.
.
 
 
From the Past,
A New Beginning

by Cheyenne

Part One

The wind blew fiercely and the cold bit at the face of the lone rider.  He pulled his hat down further and tightened his coat collar, securing it snuggly around his neck, an attempt to keep out the cold wind as he trudged toward home.

This would be his last mail run for a couple of days. When he handed over his mail pouch to the next rider at the way station, he was on vacation for two whole days and nights. He could hardly wait to get home, looking forward to sleeping away at least half of those days in his bunk. If it were not for this unruly weather he'd been able to start his vacation sooner. As it was, the wind and cold was making it difficult to keep up the steady speed he was accustomed to on his runs, forcing him to keep his animal at a brisk walk.

Suddenly the horse spooked, whinnying and throwing back its head as it tried to rear.  Buck Cross, the half-Kiowa pony express rider, held the mount sternly, keeping it under control. Then he saw what had startled the animal.

A small body lay in the animal’s path. Buck cautiously dismounted and looked around, keeping an ever-watchful eye out for danger. Neither seeing nor sensing any threatening signs, he moved closer to investigate. He crouched down next to the still form. 

It was a girl, clad in a simple deer skin dress and moccasins.  When he gently turned her over, he could see she looked to be about 18 or 19, and at least part Indian.  Long black hair hung just past her shoulders, light copper skin, and high cheekbones.  Her smooth face held the remnants of fading bruises, while her lower lip was scabbed by a barely healing cut. And he saw that one side of her dress was torn at the lacing on the shoulders.

Buck quickly listened for a heart beat, hearing a faint but steady beat as he did so.  The shock of finding her subsided and he moved into action.  Hurrying to his saddle and retrieving the blanket from his bedroll, he wrapped the girl in it then lifted her gently.  Carefully he laid her over the saddle until he could mount; then, cradling her in his arms, he gave his horse the command to go.

Braving the wind and cold he urged the reluctant horse into a run. The nearest place to get the young girl help was exactly where he was heading, the Sweet Water Way Station. Once there, Emma would know what to do and they could send someone for the doctor he was sure would be necessary.

**********************

Teaspoon Hunter paced the floor nervously as Emma set plates on the table, getting things ready for the evening meal.

"Where is that boy?" Teaspoon grumbled, "He ain’t never been this late before."

"Winds probably slowed him up," Lou, concealing her own concern, offered up as an explanation as she sat in her usual place at the table.

"Lou's right," Kid agreed as he took his place at the table across from Lou.

Teaspoon let out a defeated sigh. Though he didn’t voice it, he had to admit that they were probably right. He finally sat down at the dinner table as Emma began to set down the food.

Ike McSwain had been standing at the window, his own worry showing in his eyes as he watched for his friend to ride in, when Cody nudged him and motioned for him to come and eat. Reluctantly Ike followed Cody to the table.

Emma was putting the biscuits on the table when Jimmy Hickok burst through the door.

"Rider coming in!" he shouted, "It's Buck and he's got an extra package."

Teaspoon and the others jumped to their feet, stumbling over each other as they ran through the door. Emma stood in the doorway looking out.

"Get her to Emma!" Buck yelled over the wind, as they all reached him, as he carefully lowered the girl in his arms to the closest rider, who happened to be Ike.

Ike reached up and took the girl from Buck, while Cody helped to steady her limp form in Ike's arms.

Buck jumped from his horse and with one tug, he released the mailbags from his saddle. He threw the bags to the waiting rider, who, as soon as he grabbed the bags, gave his mount a kick with his heal and was off.

Buck followed the others into the house.

"Bring her upstairs," Emma was ordering Ike as she led the way.  "Louise, I’m gonna need your help."

Lou shoved her way through the others and followed Emma and Ike into the upstairs room, where Ike carefully laid the girl on the bed after Emma had thrown back the covers.

"Should we send for the doc?" Teaspoon asked from the doorway.

"Couldn’t hurt," Emma sighed, noticing the fading bruises and split lip on the girl. 

"Looks like someone’s roughed her up some,” Emma continued.

"I'll go,” Kid volunteered and raced out to saddle his mount.

"Now the rest of you get on out of here," Emma ordered.

Motioning to the bureau beside the bed, she said, "Lou, there's a night dress in that top drawer."

Lou retrieved the garment and handed it to Emma.

"Now get me some hot water and antiseptic," Emma insisted, as she began to ease off the unconscious girls tattered clothing.

Lou hurried out the door to retrieve the items Emma needed.
 

Part Two

Some time later, the group was gathered downstairs as they waited for Emma and the doctor to emerge from the upstairs room.  Buck sat on the lowest step leaning against the wall; the rest were either leaning up against a near-by wall or sitting at the table.  They all looked up as Emma and the doctor emerged from upstairs.

“Well?” Teaspoon urged as the silence from the doctor made his curiosity peek.

“She’ll be fine in a few days. The bruises on her face and cut on her lip look to be about a week old. They’re healing. I found some other scars on her arms and back. Looks like she’s been beat before.”

Teaspoon sighed disgustedly and shook his head.  The others muttered outrages amongst themselves.

“That’s not all,” the doctor interrupted. “I think she’s deaf.”

All eyes turned to his in shock.

“Her right ear drum has been broken, since birth I would guess, and the left ear has a blockage. I’m not sure from what. If she hears anything at all I’m sure it’s muffled.”

 He turned to Buck.  “You’re sure you don’t have any idea where she came from or who her family is?”

 Buck shook his head.  “Like I told you, I found her on the road. She was unconscious,” he answered Teaspoon, then turned toward the doctor. “She is gonna be all right?” 

“As far as I can tell she should recover just fine. She needs to rest and get some food down her. I don’t think she’s eaten in days,” he answered Buck

“Well I’ll see she gets some good food into her,” Emma assured him. 

The doctor took his coat from its hanging place around the back of a chair.  “I’ll be out tomorrow to check on her. She should sleep the rest of the night,” he told them as he made his way to the door.

“Thanks for comin’ out, Doc,” Teaspoon said.  The doctor nodded his welcome and left.

 Teaspoon looked at Buck.  “I think you could use some rest too, son. You’ve had a hard ride.”

Buck’s eyes were red and blood shot. His fatigue clearly showed.  “I think you’re right,” he agreed as he dragged himself off the stair he had been sitting on and walked toward the door.

“All right. The rest of you go get some sleep too. Cody, you’re up first thing in the morning,” Teaspoon told them.

Obligingly the other pony express riders followed Buck to the bunkhouse.
 

