Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

FRIENDS AND LOVERS

Rating:  NC-17, references to non-consensual sex
 

Part 3: Home

Eleven months later in San Francisco
 

           B’Elanna mechanically walked up the street toward her apartment building, lost in thought as she went over the specs for the latest attempt at transwarp drive.   Completely oblivious to her surroundings, she actually tripped over the figure sitting on the doorstep.  She gasped and tried to catch herself, but only the strong grasp of the person beside her saved her from falling.  She scrambled up, ready to tear a strip off the idiot who had parked himself right in her way, only to stare in astonishment instead.

           “Chakotay!  What…what are you doing here?!”

           He grinned at her merrily.  “Now is that any way to greet an old friend?  Here I’ve been waiting most of the afternoon for you and what do you do?  Try to walk right through me!”

           “I’m sorry!  I didn’t see you at all!  I was trying to figure out if I’d missed something in the latest design, and – I guess I wasn’t paying attention to anything else.”

           He laughed at her.  “You know, Torres, you are one of the constants of the universe!  No matter where you are, you’ll have your head wrapped around an engineering problem.  What is it this time?”

           She smiled ruefully.  “Latest version of transwarp drive.”

           His eyebrows went up.  “Really!  Any chance it’ll work?”

           “Oh, eventually.  In another ten years, maybe; it’s very frustrating. Starfleet engineers, they just don’t understand how to improvise, you know?!  Everything has to be done in a certain way, ‘following procedure’ they call it.  They live their lives by the book!  I’ll bet they even have sex by the book!”

           Chakotay burst into roars of laughter and got to his feet.  “How on earth did you get tangled up with such a group?  You’re a civilian, aren’t you, or did they relent and let you back in?”

           “Nope, not yet.   There are still some admirals who are convinced that if I’m allowed back into Starfleet, I’ll mount a Maquis rebellion tomorrow, or at the very least, corrupt all their perfect little officers.”  She tilted her head to one side, then grinned at him.  “But, you know, it’s actually better this way.  I have more freedom, and if I don’t like their orders, I can tell them where to put themselves.   Plus I get paid a lot more as a consultant than I ever would as an officer.  So, really, it’s worked out for the best.  If only they weren’t such a bunch of stuffed shirts…!”

           He chortled again.  “Well, I have a proposition for you, but I don’t want to discuss it out here.”

           “Oh!  Sorry!”  She moved to the entrance, fingers flashing over the keypad to open it.  “Here, let’s go up to my apartment.  Can you stay for dinner?  I’m not sure what there is, but I can replicate something.”

           “Sure, that’d be great.”

           He waited until they were inside her suite, looking around before asking the next question.  “Uh, is Tom living here or are you on your own?”

           She reappeared from the bedroom where she had dropped her bag.  “I guess you haven’t heard.  Tom and I split up a few months after we got back.”  She sighed ruefully.  “Guess I blew it again, huh?”

           Chakotay moved to her at once, putting his arms around her and hugging her tightly.  “B’Ela, I’m sorry, very sorry indeed.  I had heard a rumour, but – you two were so close, so much in love, I didn’t believe it.”

           She buried her head in his shoulder, glad to have the simple comfort.  Feeling his arms around her gave her a sense of security that she hadn’t had in a long time.  She wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him back.

           “Oh, you feel good!  I didn’t realize how much I’d missed you!”

           “You feel pretty good, too,” he replied.  “Now what happened with Tom?”

           B’Elanna took a minute to collect herself, then turned and led him into the kitchen.  “It’s not a long story.  I’ll tell you while I see what I can find to eat.”  She rooted around in the stasis unit, coming up with a few vegetables and half a dozen eggs.  “Maybe we better use the replicator.”

           Chakotay moved to stand beside her.  “Here, why don’t you find us something to drink – anything will do – and I’ll cook?  You know I’m better than you anyway.”

           She couldn’t deny the truth of that statement, and hauled out a bottle of white wine from a rack underneath the counter.  “Wine okay?”

           “Sure.  Now quit stalling.  Let’s hear it.”

           She paused in the act of opening the bottle.  “There’s not much to tell.  Things changed after we got home.  What worked on Voyager didn’t work here at all.  His father wanted him to stay in Starfleet, and of course I couldn’t, so that was a problem right there.  At first, he said he’d stay with me regardless, but the admiral really laid it on.  Obviously, he was being pulled between us, so I just got out of the way.  It seemed the best thing to do.  He and his father were finally developing the relationship they should have had a long time ago.  I didn’t want to hinder that, so I broke up with him.”

           Chakotay scowled, as he diced the vegetables.  “You mean Starfleet screwed you again.”

           “Yeah, I guess you could say that.  But you know, Chakotay, maybe it was for the best.  I mean, if our relationship couldn’t last anyway under that kind of pressure, it was better to find out before we got married or something!”

