.
.
 
Red Bear 
and Running Buck
by Sharon Rovansek
Chapter 1

Buck walked through the dusty streets of Rock Creek weaving his way through the crowd. Today the town seemed particularly loud to him and he tried his best to drown out the noise that so many people caused when they were all in one small place. When Buck was growing up in the Kiowa village, there had been little privacy. The other villagers knew exactly where everyone was at all times. It was really a matter of safety especially as more white men traveled west but it also had to do with the living conditions. Even at night, through the thin walls of the teepees, voices could be heard speaking and answering to each other. To Buck, the sound of the soft quiet voices had been soothing, providing him a measure of security. But this town, Rock Creek, was loud and bustling with jarring noises that never let him really rest. His mind sometimes grew tired of always being on guard against strangers and the trouble that came with them.

Buck had been doing an errand for Rachel at the general store when he noticed a small knot of people gathered around the newspaper that had been posted outside the printing office. Normally, Buck would have simply ignored the happenings, preferring to get his news from the other riders. Often, the newspaper spoke of things he would rather ignore. Today though was different. He could hear the angry shouts of some of the townspeople. He made his way over and pushed his way through the crowd, ignoring the dirty looks he received. Someone shouted, “It’s about time the dirty savages learned their lesson. Maybe you’ll be the next one!” When Buck finally made his way to the front, he read the paper and felt sick. He was going to throw up. 

With every bit of strength he had left, he stumbled toward the waystation. He climbed the steps and pushed the door opened. Buck stepped into the cool shade of the bunkhouse, immediately went to his bed and climbed in with the last bit of strength he had. Buck didn’t bother or have the energy to take off his jacket, boots or hat. He could feel the handle of his knife digging into his leg, as he lay curled up on his side.

That’s where Rachel and the other riders found him. They had seen him walk back from town with a glazed look on his face. His eyes were blank and he seemed not to hear them shout at him to come see the new filly. After exchanging glances, everyone filed in to see what had gone wrong. 

“Buck, honey, what’s the matter?” Rachel asked in her soothing voice. Buck didn’t answer. Instead, he covered his already closed eyes with his left hand and balled up his right fist and put it over his mouth. He wanted them all to leave him alone. He felt like he was separated from his body and he felt light-headed even though he was lying down. Buck knew that if he spoke, words would not come out but deep sickening screams so he just breathed deeper and shoved his knuckles further into his mouth.

“What is it, Rachel? Is Buck sick?” Lou asked. She had tentatively approached the bed and leaned over Rachel’s shoulder. Lou saw Rachel gently place her hand on Buck’s forehead but he flinched away. Cody, Jimmy, and Kid remained in the doorway, their bodies casting shadows along the floor.

“I don’t know, Lou.” Rachel turned around and looked at the three riders in the doorway. “You better get Teaspoon.”

“I’ll go,” Kid volunteered and he turned on his heels to go to the Marshall’s office. He had just climbed down the porch steps when he saw Teaspoon striding purposefully over to the waystation, a crumpled newspaper in his hand. Teaspoon looked grim so Kid thought he knew what happened.

“What is it, Teaspoon? Buck’s inside and he’s acting awfully bad. Like he’s sick or something.”

Teaspoon paused and looked at Kid. Instead of answering Kid directly, Teaspoon handed him the paper. Kid’s eyes grew wide as he read the article that was printed on the front page. There had been an attack on an Indian Village just twenty miles north of Rock Creek. The encounter that had started out as a small skirmish escalated over the course of eight days. Three tribes had joined together to repel the attack on their land and people. When the battle was finished, over two hundred Kiowa, Sioux and Osage had been killed in battle. Hundreds more had been captured and were en route to reservations and prison camps while several others were going to be hung in a show of force by the Army. According to the paper, it had been a brilliant victory for the Army because they had proved they could defeat several tribes at once. The editor of the paper went on to praise the Army and their courageousness in not only destroying three tribes but also in killing or capturing several notorious chiefs and braves. Kid swallowed hard as he got to the part listing the now dead warriors. Right there, toward the top of the list, was printed the name Buck had seen; Red Bear, Kiowa War Chief killed on the fifth day of battle. 
 