Part Three

The last thing she remembered was the biting cold and the blowing wind hammering in on her as she walked. She remembered feeling tired, so exhausted she could barely move, and all she had wanted was to sleep; sweet blissful slumber beckoned her with all its might. She was frightened and alone. She didn’t know what to do or where to go. She had welcomed the unconsciousness when it had over taken her despite the burning cold and wind.

But she didn’t feel the cold any more; she couldn’t feel the hard damp ground beneath her any longer. She was warm now and where she lay was soft and smelled of fresh lilacs in the summer.

Involuntarily her eyes began to flutter open. Hazily they scanned the place she found herself in. Sunlight beamed through the shear curtains over the window casting glowing rays on the walls of the room.

Suddenly her heart began to pound harder. Panic rose in her.

Where was she?   Weakly she sat herself up and leaned back against the headboard of the bed. She recognized nothing in this room. Feeling the strange softness against her skin she looked down to see, not her normal clothing, but something else she could not identify and had never seen before. Was she dead? 

The door of the room slowly began to open. Her eyes caught sight of it and stayed fixed on it. She froze with fear.

A woman walked through it, her red hair secured neatly in a bun at the back of her head. She wore a simple blue dress adorned with a cream colored apron. She carried a tray with her. The girl could smell the aroma of the food that must be on that tray, enticing her. She was starving.

The woman smiled. She could see her lips move but could not hear her words.

“Good morning,” Emma greeted her guest. “I’m glad to see you’re finally awake. I brought you some food.”

The girl pressed her back closer to the headboard as if she were trying to get away, her eyes wide in fear as Emma leaned over to set the tray down across the girl’s lap. 

Seeing this and not wanting to add the young girls discomfort, Emma slowly placed the tray on the bed beside the young girl and backed away.

“It’s all right.”  She spoke softly, trying to soothe the frightened girl. “I won’t hurt you.” 

Then Emma breathed a heavy sigh as she remembered the doctor had told them that the girl more than likely couldn’t hear. A sympathetic frown crossed her lips.

“You can’t hear a word I’m saying, can you?”

The girl stared at Emma, confusion mingled with the apparent fear still written in her expression.

The smell of fresh cooked eggs and muffins were tantalizing her hunger. Sensing no immediate danger the girl gave into her pangs of hunger, snatched up one of the muffins, and began to devour it ravenously while still keeping a watchful eye on the woman standing only a few inches from the bed.

Not hearing the soft knock at the door, the girl was startled when the woman turned toward it and a man walked into the room. The girl scrambled from the bed toppling the tray of food to the floor. Her eyes darted back and fourth around the room searching for a way out and away from these strangers. They stood blocking her only exit so she huddled herself into a far corner of the room, trembling, and gazing wild, terror filled eyes back at them.

The man was older, perhaps in his early 50’s with thin graying hair and one eye seeming to squint, as if the light hurt it more than it did the other one. Suspenders held up his pants and on his head was a derby hat. 

The woman moved closer to her, lips moving as she tried to communicate.

“He won’t hurt you,” Emma was saying as she moved closer, wanting to comfort the frightened girl.

But her motions only heightened the girls anxiety and made her dash to another corner of the room in an attempt to escape.

 Emma looked hopelessly at Teaspoon. “I don’t know how to make her understand.”

Teaspoon was looking at the girl, studying her more closely. She looked familiar somehow… as if he should know her. He could not put his finger on it but still there was something in her eyes that struck home with him. He had the strangest feeling he recognized her. Shaking the feeling aside something suddenly occurred to him. Apparently the girl was at least half Indian. Maybe, just maybe, she would know Indian sign. It was worth a shot.

“I got an idea,” he told Emma, anxiously patting her comfortingly on the shoulder before he quickly left the room and hurried down the stairs.

****

The riders sat at the table finishing their breakfast when Teaspoon rushed down the stairs and stopped midway, bellowing.

“Ike, get up here! Jimmy, go wake Buck, we’ll need him to interpret.”

Ike jumped to his feet, confused at Teaspoons order, but he obeyed.

“Is she awake?” Lou asked inquisitively. 

“Yup.” Teaspoon answered. “Scared to death. I’m hopin’ she’ll understand some of that sign Ike and Buck do.  We can’t seem to communicate with her.”

Curiosity overcame them. Cody, Lou and Kid moved to follow Teaspoon and Ike up the stairs as Jimmy quickly left to wake the still sleeping Buck.

“Now just hold on!” Teaspoon halted the trio. “She’s as nervous as an old cat in a room full’a rockin’ chairs right now. We don’t need all a you up there gawkin’ at her makin’ her even more skittish. Just stay put and send Buck up when he gets in here.”

The three frowned, disappointed that they could not satisfy their curiosity, but understood Teaspoons request and settled back to finish their breakfast.

The girl’s fright intensified even more as Teaspoon reentered the room, followed closely by Ike.

Emma smiled at the two, understanding now what Teaspoons idea must have been. She nodded approvingly.

The girl, so frightened, continued to seek a way out. She spun around, pressing against the corner of the wall as if she expected to be able to push her way through an imaginary doorway. 

Ike looked questioningly at Teaspoon and Emma.

“Go on,” Emma urged  “See if you can talk to her. Make her understand we won’t harm her.”

Ike looked hesitant.

“Go on boy,” Teaspoon urged as well.

Ike took in a deep breath and began walking slowly up to the girl.

She jerked back around, facing him. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she stared wildly at the boy with the baldhead standing in front of her. Her hands clenched into fists in an attempt to keep her them from shaking.

Ike’s heart went out to the girl. He had been where she was right now. Afraid, alone, unable to communicate with others. He wanted to help.

Don’t be afraid, he signed. The girls breathing stayed heavy. But her eyes fell on Ike's hands as they moved in sign as if she recognized the movements.

My name is Ike, he signed. The girl still looked confused.  No one’s going to hurt you.

The fear still apparent in the girl’s delicate features, she seemed to know what Ike was signing. Her muscles relaxed slightly and her fists started to unclench. Until the door opened again.  Her hands clenched tighter and she pressed her back up against the wall once more.

Ike turned to Buck for help and signed to him. I don’t think she understands.

Buck looked at the girl. A smile crossed his lips.

“Yes she does, Ike. She’s watching every move your hands make.”

Ike turned back to the girl and signed. Do you understand?  Still the girl only looked at him.

Buck cautiously walked up next to Ike. The girl looked inquisitively at him. He was like her, his Indian heritage apparent.

I am Running Buck, he signed. I’m the one who found you and brought you here.

The girl watched his hand movements carefully.

This is my friend Ike, Buck continued. The woman is Emma. This one, he pointed at Teaspoon, is Teaspoon. We want to help you, not hurt you.

