.
.
 
Crossover

by Sharon Rovansek

Chapter 1

Buck’s eyes popped open and he lay still taking a few deep breaths. He realized he was in the bunkhouse, in his own bunk. He could hear the soft, regular breathing of the other riders and wished he could sleep as peacefully as his friends. His thoughts drifted back to the dream that had made his sleep so fitful. In his dream, a yellow jacket buzzed around his head as he was trying to sleep. He wanted to swat at it but was afraid it would sting him. So instead he just tried to avoid it but the yellow jacket was a persistent creature that would not leave him alone. He felt like running but that would just make the insect chase him and sting him anyway. It was really just an annoying little dream, but it was the last in a long string of dreams that had caused him to feel tired and nervous. 

The dreams had come on a regular basis for the last two months and it was more than their imagery that disturbed him. Buck used to look forward to sleeping as a means of escape from his everyday life. He knew he was lucky to have a regular job that brought him a measure of grudging respect from others, but he still felt empty and lonely since his best friend in the world had died a few months ago. He had finally accepted Ike’s death but wished with his entire soul that he could talk to Ike one last time. He would ask Ike if it was worth dying for a girl he had only known a week. He would ask what was it like to die and if he was in a better place now. Most importantly, he would ask if Ike missed him as much as he missed Ike. Buck sighed as he realized a little headache was beginning to form behind his right eye. 

Buck kicked at the blankets that had become tangled and twisted in the night and pushed them down to the bottom of the bunk with his feet. He sat up and glanced around the small room. Jimmy lay on his back and was snoring softly. Cody was asleep and curled up facing the wall. Buck could see he had fallen asleep while reading “Real Life Tales of Murder and Mayhem”, a dime novel he had picked up in town. For the last three days he had carried the book with him and insisted on reading pieces of it to anyone who happened to sit still for more than two minutes. Buck found the stories thrilling to be sure, but he didn’t know if the untimely and tragic deaths of innocent people should be the basis for entertainment. After all, what if Ike’s story had ended up in a book like that? Now Buck could see the book about to fall off the top bunk Cody used so he quietly got up and nudged the book further back on the bed. Turning to look behind him, he saw Kid sleeping and envied the young man who seemed to have the most control over his life. The Kid was a hard worker who seemed to have a set of rules he stuck to, no matter how complicated the situation was. He also had a loving relationship with Lou. Buck thought that they seemed to grow closer everyday and he was glad for them. Thinking of Lou caused Buck’s eyes to drift to her empty bunk. She was out on a run and was not expected back for two days.

Standing in the middle of the room Buck realized that he had an hour or so before the other occupants would stir and so he decided to go outside. Stepping into the shade of the porch, Buck momentarily felt good. The smooth boards felt cool under his bare feet and there was a little breeze stirring that refreshed him. He felt like opening his arms to the wind and morning sun but did not. Buck felt self-conscious and thought that if someone from town saw him, they would laugh at the young Indian, and he was tired of being scorned. Instead, he walked over and leaned on the rail looking at the town around him.

Usually, Rock Creek was like any other town. Buildings with false fronts lined the sidewalks and the usual parade of horses and wagons kept things busy. But today was different. Some colorful banners hung from the buildings and in the center of town three large tents were pitched. There was also an assortment of funny looking wagons with colorful pictures on the sides. Buck looked around him and grinned a bit. For the last few days, everyone was excited about the circus that was in town. Buck had only heard stories about what a circus was like. He knew they were supposed to be fun and make people laugh. Kid had told them that he had seen a circus as a child and he remembered costumed ladies doing flips and clowns tripping each other into barrels of water. Both Cody and Jimmy had smirked at the stories about the clowns but looked real interested in the story about the ladies. All the riders at the station were planning on going, except Lou. She had been disappointed about missing out, but they all promised her a full report. Buck thought the whole thing was kind of silly, and usually preferred to stay away from any of the town’s social events but thought that this circus might provide him a little distraction. If it did that, even for a day, he was willing to give it a try.
 

Chapter 2

Buck walked into town with his friends and was amazed at the strange assortment of people he saw. All the smaller circus wagons had lined up in a row to create a kind of stage. Behind the stage tall posters were hung advertising wonders and marvels that could only apparently be seen at this particular circus. Buck read the posters and his mouth dropped open a little wider with every one he looked at. The first was for a man who could swallow long swords. In one hand he had a sword that he was putting in his mouth and in the other he had a knife that looked like it was on fire. Surely, he wouldn’t be sticking that in his mouth too? The next was for a woman with a beard that reached her waist. In the picture she was wearing a frilly pink dress and was holding a small bouquet of flowers. The third poster showed a very muscular man completely covered in blue, green and red tattoos. No part of his body was spared and it was hard to get passed the red snake that twisted its way around his body starting at his bald head and seemingly ending somewhere in his pants.