Chapter 2

Evening was rapidly approaching and the sky was beginning to turn a soft gray. Normally, Buck loved the evening and would sit on the porch or lean over the corral fence watching for the first stars of the night to shine. Not tonight though, this evening he was still in bed, not moving from when he had first crawled in that morning. The other riders had stayed away out of sympathy and Buck could hear them now, coming in for supper. He did not acknowledge them, preferring to still be alone in his grief.

Buck lay trembling on his bunk, memories flashing through his mind and like a wheel that couldn’t stop spinning they came grinding back. Some were happy memories that made him smile and even laugh. Red Bear had a way of making Buck feel so loved and wanted that Buck was irresistibly drawn to the older man. Red Bear had taught Buck how to hunt, patiently explaining the difference between various tracks until Buck could distinguish the mark and even the scent of every type of animal he would encounter. Red Bear had also been the first to braid a feather in Buck’s hair making him feel grown and important if even for just a little while. Buck had felt so proud as he sat in front of his brother feeling Red Bear’s fingers work on his hair and patting his back when he was done. 

He remembered when snow fell for five straight days covering the land in a deep blanket of fluffy snow. The rocky hills with their sharp outcropping of rocks had been made smooth and rolling. Buck remembered sliding down a hill with Red Bear’s legs wrapped protectively around him, a piece of leather underneath then to help them slide. Red Bear had at first refused, saying such behavior was not proper for one who was going to lead his people, but had finally given in because Buck had wanted him to. Buck could remember the wind on their faces and the feeling of flying over the land before coming to a sudden halt at the bottom of the hill. Red Bear had laughed and didn’t mind that Buck had tipped over causing them both to be covered in snow. The two had spent a better part of that day by themselves, playing and sliding in the snow. That had been a good day. Those memories were pleasant and Buck’s mind caressed them lingering over every small detail. 

Unfortunately, Buck could also remember the bad days. Once, Buck had wandered away from the village and when Red Bear had realized he was missing, he had been forced to call off a hunt to find him. Buck recalled that he had been trying to find a nest of eagles when he saw Red Bear and four warriors approach on horseback. Red Bear had been angry and refused to listen to Buck as he pulled him up on his horse by grabbing a handful of clothing and some hair. Buck further remembered Red Bear dragging him through the village and over to their teepee with the eyes of the village watching. He remembered how Red Bear had used his strength to humiliate Buck when he pushed him down to the ground and struck him several times for wandering away, being lazy and absent minded. The other braves had appreciated Red Bear for his swift and decisive punishment of the boy, but Buck had felt betrayed. Red Bear never said anything about the incident and it had taken Buck almost a month to feel comfortable with Red Bear again. 

That wasn’t the only time that Red Bear had physically punished Buck, but it was the worst. Usually, if Red Bear were going to punish Buck or even just lecture him, he would do it in private where Buck could retain some dignity. In Buck’s mind, his punishment was undeserved and only gave the other boys in the tribe more reason to taunt him. As a result, Buck spent more time alone and drew deeper into himself despite Red Bear’s eventual efforts to get him to socialize with the other boys. 

As an adult, Buck knew that Red Bear had carried the burden, not just for himself and his little brother, but also for the entire tribe. When, Buck had disappeared, Red Bear had to place four braves in potential danger to go look for him. He had also made a choice to give up the buffalo hunt that day which put his entire tribe in danger of running short of supplies for the coming winter. These were serious decisions for Red Bear and he needed his people to know that he was not placing his younger half-white brother over the needs of the tribe. Thus, Red Bear had chosen to publicly embarrass Buck in order to teach him a lesson and to prove to his people that he was a leader, not only in name, but also in spirit. He needed his people to know that they would always come first, not his little brother who many thought should have been killed at birth. But in the back of Buck’s mind, a child’s voice cried out that Red Bear had served him up to the tribe and used him to make his claim to his title stronger.

