.
.
 
 
Echoes of the Soul
by Kimberly Wright

Conclusion

CHAPTER 9

When her house came into view, Amber breathed in a sigh of relief and she asked the boys to stay the night before heading back to Rock Creek. Patrick and Jenny were relaxing on the couch as she and  the boys walked inside and when the couple looked up she introduced them to the others.

"It's good to meet you again," Jenny said as she rose to give Jimmy and Cody a hug. "How is everyone?"

“They’re fine…” Amber began to answer.

“Except Buck,” Jimmy interrupted. "He asked her to stay in Rock Creek." 

“Why?” Patrick questioned.

“Cause he told us to keep an eye on her till he got back from his run.”

“And you have,” Amber replied. “Besides, he knows my home is here and that I couldn’t very well leave Patrick and Jenny to look after my house for too long. I’m sure they’ll be wantin’ a place of their own soon.”

Jimmy shook his head saying; “Well I still say Buck’s goin’ to be a little upset about you leavin’.”

“He’ll get over it.” Then she turned to Jenny. “Anythin’ happen while I’ve been gone?”

“Not much. Patrick’s workin’ as manager at dad's store since he went to Rock Creek.” She paused to look at her husband and when he smiled, she continued. “We did have some visitors though, a couple days after you left.”

Amber’s eyebrow arched…just the way Buck’s did.

“Several Kiowa braves came by. The leader was named Sun Hawk and he said to tell you to watch for his return after two more moons have passed. Also, that you were goin' to be an aunt.”

“An aunt?” she smiled. “Then he truly is happy now. Did you ask him what he meant by watchin’ for him?”

“Didn’t get a chance. He left as soon as he mentioned the baby.”

Later that evening as everyone was preparing for bed, Amber stood by the window in her room thinking about her family. She smiled. Her brother was to be a father and she knew their parents would be pleased. Then she said a small prayer for everyone and snuggled under the covers while thinking about Buck, hoping he wouldn’t be too upset with her for not waiting for him to finish his run.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Working in her garden again during another warm summer day, Amber looked up and smiled. Jenny and Patrick had just bought the Johnson’s place, but hadn’t moved in yet because the flooring needed to be replaced. She had offered to help, but Patrick was a proud man and he wanted to do it up just  right for his Jenny. Then she shook her head thinking about how some men could be so gentlemanly stubborn. One in particular came crashing into her mind when she recalled the kiss she received before he went on that run and she'd returned home. She sighed as she gathered some vegetables for supper that evening then began to hum while walking back to the house.

“You’re not too hot, are you?” she asked Jenny when she came up the steps.

“No. Just board. Patrick won’t let me do anythin’ at the house,” she complained. “God, but he can be stubborn at times.”

“I know what you mean. I’ve seen my parents quarrel over things like that…you want to help with the vegetables?”

“Oh yes, anythin’ to keep busy.”

Amber laughed as they walked inside and went to the kitchen. She set the vegetables in separate bowls then she and Jenny began to peel, dice and chop them for the stew. While they did this, they discussed how the search for Two Ponies was going. Then they heard the unmistakable sound of a buckboard and knew that Patrick was finally finished with work. He was later than usual today and they looked at each other in question. When Jenny just shrugged her shoulders, Amber did the same as she got up to put the vegetables in the stewpot. When she turned around, Patrick was standing behind his wife, his eyes twinkling…as if he had a secret. Then she noticed a silent, brooding Buck standing a few paces behind Patrick and she felt the earth begin to shake as the butterflies did their loops and whirls in her stomach.

“Jenny dear,” Patrick began as he took a hold of her hand, “let’s go for a walk.” 

Jenny looked over to where Amber still stood. Her friend’s eyes had gone wide in surprise at seeing Buck and she asked her if she was ok.

Amber couldn’t speak even if her life depended on it. She just stood there as she gazed into the most beautiful brown eyes anyone could ever have. She could feel the steady beat of a tom-tom drum playing softly in her heart and an echo calling out to her very soul.

“Amber?”

“Come on Jenny, let’s leave them alone for now.”

Then Patrick and Jenny exited the house.

With the sound of the closing of the door, Amber was startled out of her thoughts and tried to flee from Buck’s intense, heat filled eyes. She didn’t get more than two steps away before he had her pinned to the wall, his lips locking with hers. She began to struggle, but when he deepened the kiss and closed the remaining space that was between them, all her thoughts went flying out the window and she hung onto him for dear life. When he finally let her breath, he placed a tender kiss on her forehead then placed his forehead there and whispered, “Why didn’t you wait?”

“I-I could-n’t”, she barely replied when she was able to speak.

“Why?”

“I had t-to come home.”

