.
.
 
Entreat Me Not

by Lori Olsen

Prologue

“…I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.” 

Emma remembered hearing the preacher, but he seemed far off and distant. She only remembered being focused completely on the man standing in front of her. Sam. Her love, her life, and now he was her husband. She loved him unlike she’d ever loved any man. She never thought she’d find someone she could give her heart completely to, like she had to Sam. He completed her, even when he was aggravating her. 

Sam leaned in and softly brought his lips to hers, bringing cheers from the assembled group of friends and townspeople. She stepped back and stared lovingly into his eyes. She was lost in gaze. The way his eyes danced when he smiled, the little laugh lines at the corners of his eyes, the way his mouth curled into a lopsided grin, everything about him made her heart race. They turned as the preacher introduced them as “Mr. and Mrs. Sam Cain,” and smiled at their friends. 
 

Chapter 1

Emma busied herself around the kitchen of her house, gathering things for supper before she headed over to the bunkhouse. She hadn’t even been married a month, and she and Sam had yet to fully decide what they were going to do. She loved her home, loved being near the riders, but she knew that Sam needed to be closer to town. She sensed he was hesitant to take her away from all that she’d known for so long, however she knew that they needed to work something out soon. 

Sam wasn’t home yet when the riders sat down for dinner. She told them that she would wait for Sam and eat whenever he returned, and then sat quietly mending a shirt for Cody as the riders joked and laughed with Mr. Spoon. She was grateful for their joviality and the distraction of her mending, they both helped keep her mind from becoming stuck in her worry of the meetings Sam 
was having in town this past week. 

When dinner was completed and cleaned up, Emma slowly walked back to her house. It was dark and empty, and she realized at that moment how much she was truly in love with Sam. In the brief time they’d been married, she’d become so accustomed to being with him that when he wasn’t there she missed him terribly. All her life, she’d been independent. She knew how to take care of herself, and didn’t like it when anyone treated her like she couldn’t. Sam was different. He knew she didn’t want to be hovered over or be told she couldn’t do something, because she would turn around and do it just for spite or to be contrary. Sometimes she was amazed at how much she’d come to love to him and how much he seemed to complete her life. 

Striking a match, she held it to the wick of the lamp, then replaced the glass. She adjusted the wick, bringing a soft glow to the room. After putting a few things away, Emma then picked up the lamp and made her way upstairs to ready herself for bed. As she sat tying the end of her long red hair in a braid, she began to earnestly wonder where Sam was. The territorial official who’d been in town all week was supposed to return to the capital tomorrow. This was the longest meeting, by far, and she wondered what it was the two could be discussing. 

*  *  *  *  *

Sam sat in his office, tipped back in his chair, staring absently into the night. Mr. Blackburn returned to the hotel several hours before and Sam walked back into his office after seeing the man off with every intention of going straight home. Three hours later, he was still sitting in his chair, oblivious to his surroundings. He finally glanced at the clock on the wall and briefly considered staying in his old room above the jail when he saw how late it was. Then he knew he couldn’t do that to Emma, and with a weary sigh stood up and walked out of the office with slow, trudging steps. 

He slowed his approach as the ranch came into view, and momentarily contemplated turning around. Emma would not be happy with him, for so many things, the least of which would be missing supper 
for the third night in a row. Her anger over missing supper would be the least of his worries when she heard the outcome of all the meetings. 

Sam slowly exited the barn after putting his horse inside and quietly made his way across the yard up to the house. The moon was three-quarter’s full and cast a clear light across the ground. The heat from the late summer’s day was gone, replaced with a soft breeze that stirred the air. He noticed 
none of these as he stepped gingerly onto the porch and opened the door. A pale glow from the lamp drew his attention to the parlor and the figure sitting in the chair. 

Closing the door quietly behind him, Sam paused and looked at his wife. Emma was asleep in the chair, a book in her lap, the lamp on the table beside her. He felt guilty that she’d stayed up waiting for him, but a small smile tugged at his mouth as he realized it as a gesture of her love for him. He gazed at her lovingly, grateful everyday that she was in his life. He loved her deeply, and only regretted never asking her to marry him sooner. If he had, he would have had so much more time with her. 

Silently walking over to her chair, he stopped and brushed a stray lock of hair off her face before leaning down to kiss her forehead. Her eyelids fluttered opened and then a smile spread across her face as her eyes focused on the face of her husband. He knelt down by her chair as she straightened herself from the position she slipped to during her sleep. At the same time they reached out and entwined their fingers together and then leaned toward each other meeting in a kiss. 