On top of everything else, Buck not only grieved over the loss of his brother, he also sorrowed for something else. With Red Bear’s death, Buck had lost his last link to the Kiowa. As long as Red Bear was alive, Buck had felt a part of something bigger than himself. When he found himself alone in a strange town, he would imagine Red Bear walking alongside him, giving him courage, especially after Ike had died. Sometimes, in his mind he would even speak to Red Bear in Kiowa, hoping somehow that Red Bear could hear him. Buck also thought that sometimes he could hear Red Bear answering him and assuring him that his behavior was proper and dignified. He had always found comfort in knowing that if he died, his people would go on but now he wasn’t sure. The Kiowa were being torn apart a little more everyday just like Buck felt his soul was breaking in two and when it finally gave way, his spirit would be scattered on the wind just as the autumn leaves now scattered across the ground. 

What made it worse, was that Buck had so little of his brother left. In the village if someone died, there was comfort in knowing that the grief and suffering was shared. Songs would be sung about the dead and ceremonies would be performed to ensure the spirit would be set free. Buck wasn’t even sure where his brother’s body lay. He hoped that other braves had found Red Bear after he had been killed and that his body was treated respectfully. He hoped even harder that the Medicine Man had been able to pray over Red Bear and that Red Bear’s spirit was content. The worst would be if Red Bear’s body had been left to the white men to bury in a mass grave. 

Buck longed for someone to share Red Bear’s memory with but here, in Rock Creek, no one knew Red Bear, except Kid who had only seen him from a distance. Buck knew that in the saloon, white men were drinking whiskey, smoking cigars and praising the army for their brilliant defeat of the savage red man. He was afraid that if he went out in the street, he might hear the townsfolk actually speak his brother’s name and it would kill him.

All of a sudden, he remembered the leather hide he kept rolled up in a box under his bunk. To the surprise of the others, Buck sat up for the first time that day and then dropped to his knees as he reached under his bunk for the box. With chilly fingers, he dragged the box out and threw the lid on the floor. He pulled out the hide and unrolled it on the floor in front of him. It was the message Red Bear had sent him long ago when he had called Buck to him and had offered him a place in the tribe. During that meeting, they had reminisced about happier times and Buck wished they could have stayed like that forever. It was so nice, just two brothers, sitting around a fire speaking of past times, playfully punching each other when they laughed. Then Red Bear had turned the conversation serious when he told Buck that his braves were going to be attacking the Pony Express because they carried the white man’s word and he feared for Buck’s safety. But Red Bear also had another motive. He needed his people to know that his actions were not tainted by any ties he had to the white man, namely Buck. After all these years, Red Bear’s position was still tenuous because of Buck’s presence on earth. Buck had chose not to go with his brother and now he wondered if Red Bear might be alive if there had been one more warrior at the battle. 

Now Buck could only stare at the painting of the large red bear and a buck facing each other. Buck noticed that even in the painting the bear held a more dominant position than the buck, being larger and standing slightly on its hind legs. It was typical behavior for his brother even if it was subconsciously done. Always, Red Bear had the dominant position over Buck. When Buck was a child, it was expected and Buck readily gave Red Bear all the respect he deserved. To Buck, the sun rose and set on his older brother. However, when they were older, Buck had sometimes defied Red Bear on purpose to see Red Bear’s reaction. Now, Buck was an adult and he wondered if Red Bear would have treated him as an equal if they had met again. Even as he asked himself the question, Buck grimly smiled to himself and shook his head. Red Bear would have always treated Buck like a child, like someone who knew less than he simply because he was younger.

“Buck, are you OK?” Jimmy’s question hung in the air. He didn’t really expect Buck to answer, but felt that the awkward silence needed to be broken. He was surprised along with everyone else when Buck nodded. It was the first time all day that Buck had acknowledged their presence.

“I’m fine. Just thinking is all.” Buck voice was monotone and the way he sat, almost huddled on the floor seemed sad and pitiful to everyone in the room. He did not pick his head up but continued to stare at the picture in front of him. His behavior was surprising to the others. They had seen him grieve for Ike and had seen him overcome great sorrow in his life but whenever Buck’s thoughts were too heavy for him to bear, he would always ride out on his horse. Sometimes, he would be gone for just a couple of hours and once he left them for a whole week. They knew he was either praying or just letting his horse run free across the prairie, but this was so different. Buck seemed beaten and had made no move to pray for his dead brother.