"Will you trust us?" Buck asked in sign as he spoke the words aloud so that the others would know what he was saying.

The girls breathing began to slow, her fists relaxed. Her eyes moved, looking at each of them, then back to Buck. Slowly she nodded.

Buck smiled at her. Ike looked back to Teaspoon and Emma and grinned as both of them stood looking on. 

What is your name? he asked.

 The girl looked hesitant. Her instincts told her she could trust these people. Still, never being around other people much made her afraid.

Emma and Teaspoon held their breath hoping the girl would answer Buck. A sigh of relief escaped them both when the girl slowly moved her hands and signed to him.

Buck smiled at her and cast a glance of achievement to Ike before he turned to Emma and Teaspoon.

“She says her name is Two Springs,” he told them.

“Oh Thank Heavens!” Emma exclaimed, relief coming through in her tone. “We have a way to communicate with her.”

“Ask her about her family. Someone we can contact for her,” Teaspoon told Buck.

Buck signed Teaspoons questions.  Two Springs looked at the ground, sadness seeming to hover over her as she signed shyly.

“I have no family,” Buck interpreted.

“Well,” Emma began as she moved to start cleaning up the overturned food tray and gather the spilled food.  “These questions can wait. You tell her I’ll bring her some more food in a jiffy. She needs to get back into bed and rest.”

Buck signed what Emma had said.  The girl still felt exhausted and fearful but the terror that had gripped her so forcefully was gone. Yet she was hesitant.

It’s all right, he signed.  No one's going to hurt you. You must rest and eat.  He held out his hand to her.

Two Springs glanced at the people in the room. The boy with no hair seemed shy. His eyes held gentleness about him. The woman seemed sincere and friendly. The older man; he frightened her. His gruff looks gave her the feeling she should be cautious around him, even thought the others seemed to trust him without hesitation.

And the one called Running Buck. Two Springs felt an instant bond with him. She knew in her heart she could trust him. She saw it in his eyes; he would be her friend.

Slowly she lifted her hand, reaching out to take the one Buck held out to her,  when suddenly she felt lightheaded and the room began to spin. She grabbed for the wall to steady herself when two strong hands took hold of her. Buck and Ike, seeing her pale and stumble, both grabbed hold of her and helped her to the bed. Emma covered her with blankets.

“You rest now, honey. I’ll get you some food and we’ll have your strength back in no time at all.”

“C’mon boys,” Teaspoon smiled. “Let’s let the girl rest. I think Emma can take it from here. Ya done good boys, ya done good.”

Ike and Buck followed Teaspoon out of the room.  Emma cast a smile to the girl and followed the men out of the room.
 

Part Four

Two Springs stood looking out of the bedroom window.  She watched curiously as a young man raced into the yard on horseback and threw a satchel to another man who waited astride his own mount.  As soon as the second man had the pouch in hand, he spurred his animal and charged off.

Buck had told her on one of his recent visits about the Pony Express, how it carried the white mans words from town to town. Still Spring did not understand. She had never learned to read or write the white eyes words. It was all very strange to her.

She stood gazing out the window as she saw the other pony express riders going about their daily duties. She’d been standing at this window for hours now, wondering what it would be like to go out into the warm sunlight once again and feel the fresh clean air engulf her. But she felt safe here in this room away from the white eyes that had taken her in. Though she felt grateful for their generosity and care, she was still afraid. She had never been around many people before. The only white men she had encountered had been hard; cold hearted men who killed for animal skins or just for the sake of killing.

But the men she had met so far here at this place did not seem so horrible; Buck, the half Kiowa, the least threatening of all. He had come to visit her several times in the last two days since he had brought her here. He told her about the ones who lived here. He called them friend. She trusted this man. He was like her; a half-breed, but he had come to terms with his white half and learned to live among the whites. Yes there had been problems. But he had dealt with them and continued to do so. He had urged her to give them a chance. 

Then there was the other one. Buck’s friend, Ike.  She wondered why the boy had no hair. She had asked Buck. He’d told her Ike had been sick when he was a child; it had caused his baldness and his loss of speech. Unlike her. She had been born without the ability to hear or speak. Still, she felt she could trust Ike. His clear blue eyes held such a gentleness; his shy smile warmed her heart. She felt a kinship with him, both being unable to speak. It was a good feeling to find in this strange place, two such people she shared things in common with such as Ike and Buck. She felt safe with them. 

She smiled to herself, remembering when Ike had come to see her yesterday. He had brought her a flower and told her, very shyly, that he hoped she was feeling better. Then he had left. She wished he had stayed longer.

A light tap on her shoulder startled her from her thoughts and she jerked around to see Emma standing behind her holding something over her arm and smiling pleasantly. Though the woman had shown her nothing but kindness, Two Springs eyed her cautiously.

“I thought you might like to join us downstairs for supper this evening instead of eating alone again.” Emma held up a light tan skirt and a cream colored blouse.  “I brought you some clean clothes.“

Two Springs eyed the clothing, then looked at Emma, confused.  Emma let out a sympathetic sigh as she spoke.

“I wish I could communicate with you.” 

She did her best to try and relay to the girl that she wanted her to put on the clean clothes she had brought.  Finally, Two Springs understood when Emma pointed to her clothes and then the ones she held and then to Spring.

Two Springs carefully took the garments from the woman and Emma turned her back, giving her more privacy to change.

Spring slipped off the nightdress she had been wearing and let it slip to the floor, then replaced it with the skirt and blouse Emma had given her. She had no problem with the skirt but was confused as to how to fasten the blouse closed; there were no laces to tie? She tapped Emma on the back lightly.

Emma turned and smiled, somewhat amused by the girl’s very unraveled expression as she continued to try to figure out how to fasten the blouse.

“Here,” Emma said reaching over to help button the shirt for the girl. “Let me show you.”

Two Springs watched as Emma buttoned the blouse and tucked the shirt in the waistband of the skirt for her. She felt strange in these clothes but made no fuss about wearing them.

“There,” Emma said standing back to inspect her handy work.  “Just one more thing.” She walked over to the dressing table and retrieved a hairbrush, then returned to Two Springs. She made the motion with the brush over her own hair, then pointed it toward the girls.

Two Springs only looked at her.

Emma slowly took the brush and began to stroke the girls’ hair with it. Spring flinched slightly, then stood still, enjoying the sensation of the brush as Emma gently feathered it through her long hair.

When Emma had finished, she turned the girl toward her and smiled. “You’re a very pretty young lady, Miss Spring.”  Then her eyes fell on something she hadn’t noticed before.  Around Two Springs neck hung a very different sort of necklace.  Funny she hadn’t noticed it before now. It was a simple thin leather strip adorned with different colored beads, with a small cameo in the center.