           “I guess.   So anyone new in the picture, or are you buried in your work?”

           “No, there’s no one else.  I’ve had some offers, but…I’m holding back for now.  Haven’t found anyone who really sweeps me off my feet.”  She placed a glass of wine on the counter beside his hand.  “Now, we’ve talked all about me but I haven’t heard anything about you.   Where’s the captain?  Are you together?  And what’s this proposition you mentioned?”

           Chakotay kept his eyes on his hands, trying not to flinch at the topic of Kathryn Janeway.  He took a deep breath to centre himself.

           “Where to begin?  Let’s see, when was the last time I saw you?”

           “Right after the Federation granted us all full pardons – ten months ago.  I understood you were heading for Indiana.”

           “Yes, well.”  He sighed.  “It didn’t work, B’Elanna.  I don’t know why.  Well, that’s not really true – I do know.  Starfleet’s in her blood.  They waved an admiral’s pips at her and that was it.  She couldn’t wait to get back!  Kept talking about getting another ship and heading off again.   Wanted me to go, too.  Said she could arrange a special dispensation from Command that would let me join up again, so I could be her first officer.”

           He paused as he broke the eggs into a bowl, beating them, then adding water and continuing to beat.  He looked around.  “Do you have any salt and pepper?”

           “Oh sure, right here.”  B’Elanna handed the shakers to him and watched as he finished preparing the mixture.  “What are you making?”

           “A vegetable omelette.  Now I need a large frying pan,” he added, as he turned on the heat of the cook top element.

           She dug that out, too.  In no time, he had the omelette ready, and slid it onto a plate, picking up a knife to divide it between them.  B’Elanna quickly set the table and replicated some naan bread to go with it.  They sat down to enjoy their meal, eating in silence for a few minutes.

           Once they had finished, B’Elanna sipped her wine and made herself comfortable.  “You didn’t say what happened next.”

           “With what?  Oh, that.”  Chakotay swallowed his last bite and sat back, glass in hand.  “It wasn’t pretty.  We had a huge fight.  She simply couldn’t understand why I didn’t want to go back into space.  To her, that’s all there is.  I once thought, a long time ago, that she could be happy settling down in one place, making a home, maybe even having a family, but – guess I was wrong.”  He sipped his wine, not making eye contact with her.

           “And then?” she prompted when he remained silent.
 
           “Well, I didn’t know what to do at first, and then I heard from my cousin, the one who used to live in Ohio.”  B’Elanna nodded.  “He and a few others, all that’s left of my tribe, had gone back to Dorvan Five once the Cardassians had left.  They’ve spent the last couple of years trying to rebuild the colony.  It’s not easy.  The Cardassians pretty much ripped the place apart, poisoning the water systems, razing every structure, that sort of thing, but they’re starting to get somewhere.  In another few years, it will look more like it did when you last saw it.”

           “Did you go back then?”

           “Yeah, I did.  I wasn’t sure at first if I wanted to, but I figured, what the hell, might as well go and have a look.  And once I was there, well…I was home, you see.  It all came back to me and I knew that’s where I wanted to be.”

           She nodded, not really surprised.  She knew that, despite himself, Chakotay’s roots were deep in the soil of Dorvan.  She remembered the day they had spent there so long ago.  It seemed like another lifetime now.  So much had happened since then.

           Chakotay put his glass down.  “Actually, that leads up to my proposition.  B’Elanna, we need an engineer desperately.  Not just any engineer, they’re a dime a dozen, but one like you who can improvise something out of nothing, who isn’t held back by lack of imagination, who is ingenious by nature.   I didn’t know what your situation was or what you were doing, but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to come and find out.  Would you be interested in coming to help a ragtag bunch of colonists who have very little in the way of materials but are willing to work hard?  We need you.”

           She sat motionless, stunned into silence.   She certainly hadn’t expected him to make an offer like that.  He stayed quiet, watching her, knowing he couldn’t push her.   B’Elanna would make up her mind when she was ready and not before.

           He could see the wheels turning as she quickly analyzed her options.  He knew her very well and was quite aware that she would be intrigued by the situation he had described.  A free hand to do as she wished, nobody objecting to her methods, complete independence – it all held a lot of appeal.  Opposed to that was the security and material comfort she had here on Earth.  There wouldn’t be much of either on Dorvan.

           She looked up to see his gaze focused on her and bit her lip.  “Can I ask you a personal question?”

           “Of course, you know that.  What is it?”

           “I know it’s not really any of my business, but…are you involved with anyone now?”

           Surprise ran across his face – he certainly hadn’t expected that!  “No,” he answered flatly.  “I…Kathryn hurt me pretty badly. I’ve gotten over her and been able to let go of any hopes I had for a life with her.”  He shrugged his shoulders.  “I don’t expect to see her again any time soon, if ever, and that’s okay.  I can live with that.  But as for another relationship, no.  Besides, I have a lot to do.  There isn’t much extra time anyway.”  He hesitated, then continued.  “Why?”