“Quit staring like you’ve never been anywhere before!” Cody hissed as he elbowed Buck in the ribs. Cody liked to act as if he were a man of the world and it didn’t help to have a friend who stood rooted in one spot staring with wide-open eyes.

“Well, I haven’t been to a circus before and will you look at that…” Buck’s voice trailed off as he pointed to a lady dressed in green shimmering veils. The only part of her body that was exposed were her feet, hands and smoky brown eyes. She had stepped out onto the stage followed closely by a balding man who wore a plaid jacket, a red vest, and carried a long cane. Cody forgot all about his man of the world demeanor and joined his friend staring at the lovely woman in front of him. A quick glance told Buck that Kid and Jimmy were full of eyes too and equally mesmerized. The crowd surged forward to get a better look at the mysterious creature on the stage.

The man stepped forward and puffed out his rather large chest. “Ladies and gentlemen, come one, come all. Step forward and you will be transported to a world of dream and fantasy. Before you, you will see the rarest, the strangest, the most exotic creatures in the living world today. All have been brought to this land at great expense purely for your enjoyment. Now for your inspection, and as a preview of our magnificent show, Jasmine will perform the Dance of the Seven Veils! A love dance from her native land of Bali meant to woo her intended love to her side."

The man stepped back and Jasmine stepped forward. The sound of flutes wafted from behind the curtain and a drum began to tap out a soft rhythm. Jasmine spun slowly around the stage, her tiny feet carrying her across the stage. Then, one by one she dropped the veils daintily onto the stage. Buck, Cody, Jimmy and Kid couldn’t take their eyes off her. Somewhere off in the back of Kid’s mind, he wondered what Lou would think of this sultry performance. He quickly pushed those thoughts away though. She wasn’t here and it wasn’t his fault that he was spending time with his friends. The veils continued to drop one by one. It seemed as if there were more than seven veils but no one seemed to mind too much. However, just when it looked as if Jasmine was getting somewhere with the veils, she abruptly stopped and so did the music. The crowd groaned and the man once again stepped forward.

“Well boys, I promised you a preview of our show, didn’t I?” he softly chuckled. “If you want to see the rest, step forward and get your tickets. Hurry, hurry, hurry before they are gone. For just a dollar, you can see the oddest assortment of creatures on earth. Step forward now and no pushing!”

Men began to move forward and Buck laughed to see Cody furiously digging in his pocket for a dollar. “Alright fellas, whose going in with me?” Cody asked. He knew that he was going to travel the world one day and that this would be an educational experience. After all, he needed to be prepared for anyone he might meet, and he could imagine running into someone like Jasmine again.

“I don’t know” Kid began. He had an idea that Lou wouldn’t like it at all, and the thought of her finding out made him nervous. “Maybe I should just wait for you guys out here.”

“Jimmy?” Cody turned next to Jimmy who looked rather intently at the now empty stage and the crowd already filing into the tent. 

“Well, maybe just to be sure you won’t get into trouble.” Cody grinned knowingly at Jimmy.

“Buck?”

“Well, I don’t know. It seems kind of strange. Maybe I’ll just wait with Kid.” Buck had noticed that the Kid looked uncomfortable and thought that maybe he would stay with him. Cody raised his eyebrows at Buck and started to say something but changed his mind when he saw Jimmy buying a ticket. He hurried over instead, paid his money and received a red ticket. He turned once and waved it in the air at Buck and Kid before disappearing with Jimmy inside the tent.

“You didn’t have to stay with me Buck.” Kid said.

“It’s OK. I wanted to look around some more anyway.” Buck grinned at Kid. Buck knew that Kid was thinking about Lou and he sympathized with him. For all that Jimmy and Cody were good friends, they sometimes missed out on subtle signals that people could send to each other. Buck had experienced that kind of friendship only once in his life, and he thought he would never have it again now that Ike was dead. Buck knew Ike’s moods and Ike knew his. There was never any need for explanation or uncomfortable silences between them. As long as Ike was alive, he was never lonely even if he hadn’t seen Ike in a few days. Now, Buck completely understood the difference between being alone and being lonely. Even when he was around people, he was lonely. 

