MacTate

By Mel Dent

A not very Shakespearean tale of shady deals, lust, astrology and Emmerdale.

It was a dark and stormy night in Emmerdale. Mandy Dingle sat in a secluded spot with only her astrology charts for company.

"When shall we three meet again?" She mused aloud. "When they bloody well learn to turn up on time!" She added caustically on hearing footsteps.

"Sorry we’re late!" Viv Windsor and Edna Birch, the other two members of Mandy’s Mystic Triad, took their seats. Viv was wearing a long raincoat, and little else, while Edna was wrapped in a thick cloak and long skirt. "It was due to unforeseen circumstances."

"She means she actually had a customer." Edna quipped.

"I don’t need to know the details." Mandy said quickly. "Let’s get started. I have here Chris MacTate’s astrological profile. Very interesting indeed!"

"Do tell!" Viv said.

"He’s going to be the Yorkshire Businessman of the Year. He’s going to find a woman who’ll get one over on him."

"I don’t want to know about that. That’s disgusting." Edna said.

"It doesn’t necessarily mean a leg-over." Mandy said. "It could just mean she outsmarts him."

"Then what?"

"He’ll be hunted by someone he once wronged."

"Well, that could be just about anyone." Edna said.

"Your skepticism is unhealthy." Mandy said with disdain. "When shall we three meet again, in thunder, lightning or in rain?"

"Oh God no, can’t it be somewhere drier next time?" Viv pleaded.

"When the Business Deal is done, when Tara’s money is secured and won." Mandy said.

"That should be about lunchtime tomorrow." Viv said.

"Where the place, on the village green, there to meet with,"

"MacTate." They said in unison.

"I think we can agree that that was a successful meeting." Laura Johnstone said, as soon as Tara Thornfield was out of earshot.

"I suppose." Zoe MacTate was noncommittal.

"She signed on the line, Zoe. That’s what matters." Chris said.

"I’ll go and get some champagne." Laura said. "See you at the Haulage Yard later on."

"I’ve got to go as well." Zoe said. "One of Zak Dingle’s pigs wants seeing to."

"Whatever turns you on." Chris said. "See you at the Yard later on."

Chris wheeled himself across the village green where he found Edna, Viv & Mandy in a conspicuous huddle.

"By ‘Eck! It’s the Yorkshire Businessman of the year." Mandy exclaimed.

"The one subject to female guile." Viv added.

"Soon to be hunted by someone wronged." Edna finished.

"You don’t half talk crap." Chris said. "For one thing, the shortlist of contenders for Businessman of the year isn’t even finalized yet. Secondly, I’ve no time for women and thirdly, everyone hates me and wants me dead. I’d love to stay and chat but I have more important things to attend to back at the Haulage yard."

"Ignore your horoscope at your peril!" Mandy said with doom-laden tones.

"Mandy!" Bernice sought her out in the Woolpack.

"Hi Bernice!"

"Mandy, I need a prediction. I want to know if Ashley & I will be together forever."

"Seems like you already have!" Edna quipped.

Mandy consulted her chart. "I see a long and troubled love line. I also see a chess piece."

"Are me or Ash going to take up chess?" Bernice was puzzled.

"It’s a specific piece Bernice. A Bishop to be precise. I see a hand smashing it."

"That’s something." Bernice said, giving Edna a superior look.

Ashley arrived at that point and put his arms around Bernice’s waist. He pulled her back against him and kissed her neck.

"It’s disgraceful." Viv & Edna said in unison.

"Come on Ash, let’s ignore those two witches." She took him by the hand and led him over to the bar,

"Chris, it’s only a load of astrological rubbish." Laura said. "Deal with cold hard facts, not fleecy predictions."

"But Laura, only you & Zoe even know about the Businessman of the Year nominations. It hasn’t been in the Hotten Courier and she sounded so sure."

"Chris, if you win it’ll be because you’ve earned it, not because some gaudily dressed, half-witted Dingle woman fancies herself as Justin Toper."

"You’re right, Laura. As usual." Chris said.

"You know I am." She said.

"Just then Sean Reynolds came in, accompanied by Eric Pollard."

"What do you want, Eric?" Chris said, coldly.

"Just to let you know I’m in the running for Yorkshire Businessman of the year. I daresay you are too so may the most unscrupulous man win."

"Sounds like you’ve got it in the bag already then Eric." Laura said.

"Sean, show Eric off the premises will you?" Chris said.

"He can’t win surely?" Chris said. "What is he? An unscrupulous loan shark who flogs artifacts of dubious authenticity that your granny wouldn’t buy."

"He has his fingers in a few pies." Laura replied.

"Remind me not to eat another then." Chris said, draining his champagne flute dry.