           “I…just wondered, that’s all.”  She didn’t elaborate and he let it go.

           She remained silent for another minute or two, absently playing with her glass, then looked up at him decisively.  “Okay.”

           “Okay – what?”

           “Okay, I’ll do it.  When do we leave?”

           Chakotay gulped.  “You’re sure?!”

           “Yes, I’m sure!  Do you want me to come or not?!”

           He stood up quickly and came around the table to pull her up, hugging her.  “Of course I do!   I just didn’t expect you to decide so quickly!  What about your job here?  Aren’t you under contract?”

           She shrugged her shoulders.  “Yeah, but I can break it.  Honestly, Chakotay, I don’t think they’ll be sorry to see me go.  I seem to be always fighting with them anyway.  And they don’t need me – they’ve got lots of other engineers.”

           “Okay.  What about this place?”

           “I can sign the lease over to a friend from work, about the only friend I’ve made here.  She was asking me just yesterday if I knew of an apartment nearby.   I’ll sell her the furniture too; I don’t imagine I’ll need it.”

           “You might want a few pieces – the table and chairs, the armchair, maybe some of the stuff from the kitchen.  We only have one replicator.  Let’s see what you have and I’ll be able to tell you what you’ll probably want to bring.”

           The two spent more than an hour going over B’Elanna’s possessions, deciding what she might need and what would definitely be superfluous.  By the time they had sorted all her belongings, placing the piles in different corners of her living area, night had fallen.

           Chakotay glanced up, surprised to see how quickly the time had passed.  He rose to his feet.  “I better get going.  It’s later then I thought.”

           “Where are you staying?”

           He shrugged his shoulders.  “Don’t know yet.  I left a bag in a locker at the shuttleport.  Don’t worry, I’ll find somewhere.”

           “Why don’t you stay here?  I can sleep on the couch.”

           “No, B’Ela, thanks, but I won’t turf you out of your own bed.”

           “Oh for heaven’s sake, Chakotay!  It’s not a problem!”

           He continued to protest, until finally she exclaimed in an exasperated voice, “Okay, have it your way!  We’ll share the damn bed!  Won’t be the first time, after all!”

           Chakotay threw up his hands in surrender.  “All right, you win.  Just don’t kick me in the back like you used to do.”

           “I did not!”

           “You sure did!  I’d have bruises for days!”

           “Chakotay,” she growled meaningfully, “you may have had bruises, but it wasn’t from being kicked!”

           He actually blushed slightly as he remembered now that she was right.  B’Elanna burst out laughing at his embarrassment and took his hand, leading him toward the bedroom.  “Come on, I’ll show you where everything is.  You can go first in the bathroom.”

           When she joined him in the bed a few minutes later, she made a concerted effort not to touch him.  She had convinced herself that her offer really had been made out of friendship only.  Her body, however, had other ideas.

           She could feel the heat he generated and found herself recalling all the times when she’d snuggled into his warmth after yet another long day spent trying to rebuild the Liberty’s engines.  He would never know how many times she had almost given up.  How only the thought of his disappointment if she did, kept her going, that and the knowledge that he would be there at night to hold her close, giving her the courage to continue for one more day.

           In so many ways, she missed the closeness they had shared, although she didn’t miss the Liberty at all.  That had been a constant battle, the ship actually seeming to take a certain masochistic delight in foiling her every effort to hold it together.

           She heard him sigh and wondered if he was remembering, too.  When he sighed again, and rolled over, she was certain of it.

           She lay still on her back, waiting.  Sure enough, he rolled back toward her.  She turned her head towards him and caught him staring at her, a predatory, almost hungry look on his face.  It was an expression she had once known very well.

           Chakotay lifted one hand and just brushed her shoulder with the back of his fingers.    She shivered slightly but didn’t move, unsure of her own feelings and desires.  He propped himself up on one elbow, wanting to see her face more clearly in the gloom.

           “B’Elanna,” he spoke very softly in a low purr.

           She shivered again, this time reacting to the sound of his voice. “Wh-what?” she croaked, then cleared her throat self-consciously.

           “Why did you ask if I had anyone in my life now?”

           “I…”  She cleared her throat and tried to sound nonchalant.  “I was just curious.”

           “Was that the only reason?”

           Her eyes were huge as she stared up at him.  Somehow, without her realizing, he had moved closer, right up against her.  “No,” she whispered.

           Chakotay brushed her cheek very lightly, just letting his fingertips trail across her face.  “What else?” he whispered.

           She swallowed, fighting for control even as she felt want and need scorch through her.   “I…wondered…if maybe…you and I…oh god, Chakotay!” she burst out abruptly as she turned to face him, throwing herself at his chest, growling fiercely.  Her teeth found the spot on his neck below the ear and she bit down before retreating to her side of the bed, panting, suddenly afraid she had misinterpreted his intentions.