Emma reached up to touch the cameo. ”How beautiful,” she remarked.

Two Springs clutched the object protectively and took a step back, glaring at Emma warningly.

Realizing she’d unintentionally caused the girl some mistrust, Emma tried to show her she’d meant no harm. 

“Come on,” she smiled and held out a friendly hand to the girl. “Let’s go down for supper.”

Carefully Emma took the shy young girl by the hand and led her out of the room.

Two Springs followed hesitantly as Emma led her out of the door.  She very much wanted to get out of this room for a while. But was still frightened to leave the security it offered.  She wished Buck were here. She would feel safer if he or Ike were with her. 

As Emma and Two Springs came down the stairs, all eyes turned toward them. Two Springs stopped abruptly. Fear griped her. It was apparent as she pulled her hand free from Emma and stood cemented in her spot.  Her eyes darted about the room, not wanting to make eye contact with anyone and trying to decide if she should sprint back to the security of her room.

“Gentlemen,” Emma began with a wide smile. “This is Two Springs. She’ll be our guest for a while.”

Instantly seeing the fear in Two Springs eyes, Buck immediately went to her side. 

They are friends, he signed.  Don’t be afraid.   He held out his arm in a gesture for her to take it. She looked at him as if she didn’t understand what it was he wanted her to do. He took her hand and put it under his elbow, then led her the rest of the way done the steps until they were stopped at the bottom step as Teaspoon sauntered up to them. Grinning sheepishly, he held out his arm to the young girl.

“May I escort you to the table, miss?” he asked, joyfully holding out his arm.

Two Springs took a step behind Buck. Though Teaspoon seemed friendly enough, she was still afraid of him.

Lou, Emma and the rest of the boys suppressed chuckles at Teaspoons obvious disappointment. Except for Cody who confidently boasted, “I don’t think she likes you Teaspoon.”  Then he strolled like a peacock past Teaspoon, who flashed the over confident young man an annoyed glance. 

Cody held out his arm to the girl standing warily beside Buck and smiled widely. “Allow me, miss.”

Two Springs took another step behind Buck and gripped his arm with her other hand.

Every one in the room nearly broke out in laughter.

“Looks like she don’t like you either, Cody,” Jimmy snickered.

Cody flashed him an unamused glare and returned to his seat at the table.

“Now, Now,” Emma scolded as she made her way down the stairs and stood next to Two Springs and Buck.

“You boys just keep your distance. She’s awful shy and she ain’t use to us yet.”

Her warning fell on deaf ears for Ike who had already stood and approached Two Springs and held out his arm to her, flashing her a shy smile. Two Springs looked at him, then to Buck as if asking his permission.  Buck gave her an approving nod and she awkwardly took Ike's arm with her other hand.
Buck and Ike both sported a smug grin as they escorted Spring to the table.

Buck seated her at the end of the table next to where Emma would sit and took his place next to her, while Ike sat across from her.

Lou and Kid shared an amused grin and Kid couldn’t resist the chance to throw out his own digs.  “Looks to me only ones she does like is Buck and Ike,” Kid teased. Lou elbowed him as she hid a giggle.

“Now all of you just hush,” Emma reprimanded. “Buck and Ike are the only ones that can communicate with her.” She put a comforting hand on Two Springs shoulders, taking a motherly stance. She could sense the girl was uncomfortable and nervous.  “Now I want you all to be patient and very careful when you’re around her. She’s a might skittish. Just how would you feel if you couldn’t hear anything that was being said around ya?”

The room fell silent. 

"Emma’s right, y’all mind what she says now,” Teaspoon added, though he had himself found it difficult to keep his eyes from the girl, or rather the unique necklace hanging around her neck.

Pulling himself from a distant memory as he gazed at the necklace, he spoke to Buck.

“You tell her we all apologize if we did anything to scare her or make her uncomfortable.”

Buck did as Teaspoon said.

Two Springs only glanced at Teaspoon, then lowered her eyes on the table in front of her.

All through dinner Teaspoon kept glancing at the necklace. He wanted a closer look at it but the girl wouldn’t let him get close enough for him to see. Even more than she herself reminded him of someone from his past, the necklace did even more. He needed to see it up close to be sure.

Dinner finished, Emma began cleaning up. Teaspoon retired outside to a chair on the porch and lit a cigar, while the others either sat just relaxing outside near him or, like Jimmy and Cody, set up a table and checker board settling in for a competitive game.

Ike shyly walked up as Buck stood just outside the door with Two Springs and signed to her.

Would you like to go for a walk? I could show you around before the sun sets?

Once more Two Springs looked to Buck for approval.

Go on, he signed.  I have some chores to do.  You’ll be safe with Ike.

Two Springs looked back to Ike and gave him a small bashful smile and a short nod.

Teaspoon watched as Ike escorted Two Springs away.  “Buck,” he called out, as Buck started walking past him.

Buck turned when he heard Teaspoon call out his name.

“She ever tell you anything about herself? Where she’s from? Where her family might be? Maybe...” he hesitated.  “Who her mother might be?”

“No.” Buck shook his head. “All she told me is she was alone.”

“Well, find out would ya?” he asked “Maybe someone someplace is wonderin’ where she is. She’s gotta have someone,” Teaspoon finished.

“Maybe she don’t want to go back,” Lou piped up. “She was purty beat up when Buck brought her in,” she finished. 

“Could be she’s too scared to go back,” Kid chimed in. ”I mean if someone’s beat up on her and all.”

“We still gotta know,” Teaspoon told them. “If we’re gonna help, it’s best we know all the facts.”
 

Part Five

Teaspoon leaned back in his chair. He watched as Ike led Two Springs toward the corral. Something gnawed at him. A memory from his past years ago. The memory of a young Pawnee girl with raven black hair and the most beautiful dark eyes he had ever seen. Her petite build and quiet yet proud demeanor had entranced him. He remembered walking with her as Ike and Two Springs were walking right now, near the place where the village kept their horses. He could still see her beautiful face shining in the moonlight. Her smile as she looked up at him. Sadness flooded over his heart. He hadn’t thought of his lost love in years. Not like this. It was as if he was reliving everything again.   He could see her waving to him as he rode out of the Village heading for the trading post to sell his furs, her stomach barely swollen as their child grew inside of her.

“Mr. Spoon?” came Emma’s gentle voice from beside him.  He looked up at her, somewhat startled at being torn from his memories so quickly.

“Is something wrong?” she asked with concern.

“No, no, not at all Emma,” Teaspoon lied.