“Where to now?” Kid glanced around the street.

All of a sudden, a loud pounding noise caused Buck to startle and look around quickly. The noise was familiar to Buck and his eyes grew wide as he saw a man pounding on an Indian drum. Buck stepped closer to the small stage where the man was playing. On closer inspection, Buck saw that the drum was not well made and was really only a piece of rough leather stretched over an old wooden hoop. It had some strange design painted on the front that Buck knew did not belong to any Plains Indian tribe. The man continued to pound the drum in loud monotone beats. 

The sound he made was just noise to Buck who knew that drums could be played so beautifully. As a child, he had listened to the drums tell stories and sing songs. He suddenly felt a pang of regret over having to leave the Kiowa. If he had fit in there, if he had just been accepted, he would have been so happy. Now, he was caught in between two worlds, never really fitting in. At times, his spirit cried to him to find a place where it could be content, but he didn’t know how to appease the longing that had become a part of him. Buck had learned not too think too much about an ideal world where he would be loved for who he was because he knew it didn’t exist, especially now that Ike was gone.

“I wonder what this is all about?” Kid said to Buck somewhat loudly so he could be heard over the sound of the drum.

Just then, the same man who had introduced Jasmine stepped out from behind a curtain. “Now, if all you good people will allow me to introduce the most savage of men. He was caught by a group of trappers in the Far North while trying to steal animals from their traps. This land is so far north that the snow does not melt and the sun does not rise all winter. Yet, this man-beast survived by living with wolves. He speaks no language known to civilized man. He eats raw flesh and thirsts for blood. Ladies, you may want to step back if you feel faint. Let me introduce to you…The Wild Man from the Land of the Midnight Sun!!!”

A tall man stepped out from behind the curtain as a gasp went up from the crowd. This man was filthy and covered with long, shaggy hair. He wore a combination of fur and buffalo hides. They were not sewn together but more or less draped over his body. Some of the leather looked like it was stained dark red with blood and his hands had the same red stain on them. He did not wear shoes and carried a club in his right hand. He screamed at the top of his lungs and spoke words that could not be made out. When he started to jump around the stage lunging at the crowd, a group of men who evidently worked for the circus stepped forward and dragged him behind the curtain. For a moment Buck thought he was gone, but the curtain opened up and revealed a medium sized cage. The men forcefully pushed the creature into the cage and slammed the door.

Buck was amazed at the reaction from the crowd. They seemed to find the whole thing entertaining and began to clap at the heroics of the workers. Not Buck. He stood there watching the show with a look of disdain on his face. He usually tried to keep his emotions well hidden from others. Buck had found over the course of his life that if he allowed himself to be vulnerable then he was vulnerable and he ended up hurt. While as a boy with the Kiowa he had been treated as if he did not matter. Buck had only allowed himself to be open and loving with his older brother but even then Red Bear had sent him away. Buck knew it had been for his own safety, but a part of him also knew that Red Bear felt some relief when he was gone. Then, there was Kathleen. He trusted her and wanted to believe that she loved him. Ultimately though, he had found out the truth about her and her need to use their young romance as an emotional weapon against her father. Buck vowed to himself never to let his guard down again when it came to women. 

“Buck, what’s up?” Kid asked quietly. He could see something was bothering his friend.

“That man, in the cage” Buck said thrusting his chin in the direction of the show.

“What about him? It’s probably just a stunt.”

“Yeah, but he’s Kiowa.”

“What? Are you sure? How can you tell?” 

“He’s wearing a Kiowa medicine pouch and earring.”

“I didn’t see any pouch…” Kid began but then he knew Buck could catch quite a bit that an ordinary observer would miss. Kid wasn’t sure what to say to Buck so he stood quietly.

“I want to talk to him. Come on, let’s go see what we can find out.”

Buck and Kid made their way around the back of the wagons that were serving as a stage for this show. A few people eyed the pair but no one made a move to stop them. They stopped short when they saw the same four workers from the show making small talk with “the beast”. Just as Buck suspected, the wild man in the cage suddenly turned tame when the men opened the door. He stepped out and one of the men slapped him on the back saying, “Good work, Charlie. We’ll be packing ‘em in tonight. See you later.”

Charlie started walking toward a small makeshift shack wiping his face with a rag when Buck stopped him. “I want to talk to you,” Buck stated.

“About what?” Charlie said when he looked up right into Buck’s face. He slowly took in Buck’s features as well as his earring. It was of a unique design that Red Bear had created especially for him, but there was no mistaking the origin of the metal. Charlie’s eye then drifted down to Buck’s simple medicine pouch that always hung around his neck. “Well, well, well, another Indian brother.”