           He flinched and his hand flew up to the wound, but he didn’t push her away as she almost expected.  Instead, he moved over her, covering her body with his as he lowered his face to hang mere centimetres above hers.  She could feel his erection, stiff, poking into her stomach, a feeling that increased her own desire exponentially.   Almost unconsciously, her hips jerked hard against him.  That was all the signal he needed and he dropped his head to take her mouth hard.

           B”Elanna was lost.  All reason and sanity went out the window as Chakotay plundered her mouth, his tongue driving against hers, twisting and twining around it.  He pulled back enough to nip at her lips, then used his tongue to actually dig at the corner of her mouth.

           She nearly had an orgasm right then, lust pouring through her in endless waves.

           Chakotay rolled off her and tugged at the straps of her nightgown.  In seconds, she was naked.  He wiggled out of his own briefs and moved back over her.

           “B’Ela, I want you – now!”

           She sighed ecstatically and opened her legs.  He settled his hips against hers, then lifted up enough to nudge the tip of his penis against her.  She reached down and put her hand on it, rubbing him up and down her vulva, stimulating herself to the point where she hung right on the edge of climax.

           Her hand guided him into her, and then she pushed, taking him part way inside her.  Chakotay pulled back slightly then slammed hard into her, driving up against her cervix, filling her completely.  She screamed as the orgasm poured over her, her body jerking madly, uncontrollably.   Her breathing sounded harshly in his ear, stimulating him beyond control.  With a roar, he ejaculated deep within, flooding her to overflowing.

           Their bodies continued to pound against each other as they both released the sexual tension that had been building all evening.   Eventually, they had to slow down, out of air and exhausted from lovemaking more vigorous than either had known in a long time.  Chakotay’s head was buried in B’Elanna’s neck, inhaling her scent by the lungful.  He realized he’d forgotten just how intoxicating she smelled.

           After a few more deep breaths, he eased back and slipped out of her, lying down beside her, still panting lightly.

           “God, that felt good!” he murmured.  “I have missed you so much, and I hadn’t even realized it until tonight.”

           He turned to look at her.  “How do you feel?”

           She chuckled.  “You have to ask?!  A hell of a lot better than I did a few hours ago!”  She rolled over and sat up, then climbed out of bed.  “I’ll be back in a minute.”

           She returned a few minutes later, a damp washcloth and two towels in hand.  Pulling back the sheet, she carefully cleaned his entire genital area, then pushed him over so she could lay the towels beneath him.  He grinned at her over his shoulder.

           “You did that the very first time we made love.  Do you remember?”

           “Oh yes, very well.”

           He took her hand and removed the cloth, then pulled her down beside him, his arm around her, her head on his chest.  She draped one arm across his ribcage, then leaned forward to lightly bite one of his nipples.  He gasped slightly as desire stirred in his loins.

           “That’s a new trick.  Did you learn it from Tom?”

           “Hmmm.  He said he found it very erotic.  What do you think?”

           “I think he might be right.”  She bit the other nipple and he shifted slightly.  “Oh yeah, definitely.”  His penis, flaccid before, was now semi-erect.
 
           “Want me to go on?”

           “Sure,” he gasped out.  “Anything you like.”

           She slid down his torso until her face was buried between his legs.  She carefully and thoroughly licked his scrotum, then before he knew what she was doing, ran a fingernail across his anus.  He jerked, and she did it again.

           “B’Ela, that tickles!”

           “Good.  It’s meant to.  More?”

           “Hell, yes!”

           She eased her little finger just inside, wiggling it around carefully so her nail didn’t scratch him.  At the same time, she grasped his penis in her other hand and massaged vigorously, sliding her hand up and down in a firm grasp, then bent over and sucked the head hard.

           Chakotay cried out as bolts of passion shot through him.  He completely lost control as his penis hardened instantly.  “B’Elanna!” he only had time to shout before his semen shot out in great spurts, covering them both.

           B’Elanna had raised her head at his warning and missed the full effect in her mouth.  Now she grinned, her finger still up his ass as his hips continued to jerk uncontrollably.  Her thumb pushed against the base of his penis as if to force out every last drop.   He fell back against the pillows exhausted, gasping heavily for air.  Gradually, his breathing slowed and he was able to speak.

           “Good lord, B’Ela!  Paris teach you that too?!”

           “Yup.  Like it?”

           “Yeah, of course.”

           “But?”

           “I wonder where he learned it.”

           “Remember Sandrine?”

           Chakotay stared at her.  “You’re kidding!”

           “Tom said she was a wonderful teacher,” B’Elanna remarked in a deceptively casual voice.  Her tone was belied by the mischievous grin dancing across her face.