“You looked like you were a million miles away,” she told him. “You looked as if something was bothering you?”

Teaspoon sighed. “Just thinkin'. Wonderin who it was that hurt that girl and why. Why she was out there in the middle of nowhere alone.”

“Questions I’m sure we are all wondering, Mr. Spoon,” Emma agreed, taking a seat in the near by empty chair, as she gazed out toward the corral at Ike and Two Springs while they looked at the horses. “I’m sure we will have the answers soon. She’s beginning to trust, I think. And that’s the important part right now. She needs to be able to trust us before she is going to tell us anything.”  Teaspoon nodded his agreement.
 

Part Six

One week later-------

Two Springs sat in the sweet smelling new straw at the front of the barn as she watched Buck cleaning out the other stalls. She ran her fingers threw the prickly fibers, picking up a handful and letting it slip slowly through her fingers. She smiled to herself. She was beginning to like it here. She wanted to stay. It was peaceful and serene, much different from where she had come from. A dirty shack high in the mountains. A place where she had known only fear and sadness. Here she had friends. People who knew kindness and caring. She hadn’t been here long but she could already feel the warmth of this place, the friendships that abound within the people who dwelled here.  Though her shyness and doubt kept her distant from most of them, she felt safe with Buck. He had become her mentor, her protector and her friend, something she had never known. 

Two Springs looked up as Buck sat down beside her.   I need a rest, he signed and smiled. Two Springs shyly returned his smile.

Two Springs necklace caught Buck’s eye seemingly for the first time. He reached out to touch the object when Spring’s hand shot up instinctively to protect the treasured trinket.

He looked at her curiously. “It’s very pretty,” he signed.

Two Springs eyes fell to the ground, ashamed she had been so fearful of Buck wanting to look at her necklace. Then she looked up at him and signed.

It was my mothers.

Where is your mother? he asked her.

Dead, Spring answered sadly.

I’m sorry. Buck sympathized.  What happened?

For a few moments Spring signed nothing. She only looked at the ground. Then she looked up at him and with sadness in her eyes she signed to him.

He killed her.

Buck looked at her, concerned.  Who killed her? 

Fear flushed Two Springs face and she looked away. Buck reached up and gently turned her to face him again and signed.

Two Springs. You trust me, don’t you? 

The girl slowly nodded.

Then tell me what happened. Who killed your mother? I can’t help if you won’t tell me. 

Two Springs hesitated then began to sign to Buck her story.

The man who owned us. 

Is he the one who hurt you? Buck asked.

Two Springs nodded and continued to sign.

My mother was taken from her village while she still carried me in her womb. The Crow attacked her village and stole some of the young women. She gave birth to me in the village of the Crow. But they said I was bad medicine. Cursed by evil spirits because I could not hear or speak. They blamed it on my white blood. When I was only a small child they sold my mother and me to a white man, a trapper. He beat my mother. He would beat me. One day he hit her and she fell; she hit her head on the table and she did not get up again. Then later, one night he came to me.   Tears began to flow from her eyes as she continued with her story.  He attacked me--- the way he did my mother.   She paused for a moment as she wiped away tears. Then she continued with her story.

I fell next to the fireplace. I picked up the iron rod used to stir the fire… I hit him, and he fell.  I did not wait to see if he was dead. I ran. I ran as far away as I could. Many days I ran. I would sleep only if I could find a hiding place in caves or until I could not run any more. Then the cold came and the wind and I did not care anymore. Then I woke up here.

Please do not make me go back, Buck. Let me stay here, please. I can do things,  she begged.  I can help clean, I can help cook, I can…. 

Buck took hold of her hands and held them still a moment until he let go and signed to her.  No one is going to make you go back, Two Springs. You are safe here. I promise. 

He took her in his arms and hugged her reassuringly, saying aloud, though he knew she couldn’t hear him, “I won’t let anyone hurt you.”

When they had parted Buck signed another question.

Two Springs. What about your father? Do you know who he is? 

Spring shook her head. 

All I know of him is he gave my mother this necklace.  She touched the trinket around her neck.  My mother said he was a kind and gentle man. He had made this for her. But she did not know what had happened to him. 

Just then, Ike walked threw the barn doors leading his horse behind him. He had just returned from a mail run. He stopped as he saw Buck and Two Springs sitting just in front of one of the cleaned stalls. His eyes glared at Buck. 

Buck suppressed a smile as he read the jealousy that was written in those eyes that glared daggers at him right now.

Spring looked up at Ike.  Her eyes seemed to smile as she met his. Ike’s look softened. 

Buck stood, and helped Two Springs up as well. Ike continued to lead his horse to a stall and began to unsaddle him.

About that time, Teaspoon entered through the barn door.

“Emma says you best get washed up for supper,” he said as he walked in. 

Startled at his sudden appearance Two Springs darted behind Buck.  Wanting to tell Teaspoon about what he had found out from Spring, Buck signed to her what Teaspoon had said when he walked in. He insisted she go on in and he would be along as soon as he finished up some things in the barn.

Sparing a quick glance back to see if Ike would also be coming and seeing he was now brushing his horse down, Spring cautiously slipped past Teaspoon and went to the house.

Teaspoon’s eyes followed her. The nagging feeling that he should know the young girl gnawed at him more and more every time he saw her. And the necklace only intensified his feelings.
 
“I found some things out,” Buck spoke up, breaking Teaspoon’s reverie and getting Ike’s attention as well. Ike stopped brushing his horse and moved closer to Buck and Teaspoon, as Buck revealed his conversation with Spring to them.

Teaspoon paled when Buck told him what Two Springs had said to him about her father giving her mother the necklace she wore. 

“Did, did she tell you her mothers name?” Teaspoon stuttered quietly.  His grey-green eyes held a faraway gaze. 

Buck looked at him with concern. “No, she didn’t tell me her name… Teaspoon, you alright?”

Teaspoon pulled himself from his shock enough to answer.

“Ya, I’m fine, boy. You, you and Ike go on in and wash up. Emma’s waitin. I’ll be along directly.”

Buck and Ike both obeyed reluctantly.

“Buck,” Teaspoon spoke up before the boys had a chance to exit the barn. They stopped. 

“I need to know her mothers name,” Teaspoon told him.

“Okay Teaspoon. I’ll find out,” Buck assured him curiously then went on his way toward the house. Ike looked at him questioningly and Buck shrugged. 

************************

Teaspoon sat on his bed and leaned back against the wall, lost in his thoughts. He had barely touched his supper tonight, his hunger drowned out by the new revelations Buck had discovered from the wayward girl. He could barely keep his eyes from her, taking in every detail he could see. For the first time, he noticed the color of her eyes.  They were the color of his, a grey/green. 