“What are you doing in this show?” Buck simply asked.

“Trying to earn an honest dollar, brother”. Charlie’s reply was also simple and direct.

“I’m not your brother and you are shaming our people. By acting like a crazed fool running around a stage like some kind of animal. You are making those people believe everything they only hear about and worse. You should be with our people trying to help them survive and if you can’t do that then you should be doing something to bring honor to them, not humiliation.”

“I should, eh? What about you, little man? I see you dressed in white man’s cloths and spending time with them,” Charlie sneered as his eyes swept over Kid. “Don’t come ‘round here acting like you’re better than me because you’re not. I’m doing what I can to earn a living and I bet I make a better one than you.” Charlie’s eyes and stance challenged Buck to prove him wrong.

“I ride with the Pony Express. It is completely different. I am judged based on my skill and ability. You’re looked at like some kind of monster. It isn’t right what you’re doing.”

“Maybe not, but I make my own decisions. I left my tribe because they could not see the change that is coming. The white man has already killed most of the buffalo and taken our land. They are pushing us onto reservations and killing us with their diseases. Soon our people will not have food or shelter. I have chosen to survive. The others can have their pride and die trying to save what is already lost.”

Buck didn’t know what to think of this man in front of him. He knew he was making a mockery of the Kiowa and everything they held sacred. At the same time though, Buck understood what he was saying. Buck had lived among the whites for six years, first at the mission school and then in Sweetwater and now in Rock Creek. He knew what many of the Indians did not; that peace with the white man could only come with a terribly high price. Buck knew that more and more settlers were heading west and the government was supporting this western expansion. The Indian way of life was doomed. 

Buck’s thoughts confused him. On one hand, he hated what Charlie was doing to himself and his people, but on the other, he admired Charlie for taking his stand and not wavering from it even when confronted by a member of his people. Buck had often wished that he could stand up to the members of his own tribe but he had been afraid that they would despise him even more than they already did. In the long run though, holding his tongue did no good. He was still forced to leave and instead of leaving with his pride intact had felt like an unwanted dog slinking away in the night.

Buck and Charlie looked at each other, their eyes meeting and holding their gaze. Buck gave Charlie an almost unperceivable nod before he turned and started to walk away.

“Wait” Charlie said laying a hand on Buck’s shoulder. “What is your name?”

“Running Buck.”

“Mine’s Grey Morning. Who is your father?” Charlie asked. The Kiowa kept track of relations through their father and Charlie wanted to know if in some distant way they were related. 

Buck ignored the question. “My brother is the Kiowa War Chief Red Bear.”

“I have heard of him. He is a good man.” Charlie paused. “Good luck, Running Buck.” With that, the older man moved away and left Buck standing there with Kid.

“You don’t have to say anything Kid. Let’s go see if Cody and Jimmy are still in one piece.”
 

Chapter 3

Buck and Kid slowly made their way through the crowd. Buck’s meeting with Charlie had left him feeling apprehensive and lost. What would his people be forced to do to survive? Buck knew his brother would never surrender his dignity and would fight until there were no warriors to stand beside him. Then what would the women and children do? They would be forced to become subservient to the white man. Buck held no answers and the thought of his people being torn from the land that was once theirs made his heart ache.

“Kid, Buck!” Both boys looked up to see Jimmy and Cody coming toward them. Cody was munching on an apple that was covered in a soft brown mixture and was stuck on a stick. 

“What’s that?” Buck asked. 

“It’s a caramel apple and is sheer heaven. Here have a bite.” Cody passed the apple to Buck and he took a tentative bite. Buck was surprised to find that it actually was quite tasty. Cody sometimes wondered about Buck. He knew Buck had been on buffalo hunts and Indian raids. He knew that he spoke three languages if you counted Indian sign language and that his brother was the Kiowa war chief. Cody also knew that there had to be some good stories there, but Buck at times acted as if he had been sheltered his whole life. Imagine…never eating a caramel apple!

“Cody’s been eating his way down the street.” Jimmy grinned. “He had to since Jasmine broke his heart.”

“Is it my fault that she had so many admirers that the poor thing was overwhelmed?” Cody said between bites on his apple. He finished it off in two more huge bites and then licked the stick until the last of the caramel was gone. The others stood and watched him twist and twirl the stick before he finally tossed it in a bin that was set up for trash.