“Do you want something to eat?” Lou spoke softly. When Buck shook his head, she felt so guilty for even asking. Here, Buck was experiencing the deepest sorrow one could imagine and all they could do was ask if he was OK or if he wanted to eat. She wished there was a way of telling him how sorry they all were but Buck had his own way about him that made it hard sometimes for the others to figure out what to do when he was troubled. They weren’t really sure if the Kiowa had a different way of dealing with the death of one of their own and so they waited for Buck to give them a signal or to show them the way. Buck remained sitting motionless on the floor for an hour when he felt his legs begin to cramp. He finally got up and took off his jacket and hat. He hung his hat on the peg by his bed and flung his jacket onto the mattress. When he sat down on the bed to pull off his boots, he saw the leather hide still laying on the floor. Suddenly, he hated Red Bear for all that he had done to him. All the humiliation he had caused, all the humiliation he could have stopped. Buck wanted to kick the hide under his bed so he wouldn’t have to look at it again but some deep part of him knew that it was the only tangible thing he had of his brother so he nudged it with his foot instead. He would deal with it later when he had more energy. For now, he threw back the covers on his bed and once again crawled in hoping to sleep without dreaming of Red Bear.
 

Chapter 3

Five days later Buck walked through Rock Creek with Cody and Jimmy on either side of him. Although he was just going to town to deposit a paycheck in the bank, both Cody and Jimmy felt the need to be there with Buck and protect him in case there was trouble. The town had celebrated the news of the Army’s victory but now was more subdued as the remaining braves had formed small war parties and had been attacking any white man they saw out of an unbridled desire for revenge. Rock Creek, fearing retaliation for housing some of the army, had even formed patrols to monitor the outskirts of town. Cody had volunteered for the patrols but he had made it clear to Buck that it was not out of a desire to avenge attacks on the town but to prevent further bloodshed. When they had first met, Buck would have doubted Cody’s intentions but now he knew Cody was sincere and he was a bit relieved to know Cody would be out there. For all his bluster, Cody could be reasonable when he wanted to be and he usually acted as fairly as possible.

Buck had another reason for going into town. In light of the Indian trouble, all Pony Express runs had been cancelled and Teaspoon wanted him to stay at the station house. No one in town knew that Red Bear was his brother and Teaspoon wanted it kept that way. The other riders knew the older man feared that if someone made a derogatory comment against the Indians or mentioned Red Bear by name, there could be no predicting how Buck would act. He had acted out of a desire for revenge at least three times that Teaspoon knew about and those men had either ended up dead or seriously injured. Teaspoon had not been able to stop Buck before and he knew that this would be no different if Buck chose to act. Teaspoon also knew that one of these times Buck could end up dead or in prison the rest of his life. But Buck could not stay in the bunkhouse any longer so he made up an excuse to walk through town and see for himself the emotional aftermath of the battle.

Jimmy noticed Buck getting a few more hostile stares than usual and some were whispering but no one made a move to come at him. Jimmy thought that would change if they knew Red Bear was Buck’s brother and how closely tied Buck was to the Kiowa. The people of Rock Creek knew Buck was half-Indian but they weren’t even sure what tribe he was affiliated with nor did they really care. An Indian was an Indian after all. Jimmy knew how he would be feeling if he were in Buck’s place and in doing so understood Buck’s temper. Both young men had the capability of lashing out unlike the other riders. Their tempers could not be controlled once rage was brought to the surface and Jimmy knew Buck was barely controlling his emotions.

“I told you, I could handle it myself. It’s just going to the bank and my money always seems to be welcome there,” Buck said sarcastically. He had been extremely moody over the last week and no one blamed him. As a matter of fact, the riders would have been more worried if he had stayed silent like he did that first day.