“Have you eaten?” Emma asked. 

“Yeah, got somethin’ in town. I’m sorry I was so late, lost track of time.” 

“That’s alright, I knew you’d be home as soon as you could.” 

Sam ducked his head and cleared his throat as he thought about almost not coming home, but decided not to share that with Emma. “You must be tired, why don’t you head on up to bed?” 

“Sam, what’s wrong?” she asked with a worried tone in her voice. Something was definitely off in his manner and she was determined to find out why. 

“Nothin’. Just got a lot on my mind. You go ahead, I’ll be up in a moment.” 

Emma nodded and stood up. Instead of walking to the staircase, she turned and walked to the kitchen and began to busy herself there. Sam smiled faintly as he wondered how she saw through his lie about supper. He was grateful for her ability to read him, because he was hungry and food would be an excuse to further delay what he didn’t want to do. Tell Emma he was leaving. 
 

Chapter 2

As the light supper was finished, the two sat in silence at the table. Emma knew Sam was worried and preoccupied by the way he stared absently at the plate before him and when he would finally look up, directing his gaze out the window instead of looking at her. She had never seem him this uncomfortable, except for the night he proposed. As she stood up to clear the table, Sam finally reached out and took her hand. 

“Come sit with me?” he asked motioning to the davenport in front of the fireplace. 

“Little hot for a fire, isn’t it Sam?” she teased as she walked with him. When he responded with nothing more than a faint mumble she earnestly began to worry. All these meetings with Mr. Blackburn, going later and later into the night, Sam not talking about them, and his withdrawn moods were causing all sorts of thoughts to leap into her mind. Was his job in trouble? Sam loved being a marshal, what would happen to him if his job was taken away from him again? When Van Dorn came into town and caused Sam to lose his job, she saw how much it devastated him. Without the direction and purpose in life his job gave him, Emma didn’t want to think where he would be. 

After sitting and staring into the empty fireplace for several minutes, Sam finally spoke. “Mr. Blackburn’s goin’ back tomorrow.” 

Emma nodded, already knowing this. She reached over and took his hand, squeezing it lightly in show of her support. 

“He’s offered me a new job,” he finally said. 

Emma slowly let out the breath she’d been holding, immensely relieved that Sam still had a job. A new job wasn’t the end of the world. A move would be hard, but they would survive it. “What is the job?” 

“Territorial Marshal.” 

“That’s a wonderful job, Sam. You don’t seem real happy about it though.” 

“Well, I’ve just been thinkin’ ‘bout what takin’ it will mean. The job requires I have to move to the Territorial Capitol.” 

Emma sat quiet thinking what a move would mean. They’d be leaving Sweetwater. Her home for many years, where her friends were and so many memories. She would miss the house, but she wasn’t so foolish as to think that she and Sam wouldn’t build a home someplace else. What she really dreaded was leaving behind the riders. 

She’d become very attached to the five boys and one small girl she’d opened up her ranch and her heart to. Each one so unique in their personalities and their ties to her. They were like her children, and she loved them dearly. She was saddened to realize that she wouldn’t be near them everyday to help them continue to become the wonderful men and lady she knew they could be. 

Cody, a brash young man who everyone thought was arrogant, but she knew the real person inside. A young man that cared deeply, so much he had to cover it up with his jokes to survive. Buck, torn between two worlds, and desperately trying to find his place in each. She hoped he would find acceptance and happiness, but knew that he would with his friends around him, especially Ike. Gentle Ike, a young man dealt a rough hand by life, but just as determined as Buck to find where he belonged. He was filled with such goodness she hoped he wouldn’t become disillusioned and jaded as he continued through life. Kid, a strong, loyal friend, determined to help those around him. He had such a strong belief of right and wrong that she knew he would go far. 

So different, and yet already forming a strong friendship with Kid, was Jimmy. Like Cody, he kept his true feelings hid behind a rough exterior, and yet she had seen the tender, caring side of Jimmy. She knew any woman lucky enough to win his heart would see that side as well. Finally, there was sweet Lullabelle. A young woman, hiding in a man’s world, fiercely independent and determined to succeed. Emma would miss her most, because she felt Lou needed her help the most. Would the new station keeper be able to help Louise maintain and even regain her femininity? 

Emma vowed to herself that she would maintain in contact with each of them and continue to guide them where she could. Still holding his hand, she gave it a reaffirming squeeze and smiled. “Well, I’ll sure miss Sweetwater and everyone here, but this is such a wonderful opportunity for you.” 