           Chakotay shook his head in amazement.  “You just never know about some people.  I wonder if he programmed all of her abilities into her hologram.”

           “Knowing Tom, I wouldn’t doubt it.  Of course, he probably had certain parts of her program encrypted.”

           “Most likely.”  He grinned up at her slyly.  “I must admit I’m very grateful to him.”

           She reached behind her for a pillow and whacked him soundly.  “Mind your manners.  And yes, you should be.  I learned a lot from him.”  Her voice softened and she smiled reminiscently.  “We had some fun times.”    She retrieved the damp cloth from beside the bed and cleaned up both of them as she spoke.

           He reached out a hand to her.  “Okay?”

           “Never better.”  She leaned over him, propping herself on his chest and gazed deep into his eyes.  “I’m very glad you’re here with me.  I never stopped loving you, Chakotay, ever.  It was always there, tucked in a corner.  We’ve been through so much together.  I hope…”  She hesitated, unsure how to finish her thought.  She didn’t want to pressure him, or presume unduly.

           He smiled up at her, a big happy smile, one she hadn’t seen for a long, long time, the one that made the sun shine even when it was cold and dark outside.

           “Sweetheart, I still love you, too.   And I’ve wasted far too much time searching for happiness when there it was, right under my nose.  I foolishly let you go, B’Ela, and believe me, I came to regret it.  I thought I was in love with Kathryn but I know now I was in love with only one part of her, the woman I knew on New Earth.  But Kathryn Janeway is much more than that.   The captain will always be part of her – that’s who she is – and I couldn’t live with that.  I’m very, very lucky to have found you again.”

           He pulled her head down and kissed her long and slow, sealing their bond, then continued.   “And, you know, I think becoming friends as we did was a good thing.   There are parts of your personality that I would never have known otherwise, and I’m very glad I do.”
 
           B’Elanna felt her whole world shift, then settle into place.  Yes, this was where she belonged – with him.  She always had.  A strange and wonderful sensation crept through her and it took a few seconds for her to identify it – complete and utter joy.  She couldn’t remember ever feeling so idiotically happy, as if she only had to spread her arms to soar out the window and over the rooftops.

           Chakotay watched her expression change from loving to surprise to total ecstasy.  There was a light in her eyes that he’d never seen before and which he knew he’d put there.   As they settled down to sleep, he silently made a promise to himself to do everything in his power to make sure it never disappeared.
 

                                         =^= =^= =^= =^= =^= =^=
 

           Chakotay was first to wake, early the following morning.  He lay content, the centre of his universe asleep at his side.  He smiled softly, remembering the look on her face just before they fell asleep.  Out of nowhere, an idea popped into his head and, intrigued, he paused to consider it.  His eyes wandered over his companion again, wondering what she would think of it.   Might as well find out.

           He slid out of bed and strolled into the kitchen, aiming for the replicator.  Ordering a large raktajino, he turned and headed back to the bedroom, where he slowly waved the mug under her nose, letting the odor of Klingon special blend gradually wake her up.

           B’Elanna moaned softly, her eyes opening bit by bit as consciousness returned.  Eventually, she was able to focus on the delicious smell wafting past her face.  She sat up and rubbed her eyes, blinked, then grinned at him and reached to take his offering.

           She sipped it carefully, then sighed happily.  “Thanks. Mmm, I could get used to this very easily, you know.”

           “Enjoy it while you can, my love.  Or at least until you can get more replicators working on Dorvan.”

           “That’s an incentive, certainly.”

           He sat down on the bed beside her and waited for her to drink a bit more, then took the mug and put it down on the table.  As her eyebrows went up in question, he took her hands and began to explain.

           “I had an idea just a little while ago, and I want to see what you think.  And give me your honest opinion, not what you think I want to hear.”

           At her nod, he went on.  “How would you like to get married?”

           B’Elanna sat completely still, too stunned to speak for several seconds.  “Now?” she finally managed to get out.

           “Sure.  Or if that’s too soon, when you want to.  It occurred to me… well actually, several things occurred to me.  First was a piece of advice that my mother gave me, in fact the last thing she ever said to me.  Do you remember?   She told me you were a good woman and I should find a nice place to make a home and settle down with you.”

           B’Elanna nodded with a wistful smile.  “I remember very well.  I remember, too, how much I liked her, how comfortable she made me feel, even though she hardly knew me.  She was such a warm person.  And I remember thinking how lucky you were, growing up with a mother like her.”

           Chakotay reached for her, dropping his face into her shoulder.  “More lucky than I knew,” he whispered sadly.

           She stroked his hair gently, and held him close to her.  They stayed still for over a minute before he sat up, then rose to go to the kitchen for a drink of water.  She knew he needed a moment alone and made no move to follow.