“I would’ve brought you back.”

“No…Little Bird was…is…”

He sighed, “I know. She is to cross my path again and it will be soon.”

Amber looked up and asked, “How soon?”

“Got a letter from her a few days ago. She and her fiancé should be arrivin’ sometime next week, but I needed to see you…to find out why you didn’t wait.”

“Oh,” she replied as she tried to push away from him. Then she starts to tremble.

He cupped her chin and places another soul searing kiss upon her lips then asks for her to return to Rock Creek with him. When she shook her head, he told her that he had been quite upset that she’d left when he’d asked her to stay…that he missed her, that she was the rain to his desert.

“Oh Buck, I missed you too, but you have to face Little Bird on your own. Besides, my home is here and Sun Hawk is to arrive soon to take me back to the village.”

“How long?”

“I don’t know,” she replied then stepped away from his warmth as the door opened. She turned back to the stew that had been cooking all this time and gave it a stir with shaky hands. After everyone had eaten, she and Jenny cleaned away the remnants of the meal then she excused herself and walked out into the crisp autumn air.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

She heard his soft footsteps as he walked up from behind and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. Her breath froze. Her heart increased in tempo and she was sure he could hear it. Then he leaned to whisper in her ear and she felt the electricity shoot down her neck…clear down to her toes.

“You are bein’ stubborn Snow Fox. I know Dancing Cloud said somethin’ to you before we came back that one time.”

“That’s between him and me Buck and you know that too.”

He smiled. He had gotten her to admit that the village Shaman had had a special talk with her when they were there for her birthday, but before he could come back with an answer, they were both startled at the sound of someone approaching the other side of the corral.

Buck placed Amber behind him while he drew his gun as the person came closer, then demanded who was there.

"Running Buck?"

"Sun Hawk?"

"Yes my friend, it is me."

Buck placed his gun back in its holster and went to greet his friend. After they talked for a few minutes, Sun Hawk asked his sister if she was ready to return to the village.

"Yes," she replied as she walked toward the extra horse that her brother had brought with him, but before she could mount up, Buck gently pulled her close to him and held her tightly. When he kissed her this time, she just about burst into tears. This kiss was soft, tender…deeply emotional. She knew he missed her already, just as she missed him. Then he released her.

"Ride safe my little Snow Fox," he choked out in a whisper as he caressed her cheek with the back of his hand. "Return safe."

"T-tell Jenny and Pat-rick to…to…"

Then, before the tears burst from her eyes, she turned away quickly and swung up onto the back of the horse. Sun Hawk also swung up onto his horse and then brother and sister rode off into the night, back to the village in which they were born.
 

CHAPTER 10

Late September 1861

"Snow Fox, remember what Dancing Cloud has told you…Running Buck still needs you."

"I know that. He told me the same thing the last time I was there," she replied as the doubts crept back into her mind.

How was she supposed to believe that Buck truly needed her when she still didn't believe that Little Bird was going to marry someone else? Then she sighed as they approach the last hill and looked 
down upon her home.

"Home," she thought. "My home…a home with no family…no children running in the yard."  Then she sighed again.

"Do not worry little she-cat," her brother said when he heard the sigh. "Dancing Cloud has never been wrong."

"Yeah," she mumbled," but there's always a first time." Then she glances at her brother and smiled. "Prairie Blossom is a lucky woman to have my brother for her husband."

"And you will be just as lucky," he replied as he leaned over to give her a hug. "Now go on. You have friends waitin' and a man who will soon be your husband."

With that said, they say good-by then she took off down the hill astride her new horse Smoky, smiling as she remembered her birthday at the village and the fun she had seeing old friends and family.

Meanwhile inside the house, Patrick was lying on the floor with his month old son Brandon and Jenny was in the kitchen preparing the afternoon meal. Jenny had just finished taking the biscuits out of the oven and was now at the sink washing potatoes. She glanced up at the sound of an approaching rider and dropped the potato she held, then with a smile on her face, she quickly dried her hands on the apron tied about her waist and called out to her husband as she hurried out the door.

"Jen-ny…wait," he hollered after her. Then with a sigh, he picked up Brandon and headed out the door himself. As he stepped onto the porch, he sees why his wife had rushed outside. Amber was home. "Well my son, let's go introduce you to your Aunt."

When Amber and Jenny finally stopped hugging, she notices Patrick walking towards them with a baby in his arms. Then she holds her own arms out as they near, asking if she could hold the child.

"Of course," Patrick answered with a smile, "but be forewarned…he screams like a banshee when he wants somethin'."

"Oh he does, does he?" She laughed as she gathered the little boy into her arms, "And you never did?"

"Now how am I supposed to know that?"