“Well, that’s the thing Emma. I was thinkin’ how much you love your home here.” 

“Our home,” she interjected. 

“Our home,” he replied a bit distracted. “But I don’t think it’s fair of me to take you away from it. Blackburn said I’d be traveling quite a bit at first. I’d hardly ever be in the capitol to tell the truth. So I thought you could just stay here and I’ll try and get back here as often as I can to see you.” 

Emma pulled her hand back, stunned by what Sam just said. Bitter tears sprang to her eyes by the thought that Sam wanted to leave her behind. Married less than a month and already she had another husband walking out on her. 
 

Chapter 3

Watching Emma swipe hastily at her eyes, Sam had to speak. “Emma, it’ll only be for a little bit. Once I get settled in more and won’t be gone so often, then I’ll get us a nice little house. This way you won’t have to be alone in a new city while I’m gone.” 

“Sam Cain, do you honestly think I care about being alone in a strange city? I don’t. I’ve done it before, I can do it again.” 

“I know,” Sam said gently. “I was only thinkin’-“ 

“No you weren’t,” Emma cut in. “If you were thinkin’ there’d be no way you’d ask me to stay here while you moved to a new job. 

“Emma,” he said softly. 

“No. I thought you were different Sam Cain. I thought you would never do to me what Evan did. He walked out on me, and that’s just what you’re doin’ now.” 

She got up and quickly walked away, keeping her back to him so he couldn’t see the tears falling down her cheeks. Sam sat on the sofa, stunned by her outburst. He thought he was doing well by offering to let her stay at the ranch instead of having to sit alone in some new city. He never imagined she’d react this way, or that she would ever compare him Evan Crandall. 

He stood and ran his fingers wearily through his hair. Then he walked over Emma and gently placed his hands on her shoulders. She startled at his touch, but didn’t pull away. Placing a soft kiss on her head he whispered, “I’m sorry.” 

She turned and wrapped her arms around his waist. He pulled her close and hugged her tightly to his chest. 

“I would never walk out on you Emma. I told you that once before, and I meant it then, just as I mean it now. I love you so much. I just wanted you to be happy and thought if I had to be gone so much you’d be happier here with the boys than adjusting to some new city.” 

She pushed away from him and dabbed her eyes lightly with her fingers. “I know,” she said with a tired smile. “Do you know what I was reading while I was waiting for you?” 

Sam shook his head, surprised by the odd change of the topic, but he waited patiently for Emma to continue. 

“I was reading the Bible. I used to read it more when I was younger but didn’t as much as I got older. I started reading it more after the riders came.” 

Sam gave her a questioning look, but again waited for her to continue at her own pace. 

“Russell, Majors and Waddell gave each of the boys a Bible when they signed on. I thought if the company thought it was important enough for the riders to have one, I should read it more myself. One of them might actually read it and ask about it, and I thought I should be prepared to answer any questions they might have. I never thought I would come to find such joy in it, and that it would end up helping me so much.” 

As she was talking, she walked to the chair and picked up the book off the table where she placed it when Sam arrived. She came back and sat down on the davenport and waited for Sam to join her. She gently traced her fingers over the gold lettering on the front while the book rested in her lap. Sam sat beside her and wrapped his arm around her shoulder, pulling her close. Emma rested her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes while taking in a deep breath. 

“When I was a child my mother used to read me stories from the Bible. She used to sit in her chair, while I sat beside her listening. At first I just loved listening to the sound of her voice while she read, but eventually I really came to love the stories. Daniel in the lion’s den, Noah and the Ark, the birth of Jesus and the Savior’s life on earth. 

“Now when I read it, I find things that I love as much as those stories, or even more. Things my mother never read me, because I wouldn’t have understood them as I do now. I had to discover them on my own and in doin’ so they mean even more to me.” 

She fell silent, as she continued to rest her head on Sam. He brought his hand up and softly ran his fingers over her hair. Finally she raised her head and looked him in the eye so she could communicate more fully with him. 

“One of my favorites is the story of Ruth. I was reading it again tonight while I was waiting for you to come home. Do you know that story?” 

Sam shook his head to indicate he didn’t. He felt almost shameful he didn’t know the Bible as much as Emma did. Hearing her talk about it, he sensed how deeply she cared for what it contained. 

Emma smiled and her face lit up with love. “Then I’ll tell you. She was an amazing woman, and I know you’ll understand why I think it wasn’t just coincidence that I read her story tonight.” 
 