“Ah, well, you see Buck, we’re just comin’ along to make sure.” Buck grinned at Jimmy. Jimmy’s idea of keeping the peace varied widely depending on the situation.

When they arrived at the bank, Buck went up the steps but Cody and Jimmy stayed outside to keep an eye on the crowd of people that seemed to be quickly gathering. At first it was only a few men that gathered but more people came to support those in front. The town had been living with increasing tension over the last week and they needed to release some of it. They crowd could instinctively tell Buck was going to be an easy target even with Cody and Jimmy to protect him. Out on the prairie it would have been a different matter. Out there who could tell when a bunch of savages would ride up ready for an attack, but here the town knew they had the advantage.

“Hey, look the heathen knows what money is.” 
“Remember when you could buy them with a jug of whiskey?” 
“Hey, why don’t you do a rain dance for us?”

Buck ignored the jeers of the crowd. Jimmy noticed he stood with his back straight and gave the crowd a piercing look with dark eyes that truly showed hate and contempt. He was about to turn and go into the bank when someone came up with the newspaper that had started this for Buck. “Hey, Indian, you know any of these fellas? The man began to read the names of the dead Indian warriors in a loud mocking voice. “Running Horse, Leaping Fox, Red Bear.” The man got no further because Jimmy ran over and tackled him sending him flying into the ground. Jimmy held him by the neck with one hand and ripped the newspaper out of his clenched fist with the other. When Jimmy stood up, he kicked the man in the ribs for good measure, but it was too late. Red Bear’s name had been read.

When the man had started to read the list, Buck’s face turned pale and he swallowed convulsively. His left fist clenched and unclenched and his breathing became shallow. Cody moved up towards Buck and put his arm on Buck’s back. He wanted to try and show his support for Buck, but more importantly keep him under control. Buck shoved Cody away and went over to where the man lay on the ground still breathing heavy after Jimmy’s assault. Buck leaned over the now cowering man and pulled the knife from its sheath on his boot. The crowd moved back and watched as Buck contemplated killing this man in the street. Blood pounded in his ears and he imagined slicing him open for everyone to see. Sweat ran into his eyes and the hand that held the knife was trembling.

Jimmy and Cody stood still knowing that the slightest movement would set Buck off. Buck leaned down into the man’s face so that their eyes were only inches apart. “Red Bear was my brother.” Buck placed the tip of the knife on the man’s throat and applied pressure until a small trickle of blood flowed down his fat neck. “You spoke his name and that was a mistake.”

“Buck!” Cody and Jimmy looked up to see Teaspoon running over with Kid and Lou behind him. When there was no response from Buck, Teaspoon came up to Buck and grabbed him by the collar. “Buck! Come with me, now!” While there was no immediate response from Buck, there was a slight hesitation and the others took advantage of it. Kid and Jimmy each grabbed Buck by an arm and dragged him away from the whimpering man in the street. Cody and Lou followed behind to make sure there was no retaliation for the incident.

The crowd in the street stood in shock at what they had witnessed. The young half-breed they had let live with them, that carried their mail and actually did business in their stores was the brother of the Kiowa War Chief! He had dared to be so bold as to try and kill a man for just teasing him a little. For that act, and for who he was, there was going to be retribution.
 

Chapter 4

“What the hell were you boys doin’ in town?” Teaspoon bellowed the question across the room where he was pacing back and forth.

“Teaspoon, we just went to do an errand with Buck. He just needed to get out of here for a little bit.” Cody hoped his explanation was good enough.

“We’ve all been cooped up.” Jimmy sat next to Cody at the table and he had never seen Teaspoon look so mad. His face was livid and he looked like he wanted to kick something every time he turned around.

“Well, you could have stirred up more trouble than you know. People are looking for a reason to fight and you walked into town and gave them one. You think they’re gonna think twice about taking a shot at Buck now? If you thought things were rough for Buck before, think again. Hell, now that they know who his brother was, he’s as good as dead around here.”

“Teaspoon, we’re sorry. We were just trying to help.” Cody paused before he continued, “You should have seen Buck when that man said Red Bear’s name. Buck didn’t look sane.”