"All right you two", Jenny spoke, "you can tease each other later. Let's go back in and eat lunch."

Amber looked at her friend. She was radiant…glowing like a woman should when she's just had a baby. Then as she handed Brandon back to his mother she said, "He's so perfect. I'm sorry I wasn't here for you."

"That's all right. Your family is a bit more important," she replied as they walked back to the house. "By the way…how are they doin'?"

"They're doin' just fine. Prairie Blossom is…well she's blossomin' and my brother is prouder than a peacock."

They were laughing as they stepped inside the house then after Jenny placed her son back on the blanket with his toys, she turned with a smile and said, "I'm glad things are workin' out for your family."

Amber felt as if something was upsetting her friend and asked if there was anything wrong. Jenny didn't answer. She glanced over to her husband then sat down on the couch as tears came to her eyes. So Amber asked Patrick what was wrong.

"We haven't had any luck in locatin' her brother."

"Don't worry about that, I've asked my family if they would help and they have agreed to do so."

"What about Black Wolf?"

"They'll keep an eye out for him. My brother says that if he is spotted, they will take extra care in getttin' a message to the chief."

While Amber and Patrick were talking, Jenny just sat there not believing that her friend would risk the chance of encountering Black Wolf. She recalled the day when she and Buck had found April and her husband lying dead in their buckboard with Black Wolf's arrows piercing their bodies. It was also the same day she'd lost her mother to his anger over her choosing not to stay with him.

"Jenny?"

She looked up at Amber with tear filled eyes and whispered, "You didn't have to do that…you know how Black Wolf is."

"Yes I know, but what are friends for if not to help them when they need it?"

"Thank you."

"Yes, thank you Amber," Patrick replied as he sat next to his wife. "We don't have too many friends like you."

She understood what he was saying. There weren't too many people who looked kindly upon those who have been living among the Indians. It would be a long time coming before the Whites would accept the Indians for who they were and the fact that they had been living on this land for many generations before the White man decided to come here. She gave Jenny a hug and told her to just rest and that she would finish up the meal so they could eat. Then she went into the kitchen. 

When lunch was on the table, Amber, Jenny and Patrick sat down. Patrick gave the blessing and thanked the Lord for all that he had given him, especially his wife, their son and the good friend who had opened her home to them. Amber's throat constricted with un-shed tears, but she didn't let on 
that she was immensely glad that she'd met these fine people.

"Well," she managed to say when Patrick had concluded the prayer, "let's eat." Then she glanced at Jenny and said, "You know you'll have to keep an eye on that son of yours as he gets older. He is such an adorable little boy."

Jenny smiled before she replied; "I try not to worry about that right now, it's bad enough he gets the ooh's and ah's at this age."

"You mean to tell me the women are already goin' crazy over him?"

"Yeah, but not to worry, most of them are way too old for him."

"What about the girls his age?"

Patrick's eyes widened with "shock" as he teased, "Good God Jen…it sounds like we've created another Casanova."

When Jenny and her family said good-by for the day and were on their way back to their own place, Amber walked over to where she'd left Smoky and led her to the barn.

"Come on girl, let's get you into a stall."

While she gave Smoky her rubdown, she talked to her in smooth tones, letting her know what a fine filly she was. Then she heard a little snicker coming from the next stall and peeked over Smoky's back to look at Butterscotch. She had purchased Butterscotch to keep Thunder's Pride company and now the mare and the stallion were soon to be parents. When she was finished with Smoky's rubdown, she walked to where Butterscotch was and checked to see how she was doing.

"Well mama, it won't be too much longer. You will make a fine mother and Thunder's Pride…well, he'll be a proud papa."

She gave the horses some oats and hay then decided she would head back to the house to soak in the tub for a while and maybe read a little before going to sleep. While the water was heating up, she chose a book from the case and sat on the couch. A few minutes later, she looked up from the page and noticed that she hadn't read a thing. Then she got up to fill the tub and when that was done, she added a little rose water to it. As she soaked she thought about what Dancing Cloud told her the time Buck took her to the village for her birthday and this most recent time with her family.

"…Remember, Running Buck still needs you."

"But what of Little Bird?"

"Little Bird was not meant to be his. She was sent to our people for awhile and…"

"And then she was taken away. I already know this Uncle, but why…he still loves her."

"Why no longer matters and yes he still loves her, but his love for you is deeper." She shook her head in denial, but Dancing Cloud continued. "Do you not feel as if Mother Earth shakes when he is near you?"

"Yes," she barely whispered.

"Do you not feel an emptiness deep with in your soul when he is not?"

 "Yes," she replied again as the tears welled up in her eyes.

"Then what will be shall be. You and Running Buck are the echo's of each others souls."