“What ifs” swam through his mind. What if her mother was Bright Water? Was she the baby his Pawnee wife was carrying when she disappeared all those years ago? And if so, more importantly right now, was she his daughter? 

The necklace, he knew that necklace. It was the same one he gave to his Pawnee wife twenty years ago. He knew it was. He needed to see it up close and he needed to know the girls mothers name, to be sure. And he needed to know soon. It was driving him insane. Not knowing. Seeing the girl who mirrored his lost wife in so many ways. The way she walked, the way she smiled so shyly. The shape of her face. Little gestures she made with her hands. And the way she… the way she looked at Ike. The same way Bright Water had looked at him when they had first met.

He could still see her face after all these years. And he had never felt a love as special as the one he and Bright Water had shared.

Teaspoon finally lay down in his bed, pulling a blanket over him as he tried to make himself sleep. Tomorrow, tomorrow he would find out. One way or another he had to know.
 

Part Seven

Two Springs stood at the corral with Emma.

Lou sat on top of the fencing, while Kid stood near her.  Cody and Buck were inside the corral holding the wild and untamed horse while Ike prepared to mount. Jimmy had left on his mail run.  Buck had explained to Spring that what they were doing was breaking the horses to be able to ride them or sell them. Two Springs had seen the Crow men break horses. But this was so different. Buck had agreed that he too thought the Indian way was better. Then again this was much more fun. 

Buck had taken his turn at bronc busting. Two Springs had worried that he had been hurt when he was thrown. But then she had also giggled when he had landed in the horse trough. 

She watched Ike mount the horse, then Buck and Cody both jumped away as they let the horse go. It bucked and jumped with all its might yet could not shake Ike from its back. Wildly the animal bucked and jolted as it ran around the length of the corral until with one great leap it threw Ike from its back. Ike landed with a thud and the horse kept bucking, barely missing him with its front hoof as it reared and landed on all fours next to Ike. Ike rolled out of the way, then scrambled to his feet, grabbing his arm in pain.  Lou and Kid both jumped over the fence and into the corral, helping to capture the wild horse while Buck and Cody helped the injured Ike out of harms way.

Two Springs ran behind Emma as Ike was brought out of the corral. The women followed the boys to the porch where Ike sat in the swing and Emma began to examine his injured arm.

Spring stood worriedly as she watched Emma tend to Ike.

“Well, it ain’t broke,” Emma told them. “You’ll heal. Might be sore a while is all. Ya got a pretty nasty bruise.”

Spring grabbed Bucks arm and motioned anxiously for him to tell her what was going on. He smiled at her concern for his friend. He signed to her what Emma had said but Spring was not convinced. She looked at Ike with deep concern.

Emma turned toward Spring and laid a comforting hand on her shoulder and smiled. Then with a wink in Ike’s direction she teased before she walked away. “I think she likes you ,Ike.” With that Emma went into the house.

Cody grinned and smacked Ike on the back sending a jolt of pain through Ike’s bruised arm. Ike flashed him an irritated glare.

Cody just smiled broadly. “I think she likes you too Ike,” he goaded as he walked back toward the corral. He met Kid and Lou as they came rushing up.

“Ike alright?” Lou asked.

“Ya he’s fine,” Cody answered. “Just bruised his arm some. But if I was him I’d milk it for as long as I could. Specially if that little filly was worryin' about me the way she looks to be frettin’ over him.”   He laughed. Kid and Lou both smiled, glancing back at the porch then turning to follow Cody back to the corral.

Buck gave Ike a wink as he turned and started back toward the corral, leaving the two alone on the porch.  He too had seen the attraction blossoming between Ike and Two Springs since her arrival. It made him smile. It was a good match. They were perfect for each other. 

Does it hurt?  Spring signed to Ike.

Ike, seeing the deep concern on her face, was not going to let a chance to have Springs attention focused solely on him pass by.  A little,  he signed to her. 

Spring sat next to him on the porch swing. You should have a sling for it. 

Ike shrugged.  I can make one, she offered and before Ike could decline Two Springs was out of the swing and into the house. With in a few minutes she returned with one of Emma’s towels that she used to dry her dishes. She sat down next to him again and carefully shaped the towel into a triangle, then shyly leaned closer and fastened it around Ike’s neck, then helped him put his arm through it.

Nervously he signed to her.  Thank you.

She gave him a shy smile and a short nod.
 

That Night---------

Supper over with, Two Springs helped Emma with the dishes. She was becoming more at ease around the woman and seemed to enjoy being able to help her out with her daily chores.

Teaspoon had retired to his chair out side as he usually did after the evening meal and lit a cigar.  Cody, Lou, Kid and Buck joined Teaspoon outside, while Ike hung back inside helping Spring clear the table.

“You do what I asked you to yet, Buck?” Teaspoon looked at the boy.

Buck shook his head. 

“Do it now.” Teaspoons request sounded more like an order.

“Ike!” Teaspoon called out. ”Bring Two Springs out here.”

Ike looked at Emma who also noticed the peculiar stern tone in Teaspoons voice.  Emma nodded for him to do as Teaspoon said.

Ike touched Spring on the arm and signed to her that they were wanted outside. Hesitantly, Spring followed Ike out to the porch.

Teaspoon stood, then looked at Spring. He eyed her necklace and reached over to touch it. As she had done with everyone else, Spring instinctively backed away clutching her treasured necklace. Frightened, she glared at Teaspoon as she pressed her back closer to Ike, who was standing behind her. He put his hands on her shoulders trying to comfort her and reassure her she was in no danger.

“Tell her to let me look at it, Buck. I’ll give it back. I promise.” His tone was almost a soft plea. “I need to see that necklace… think I know who made it.”

Buck signed Teaspoons request.  I promise you will get it back, he put in on his own.

Spring looked at Teaspoon questioningly, then cautiously she reached back and slipped the sacred treasure from her neck.  She glanced at Buck as if asking him if he were sure he would get it back for her. He gave her an approving nod. Two Springs carefully and slowly handed her necklace to Teaspoon, who took it from her with as much caution and care.

He examined the necklace next to the oil lamp that sat in the porch rail. He did recognize it. It was the same one; he knew by the scratch at the back of the cameo where he had tried to etch his name on it. This Cameo had been his mothers. He looked back to Buck.

“Ask her mothers name,” he solemnly told him.

Buck looked confused, but no more than anyone else was at the moment.

Buck signed Teaspoons question.

Two Springs held a look of total bewilderment. She looked to Buck for an explanation.