"The best way to deal with opposition is to see it off." Laura said. perching on the corner of Chris’ desk. He tried not to notice her tight skirt riding up her legs. Her aloof attitude and her pristine beauty, was a real turn on.

"How do you mean?"

"A little ‘accident’ perhaps?"

"Laura, you are ruthless." Chris smiled. "But I like you for it."

"I didn’t get this far by lying back and thinking of Scotland you know."

"More’s the pity!" Chris thought.

Eric Pollard was so full of what he perceived to be his imminent accolade that he failed to notice the MacTate Haulage truck until it was almost upon him. He dived into the hedge and it missed him by a hair’s half breadth. He lay bleeding and motionless with shock.

"You’re not serious?" Diane Blackstock was wide-eyed. "Eric Pollard? Crushed by a MacTate truck?. I’ve never liked the man but no one deserves that."

"What happened?" Marlon asked, coming out of the kitchen with his arm around Tricia’s waist. Diane told him.

Marlon turned pale. "Last time Pollard and I spoke we had a row. Angie Reynolds heard us and now she’ll try and pin it on me, just you wait."

"You’ve got a layby Marlon." Tricia said, kissing him. "You were with me."

"I think you mean alibi." Diane said, with a smile.

"I take it you know about Pollard." Marlon said to Mandy.

"A near fatal accident interrupts pre-emptive elation." Mandy said. "I warned him and he laughed in my face."

"Ash, are you sure?" Bernice turned pale and put her arms around him.

"Yes. The Bishop has had a massive heart attack. He’s been hospitalized."

"At least that gets him out of our hair for a bit." Bernice said.

"I know." He drew her closer to him and kissed her tenderly, taking no notice of Edna’s disapproving glare. She was thinking of Mandy’s prediction. A long but troubled love line. A chess piece. A Bishop. Being smashed by a hand. The hand of God? She did not dare tell Ashley, being a Vicar he had no time for astrology.

"Come on Ash!" She said, seductively. "Let’s go upstairs. Edna’s got no one to complain to now."

"Just thought you should know." Laura said. "Pollard’s in a critical condition. Puts him out of the running, for the time being at least."

"You’re brilliant!" Chris smiled. "I’d hate to make an enemy of you."

The fax machine whirred into life and Chris retrieved the sheet of paper.

"My God!" He said. "Mandy was right. You’re looking at the Yorkshire Business Consortium’s Businessman of the year 2000."

"Congratulations!" Laura said.

"What did I tell you?" Mandy came into the Post Office, waving the Hotten Courier. "Businessman of the Year."

"It’s just coincidence." Edna snorted derisively.

"Like the Bishop having a heart attack? Eric Pollard having an accident? Come on Edna. One would be coincidence. Three predictions coming true is uncanny."

"I haven’t raked over the ashes of an old flame yet." Viv said.

"Give it time!" Mandy said as she and Edna left.

Terry Woods came in. He was casually dressed.

"Hello Terry." Viv fluttered her eyelashes. If she was truthful she had never stopped wanting him although they had parted on bad terms as lovers.

"Hello Viv." Terry was uneasy. He picked up a packet of biscuits and some cheap after-shave. Viv leaned across the counter and Terry tried not to look down her cleavage. She might have a cut glass tongue at times but she was still a woman and a desirable one at that.

"Viv, I were wondering." Terry faltered. "You look nice today by the way."

"Thank you. So do you."

"How can I put this Viv", Terry looked into her eyes. "I always thought your clothes looked better on the bedroom floor like."

"Really?" Viv pulled him close and kissed him. Terry flushed. They broke the kiss shortly before Emily Dingle arrived.

"Good morning Terry. Mrs Windsor."

"Morning Emily. You’re just in time. Terry and I have some, er, catching up to do."

"No problem. I’ll be here."

"Come on!" Viv said, grabbing Terry’s hand and leading him out the back. "Let’s relight that fire."

"Congratulations Chris!" Sean, Frankie and Zoe said on hearing of Chris’ success.

"Thanks." He said. However he was worried. Mandy’s predictions were coming true at an alarming rate and he didn’t even know about Viv, Terry, Bernice, Ashley and the Bishop.

"Chris, you know I’ve always fancied you." Laura said, as they sat at Home Farm that evening. She was perched provocatively on a chair.

"The feeling’s entirely mutual." He replied.

"Then let’s do something about it." Laura said. "We want each other, what’s stopping us?"

"Nothing at all." Chris said.

"Precisely. Besides sexual tension between colleagues is not good for business."

Laura settled herself next to Chris on the sofa. They kissed with a passionate urgency that took her breath away and she unbuttoned his shirt. He held her tightly. She adjusted her position so that she could comfortably and gently push him backwards, but not before he expertly divested her of her own clothing. Laura realized that Chris’ inability to walk did not diminish his capability in other areas. She smiled, knowing she had him right where she wanted him in more ways than once.