Amber snapped back to reality when her water became cold and she quickly got out of the freezing water and dried off. Then she wrapped the robe tightly around her shivering body and walked to her room…she would deal with the tub in the morning. As she fell into bed, the tears truly began to fall from her eyes as she thought, "How, Dancing Cloud…how am I supposed to believe?"

Meanwhile in Rock Creek, Buck was lying on his bed, staring at the ceiling recalling what Dancing Cloud had told him just before he and Amber had left the village after her birthday.

"…Remember Running Buck, Snow Fox needs you more than ever, although she will not admit this."

"But you have told me that Little Bird will cross my path again."

"That is true my son, but Snow Fox is the one to be your bride."

"I don't understand. Little Bird and I were to be married and if she is to return into my life, why are we still not to be married?"

"She was not meant to be yours, then or now." Buck shook his head, but Dancing Cloud continued. "Do you not feel as if Mother Earth shakes when Snow Fox is near?"

"Yes," he answered in a hushed tone.

"Do you not feel an emptiness deep with in your soul when she is not?"

"Yes."

"Then what will be shall be. You and Snow Fox are the echo's of each other's souls."

Buck sat up with a sigh. Then he glanced around the bunkhouse before quietly making his way outside. He stood under the starlit night thinking of his conversation with the Shaman and the more he thought about it, the more it began to make sense. He did feel as if the earth shook every time he gazed upon the beauty that radiated from Amber and the last time they had been together was at her house. He had to smile a little. She had not waited for him to take her back home after she had come to Rock Creek when Rachel had written to her about Ike's passing and he had been a little upset with her, but he had not stayed that way for long. He hadn't wanted to write a letter to find out why she had left but it had taken him a couple of months before he could go to her.

"Buck?"

He looked up and saw Jimmy coming outside.

"Sorry if I woke you."

"You didn't," he replied as he sat next to his friend. "You thinkin' about Amber again?"

"Yeah."

"Well why don't you ask Teaspoon for some time off so you could go see her?"

Buck smiled at the thought of seeing his little Snow Fox again and said he'd talk to Teaspoon in the morning.

"Good," Jimmy teased, "then maybe we could get a decent nights sleep without you mumblin' about her."
 

CHAPTER 11

Rock Creek, Nebraska

With the sun just starting to set beyond the hills, the sky pale blue with nary a cloud and the autumn air crisp with a scent of the coming snows, the express riders were burying another one of their own. 

Noah had gone with Rosemary to keep her safe from the shoot-out that he knew would occur between the Army and the outlaws that Jesse's brother was riding with, but Rosemary had her own ideas on how to deal with the man who'd killed her husband. When the man in question didn't go down in the hail of gunfire from the Army and the Army began to retreat, she charged down the incline with her own gun blazing. Then her horse slipped on the muddy ground and sent her tumbling into the muck…that's when Noah jumped from his horse to pull her back. 

Just as he was handing her up to a waiting soldier, one of the outlaws began shooting again, so Noah started to return fire. He was spun around with the impact of the first bullet that seared through his shoulder, then he was nearly knocked over by the one that hit him in the chest. Meanwhile, Cody had ridden up on his horse to help him, but he had no idea that the life force was already slipping away from his friend. They weren't even halfway to town when Noah fell from his horse. When they returned to town, Cody was a mess and Noah was dead. The Lieutenant had also lost several of his own men, but he wasn't going to let that deter him from the job that had to be done and Cody was also not going to let anything deter him from getting the men that caused Noah's death.

The month had started out on a joyful note…Lou had finally agreed to marry Kid and they had asked Teaspoon perform the ceremony the following Saturday. As the days passed and the wedding drew closer, which was the talk of the town, Lou had begun to get nervous. Kid didn't show up till just after supper the evening before his wedding day, but he told Lou that he had to make a special stop to pick up their rings. Saturday morning dawned bright and beautiful and the ceremony went on as planned, with the exception of Jimmy being late. Then just as the wedding party exited the church, a soldier came riding towards town. He didn't survive, only long enough to let his friends know how bad the fighting had got. Now they were burying Noah.

Buck stood rock still next to Jimmy as Teaspoon began to speak. He barely heard the words, but they still reached his aching heart. They had lost Ike just a few short weeks after moving to Rock Creek and now they've lost Noah. All because Rosemary wanted to avenge her husbands death. He understood the feeling though…he'd felt the same way after the attacks his village had been through, especially the one that happened while he'd gone hunting with his brother. He recalled the plea that Little Bird whispered to him before they'd left the village, but he had paid her no mind and went anyway. He still held a tiny bit of guilt in his heart because when they had returned, Little Bird was gone and his people had been murdered. Now, with this burial, he definitely had to ask Teaspoon for some time off so that he could go see how his Snow Fox was doing. He'd not heard from her in a while and felt a strong urge to make sure she was ok.