Chapter 4

“The story begins with Naomi, her husband and two sons leaving their home and traveling to another land. While in Moab, the new place they were livin’, her sons married. Then her husband and her sons died and she was alone, except for her son’s wives. Naomi decided to return to her home and Ruth and the other wife went with her, but Naomi told them to go back to their families. She had no way to care for herself or them and thought they’d be better staying behind with their families. The other wife, went back to her family, but not Ruth.” 

Emma paused and lightly ran her finger over the page, finding the exact place she was looking for. “Then this is what Ruth told Naomi. ‘Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee. For wither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge. Thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God. Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried. The Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.’” 

Emma stopped reading and kept her head down, looking at the open book lying in her lap. Finally she looked up and her moist eyes glistened in the soft light. Sam tenderly wiped a tear away that escaped from the corner of her eye and smiled gently. He had conflicting emotions running through him, and wasn’t entirely sure of the point Emma was trying to make, so held his patience and waited for her to continue. 

She cleared her throat and in a voice thick with emotion asked, “isn’t that wonderful Sam? Ruth loved her mother-in-law so much that she was willing to leave her home and go with Naomi. She knew that their life wouldn’t be easy, but she didn’t mind. That’s how I feel Sam. I know you’re worried about taking me from my home and my friends, but they don’t mean as much to me as you do. You’re my husband, and my place is with you.” 

“Emma, don’t you think I want you with me? But I’m not goin’ to be at the capitol very much, especially at first. I wanted you to be happy, and not be miserable sittin’ alone in a strange city.” 

“I don’t care Sam. I want to be where you are. I love you Sam.” 

“I love you Emma. I want you to come with me, to be there with me. But I only want you to come as long as you’re sure you’ll be happy.” 

Emma smiled broadly, and her shoulders shook with gentle laughter. “Sam Cain, haven’t you heard a word I’ve said? You are such a good man, so different than many of the men I’ve known. You want me to be happy, and I love you so much for that. I will be happy any place as long as we’re together.” 

Sam’s shoulders sagged with tremendous relief. He’d convinced himself that having Emma stay behind would be the best thing, but he discovered yet another reason why he loved her dearly. She knew more than he did, that they both would be miserable if she stayed in Sweetwater. Many times he cursed her stubbornness and the way she refused to yield when she set her mind to something. Tonight, he was grateful for that trait. He closed his eyes and settled back on the sofa, drawing Emma close to him and resting her against his side. He said a silent prayer of thanks for the wonderful woman that was in his life, and he wondered how he was lucky enough to deserve her. 

“Thank you, Emma,” he said in a soft voice. “Thank you for not listening tonight to a foolish man.”

“You’re not foolish, Sam, you’re just endearing. But why in the world did you ever think I would agree to a foolhardy notion like stayin’ behind?” 

“A strange, silly thought that you’d actually be happier this way,” he told her, a small laugh creeping into his voice. 

“Well, obviously these late meetings have been making you lose sleep and you’re not thinkin’ clearly,” she bantered back, the gentle teasing making her voice light. “So, now that we have this settled, I think we’ve been up late enough” 

“Well, I’ve learned one thing tonight,” Sam said, the same light tone in his voice. “Never argue with a woman when she’s right.” 

He brought his arm out from behind her and then slowly stood up. Smiling, he turned and pulled Emma up from their seat and gently kissed her. Then he picked up the lamp from the table, wrapped one arm around her waist and pulling her close walked beside her up the stairs. 
 

Epilogue

Sam slowly walked up the steps to the bedroom, running his hand lightly over the banister worn smooth from many years of use. He paused at the top of the landing, a wild jumble of thoughts tumbling around his brain. Quietly he opened the door to the bedroom he shared with Emma and stepped inside. She lay asleep on the bed, tired and exhausted after giving birth to their fourth child early that morning. The child lay sleeping in its cradle, and Sam took in the scene before him, smiling in wonder and love at the amazing woman who everyday made his life better. 

Every day for the past ten years he gave thanks for one night when Emma told him that wherever his life took him, her place was right beside him. Their life hadn’t always been easy, but together they built a life of love, happiness and were now raising three wonderful, if sometimes rowdy boys. Now they had a daughter and Sam fairly beamed as he walked to her cradle and gently lifted her into his arms. Her eyelids fluttered, but stayed shut as he gently began rocking her in his arms. 

“Hello there, little Ruth,” he said, his throat tight with emotion. “Your ma and I are so happy you’re here.” Settling into the rocking chair in the corner he said, “let me tell you a little story your mother told me one night about another amazing woman named Ruth.”

Comments?  Email Lori


 
 
.

.