"Sean knows more than is good for him." Chris said at breakfast the next morning. Zoe & Frankie had already left Home Farm.

"We have to be careful, Chris."

"Why? Just because his wife’s a copper? Angie doesn’t scare me. Her quarrel is with the Dingles anyway."

"Exactly."

"Meaning?"

"Cain Dingle hates her for harassing his family. Cain hates you too but he’ll do anything for cash. Like just happen to run into Sean on a dark night up at the Yard. Put the fear of God into him!"

"I think you’ll find that that’s Ashley’s job." Chris said. "Still, it has merit."

"Of course it does." Laura said. "I thought of it."

"What do you want?" Cain Dingle asked, ill-disguising his contempt for Chris.

"We want someone to put the frighteners on Sean Reynolds." Chris said. "He knows too much if you catch my drift."

"Uncle Zak will kill me if I get into any more trouble." Cain said.

"Where’s your sense of adventure, that Dingle spirit?" Chris asked. "I can make it worth your while."

"Now you’re talking. But I ain’t killing anyone."

"I’m not asking you to. Just rough him up a bit that’s all."

"Alright." Cain said. "I know it were you arranged for Pollard to have an accident."

"What do you care about Eric Pollard?" Laura asked.

"Nowt. Or for Sean Reynolds either."

"He’ll be on security patrol here tonight." Chris said.

"I’ll sort it." Cain said.

Sean & Marc Reynolds were at the haulage yard. It was late in the evening. Marc was talking to his father about his future prospects, his relationship with Donna Windsor and father and son stuff in general.

"Dad, I heard footsteps." Marc said, breaking off suddenly. Sean stood his ground and shone his torch right into Cain Dingle’s face.

"Evening Sean." Cain said. "You & I need to have a little talk about your wife’s continual harassment of my family. It isn’t nice and it’s getting a bit much. You know what I’m saying?"

"Take it up with Angie, not me." Sean said.

"I don’t do violence on women." Cain said. grabbing Sean by his collar and almost lifting him off the ground.

"Dad!" Marc said in alarm.

"Run lad! Go get some help!"

"Try the Vicarage." Cain said, a look of malevolence on his face. "Chances are your dad will be needing Ashley by the time I’m through with him."

Marc fled in blind panic.

To celebrate the double success of Chris MacTate’s election as Yorkshire Businessman of the Year and Lady Tara’s investment in MacTate Haulage, he. Zoe, Laura and Frankie decided to throw a massive party at Home Farm and invite the whole village. They knew very well that not everyone would come, considering that Chris was probably the most hated man in the village but it was also surprising how often people were prepared to swallow their pride and enmity for the sake of free food and entertainment.

"Are you sure about this, Emily love?" Zak Dingle asked. "You don’t have to go if you don’t want."

"I want to." Emily said. "No matter what that report said, Chris MacTate and MacTate Haulage are responsible for the death of my husband, your son. I don’t want their blood money. What I want is to prick his conscience with my very existence. One day he will admit liability. One blessed day. Mrs Windsor, Kathy & Betty say I shouldn’t give up."

"I admire your determination." Charity said.

"Mrs Windsor’s very happy these days." Sam said. "I were ten minutes late today and she didn’t have a go at me or nothing."

"She’s got a boyfriend, Sam." Emily said.

"Oh Aye. And who would that be?" Lisa said, intrigued.

"Terry Woods."

"That’s old news that." Zak said.

"Well, I guess the fire’s been rekindled." Charity replied.

Chris sat watching. He saw Laura dancing with Carlos Diaz, which caused him to feel a stab of jealousy. Bernice, looking sensational in a black cocktail dress, was dancing very seductively, pressed close to her beloved Ashley. Viv & Terry were strutting their stuff; their original affair had come about as a result of dancing lessons after all. Viv actually looked happy, Chris thought.

"Chris!" A hollow, yet not unfamiliar voice, spoke his name. Chris turned and a scream froze in his throat. Before him stood Pete Collins; the luckless MacTate Haulage driver who had died on impact in the bus crash. Pete’s limbs were distorted and mutilated and he was covered in blood and shards of windshield glass.

"Not a pretty sight is it?" Pete said. "You did this to me, MacTate. Lisa told me that the truck wasn’t safe. I told you but you still had me take it. Once again you put profit before safety and human life. Look how many lives you ruined!"

"I’m sorry Pete." Chris croaked in a barely audible voice.

"You don’t know the meaning of the word." Pete said coldly.

"Try telling Emily how sorry you are." Butch Dingle appeared beside Pete. "How dare you insult her and my memory by offering her money? It won’t take her pain away. Us Dingles may be less than scum in your eyes but we’ve more ethics than you ever will. You’ll pay one day. Believe me!"