Meanwhile over in Sweetwater, Patrick had dropped Jenny and Brandon off at Amber's house that morning while he went to work and now Amber was trying to write a letter to Buck. She stared at the blank paper, her pen poised to write, but nothing came to mind. So she closed her eyes, only to have his image swim behind them. Then she quickly opened them to stare at the blank page again. 

'Dearest Buck', was all that she had written because her brain was so fogged with the recollection of the tender kisses he had given her.

"Aaarrgg," she groaned in frustration as she tossed the pen down and stood up to pace the floor.

Jenny, who was in the parlor feeding her son, looked up with a smile and asked; "What's the matter Amber?"

Amber just rolled her eyes because she knew that her friend knew the answer, then she mumbled a few un-ladylike words before she sat down to begin the letter all over again while Jenny let a small giggle escape.

"Oh be quiet Jen…feed your son."

"You know it ain't proper for a lady to be swearin'."

"Don't care," she replied as she crumpled up the paper. Then she took a deep breath, gathered her thoughts again and begins for the fifth time in trying to write a simple letter.
 

Dear Buck     2 October 1861

Hope this letter finds you to be in good health. I've been meaning to write since I returned home a couple weeks ago, but there's been so much going on. The town is talking about the fighting happening down 
South and the people are already choosing sides. Don't they know that we are all equal in the eyes of our great father in the sky? It is hard for me, as it must be for you to see our brothers fight each other. I am sure it is doubly hard for Kid, Teaspoon and my dear cousin Rachel, being that they were born in the South. I know that it is their homeland, but I pray that they will not leave because I, for one, do not wish to lose any of them to a war that seems so senseless.

Anyway, my family says to bring you to the village next summer. They would like to see you again and…oh, before I forget, Jenny had a boy. His name is Brandon Michael. Sun Hawk and Prairie Blossom will soon be holding their baby too. Mother and Father are so proud, now they wait for me to bless them with a grandchild. Well, wait they must. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely with Affection,
Amber

PS: Did you get to see Little Bird yet?
 

She read the letter again, to make sure it was ok. Then with a satisfied sigh she said, "I think that's it. Would you care to listen to it Jenny, before I mail it off?"

"Sure," she answered with a smile. When Amber finished reading it, Jenny smiled again before saying, "There's somthin' I forgot to tell you that happened while you were gone."

"What?"

"He was here."

"Who?"

"Buck."

"Wh-at?"

Jenny had to laugh a little then she began to tell Amber about Buck's visits.

"He came a few times, but didn't stay for long…just helped out with the horses and basically wandered around the place and…"

"And what?" Amber asked in a whisper.

"He slept on your bed."

Amber slowly sank back onto the chair, not believing what Jenny just said. Then asked why he would do such a thing.

"Said he wanted to be close to you even if you weren't physically here."

"No way."

"He most certainly did," she replied. "One more thing…he left a couple of his shirts."

Amber had jumped up from the chair so quickly to get to her room, that she didn't even care if it toppled to the floor. When she reached her room, she stood in front of the dresser then began to yank the drawers open and tossed clothes left and right till she came across his shirts. She grabbed one and clutched it to her chest as tears filled her eyes. Then she looked up when she heard Jenny's footsteps and whispered; "That's why I haven't been able to sleep for the past week…I kept smelling his essence on the sheets.

Jenny just smiled and said, "Come on, let's get that letter posted." 

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

When they returned to the house, after posting the letter and picking up a few supplies, Amber waved good-by to her friends as they rode back to their own home. Then she gathered her packages and headed into her kitchen. After everything was put away she began to make herself a light dinner and heated some water for her bath. When she'd finished eating, she gathered things for the tub and slowly sank her tired body into the warm, rose scented water. An hour later the water began to get cold, but she was so relaxed that she didn't want to get out. Eventually, when she could no longer stand the chilled water, she exited the tub, dried off and dressed. Then she slowly made her way to her room…leaving the tub to be tended to in the morning.

She stopped in the doorway, staring at the mess she'd created earlier in her search for Buck's shirts. Then with a sigh she began to put everything back in its proper place and then fell exhaustedly onto her bed, holding one of Buck's shirts close to her heart. 

The next morning she dressed in a pair of pants and Buck's shirt as she mentally ticked of the list of things to do for the day. Then she was nearly startled out of her wits when a knock sounded at the door. She took a deep breath and went to answer it.

"Oh…it's you."

"Of course. Who else would it be?" Jenny answered with a smile. Then she noticed what Amber was wearing. "I guess you wanted to be close to him too."