 “Well, you have to wonder if right now he is.” Teaspoon let his words sink in and then went out on the porch to find Buck.

Teaspoon walked outside and was relieved to find Buck standing on the far end of the porch looking down at the ground below. Teaspoon was not a man to make the same mistake twice and so he had sent Kid and Lou out on the porch with Buck so he would not be left alone. Now, Teaspoon waved Kid and Lou inside before he talked to Buck. “Buck, what happened in town today was unfortunate, but you got to understand those folks are looking for trouble.” There was no reaction from Buck and Teaspoon didn’t really expect any. “You are not going anywhere near town again, do you hear? If you had killed him, you would be hanging from a tree right now. We couldn’t have stopped it. Now, Buck, we have to talk about your safety I don’t care what errand you make up, but you are staying right here and I want you inside now.”

Buck ignored Teaspoon’s lecture and just said in a trembling voice, “They said his name.”

Teaspoon forgot the rest of the lecture and simply said, “I know son.” 

Buck walked quietly inside with Teaspoon’s hand on his shoulder.

Buck woke to the sound of breaking glass. He jumped out of bed and quickly pulled on a pair of pants. The other riders were doing the same except for Jimmy who grabbed his gun first. They had been expecting trouble and so all were prepared to fight at any time. They all ducked as another windowpane broke and glass shards went flying into the dark room. Jimmy was about to run outside when Buck grabbed hold of his arm. “Let me go, Jimmy. It’s me they want to have fun with. They’re just a bunch of drunks who don’t know any better. I’ll go out and they can have a go at me. Then it will be over.”

“No way, Buck. Those men out there mean business. Maybe we need to teach them a lesson of our own.” Jimmy cocked his gun and was about to throw Buck off him when the smell of smoke came through the broken windows. At first, they thought the bunkhouse was on fire but quickly realized someone had started a bonfire in the street. 

They looked cautiously out the remaining windows and realized they were burning a scarecrow dressed like an Indian. The ghoulish effigy was decorated in feathers and paint and even had long hair. Two or three men took turns throwing the scarecrow back and forth before setting it on fire. Once it was on fire, it quickly went up in bright orange flames. The jeering crowd applauded as the flames lit the street in flickering light. The crowd could see the silhouettes of the five people in the bunkhouse and knew that Buck was one of them. “Hey, Injun did we get it right? Did our little friend look like your no good brother…what did you say his name was…Dead Bear?” The crowd laughed gleefully at what they thought was a clever remark.

This was too much for the young group of friends that stood in the bunkhouse. Jimmy, Cody and Kid rushed out the front door with guns drawn. “Get out of here before we shoot you all!” Jimmy’s voice was threatening and the crowd didn’t need to be told twice especially when they could see the barrels of two guns drawn on them by Wild Bill Hickok. Especially when two young men backed up Wild Bill, one with a rifle aimed directly at them. The crowd dispersed some trying to bravely slap each other on the back.

Buck stood stock still not believing this was happening. His hand rested on the edge of the windowpane as he looked out into the street. This morning, he would have been filled with rage and no one could have stopped him from running out into the street and killing as many as he could before leaping into the fire himself. Now, he just felt numb. He knew it wasn’t his brother in the street and he knew that no amount of mockery on the part of a few fools would cheapen Red Bear’s memory. Buck made his way over to his bunk and pulled out the leather hide from under his bed. It had remained where he had pushed it over five days ago. The others watched as Buck knelt in front of the hide and touched his forehead down to the painting. He only stayed there for a few minutes this time as once again he crawled in his bunk with his boots on.
 

Chapter 5

Four days later, Buck sat with Cody on the porch and watched the sun rise in the sky. It was going to be a beautiful day and Buck swallowed hard to keep the tears falling as he thought of Red Bear. Buck had always loved to watch the sky and the weather. He was fascinated, especially as a child, at the many different kinds of clouds there were and the weather they foretold. Buck would watch the clouds move across the sky during storms and try and see if he could tell when thunder or lightening would come. He liked to smell the air and feel the humidity during the summer months and see if he could predict rainfall. During those moments of quiet reflection though he had always thought of Red Bear. 

