.
.
 
 
If You Tell Ike a Secret
by Nell

Part Two of the "If You" Series

Written for TYR 2002 Tucson Fan Reunion

This fanfic and future TYR “If You Give...” stories are based on the children’s book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Joffe Numeroff.  No infringement was intentional.  This is strictly fan fiction and intended to be enjoyed as such.  If you haven’t read the story, go out and get it.  It’s darling!  And this story will make a little more sense too. 


If you tell Ike a secret about the daisy Sarah gave you, his lips are locked.

You’ll walk into the bunkhouse and discover his hand signs are not.

When Ike thinks of his hand signs, he’ll probably remember Buck teaching him how to communicate.

The thought of Buck will remind him of the day they became brothers.  The day they fought side-by-side after several intoxicated men harassed Buck’s half-breed heritage.

Surmising he’ll never get drunk after that experience, he’s persuaded by Jed to go to a saloon with the rest of the riders.

When he’s in the saloon, he’ll play a game of “Where’s the Pea?” and kick back a few “harmless” beers.  He’ll return home a swaggering drunk, with a red feather boa around his neck.

While sleeping off his inebriation, he’ll dream about a dance where he grows a donkey tail.  Upon waking, the donkey tail will remind him to feed Samson.  

He’ll show Samson to Amanda and ask her to see wild donkeys with him.  Instead, Amanda asks him to dance.  He’s relieved his dream did not come true and decides it is time to go home.

When the riders reach the bunkhouse they discover baby Missy on their doorstep.  Both being bald, Kid remarks that Missy and Ike resemble each other.

Missy will start to cry, so Ike’s natural knack of child tending kicks in.  Holding her, he realizes Missy needs a diaper change.  

So he’ll look for a clean cloth.  He’ll raise his eyes towards his head, but decides the use of his red bandanna is out of the question.  He’ll finally discover a clean cloth diaper in her baby basket.

When Ike finishes changing Missy, he’ll coddle her.  Baby Missy reminds him of his own desire to have a family.  He’ll remember Annie, the mail-order bride who almost lost her fiancé in a mine accident.  

Remembering Annie, he’ll search for the ring Lou gave him to ask Annie for her hand in marriage.  Pulling out the ring will make him question why Lou purchased such an item even if things worked out between her and the Kid.  Heck, he knew the girl had an independent spirit, but to buy her own wedding ring was beyond him. 

Looking at the ring, he’ll curse the Erskine Mine Company for ever existing.

When he thinks of the mine company, he’ll recollect the quack gold mine that Hap conned the riders into investing in last Christmas.  

Christmas reminds Ike of presents, so he’ll grab the latest dime store novel, “The Littlest Cowboy Rides Again” and deliver it to Arthur.

When returning from his ride, he sees Nickerson kill a wagon party in cold blood.  So he’ll shoot a scarecrow wishing it was Nickerson.  (Good thing it wasn’t a tree.)

But Nickerson’s murder spree won’t be kept secret for very long.  Because when Ike walks into the court room knowing your secret....chances are his lips are locked, but his hand signs are not.

The End

Check out Laura Numeroff’s new book in her series, If You Take a Mouse to School.

Comments?  Email Nell


 
 
.
.
.