“Well boys, what should we do now?” Cody asked. He was always looking for more excitement and with a day off he was more than willing to go hunt for it.

Before anyone could say anything, the crowd started moving toward a purple tent that was set up at the far end of the street. “Excuse me ma’am, can you please tell us what’s goin’ on?” Jimmy asked a woman walking by.

“There’s some man down there who says he can communicate with the dead. He’s doing readings for folks that want to speak to loved ones who have passed on.” She hurried away to get a good seat.

“Come on…this sure ought to be good” Cody started to move down the street. Kid and Jimmy started to follow him, but stopped when Buck hesitated.

“I don’t know if I should go see that.” Buck started to explain. 

“Buck, you missed Jasmine and now this? How often do we get to have some fun? Come on before they start.” Cody tugged at Buck’s arm. Buck pulled back a little bit. He knew enough about spirits to know that you treated them with respect. You prayed to them and did not do a thing to insult or anger them. Also, if you did manage to cause a rift between the living and the dead, you acted in all haste to repair it. His mother and then Red Bear had taught Buck these principles as a child. If you adhered to the rules then all would be well. Buck knew that he did not have all the answers to questions regarding the dead but he knew enough not to go actually try and talk to them.

On the other hand, this was just a show. His encounter with Charlie had proven that. It wasn’t real and it was just for fun. Cody was right and Buck didn’t want to see his friends miss out because of him so he let Cody pull him down the street. 

The four young men paid fifty cents each to get into the tent and they managed to find seats close together in about the third row. Buck looked around him and saw that everyone in Rock Creek was there. He smiled and waved at the door when he saw Rachel and Teaspoon walk in. They found seats on the other side of the tent and returned Buck’s wave. Buck looked at the stage next and all he saw was a simple table and two chairs. The table was covered though in some sort of purple cloth that matched the color of the tent. Buck wondered why the spirits would want to make an appearance here but his thoughts were cut off when a strange looking man entered the door.

Buck’s first thought was that he was tiny. He couldn’t have been over five tall and he had a pale look about his thin face. His hair seemed black against his skin. Buck looked at his hands and they were thin and spindly. His fingernails were long and pointed. He was wearing a black velvet cape that reached the floor and swirled around him when he walked. He made his way over to the table and with a flourish of the cape he sat down. Buck felt a bit relieved. This had to be a show. No one this odd looking could talk to the dead.

The door opened again and a woman walked out. She was also dressed in a cape but hers had some sparkly stones sewn about the hem. She addressed the waiting audience in a throaty whisper, “Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the greatest of all mind readers and mediums. Sir Humphreys can read your mind in the instant a thought forms in your brain. He can communicate with the dearly departed as if they were in the room. The dead speak through him and can bring immense comfort and joy to those who remain on the earth.” She paused before continuing in an even lower voice, “However, the deceased can also bring messages of doom and anguish to those who have done them wrong….” She let her words sink into the audience before she began again, “Now, Sir Humphreys will begin by reading the mind of someone in this audience.” She began to walk through the crowd pausing behind Cody. She placed her hand lightly on his shoulder and said, “Here is one who is ready.”

“Ready for the nut house” Jimmy whispered to Buck who had to keep from laughing out loud. This was going to be funny. Buck already felt better since his encounter with Charlie. He knew that he had been moody since Ike died and he was glad he had good friends who supported him when he needed it. They were also forgiving of his moods, knowing that he was going through another rough time in his life. Buck at times felt a strange bond with Jimmy and he glanced over at him before looking back to the stage. Jimmy was famous for his temper but it came and went like the wind. Buck, on the other hand, often brooded for long periods of time, before coming out of his dark times. Both were controlled by feelings and emotions that strung them along. Anyway, they were both in a good mood now and Buck had learned to appreciate the happy moments in his life because there were not that many now.

Cody gave his friends dirty looks as he sauntered up to the stage. Sir Humphreys motioned for him to sit in the unoccupied chair.

“And now, young man can you tell us your name?” the man commanded.

“Shouldn’t he know his name if he can read minds?” Kid whispered to Buck and Jimmy. Everyone had to fight to keep from laughing.

“William F. Cody.”

“Ah, now Mr. Cody, why don’t we start with some simple mind reading?” Sir Humphreys spoke in a low growling voice.

“Or how about the reading of simple minds?” Jimmy threw back at Kid. Now Buck couldn’t help himself and he began to laugh along with Kid. They all stopped abruptly when they noticed Teaspoon throwing them a stern glance from across the tent.