           His composure restored, he came back and continued with what he’d been saying.   “I realized as well that, if we wanted to get married under Federation law, which would probably be a good idea to preserve the legal niceties, it might prove rather difficult on Dorvan.  There’s no real government yet, you see.  In fact, I probably constitute most of what there is.  So, that means there’s no one to marry us.   I suppose we don’t need a civil ceremony, but I’d like it, if just a brief one, and I think you would, too.”  He looked at her questioningly – she nodded her agreement.

           “Therefore, it makes sense to get married here, doesn’t it, before we leave.  What do you think?”

           She looked at him, and started to grin.  “I think it’s a great idea and I agree – on two conditions.  First of all, I want a proper proposal with all the bells and whistles, and second, I’d like rings.  I realize they may not be part of your tradition, but they’re something I would like to have.  Agreed?”

           Chakotay stared at her, a little surprised, then began to chuckle.  “Yes, my love, agreed.”  He pulled her out of bed.

           “What are you doing?”  she demanded.

           “Getting you up so we can go do the proposal properly.  And then make the other arrangements.  Come on.  What are you waiting for?”

           He grabbed his clothes and threw them on.  “Get dressed,” he ordered.  “I’ve got a couple of errands to run, but I want you ready to go by the time I get back.”

           “Yes, sir!” she replied smartly, galvanized into action.  This was going to be fun!  She could hardly wait to see what he came up with.

           An hour later, Chakotay returned looking very pleased with himself.  To all her demands and threats of what she would do to him if he didn’t answer her questions, he simply smiled very sweetly and said absolutely nothing except to ask if she was ready to go.

           B’Elanna retorted that she had no idea, because she didn’t know where they were going or if what she had on was appropriate.  He glanced over her peremptorily and said she looked fine.  Which told her exactly nothing.

           He held open the door, gallantly gesturing her to lead the way.  Once outside, he tucked her arm securely in his and led her down the street to the nearest public transporter.  He made sure that she couldn’t see what instructions he handed the operator and she stepped on the pads, still with absolutely no clue where they were going.

           Their bodies shimmered into nothing, then rematerialized on a clifftop overlooking an ocean.  The sun was in the same part of the sky so they hadn’t changed time zones – it was the Pacific.  The land rolled away behind them in a mixture of forest and meadow covering a series of hills, which rose in the distance to become mountains.

           “Where are we?”  was B’Elanna’s first question.

           “Up the coast a way.  It’s a place I first found a long time ago when I was at the Academy.   A friend who came from this area brought me here once and I really liked it.”  Chakotay glanced around.  “I used to come a lot when I was a cadet.  It isn’t at all like Dorvan but there’s a…” he paused, searching for the right word, “a sense of peace, a restfulness, that reminds me of a particular spot back home where I used to go when I wanted to think.  You know, this place hasn’t changed at all, and it must be nearly thirty years since I first stood here.”

           She gazed out at the ocean, aware now of the scent of pines mixed with the tang of salt air, drifting on the breeze.  “I see what you mean.”

           “Can you feel it?”

           “Yes, I can.”  She turned slowly, feeling a calmness seep into her soul.  “It’s wonderful, as if all your cares just drop away, and your mind can float.  I wish I’d known about it when I was at the Academy.  I sure could have used it then.”

           Chakotay smiled, then reached to take her hand, pulling her around to face him and looking deep into her eyes.  “B’Elanna Torres, I love you with all my heart and soul.  I want us to spend the rest of our lives together, wherever that may be.  Will you marry me?”

           She smiled tremulously, her heart pounding even though she had known what he would say.  Her hand wandered up to his cheek, then traced his tattoo lightly as she gazed up at him.  So much had happened to them, good things and bad, and yet here they were.
 
           “Yes,” she answered softly.  “If we can still be together after all the twists and turns our lives have taken, then yes, it’s meant to be, and I will marry you.”

           He bent his head and kissed her gently, his tongue just brushing her lips.  Her body reacted to his proximity, as it always did, even though they were barely touching.  He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box.

           “You didn’t say anything about an engagement ring, but I thought you might like this.  It’s a very old tradition of my people.”

           He opened the box to show her a wide silver bracelet, heavily engraved.  He took it out, then, lifting her hand, placed it around her wrist.  It molded itself to fit snugly, but not too tight.  She stared at it, stunned.

           “Chakotay!” she gasped.  “Is this your mother’s bracelet?!  I remember seeing it on her arm!   How on earth did you get it?!”
 
           “It’s been on Dorvan.  My cousin found it when he first went back there.  They were poking through the ruins of the village and – there it was.  I guess it wanted to be found.  From the design on it and the place where he discovered it, I’m sure it was my mother’s.  My father gave it to her before they were married.   One of the first memories I have is of tracing the design as she held me in her lap, while my father told us stories of our people.  That’s how I learned our tribal history.   I’ve kept it with me as part of my medicine bundle.  Now, it is yours.”