"Huh?"

"The shirt."

"Oh yeah…the shirt. Well I got chores to do. You know where everythin' is, so help yourself."

A few hours later, Amber came into the house to get another cup of coffee and a biscuit before going back to stay with Butterscotch. Then she went back out to sit on the porch swing. Thunders Pride and Smoky were out in the corral so that the barn would be quiet for the birth of the foal. She smiled. She couldn't wait to see the new baby.

"Long mornin?" Jenny asked as she and Brandon came outside to sit with her.

"Mhm. Butterscotch is in labor."

"Need any help?"

"Not yet," she replied as she finished the biscuit and coffee. Then she got up, stretched, placed her cup on the table next to the swing and headed back to the barn.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

"It's a filly," she exclaimed another two hours later. "You did good girl," she told Butterscotch as she wiped a cool cloth across her the mare's sweat slicked neck. "Now I'll just leave you alone to get aquatinted with your little one."

As she stepped from the stall, she noticed that Jenny was standing there with her own child cradled in her arms. Amber gazed upon Brandon's sleeping form then back to Butterscotch and her new baby, then back to Jenny.

"What's it like?"

"You mean havin' a baby?"

"Yes."

"A lot of things."

"Like what?" she asked as they made their way back to the house.

Jenny smiled down at her son before answering her friend's question. When they were inside, she placed Brandon on the sofa then took a breath and began to tell of the joys of having a child.

"Wait a minute," Amber interrupted when Jenny mentioned early morning sickness. "Just how much sickness is there?"

"Not much. Some women don't even have any."

"Did you?"

"Only a little, but it passed quickly," Jenny answered. "The only thing I didn't like about bein' pregnant was when Brandon decided he wanted to be born."

"Was the pain too much for you?"

"Just a bit, but when I held him that first time, the pain was nothin' compared to the joy of havin' him 
in my arms."

Amber thought about what Jenny said as she gathered up a bucket so she could empty the water from last night's bath. When she had emptied the last bucket-full, she hauled the tub out the door to turn it upside-down against the house to dry then she went back in to wash up at the sink before starting dinner. As she shed her dirty clothes and donned on clean ones, she continued to think of becoming a mother herself someday then she sighed, knowing that that day was a long way off.

"It'll happen for you," Jenny replied, knowing what her friend was thinking. "He'll be here soon and then you can start your own family."

"You think so?"

"Yes."
 

CHAPTER 12

Sweetwater - Mid October 1861

Amber stood in her garden one last time, digging up the remaining vegetables before the winter really began to set in. Then with a sigh she stood and took a look around at the land she called home. 

Sun Hawk had been by a little over a week ago and finally got to meet Jenny. The first night at her home, as she, Jenny and Patrick sat on the porch, her brother let them know that gone to speak with the Lakota Chief. He also informed Jenny that her brother, Two Ponies was a happy, healthy little boy. The Chief's new wife loved Two Ponies as her own. Sun Hawk had also mentioned that Black Wolf was no longer among the living and when Jenny heard this she decided that she wanted to visit with her Lakota family. So Sun Hawk agreed that he and his men would escort them to the village. They had left the next morning and weren't expected back for another few days. 

Amber sighed again; happy that everything was working out for her friends then she turned at the sound of her name being whispered on the wind.

"Buck?"

"Hi."

When he stepped closer she thinks about backing away, but can't seem to get her feet to move. Suddenly his arms are wrapped about her waist and she is pulled close to him. He just holds her for several long moments then gently cups her chin and places the tiniest whisper of a kiss on her chilled lips, making them soft and warm. As the warmth spreads throughout her body, she drops her basket of vegetables and wraps her own arms around his waist. So many sensations bombarded her from all directions causing her to tremble with an intensity of emotions.

"Lord I've missed you," he breathed when he pulled away from the kiss. Then he noticed the tears clinging to her lashes and asked her what was wrong.

"Nothin'," she answered softly as she snuggled closer to him, to keep him near her heart. 

"You sure?"

"Yes."

"Well then, I guess we'd better get inside before it gets too dark."

Then he bent down to retrieve the basket she had dropped and they slowly made their way to the house. Once inside, he set the vegetables on the table and then went over to the fireplace to place some more wood on the dying coals. As he stood again, he turned to look at Amber, who had started to cut the vegetables; he felt a stirring in his blood that he'd not felt before. He knew then that Dancing Cloud had been right. Amber was to be his wife. He stood there with a smile, watching her as she gathered the things she needed for the meal. When she looked his way, heat flashed through his body and he quickly walked over to her.

"Snow Fox," he began as he gently cupped her face, "would you marry me?"