Once, Red Bear had taken Buck to climb the steep cliffs that surrounded their land. It had taken four hours for the two to make their way to the top of a high plateau where trees did not grow. Red Bear had placed his arm around Buck’s shoulder and the two had sat in companionable silence while they watched the sky. Red Bear had told Buck that he thought the clouds were the luckiest things in the world because they always roamed free and could never be caught. Buck had always remembered Red Bear’s words as his older brother was not usually given to such fanciful thoughts. Now, whenever Buck looked at the clouds he always thought of Red Bear. 

To keep from spiraling down into even a darker mood, Buck looked over the town that town had grown quiet after the bonfire incident. The Indian raids were slowing down as the Army continued to round up the renegade braves. The battle itself was even growing a little more distant in the town’s memory. The town begun to occupy itself with the more mundane tasks of everyday life and Buck watched as people and wagons made their way down the street. Just as he was about to go inside, Buck turned his head to look at the outskirts of town. He couldn’t believe what he saw. Cody also picked his head up and stared at the procession coming down the street before he got up and went inside to get the others.

There, coming down the main street of Rock Creek were seven Indian braves mounted on horseback. Buck could see they were from at least three different tribes, one of them being Kiowa. What made the sight even more spectacular was the fact that they led a man who walking behind the horses. His hands were tied with leather and he looked badly beaten. He could barely stumble down the street. Buck’s eyes grew wide as he recognized the man as the one who had burned the effigy and had called his brother that horrible name.

The townspeople reacted badly. Most men grabbed guns and prepared to kill the braves who now sat proudly on their horses. Unexpectedly, one of the braves leaped from his horse and raced over to their prisoner. He quickly pulled the man to him and held a knife to his throat. The few people who were close enough to see noticed a strong resemblance between this knife and Buck’s.

Buck quickly raced down the porch steps and ran to the braves. He placed himself between them and the town. The lead warrior looked at Buck and nodded his head slightly to acknowledge him. Buck had no idea what was going on or what was the purpose of such a strange visit in these dangerous times, but he had to know. Had this man committed some crime against the Indian nation or were they merely using him as a hostage for negotiation?

Buck approached the warrior that looked like the leader and kept his voice low and respectful, “We would like to know the reason for your visit.”

“We have found this man trespassing on our sacred burial ground. We caught him desecrating a burial platform by stealing eagle feathers and medicine pouches. We came here to show what will happen when the white man does harm to our people. We wanted you to see him alive one last time before we exact our justice on him.”

“Why bring him here alive?” Buck was confused. By all rights, he should be dead. If the Indians wanted to punish him, they would have done so and left his tortured body to be found by the town. Buck knew there was another reason for this visit but he didn’t think it would be too hard to find out what it was. The braves would not have risked coming to Rock Creek for mere show. There had to be a very decisive purpose.

“We want to negotiate with your leader for an exchange. We will let this man leave unharmed if a trade is made. We want Mauling Bear.” Buck immediately recognized the name of one of the great chiefs of the Plains Indians. He had united several tribes into a joint force against the Army. Red Bear had admired his skill both as a leader and as a warrior. But Buck had not heard that he had been captured and he certainly was not in Rock Creek. As a matter of fact, the Army had passed through the day before and no one had mentioned such a prisoner.

“Why do you think he is here?” Buck glanced nervously over his shoulder. Everyone had gathered to watch the events unfold before them and Buck could not be sure that someone would not take a shot at one of the braves. Buck knew that these men did not ride into town unprotected and that there had to be other braves watching for signs of trouble. For now though, it seemed as if most of the town was in shock and no one dared make a move.

“We have heard that Mauling Bear was captured and is to be executed at Fort Laramie. We value every member of our tribe and surely you must also. This man will live if you give us Mauling Bear.”

