  Dismissed.   Tom, you’re still on shift.  Back to the bridge.  I’ve indulged you enough.” 

           “Yes, ma’am.  See you later.” 

            Chakotay  and B’Elanna trailed down the corridor to sickbay, more weary than they would have expected.  Neither looked at the other.  Both were wondering just how much should go in their reports. 

           “B’Ela, we have to talk –  as soon as the doctor’s finished. Okay?” 

           “Yeah, okay, Chakotay.” 

           The doctor grumbled about people not taking sufficient precautions while climbing impossible precipices, but eventually pronounced them fit after treating B’Elanna’s bruises.   One reading on the tricorder made him raise his eyebrows and give them both a hard stare, but he said nothing. 

      “Come to my quarters as soon as you’re changed,” he told her as they left sickbay.   She nodded her head but said nothing.   What was there to say?  It had happened; at the time, it was necessary; but she really was not keen to put all the details in a report which would no doubt be read not only by the Captain, but Tuvok, and god knew who else, as well.   They would have to figure out something. 

        Twenty minutes later, she presented herself clean and tidy at Chakotay’s door.  He was just fastening his jacket as she entered. 

       “Chakotay, I’ve gone over this several times.  How much do we have to put in?  Could we just say we were captured and leave it at that?” 

          “I think so, B’E.  As long as the reports agree on the main facts, I don’t see a problem.  After all,  how can anyone know what happened?  And it really bears no relevance to the hunt for dilithium or even how much we did or didn’t compromise the Prime Directive.   Let’s just stick to that and leave out all the parts that no one else needs to know about, anyway.”  And he gave her an encouraging grin that made her suddenly feel much better. 

            “I agree.  That would definitely be best for all concerned.  Thanks, Chakotay.  I feel a lot better about this now.”  And she headed towards the door.  As it opened, she looked back, gave him a saucy smile and added, “now I know why Seska had a big smirk on her face so often; you are good!”  And on that note, she sailed out leaving him slightly stunned.  Really! he thought, nice to know – I guess. 

              Reports were duly handed in on time, the Captain reviewed procedures for dealing with unexpected situations involving indigenous populations, and the entire incident seemed to have been put behind them – until the doctor dropped his bombshell four weeks later. 

       “I must inform you, Lieutenant,” he began in a painfully correct manner, “that I have discovered the reason for your recent malaise.  You did not “pick up a bug” on the last away mission.  You’re pregnant.” 

            She sat on the biobed feeling absolutely stunned.   And the obvious question jumped to mind.  But how was she going to ask?  The doctor would assume this was Tom’s child, but she wasn’t so sure.  She waited as he lectured her about eating habits, sleep, and so on, until finally she caught his last sentence. 

           “I’m sorry, Doctor.  I missed that. What did you say?” 

           “Lieutenant, have you paid attention to one word I’ve spoken?  You have to take better care of yourself if you want to carry this child to term.  Now listen to me while I go over all this again.” 

           “Doctor, what was the last thing you said?” 

           “I was just saying that I had run a DNA scan as part….oh, hello Captain.  What can I do for you?  I’m just finishing with Lieutenant Torres and then I’ll be with you.” 

            “Take your time, Doctor.  I just need something for a headache,” and the Captain rubbed her forehead in a very familiar gesture.  “What’s your problem, B’Elanna?  Have you got a headache, too?” 

        “Uh, no, Captain.  Doctor, we can finish up later, can’t we?  I better get back to engineering.”  And she jumped off the biobed and hurried to the door.   She didn’t make it. 

        “B’Elanna!  Come back here, please.  I can wait.  Now what’s the matter?”  And Kathryn Janeway stepped close to her.  “You’re obviously upset;  please, let me help.” 

             B’Elanna looked rather helplessly at the doctor.  She didn’t know what to do.   Clearly, he expected her to explain her condition to the Captain.  Well, there was no help for it.  She would have to know soon, anyway. 

             “I – I’m – I’m pregnant, Captain.”  And she waited in apprehension to see how the news would be received. 
 
        “B’Elanna!  That’s wonderful!  I am so happy for you!  Does Tom know yet?  He’ll be so pleased.  Oh, B’Elanna!”   And she put her arms around her and hugged her hard. 

           “Uh, Captain,”interjected the doctor.  “I think there’s a slight misunderstanding.   Mr. Paris is not the father.” 

            Oh shit!  Now what!  She had no idea what to do.   Janeway looked completely stunned and then her face creased into a frown.  “He isn’t?!!  Well, who is?!” this last directed at B’Elanna. 

            The doctor, who was on a roll now, was kind enough to answer for her.  “The Commander”. 

            There was complete silence. 

                        TBC