She was speechless…stunned even and couldn't even form a coherent thought to give him an answer. Then his lips met hers in a gentle caress and she felt as if the ground beneath her feet was sinking, but then he scooped her up into his arms and walked the short distance to her room.

Hours later as they were finally getting dinner started, he once again asked her to be his bride. He even got down on one knee just like he'd been taught at the Missionary School he had attended so long ago. When she began to cry in earnest, he thought that maybe he was going about it all wrong, but she fell to her knees and whispered "yes" as she hugged him tightly.

Two days later, Buck was on his way back to Rock Creek so that he could let their friends know of their plans and to get back to work. When he reached the bunkhouse, he noticed the remaining riders just sitting around with long faces. Curious as to what had gone wrong in his absence, he looped the reigns around a fence post and walked over to where they sat.

"What's up guys?"

Jimmy, Louise and Kid looked up at him then Kid got to his feet.

"We got some news from the main office."

"What kind of news?"

Kid glanced at the other two, sighed then answered, "The Pony Express is bein' disbanded at the end of the month."

Buck couldn't believe what he was hearing. They all knew about the Telegraph Wire, but they didn't think that the riders would be totally out of a job. Now he had nothing. Well, maybe not nothing. He 
had Amber, but how was he to support her when all he knew was delivering the mail and tending to the horses. Then he asked about Rachel and Teaspoon.

"They're at the house," Lou answered.

Teaspoon and Rachel were at the table talking in hushed tones as he came sprinting inside. When they looked up, he could tell that Rachel had been crying and Teaspoon's eyes were also a bit shiny. Then the old Texas Ranger stood and embraced the fourth rider left in his outfit.

"They told you?"

"Yes. So now what are we goin' to do?"

"I don't know son, I just don't know."

That evening, supper was a quiet occasion. Teaspoon had left his deputy in charge of the office while he spent time with his rag-tag family…what was left of them. He missed their silent rider, who'd they lost not long after moving to this town, he missed the crazy antics of Cody. Cody had gone and joined up with the Army. They'd buried Noah just weeks ago and Jesse was now riding with his brother Frank. All that was left were Buck, Jimmy (the hotheaded temperamental rider), and Kid and Louise…they'd been married just before Noah got killed.

"Teaspoon?"

"Huh?" he replied as he lifted his tired eyes.

"You still goin' to be Marshall of Rock Creek after our last runs?"

"No, don't think so," he replied as a twinkle began to sparkle in those wizened eyes of his.

The other five people looked at each other and back to their friend then Jimmy asked why he wasn't going to do so.

"Well," he began as he stood. "I've been meanin' to ask a certain woman for her hand in marriage, that is," he turned to Rachel, "if she'll have me?"

There was a collective gasp that could be heard throughout the town, from those who still sat at the table. Then Rachel began to cry. Louise leaned over to give her a hug and the boys all gave Teaspoon a friendly pat on the back. Then they waited for Rachel to answer the question.

She glanced at the men and woman gathered around her table as the tears continued to trek down her cheeks. Then she faced the man who had offered to marry her and quietly said yes.

"Good," he replied. "I was hopin' so."

Buck cleared his throat and when all eyes were focused on him, he said, "I asked Amber to be wife while I was visitin' her this time…"

"Aaannd?"

"She said yes."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

October 31, 1861

It was the last day of Pony Express. All their belongings were packed and waiting to be loaded into the wagons. Teaspoon was at the office finishing up some paper work. Jimmy was going to stay in Rock Creek as the Marshall, but said he'd start after the weddings. Kid and Louise were on their way to Saint Joseph to pick up Jeremiah and Teresa, saying that they would meet up with the others in Sweetwater. Buck was supposed to be at the Livery selling back the horses, but he had left early that morning and was now setting the old horses and some of the younger ones free, to live their lives out on the plains. He planned on taking the remaining young horses with them as they traveled back to Sweetwater as a present for his bride to be. He smiled as he watched the horses, their manes flying with the breeze. Then he was startled by a noise and spun around to see Rachel and Teaspoon standing there.

"You weren't s'posed to let them go son."

"I know, but the older ones deserved to run free after all the hard work they'd done for us."

"And the young-ins that are with them?"

"They're to keep the elders safe from harm and to start their own herd."

No more was necessary to say. So the three of them just stood there watching the pony's that had been on so many runs with them, race with the wind. Suddenly one of the young stallions turned around to face his human counterparts and lifted his head in salute. He then reared on his hindquarters, as if to say good-by, then he was twisting back toward the others, rounding them up as they galloped into the sunset.

"He'll be a fine leader," Buck whispered.
 