“Ask her if her mother was Bright Water, daughter of Chief Red Hawk of the Pawnee,” Teaspoon asked in a low tone, his eyes still fixed on the necklace that he held in his hand.

Buck did so.

Two Springs looked confused. How would this man know her mother’s name and that of her grandfather? She signed her answer to Buck.

“Yes,” Buck told Teaspoon. “That is her mother.”

Teaspoon let a heavy sigh escape him. He slowly looked at the young girl standing in front of Ike and handed the necklace back to her.  She took it and replaced it around her neck.

Teaspoon, without a word to anyone, walked off into the dusk of night.

“Now what the heck was that all about?” Cody exclaimed.

“I have no idea,” Emma, who had been standing in the doorway watching everything, spoke up. “But I tell you one thing. I’m gonna find out.”  With that, she strolled off after her employer and her friend, leaving the others standing there confused.

“Mr. Spoon?” Emma spoke softly as she came up behind him. “Mind telling me what that was all about?”

Teaspoon didn’t look at her. He only stared out into the falling darkness. Feeling that he needed to confide in someone, though, Teaspoon lowered his head and then looked up again. “I think she’s my daughter, Emma.”

Emma’s eyes widened in shock. “What?” she asked, thinking she had not heard him correctly.

“Twenty years ago,” Teaspoon began, “I spent some time with the Pawnee. Did some trappin’. I met a young girl there. She couldn’t a been much older than Two Springs is right now.  I fell in love with that girl from the moment I laid eyes on her. I asked her pa for her hand. Paid plenty for her, all my furs and a couple horse.”  He chuckled, remembering how Bright Water’s father had tricked him into giving all his possessions up. He had intended on saying yes no matter what. But Teaspoon didn’t know that until later.

“I made that necklace for her, and on our weddin’ day I gave it to her. She never took it off. A few months later she told me she was carrying our child. I ain’t never been as happy as I was then.”  His voice trailed off as memories flooded in on him.

“About four, maybe five months later I left to do some tradin’ and sell some furs. Ended up at a saloon and getting into a fight. Spent some time in jail. It was about two, maybe three weeks later when I finally got back to the village. When I got there I found out they’d been attacked by a band of Crows. The men had been out huntin’.  Left the village pretty much defenseless. The ones they didn’t kill or leave for dead they took as captives. Bright Water was gone. I searched everywhere. But I never did find her. Never knew if she was alive or dead.”

Emma listened intently, finally understanding what must have been bothering Teaspoon all this time. After hearing Two Springs story about her mothers death, and now this, Emma began to put two and two together.

“You think this girl is the baby your wife was carrying?”

Teaspoon turned and faced Emma. “I believe she could be. She is the spittin' image of her mother. Except for one thing. Her eyes.  She’s got my eyes.”
 

Part Eight

Three days more passed. Teaspoon kept his suspicions to himself, all the while keeping a watchful eye on the girl he now believed could be his own flesh and blood. 

Two Springs became even more nervous around the older man. She could feel his eyes on her with every move she made and it frightened her, yet she didn’t know why.  She did her best to stay as far away from him as she could, but it seemed everywhere she turned he was there, watching her. 

Curiosity burned in the others. They had never seen Teaspoon as quiet and withdrawn as he had been the past few weeks and even more so the last three days. His attentions toward the girl made them even more inquisitive and Buck and Ike more protective of her. 

One afternoon Two Springs stood at the corral. She had brought an apple out for a certain brown and white paint horse she had become quite taken with. She held the apple out, enticing the animal to come closer. He whinnied and cautiously walked up to the corral fence. Two Springs held the fruit out and opened her hand so that it sat in her palm. Steadily, the still untamed guilding began to nibble at the apple in the girls hand until he took it from her and finished chomping on it.  Two Springs smiled as she watched the horse enjoy the treat she had given him. Slowly she reached out her hand to try to stroke the animals head.  Startled it through back its head and whinnied as he reared, then ran to the other side of the corral.

Two Springs jumped as a strong hand touched her arm at the same time. She whirled around to see Teaspoon standing in front of her.  She backed away from him slowly until she felt her back against the corral. She could see the mans lips moving but she heard nothing.

“It’s alright,” Teaspoon was saying softly. “I ain’t gonna hurt you.” He smiled at her but the girl still looked frightened. 

Teaspoon wished he knew how to use that Indian sign. He knew some of the Pawnee language but had never learned to use sign. Still, he tried to communicate.

“You like the horse?” he asked as he pointed to the one Two Springs had just fed the apple to.  Spring kept her eyes fixed on him. Carefully she began to move away, not knowing what he was saying or what it was he wanted from her. She side stepped until she was a few steps from him, then bolted for the house, leaving Teaspoon standing at the corral looking on in disappointment.

Spring was running so fast and kept looking behind her to see if the man was following her that she didn’t see Buck and ran smack into him as he came from around the house with an armload of wood for Emma. The wood tumbled out of his arms and Spring nearly tripped over it. Buck caught her before she could fall, grabbing her by the arms. 

Two Springs frantically looked up, her eyes masked in fear until she realized it was Buck who held her. She fell against his chest comforted by his presence. Her rapid breathing slowed and she clung to him.   For a moment Buck only held her. Then, confused as to what had frightened her, he gently pulled from the embrace and signed, asking her what was the matter. Two Springs looked toward the corral. Teaspoon was walking up to them. Spring stepped behind Buck as he approached. Buck stood protectively in front of her.

“What’d you do to her, Teaspoon?” Buck asked with a tone of anger lacing his voice.

“I didn’t do nothin’,” Teaspoon answered with annoyance at Buck’s harshness. “I was tryin’ to be friendly. I’d like to get to know the girl.”

Buck looked irritated and his tone became protective.

“She ain’t exactly your type, Teaspoon,” he sneered. 

Teaspoon’s eyes flared with anger. ”You watch your tongue, boy,” he warned.

“Why you so interested in her anyhow? You been actin’ funny ever since she got here,” Buck kept on, unshaken by Teaspoon’s warning tone. “Just what the heck’s been botherin’ you anyhow?”

Ike and Lou, hearing the raised voices outside, came from inside the house with Emma on their heals and gathered near the two men. 

Ike immediately went to Buck’s side. He glanced at Spring, who stood behind Buck her face still masked in fear and confusion. He comfortingly touched her arm, letting her know he was there for her. She only glanced back at him for a moment, but was relieved he was close by.

“It ain’t none of your business,” Teaspoon growled.

“It is my business!” Buck snarled back. “You scare the hell out of her. I wanna know why! Why’s she so afraid of you?” 

“Who made you her guardian?” Teaspoon asked, anger still burning in him at Buck’s defiance. 