           B’Elanna wiggled it slightly.  “Will it come off?  How does it do that, anyway?  Fit like that?”

           “I don’t know exactly, but if it does, then it’s a sign that the couple are meant to be together.  In effect, the bracelet confirms a man’s choice of mate.  I don’t think it comes off, but maybe it does if the marriage doesn’t last.  I’ve never heard of that happening, actually.  It’s…not alive, exactly, but in a way, it is sentient.”

           He ran his thumb across the engraving.  “There’s more to it than just confirming my choice of a bride.  It also means that since the bracelet has accepted you, then the tribe will, too.”

           Her eyes shot up to his in surprise.  “You mean otherwise they would not allow me to marry you?”

           “The traditionalists would make that argument, yes, although a lot of the younger people are not so bound by the old customs anymore.  While I’m glad to see it is willing to be worn by you, I would marry you anyway.  But it does make our joining much easier, considering that we’ll be living there.”

           B’Elanna had a sudden thought.  “Chakotay, is there likely to be a problem because I’m part Klingon?”

           “No, not at all.  The bracelet has confirmed that.  I will introduce you to the elders as my bride, and they’ll teach you what you need to know to become a member of the tribe.   When they believe you’re prepared, they’ll perform a welcoming ritual during which you will be formally initiated.  After that, there will be a traditional wedding which will involve a short ceremony and a lot of celebrating.”  He looked at her concerned.  “Are you okay with all that?  I mean, we don’t have to do it, if you don’t want to.  But it will confirm your place as a full member of the tribe, and in my position, that could be useful.”

           She looked startled.  “What do you mean, ‘your position’?”

           “I told you.  For the moment, I’m the de facto government until we can set up a proper one with elections and so forth.”

           She looked suspicious as the pieces began to fall into place.  “And just how did you end up as the ‘de facto government’?”

           Chakotay sighed.  Better tell her now and get it all out in the open.  “I’m the hereditary chief of the tribe.  There are an elected chief and a council of elders, who actually run things, but as well, there is an hereditary chief.  And I’m it.”

           “Your father was chief before he died?  And your children will be after you?”

           “Yes.  It is a male hierarchy.  My son, if I have one, will succeed me, but not my daughter.  If I don’t have a son, then the position passes to my nearest male relative, who is my cousin.”

           B’Elanna’s voice held a speculative note.  “So I will be wife of the chief, and eventually mother of one, if I bear you a son.”

           “Yes.”

           “What’s involved?  Would I have to do anything or is it just a title?”

           “It depends on you.  These days, when the tribe is so small, ritual is kept to a minimum.  We just don’t have time for it right now.  But I would think in a few years, once we get back on our feet, that it will start to play a bigger role in our lives again.  You can be as involved or not as you wish.  It’s not a particularly arduous position – you will live pretty much as you would anyway.  It’s just that, now and then, there will be a few extra duties.  I remember my mother had to perform a blessing ceremony each time there was a wedding, to ensure the couple would have many children.  And at harvest, she inspected the fields and declared when the crops were ripe.  But the farmers made the actual decisions about which ones were ready, she didn’t.”  He stopped, not sure how much she needed to hear right now.
 
           B’Elanna gazed at the bracelet, and then at him.  “I am honoured that it has accepted me.  And I will do my best to uphold the traditions of the tribe.”  She chuckled.  “If there’s one thing every Klingon understands very well, it is the importance of ritual.  I will not dishonour you.”

           “Then come, my bride.  Let’s get married.”

           “And when we get to Dorvan, we’ll do it again – traditionally?”

           “Yes.   Right now, I just want to make us legal.  Okay?”

           “Lead the way!”

           Chakotay pulled out a communicator and requested transport to the nearest Marriage Commissioner’s Office.   A few minutes later, they found themselves in downtown San Francisco outside an older building near the harbourfront.

           They entered and in less than twenty minutes had become husband and wife.  Both found it somewhat anti-climactic.   She hadn’t even had any flowers, reflected B’Elanna, but then, this was just a legal formality so their marriage would be official in the eyes of the Federation authorities.  The real wedding would come on Dorvan.  And she thought, looking at her finger with its gold band, Chakotay had honoured her request for rings.

           As they strolled down the street, her hand tucked into his elbow, B’Elanna thought back over events of the last day.  Good lord, less than twenty-four hours ago, she hadn’t even known Chakotay was anywhere near Earth!  The thought made her start to smile, then chuckle before actually chortling aloud.

           He glanced down at her, smiling.  “Happy?”

           “Oh yes!”

           “What’s so funny?”

           “I was just thinking about how much my life has changed in one day.  This time yesterday I was trying not to get into another big fight with my idiot supervisor, who thinks he knows everything and in fact knows nothing!  And look at me now!  I can go and tell him exactly what I think of him!  I am going to enjoy that – very, very much!”
 