Buck knew that if Mauling Bear were still alive, he would be executed. The Army would not release such a man as that. If Buck told the warrior this, they would ride out with the hostage and no one would hear of him again. Buck’s inner desire for revenge bubbled up and he wanted to get on his horse and ride out of town with this group. He would pray, then paint his body as if for war, and finally kill this man all the while chanting Red Bear’s name. But something held him back. Some thread still remained to this life and this world he lived in now. Red Bear had told Buck that his spirit walked in two different worlds and the white part of his soul called out to him to temper revenge with justice. The man that stood cowering was an ignorant fool that did not know better. Buck made his decision. He was going to try and save him.

“I am Running Buck. My brother was the Kiowa War Chief Red Bear. He was killed in battle just two weeks ago. I can promise you that Mauling Bear is not here. I can also tell you that I have not heard of his capture, but if he is a prisoner, the Army will not release him. This man you have captured is of no real importance. Yes, the white men value their people, but killing this one will cause more war and will not assuage the suffering you are experiencing. Release him and that single act may bring more peace between our people than any other negotiation.” Buck let his words settle in the mind of the leader. He knew that once his mind was made up, no one would be able to change it. Buck held his breath as he waited for an answer.

“Release him.” The brave that had been holding him reluctantly let him go and he ran as fast as he could into the nearest building. Buck knew that there would be no thanks for him but that didn’t matter as he watched the seven braves ride out of town. Suddenly, the question that had troubled Buck since Red Bear’s death popped up in Buck’s whirling mind. He had to know. He ran after the braves and called out to the one dressed like a Kiowa brave.

“Where is Red Bear’s body?” Buck blurted the question out without waiting to be acknowledged. He felt sick to his stomach but he had to know.

“His spirit was properly released.”

“Thank you.” Buck closed his eyes and let out a soft breath. He wanted to ask about the details of Red Bear’s death. He wanted to know if it was swift or lingering. Had Red Bear called for him or even thought about his little brother as his spirit was leaving his body? Buck knew that he would not get answers now and that the braves had to leave, but knowing that Red Bear was not in a mass grave was enough.

To Buck, it seemed like the ordeal was over. The battles between the Indian and white man had died down for now and the townsfolk gave him a measure of respect for what he had done in saving a life. He felt good for what he had done but there was some place he needed to go. 
 

Chapter 6

Buck walked his horse through the tall grass looking down at the ground where the battle had taken place just two weeks ago. The ground was rutted and chewed up where hundreds of soldiers on horseback had met hundreds of Indian braves also on horseback. Buck could see bullets strewn about the battlefield along with bits of bloody cloth, leather, and arrows that had missed their mark. He could also see where arrows had been broken off in an effort to remove them from the bodies of dying soldiers. Buck found a moccasin and picked it up turning it slowly over in his hands. He looked at where it had been stitched together and remembered his mother sewing a pair for Red Bear. Buck placed it reverently on the ground and kept walking, picking his way carefully through the swaying grass. Two nations had collided here, each fighting for what they thought was right and trying to kill what they thought was wrong. Buck was saddened that he could not feel his brother’s spirit here, but grew hopeful as he realized he could feel Red Bear in is heart. 

It had been impossible for him to choose a side. Instead he had stood not for the white man nor for the Indian but for himself. He had managed to save the life of one white man and seven red ones and in doing so had saved himself. Maybe now, he understood his brother. Red Bear had loved him and at the same time loved his people. If there were a choice to make, Red Bear would choose his people over Buck. At one time, this thought would have brought him great sorrow but now it brought him a measure of comfort. Buck, for the first time really understood the conflict and heavy burdens that Red Bear had carried with him. Red Bear had the responsibility of protecting an entire group of people. Perhaps in his life, he had wished for the burden to be eased but he never acknowledged those feelings, simply carried on with his grave and sacred duty. Buck was only saddened by the knowledge that the two of them could have been closer in life if the understanding had come sooner. Buck owed it to his brother now to live a life that Red Bear would be proud of even if that life were going to be split down the middle of two conflicting worlds, because just as Buck had come to understand his brother’s choices, Buck knew Red Bear would understand his. Buck looked up at the sky and realized the sun was setting.

Buck swung himself onto his horse and galloped toward home.
 


THE END

Comments?  Email Sharon


 
 
.
.
.