EPILOGUE

Sweetwater - Hutchinson Farm - January 1862

Buck and Patrick were outside trying to replace some of the railings and fence posts that had been blown down by the windstorm they had during the last week of December.  Amber and Jenny were in the kitchen preparing a warm meal for the men while 5-month-old Brandon slept peacefully in his bed. As the two women talked, they took turns looking out the window to see how their husbands were fairing.

Amber had to smile as she recalled the "argument" over if the Hutchinson family were going to be staying in Sweetwater or if they were going to live in Salt Lake City to be near Patrick's relatives. It was no contest. Jenny won, hands down, but her husband took it like a champ…he said they could always move when Brandon got older.

"You know Jen," she said as she turned away from the window, "I'm really glad you two decided to stay."

"Me too. Gettin' to see my brother was terrific and my father is finally comin' to terms that Two Ponies will always be a part of this family."

"You mentioned that he was comin' up for a visit someday and that he would like to get to know the Lakota that raised you. Is he still?"

"Yes, hopefully in a few weeks. He's a proud man, but I think the loss of my mother really changed him for the better."

"Mm," Amber replied then asked, "You think the boys could go for a cup of hot coffee?"

"Yeah. It is awfully cold out there."

Amber gathered two mugs and filled them full of the steaming brew, but before she went near the door, Jenny asked her if she was going to let Buck know about the baby.

"Soon," she smiled. Then she stepped out onto the porch.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Buck saw his wife step outside with a mug in each hand, steam rising from the warm liquid that they held. He smiled. They had been married on Christmas day along with Teaspoon and Rachel. The double ceremony was the best wedding he'd ever been to, being that part of it was his own and now his Snow Fox was glowing with something other than the wind that chilled her cheeks. He dropped the hammer that he'd been holding and walked over to where she stood.

As they gazed at each other, he took the cups from her hands, placed them on the porch railing and gathered her into his arms. They held each other for quite a while before he whispered "I need to talk to you," in her ear. Then they silently walked over to the barn.

Amber's body felt afire due to the blush that crept from the tips of her feet to the top of her head. Her husband said he wanted to talk, but she had the sneaking suspicion that he just wanted to be alone with her. Apparently he couldn't wait till they returned home. Just as well. She was going to let him know that they would be parents in the fall.

Once inside the barn, Buck turned to Amber and framed her oval face between his large hands. Then he slowly lowered his lips to hers. When he disengaged from the kiss, he asked; "Have I told you how much I love you Mrs. Cross?"

"N-not recently," she gasped as his still chilled hands began to undo the buttons down the back of her dress.

"I do you know," he replied.

"Tell me…show me," she answered on a sigh.

Back at the house, Jenny had bundled up little Brandon to go outside and poured another cup of coffee to give her husband since it seemed like the Newlyweds were going to be busy for a while. She was smiling as she walked over to where Patrick was busy hammering away at one of the railings. When she stood just inches away from him, he looked up.

His eyes lit up at the sight of his beautiful wife holding their son as she stood there in the cold weather. She then held up the coffee mug for which he gladly reached for then he took a careful sip, so as not to burn his tongue even though he wanted to gulp it down.

"Mmm, that tastes wonderful," he said after his second sip. "Thank you sweetheart."

"You're welcome. Are you going to be able to finish this before night comes?"

"Might, but it seems as if my helper has disappeared."

Jenny let out a small giggle. She knew Patrick was just teasing because he also knew about the baby that Amber was going to have. Then she gives him a kiss before heading back inside with his now empty mug. Moments later, a flushed looking Amber strolls into the house and gracefully melts into the couch.

"I take it you told him?"

"Hm?" Amber replied dazedly.

"The baby?"

"Oh. Yeah, I told him."

"And?"

Amber flushed a little more before answering her friend.

Meanwhile, Buck had practically floated back, with a silly grin plastered on his face, to help Patrick mend the railings on the corral while thinking about the child his wife said was due in the fall.

"A baby. A little person like my Snow Fox."

Then he picked up the hammer he had dropped earlier when he'd seen his wife standing on the porch with the two steaming cups of coffee in her hands and begins to hammer away at another nail. When the hammer slipped, he muttered an oath and Patrick started to chuckle.

"What's so funny about hittin' my thumb?"

"Nothin'."

They continued to work in silence, but when Buck hit his thumb for a third time, Patrick laughed louder then questioned, "She told you…didn't she?"

"Yeah," Buck responded with awe in his voice. Now he fully understood what Dancing Cloud had meant when they had their talk during Amber's 18th birthday at the village.
 

"…she will be the echo of your soul and you of hers, till the day you become as one then your souls will be filled completely…"
 


THE END
 

Comments?  Email Kimberly


 
 
.

.