           She licked her lips in anticipation, then grinned up at him.  “You rescued me from a fate worse than death, you know.”

           “I did?!  How?”

           “By taking me away from a life of boredom and predictability, where every day was exactly like the next.  The challenge was gone, Chakotay.  I was miserable and I didn’t even know it!  Now…now I feel alive!  Life is fun again, I’m looking forward to each day.”  She turned, halting their advance down the street, and looked up at him.  “I’m more grateful than you can imagine, for coming to find me.”

           Chakotay gave her a quick kiss, then resumed their progress, arriving at the transporter station a minute later.  Shortly after, they found themselves back at her apartment.

           They walked in, looked around, then grinned at each other.  “Let’s start packing.  We have a lot to do,” suggested B’Elanna, and they set to work.
 

                                         =^= =^= =^= =^= =^= =^=
 

           Nearly three weeks later, an old, decrepit freighter inched its way down onto the landing pad of the small spaceport on Dorvan Five, rebuilt near the site of Chakotay’s village.  As the ground crew began to unload its cargo, Chakotay and B’Elanna strode down the ramp into the hot, dry air.  They looked about, taking in their surroundings.

           B’Elanna tried to see if there was anything at all she recognized in the desolate landscape before her.  Boy, she thought, the Cardassians really did a number on this place!  It used to be so much greener!  She remembered the forested hills and lush meadows from her previous visit.  All gone now.  In every direction, the land stretching out in front of her was little better than a desert.  She could see that she would have her work cut out for her.

           She glanced at Chakotay.  He had his eyes glued to a figure coming slowly toward them.  His whole posture was stiff, his body tensed as he stared.  Intrigued, she turned to see what had caught his attention.

           The figure was walking a little faster, the person hunched over as if in pain.  The hair was dark and long, tied back.  She felt Chakotay catch his breath in a sob.  “Oh my god!” he whispered, his voice a mixture of astonishment and horror.

           B’Elanna stared, trying to see what he saw – and then she did.  As her own breath caught in her throat, Chakotay dashed forward, catching the figure up in his arms with a shout of joy.  “Nileah!  You’re alive!”

           Now B’Elanna was running too, wanting to believe but as yet not sure.  It couldn’t be – could it?!  After all these years in Cardassian prisons, how could she have survived?!

           She reached them and pulled on Chakotay’s arm, needing to see for herself.  The woman’s face was lined and haggard, old long before her time, but in the eyes, there was a spark.   She was a shadow of her former self, but she was Nileah.

           “You’re alive!” shouted B’Elanna, repeating Chakotay’s words.  “How…?  Where…?  When did you get here?”

           Nileah tried to speak but couldn’t get any words past the tears pouring down her face.   B’Elanna could see how frail she was; why, she could barely support her weight!  When she remembered the sturdy, boisterous young woman she had met less than a decade before, she could hardly believe it was the same person.

           Chakotay held his sister securely, his cheeks wet as he looked at the miracle before him.   For so long, he had believed they were all gone – his entire family destroyed in one terrible stroke.  Now he held the proof in his arms that the Cardassians hadn’t won, that in spite of everything they could do to her, his little sister had survived.  He buried his face in her hair and whispered her name.

           His voice got her attention and she lifted a hand to his face, a smile transforming her own.  Then she turned to B’Elanna and held out her hand.  “My brother, B’Elanna, I am so glad to see you both and to know that you are still together.  I have waited such a long time for this day.”  Her voice croaked from emotion.

           B’Elanna embraced them both tightly.  “So have I,” she whispered.  “At last, I have a family and a place where we can live in peace.”

           As they started toward the terminal, Nileah happened to catch sight of B’Elanna’s wrist.  She stopped, stunned, unable at first to believe that the bracelet could have survived.  She looked up at her brother.

           “Is it possible?!” she breathed.  “Is it Hama’s bracelet?!”

           He nodded.  “Yes.  Tandikay discovered it near the ruins of the house.  I guess it didn’t want to be found until someone from our family came to look for it.  He thought it was Hama’s but wasn’t sure, so he asked me when I came back.  I knew right away that it was.”

           “And it has accepted B’Elanna,” her voice was a statement.  “That’s good.  There will be no argument from the elders about her.”  She straightened her back as her heart lifted.   While she would never fully recover from all the horrors and indignities she had suffered, for the first time in far too long, she found herself looking hopefully towards the future.  Life would be good again.

           Chakotay and B’Elanna held hands tightly as they walked with Nileah out of the building, and started down the road to the village.  The place didn’t look like much right now, but with a little luck and a lot of hard work, they would revitalize the land, making it green again, and in the process, make a good life for themselves.

           They reached the first of the rebuilt houses and stopped, looking about them.  Chakotay squeezed B’Elanna’s hand and murmured,  “Welcome home.”