By now Jimmy and Cody had joined the group watching the confrontation between Buck and Teaspoon. Emma had heard enough and stepped in before the argument got any worse.

“Tell ‘em, Mr. Spoon,” she ordered, stepping between the two and facing Teaspoon. “Tell ‘em and maybe you can settle this and get it off your chest before it eats you up inside.” 

“Tell us what?” Cody piped up.

Emma glanced at Cody then back to Teaspoon. “You tell ‘em or I will,” she warned.

Teaspoon looked around at the confused and concerned faces of the young pony express riders who not only were in his employ and care, but had also become his friends. Shame fell over him. He knew he should confide in them. His actions of late had been less than friendly. And Buck was only being protective of the girl who was alone in the company of strangers. 

He looked over to the girl who stood behind the only person she felt really safe with. His heart sank. He wanted desperately to reach out to her. To be able to talk with her, ease her fear of him and tell her he believed he was her father. To ask her questions that hopefully she would be able to answer, and finally ease his tormented soul of the pain of loosing both her mother and his child.

Without taking his eyes from the frightened girl, his anger eased and he spoke softly. “She’s my daughter,” he said, letting a heavy sigh escape him.

Eyes widened in shock as the group looked at Teaspoon.

“Daughter?!” Cody blurted out in surprise. He was rewarded with an elbow in his ribs by Jimmy who silently chastised him and warned him to hush with a stern glare.

Emma smiled at Teaspoon and put a reassuring and comforting hand on his arm, then nodded her urging to tell them the rest.

When Teaspoon had finished his story, Buck looked at him.

“I’m sorry, Teaspoon,” he apologized   “I was only…”

“I know, Buck,” Teaspoon cut him off before he could finish. ”I’m sorry too. I shoulda told ya, ‘specially since you and Ike are the only ones who can communicate with her. I just got so many questions, so many things I wanna say to her and I don’t know how.”

Emma motioned for the others to quietly follow her back into the house. “Ike, why don’t you ask Two Springs to come and help me in the kitchen for a bit.”

Ike nodded, understanding Emma’s reasoning to take Two Springs away from what was surely an uncomfortable situation, even if she could not hear what was being said.

Spring was hesitant until Buck signed to her to go on, everything was all right and there would be no trouble.  Though she had not heard the words that had been said, she had still seen and felt the animosity between the two.

Teaspoon watched as Ike led Two Springs into the house. Then he looked at Buck.

“I need your help, Buck. I need to know. I need to talk to her. Will you help me?” Teaspoon almost pleaded.

Buck smiled. “All you had to do was ask, Teaspoon.”

Teaspoon breathed a heavy sigh. “Now that I have her scared to death of me, what do I do next?” he asked disheartedly.

“I think she should know, and the sooner the better,” Buck answered.

Teaspoon nodded his agreement.   Buck gave Teaspoon a reassuring smile and went into the house to retrieve Two Springs.

When he returned Teaspoon was standing at the corral watching the horse Spring had fed the apple to. It stood on the other side of the corral and seemed to be looking back at him as well. Teaspoon could not help but feel the distance between he and the horse. Like the distance he felt with the girl who he was sure was his daughter, he could sense the uneasiness and see it in the animal’s eyes. The same fear and distrust he knew was in his daughters heart right now. Somehow, he had to make her understand that all he wanted was to know her. To know what happened to her mother and to explain the reason he had not been there for either of them all these years. And in some way try to make it up to her.

 Buck held Springs hand as he led her toward Teaspoon. She stopped and tried to pull free, looking at him with fear and confusion.

It’s alright, he signed, he won’t hurt you. There are things you must know – things only Teaspoon can tell you. I won’t leave you. I promise.

Spring looked at Buck, the fear still apparent in her eyes, but she did not resist as he squeezed her hand in a comforting gesture and continued toward Teaspoon.

Teaspoon turned slowly to face them as the two walked up beside him. For a moment he only gazed at Two Springs. Then he spoke in a soft and gentle voice.

“You look so much like your mother,” he said 

Buck signed Teaspoon’s words to Spring, who stood quietly and cautiously next to Buck as she tried to control her fear. 

“Your mother, Bright Water, was my wife.” Teaspoon began.   “That necklace you wear, I made that for her.. I loved her with all my heart.” He continued telling her the story he had told the others. He paused as Buck signed what he was saying.

Two Springs heart began to pound as she began to realize what Teaspoon was trying to tell her.

“You are that child.” Teaspoon went on. “You’re my daughter, Two Springs.”

When Buck finished signing Teaspoons words, Spring looked at the man who claimed to be her father. Her features were masked in confusion and disbelief. She was at a loss as to what to do. She looked at Buck for help.

It’s true, he signed to her.

Spring looked away from both of them and slowly walked a few steps to the corral, looking out past it to the prairie. She gently clutched her necklace while visions of her mother telling her about her father ran through her mind.

Spring had never conceived the thought of ever seeing him. She had known only men who were hard and cold, who treated their Indian wives and children more like slaves than families they cared about. 

Her fear now centered on whether Teaspoon was like that. Would he claim her and treat her as a slave? Though all she had seen since she had arrived in this place was nowhere near the horrors she had witnessed with the man that had owned her mother and herself. But then the world of the white eyes was strange to her.   And what she had seen here so far was only friendship and caring. 

Buck walked up to her and put a comforting hand on her shoulder. Pulled from her thoughts, Spring turned and looked at him.

Give him a chance Two Springs. He is your father. He wants to know you. You have a home now, family.  Reach out for it, Two Springs. Give it a chance, give Teaspoon a chance, and give yourself a chance for a new life, a new beginning,  he signed.

Two Springs held her gaze on Buck for a moment before she turned to Teaspoon. 

Buck trusted this man. Ike trusted him, as did Emma and the other pony express riders. They all looked up to him for guidance and support. She trusted Buck; she trusted Ike and Emma. None of the others had shown her anything more than friendship.

She would try to trust this man, as they did. He had offered his hand to her. Revealed his secret and expressed the love he had had for her mother. Her mother had told her how she had cared so deeply for him long ago. She would try now to do the same. She would give this new life a chance, as Buck had asked.

A small, hesitant smile crossed her lips. Slowly she moved her hands and signed “Father”.

Buck smiled as he interpreted the word. Teaspoons eyes teared a bit as he reached out and carefully took Springs hand in his. She didn’t move away, though she flinched slightly. Teaspoon gently squeezed her hand as he smiled and swallowed the growing lump in his throat before he spoke.

“Neither of us are alone anymore.  We’re family.” 

THE END

Comments?  Email Cheyenne


 
 
.

.