.
.
 
Two Halves 
to Make a Whole
by Jessica
Chapter One

It was a beautiful evening, perfect for the Annual Spring Social, held the past three years in Rock Creek.  The sun had just finished setting, and the sky was a royal blue, getting darker as it neared the horizon.   Most of the townspeople were already at the Social Hall, when the Pony Express 
Riders rode up, the six boys on horse back, dressed in their Sunday best, and Rachel and Lou in lovely evening gowns, riding in the buckboard.   At the same time, from the opposite end of town, came the new, young female in town.  While Kid and Noah help Lou and Rachel down from the buckboard, the others tether the horses, and Miss Victoria Michaels approaches the hitching post.  All are shocked to see a “lady” riding astride; Cody lets out a low whistle.   The boys start to move to help her dismount, but Buck, already next to her, gets that privilege. 

Ike turns to Kid and signs, “ Why is she riding a mount? And where is her escort?”  Victoria notes this and smiles to herself.  As Buck sets her down, they see what her luscious purple taffeta and velvet dress has been hiding, she rode without a saddle. 

“Why she wearing that pretty, and expensive looking, dress when she’s riding without a saddle?” Cody whispers to Jimmy, who just shrugs his shoulders. 

She looks up and smiles, “Thank you, Buck.”

“You’re welcome…” Buck replies, quirking an eyebrow at her.

“ Victoria Michaels, Tori to my friends,” she laughs, “ I just moved to town a few months ago, and have been busy getting my homestead, mm livable.” With that, she turns to loop her horse’s reins over the rail.  She reaches up and pats the horse’s neck affectionately, then looks up at Buck and smiles, tipping her head subtly towards the door of the Social Hall.  As Buck joins her, he offers his arm, and she accepts with a smile. 

When they pass Cody she pauses and with a twinkle in her eye says, “My dad gave me this dress three years ago, and my ‘uncle’ taught me to ride bareback when I was little.”  Cody’s eyes grow round, and his jaw drops open, obviously surprised that she heard him.  Buck smiles, glad to see 
Cody with nothing to say, for once. 

“You should do that more often.” Tori jokes. 

 “Do what more often?”   Buck inquires, narrowing his eyes suspiciously

“Smile.” Tori states matter-of-factly.   With that, they enter the Hall. 

“That’s a good way to catch flies.” Jimmy laughs at Cody, as he brushes past.  The rest follow, joining in the laughter and leaving Cody to compose himself. 

************************************************

Tori dances with Buck most of the evening, but she does give all the riders a turn around the dance floor, but only one.  Buck escorts Tori outside, to get a breath of fresh air, when the band takes a break before their last set.  She walks up to her horse and pets it. 

“No, Windy, no sugar for you right now, you’ll have to wait until we get home.  Don’t look at me like that, you know better.” Tori speaks to the horse affectionately and laughingly, as if this is a conversation they have often. 

“Have you had Windy long?” Buck inquires.

“Since I was 5, My ‘uncle’ let me pick her out for my birthday; I walked over to where they kept the horses and said that I wanted the Wind Dancer, and that really is her name.  Eagle Feather knew which one I’d pick, but he felt like he had to make it seem as though I was choosing my horse, ya’ know.”

“Is Eagle Feather the uncle you speak about so often, with love and sadness in your eyes?”

“Yes, umm he and my father were best friends; they died a year apart, almost to the day. Two years ago my uncle died, then my father.” 

“So your dress has a very special meaning to it, doesn’t it?”  Before she could reply, Ike steps out, looking for them. 

“Ya’ll have been gone a while, the band has played two songs already. Is everything alright?”  He asks, signing.

“Were fine, Ike isn’t it?  We’ve just been talking.”  Tori responds. 

Ike’s eyes grow round in surprise, “Where’d you learn sign?” 

“Her uncle.” Buck smiles, looking at Tori, and they all laugh at some inside joke.
 

Chapter 2

That evening at the bunkhouse, Buck sleeps peacefully, as he hasn’t in a while.  In the morning, he wakes with a smile that prompts the others to joshin’ him. 

“So Buck, why do you think she chose to spend so much of her time last night with you, when she could have had any one of the rest of us, besides Kid?” Jimmy teases. 

“Well with the look of that dress and the way she cut Cody down I’m guessing it’s ‘cause she’s got taste!” Lou responds, defending Buck, with a twinkle in her eye. 

Ike looks at Buck, and smiles, letting him know that his next words are a joke, “Yeah, well that still don’t explain why she picked Buck, especially over me!!”  That sets the whole bunkhouse to howling with laughter. They’re all still laughing when Rachel walks in to fix breakfast. 