“Alright, now Mr. Cody, I would like you to write on this piece of paper a name or number or date that is significant to you.” He handed Cody the paper and a pencil. Cody hesitated at first but then wrote down $62.25. This was the amount of money he had lost three days ago to Buck while they were playing poker. Everyone else had been out on runs and the two were bored. Cody had insisted that he had come up with a sure fire system for winning at cards and wanted to try it out on Buck. 

Unfortunately for Cody, the system failed him miserably. This was a horrifyingly large amount of money for Cody, but he had kept insisting that he would make a huge comeback that never materialized. As it was, Cody was going to have to do extra chores for Rachel to get the money and he had tried in vain to get Buck to agree to make it double or nothing. Buck had not gone for it, so now Cody was out the money and his time. Anyway, Cody thought this was a good number to write since only he and Buck knew the amount. Cody didn’t want the others to know, especially Rachel and Teaspoon, and had sworn Buck to secrecy about the money. 

“Now, I want you to show the paper to a friend to verify the amount.”

Cody got up and went over to Buck. He cupped his hand around the paper and let Buck look at it. Buck nodded his head and Cody went back to his seat. Buck immediately recognized the number and thought it was funny that Cody was still thinking about it. Buck was going to let Cody off the hook in a couple of days but it was kind of amusing to see him squirm.

Sir Humphreys next placed the paper face down in an envelope and handed it back to Cody. The medium then took out a long match and told Cody to burn the envelope with the paper in it. Cody lit the match and all eyes were on him as he set the envelope on fire. Once the envelope was reduced to ashes, Cody blew on his hands a bit and watched Sir Humphreys who looked like he was in some kind of trance. 

Sir Humphreys slowly spoke, “I can see a number…no, I can see four numbers. A six, a two, another two and a five. Hmmm, it is not a date. It is an amount of money. It is Sixty-two dollars and twenty five cents!”

The crowd looked to Cody for confirmation. Cody was breathless but he managed to croak out, “That’s it.”

“Can you confirm the amount?” Sir Humphreys asked Buck.

“That’s right,” Buck said loudly enough for the audience to hear. The crowd erupted in a loud round of applause. Buck was astounded. No one knew that number but him and Cody! He would never have thought that was possible. Buck could tell that Jimmy and Kid were also impressed. Cody stepped down from the stage, and another guest was selected from the audience.

This time an elderly woman was escorted to the stage by Sir Humphreys assistant. She seated herself in the same chair that Cody had just occupied. Sir Humphreys explained that he was now going to try and communicate with a deceased friend or relative. Buck while impressed with the mind reading feat was sure that this was going to be a trick. After all, this was a circus and everything he had seen so far was just for fun. 

Sir Humphreys began by holding the woman’s hand and speaking in soft, soothing tones. For a while it looked like nothing was going to happen but then all of a sudden he convulsed and threw his head back. When he finally sat forward, he began speaking in a different voice than the one he had been using. It was a rough, gravelly voice that emanated from his mouth, “I am safe. I am with Father and Uncle Peter. Look in the well. Look in the well. Look in the well.”

The woman looked confused and was going to speak when she was interrupted by Sir Humphreys, “I put the money in the well. You will find it there.” That was all as his voice trailed off. 

Everyone in the audience looked expectedly at the woman. All of a sudden it looked as if she were going to faint, but she managed to pull herself together and shriek, “My God, it was my son Andrew. He died last winter and he had an Uncle Peter and his father is dead! How could you know? On his deathbed he said he had hid some money and he died before he could say where it was. I’ve looked everywhere and I can’t find it. How could you know all this? It must be true!”

The audience paused to catch their breath and there was another huge round of applause for the tiny man who could seemingly perform miracles. 

Sir Humphrey’s assistant stepped to the front of the stage again and proclaimed, “Sir Humphrey’s will continue to do readings for anyone that wants one. However, there will now be a minor fee of three dollars per reading. Everyone is welcomed to stay and witness this amazing gift.”

Buck was dumbfounded. He had seen this little man in front of him read minds and talk to the dead. 
 

Chapter 4

Buck swung himself up onto his horses’ back and with a slight kick, the horse began to gallop across the plains. The sun was beginning to set and the sky was full of brilliant red and gold colors. Buck ran his horse through the tall rustling grass and enjoyed the wind on his face. He let the horse carry him away from Rock Creek and the sounds and smell of the town. He kept his eyes focused on the horizon in front of him and he wondered how long it would take him to get there if he just kept going. He looked at the clouds that were taking on a silver color and wished he could ride through those. He wished he could go on forever this way and not have to deal with the everyday realities of work and interacting with people who wished he would just go away. As always, like a wheel following the same rutted path, Buck’s thoughts returned to his youth and Red Bear.