"The report cleared us; me, MacTate Haulage." Chris stammered.

"Aye, but did it clear your conscience?" Pete asked.

"Don’t be such a daft beggar, Pete. You know he ain’t got one." Butch said.

"Beware MacTate." Pete said. He & Butch disappeared, leaving nothing but a chill breeze and a faint odor of death to prove that they had been there at all.

"Chris!" Laura shook him. "You’ve gone white as a sheet. Look like you’ve just seen a ghost."

"Very funny." Chris said., but inside he felt cold and his stomach was knotted in fear.

"I have to see Mandy again." Chris thought. "Her predictions have all come true."

He found Mandy alone in the Woolpack.

"I need to know more." He said to her.

"Alright." She consulted his chart. "But you’re not going to like it."

"Just tell me." Chris clenched his fist. "I’ve got to know." Mandy was alarmed to see a cold sweat on Chris’ brow.

"Unexpected gold-mine brings trouble aplenty. Darkness dulls a sharp mind and revenge is served warm."

"Thanks." Said Chris, not sure if he should be grateful or not.

He wheeled himself to the bar and Diane came over to serve him.

"Where are Bernice & Ashley tonight?" He asked her.

"Upstairs. Since the Bishop had a heart attack they’re making the most of the fact that Edna has no one to complain to. Mandy were accurate, I’ll give her that."

"She predicted it?"

"She predicted a Bishop getting smashed by a hand." Diane said.

"I see."

"You’re rather pale, Chris. Are you alright?" Diane asked.

"I don’t want to talk about it Diane." He muttered into his pint.

"Laura?" Chris called, on waking to find her side of the bed empty. She’d been depressed of late, unable to concentrate. She came in, virtually catatonic. Her dark hair, marble complexion and icy blue eyes along with her pale nightshirt made her appear ghostly, ethereal. She sat on the edge of the bed furthest away from him. Unknown to either of them, Zoe and Frankie were in the next room, having just returned from a Gay club in Leeds.

"Eric Pollard had a life. Where’s he now? Sean Reynolds bears the mark of Cain. People are dead. Who is to blame? Money can’t bring them back. Made to pay. How? When? Is there blood on my hands as well as the tarnish on my soul. How can we cleanse it? Chris, my love. What have we done?"

"Well." Frankie said. "I think that answers a lot of questions."

"Emily, that’s terrific news!" Viv & Kathy said.

"The real truth will come out now." Emily said.

Emily’s father, John Wylie, had won the Lottery Jackpot and had send a small fortune to his daughter which she had decided to use to bring a private prosecution against Chris and MacTate Haulage.

"Will you help me please Kathy?" Emily asked. "I don’t know how or where to start."

"I’d be happy to help." Kathy hugged Emily.

"If there’s anything I can do." Viv said. "Take all the time off that you need."

"Thank you Mrs Windsor." Emily hugged Viv who was pleasantly taken aback.

"I don’t see why I have to chase all the legal stuff." Kelly Glover complained. "Isn’t that Laura’s job?"

"Laura attempted suicide last night." Zoe replied.

"That ain’t my fault." Kelly moaned. "If you ask me, sleeping with Chris as well as working for him is enough to drive anyone to it."

"Shame you didn’t succeed then." Thought Zoe critically. Aloud she said. "Any more comments like that and you’ll be looking for another job."

Laura was in a stable condition. She had take an overdose of tablets. Frankie had found her in the bathroom the morning after she & Zoe had eavesdropped on her bizarre ramblings.

"Like some mulled wine to celebrate?" Diane asked.

"Yes please Mrs Blackstock." Emily said.

Bernice fetched some glasses and poured the warm, red liquid into them.

"Not too loud though. Ashley won’t like the idea of me toasting revenge."

"Okay." Emily said. "Here’s to revenge."

"To Revenge!" Kathy said.

"How can Emily afford to prosecute us?" Was one of the first things that Laura said on regaining consciousness.

"Dad won the lottery." Chris answered. "Unexpected gold-mine."

"It looks bleak, Chris. But don’t worry. I’ll help you fight it."

"Maybe we deserve it." Chris sighed.

"Maybe."

The Prosecution found in Emily’s favor and Chris, Sean and Laura were sent to prison. Eric Pollard recovered and won the Businessman title by default since Chris was duly stripped of it. Mystic Mandy became a Household name and made her fortune as an astrologer. Emily was Matron of Honor as Viv married Terry. The Bishop retired due to ill health and his replacement wasted no time in marrying Ashley to his beloved Bernice. Diane wiped away a tear as her daughter married the man of her dreams but told Betty that she had dust in her eye. As this tale draws to a close let’s just say that all’s well that ended well – except if your name happens to be Chris MacTate!