As a child, Buck had welcomed the evening. It meant that he had gotten through another day and that everyone would be retiring to his or her teepees for the night. He could lay still in the darkness and dream in peace without someone taunting him or telling him he was worthless. At night he became the same as everyone else. Sometimes in his dreams, Buck performed an act of such daring and bravery that the Kiowa fully accepted him. He imagined certain people who had shunned him coming to him and apologizing for treating him so badly. He would be kind and gracious and assure them that it did not matter now. He thought those fantasies kind of silly now, but he still longed for a place where he could rest and feel comfortable. 

It wasn’t fair to compare Red Bear to Ike but Buck often thought how different the two men were. Red Bear had wanted to make conditions better for Buck but could never change the minds of those in the tribe. Red Bear tried to teach Buck how to behave so that he would be accepted. Red Bear’s philosophy was that if Buck followed the rules then the tribe would treat him well. Buck had listened to Red Bear’s constant lectures and tried to adhere to them with no result. Red Bear always found fault with Buck for minor transgressions and he was sure that his little brother’s poor behavior was the partial cause of the problem. Buck knew that Red Bear loved him and that you sometimes hold those you love to a higher standard. 

Ike, on the other hand, simply accepted Buck for who he was. Ike never said to Buck that he should give up or change his Kiowa ways to fit in better with the white world. When Buck wanted to pray outside, Ike respected that and did not suggest that attending Mass would be more proper. When Buck refused to eat certain food, Ike did not try to get him to eat because it would make others feel more comfortable. Ike did not say anything to Buck about his choice of clothes or shrink away from Buck because he was embarrassed to be seen with him. 

Buck missed Ike so much and wanted to see him one more time. He was only a little comforted by the idea that someday when he died the two would meet again and that Ike would be waiting for him. Buck used to fear death and wonder what it would be like but since Ike had died, the idea of death comforted him a little. It wouldn’t be so bad. Maybe in the Spirit World everyone was on equal terms and no one laughed because the color of your skin was too dark for some or your hair was too light for others. He only wished he had absolute proof. 

And then the idea that had been slowly growing and developing burst full forth into his mind. He could find out. He could go back to Rock Creek and ask Sir Humphreys to do a reading for him. Buck could go to town real early and find the medium before he left town. He could finally ask Ike every question that had bothered him. He could talk to Ike again even if it was just for a few minutes. Maybe then he could find out whether a difficult life had its eventual reward. None of the other riders would have to know. It would just be him and Ike again.

Buck was going to do it tomorrow. Tomorrow he was going to talk to Ike.
 

Chapter 5

Buck rode back to the stationhouse and dismounted by the barn. He put his horse into his stall and began to give him a rub down. Buck knew he had pushed the horse hard and wanted to make sure he was well taken care of. He was excited and nervous about his idea to go back to the circus. He could imagine hearing Ike’s voice again and being comforted by the fact that Ike was there alongside him. He thought back to when he and Ike were both boys in the mission school. Sometimes at night after everyone had gone to sleep, he and Ike would climb out on the roof and watch the stars at night. Buck would tell Ike stories about how the stars came to be and other legends that were important to his people. Ike in turn would tell Buck about stories the white people had created. Ike had often kept his stories light knowing that Buck had enough religious education from the nuns at the school. So Ike would tell Buck stories about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and why if you didn’t wear green on St. Patrick’s Day you were highly susceptible to being pinched. Buck had thought Ike was a good storyteller and the two would pass the time on the roof until they were both too sleepy to continue. Buck was lost in thought when Teaspoon walked in.

“You have a good time today, Buck?” Teaspoon asked while patting the horse that was now munching on some oats.

“Yeah, it was interesting to say the least” Buck didn’t want to tell Teaspoon about what he was planning to do. He thought the older man wouldn’t understand and would try and talk him out of it. “What’s going on inside?”

“Oh, Cody’s reading that fool book again. I thought I would get some air before turnin’ in for the night.” Teaspoon paused before he continued. One thing Buck knew about Teaspoon was that Teaspoon liked to talk and he was obviously in the mood for it. “That strange little guy at the circus today was something though wasn’t he?” Buck nodded his head and Teaspoon kept going. “I saw a show like that once in St. Louis. The fella’ there had the place all riled up. I was almost believin’ it too.” Teaspoon chuckled at the memory. “But after the show one night, I ran into the guy and we started to have a few drinks. Well son, he ended up getting so drunk he told me all his secrets. Like that mind reading thing with Cody. How the envelopes are switched and how the victim ends up burning an empty one while he reads what was written.”

Buck was amazed. He had watched the whole transaction so closely and had never seen any switch. He realized his mouth was hanging open a little bit and quickly closed it. He stared at the older man and Teaspoon was pleased since he always liked to get a good reaction from one of his stories. Finally, Buck could not resist asking, “What about talking to the dead?”

“Oh that,” Teaspoon said with a wave of his hand. “The first reading is always a plant in the audience to get people hooked on the idea that he can talk to the dead. If you went down the road to the next town you would probably see the same lady. Then when he has people half-believing in him, he starts charging for his services. By then, most folks are so desperate to make contact with the other side that they believe anything. It is just the power of suggestion.” With that final bit of information, Teaspoon yawned and said good night to Buck. 

“Good night, Teaspoon.” 

Buck let Teaspoon’s words sink in. He should have known the whole thing was a hoax. He had just been so desperate to talk to Ike again he would have believed anything. He felt a little bit sad now that he knew he would not be making any trip to town to try and find the medium. He stood there in the barn for a few minutes kicking the ground with the toe of his boot. After a while, Buck’s sadness began to change to a feeling of relief.

Buck was glad that he had not told anyone what he was thinking about. It was so stupid now. The idea of using a medium to bring Ike back from the dead was ridiculous. If Ike was resting, Buck shouldn’t disturb that and if Ike wanted to come back, he would. It was more than that though. Ike did come back to Buck everyday that he was remembered. The two had been best friends and still were. To use a medium from a circus to try and comfort him was just making a mockery of Ike’s spirit, just like that book of Cody’s was making horrible circumstances out to be adventure. Buck understood now, or at least he thought he did, that something as beautiful as their friendship should not be cheapened or made a show of. He would continue talk to Ike on his own like he did everyday. 

But for the first time, Buck took his thoughts a step further. While it was good to remember Ike, he had to continue to live his own life. He had friends who were like family to him and to turn his back on that was making Ike’s death a waste. Ike had spent a good part of his life trying to make Buck feel accepted and now he was, at least in the eyes of the other riders. He knew it would be difficult and rough days were sure to come but hopefully the good days would begin to outnumber those. Maybe he could try and smile a little bit more or try to talk without feeling so self-conscious. Ike would like that. 
 He walked back to the bunkhouse and opened the door just as Cody was reading, “…discovered the grisly secret that lay buried beneath the house that fateful night.” Buck smiled and Cody waited for him to sit down before he continued. Soon Buck was caught up in the story and despite the grim subject matter, he felt more rested and at peace than he had in months. 
 

Chapter 6

Buck woke up and instead of the familiar gnawing feeling in his stomach, he felt surprisingly rested. He looked around the room and it was the same as the day before. Cody had fallen asleep reading again and Jimmy was snoring. Kid even looked happy in his sleep because Lou was coming back that day. He thought he would go outside for a little bit before starting his chores. Today was his day to get the firewood for breakfast and Rachel needed extra for the laundry. He carefully made his way across the room and out the front door.

Buck pushed his hair out of his eyes with his hand and took his customary look around town. Today was the same as every other day with one major exception. The circus folk were packing up and getting ready to leave town. They had evidently been up even earlier than Buck because the wagons were already lined up and only a few people milled about before climbing into their wagons. Buck watched lazily as the wagons started to leave Rock Creek. He watched until he could no longer see them and then turned his attention to the morning.

It was a cool morning and everything was still damp with dew from the previous night. The sky was a thin blue except for a bit of gray off in the distance. Buck thought it might rain later today and Rachel might put off doing the wash. It would be good for the garden though and Buck thought it might be fun to do a little fishing this afternoon. Maybe he could get Cody or Jimmy to go with him. Kid would be too preoccupied with Lou coming back. Tomorrow they would all have to get back to doing their regular deliveries but they still had one more day off and Buck wanted to enjoy it. Maybe tomorrow he would feel lonely again. Maybe tomorrow he would feel the eyes of the town on his back when he walked down the street. Today he didn’t care and he was glad for that.

Buck stood on the porch, opened his arms wide and threw back his head to greet the morning.

THE END

Comments?  Email Sharon


 
 

 
.

.