 “Don’t ya’ll need to get dressed, and get to working on ya’ll’s chores?  This place don’t get clean by itself, ya know!”  Though her words are intended to sound gruff, her eyes twinkle with mirth too.  Later that afternoon, Buck and Ike are in town to pick up a few things for Rachel at Tompkins’ store, and they run into Tori. 

 “Hello Victoria” Buck smiles, and nods his head. 

 “Good afternoon, Buck. Hello Ike.  Please, call me Tori, we are friends after all, I thought so at least.”  Ike smiles, and blushes, then ducks his head, mildly embarrassed, but was happy to be noticed.  Buck smiles, also glad that Tori has acknowledged his friend, and accepted the bond between them. 

 “Would you like to join me on a picnic tomorrow?” Buck offers impulsively. 

“I’d love too, for lunch then?”

  “I’ll get Rachel to pack a lunch basket, with lemonade, and then we’ll ride out to the perfect spot.”  At this point Ike taps Buck on the shoulder, and asks,

 “Why doesn’t she join us for dinner tonite?  Rachel loves company, I know she wouldn’t mind.”   They both turn and look at Tori expectantly,

 “Well, what do ya say?” Buck  asks, knowing, she won’t decline.

  “Well,” she draws out, “As long as you’re sure I won’t be imposing, I would be glad too.  Besides, the rest of your ‘family’ was wonderful the other night, and I’d love another chance to talk with them.”  Ike and Buck smile their triumph at each other.

   “Would ya’ll be offended if I rode Windy?”  The boys look at each other, then shake their heads ‘no’ at the same time.  Buck moves forward and helps Tori mount, then turns, and mounts Warrior.  Ike drives the buckboard back to the waystation.
 

Cody is out on the porch of the bunkhouse, and sees them approaching, “Riders comin’” he yells. Lou and Rachel step out of the main house, to see who it is, “It’s Buck and Ike, they got somebody with ‘em.” Lou comments.  Jimmy and Noah, comin’ in from the corral, look up to see too.

 “Probably that lady Buck danced with all night.” Jimmy guesses. 

 “Yeah, probably. Tori, wasn’t that her name?” Noah agrees.

“Only to her friends, as I recall.” Jimmy reminds him. 

Lou smiles at Rachel,  “Guess it’s a good thing, for her, that Teaspoon’s outta town, ‘til tomorrow. Huh?” 

Rachel laughs, and shakes her head, “Go on ‘n’ help them boys unload the wagon,  I gotta get supper made.”

“A’right.” Lou answers to the only other consistent female at the waystation, and walks off to help the boys unload the wagon.  One of the first things Jimmy and Cody notice about Tori is that she dresses a lot like Rachel, in just a simple skirt and blouse, with out a number unnecessary ruffles, bows, and such. 

 “After last night, I dunno, I guess I expected her to dress more like the ladies in town, all fancy and frilly and stuff, ya know.” Cody mentions to Jimmy as they get closer to the wagon. 

“Yeah, I understand where your comin’ from, Cody, but think, any woman who rides without a saddle, on a regular basis, ain’t gonna be like the other town ladies.” 

That night at dinner, Lou notices that Tori doesn’t need Buck to translate between her and Ike. “Tori, where did you learn Indian Sign?” 

 “Oh, my uncle.” Tori answers easily. 

“Was he mute, then?” asks Cody. 

“No, he was Iroquois.  He and my father were best friends, after my dad saved his life.  My mother died just days after delivering me, and Eagle Feather helped to raise me.  I was taught the ways of the Iroquois, and their brothers, including the Kiowa.  Between my father, Uncle Feather, and the tribe I’d say I turned out ok.” 

“So why are you out here, by yourself?” Noah asks, concerned, and slightly confused. 

“Because, Uncle Eagle Feather died two years ago, and at about the same time they were being forced off their land.  Then a year later, almost to the day, my father died.  I had no reason to stay; the town felt that because I had spent most of my life with Indians, I was no good and just as savage as they had always been taught to believe all Indians were.  I was treated worse than the women who had been taken during raids, because I cavorted with ‘those heathens’ willingly.  So I left, and headed west.”

“Oh, so how’d you end up in Rock Creek?”

“I don’t have the answer to that, I’m still trying to understand it myself.”  With those words, she locks eyes with Buck, and smiles. 

“Sooo, they treated you like you were….” Jimmy starts.

“…A half breed.” Buck finishes, never breaking the visual bond between him and Tori.

***********************

Later that night, when Buck gets back from escorting Tori home Ike is sitting outside waiting for him.

“You’re welcome.”  Ike signs.

“Thanx, now what am I thanking you for?” Buck responds, honestly confused.

“For inviting her to dinner, ‘cause it was obvious, even to a blind man, that you weren’t gonna.”

“Well, I guess I just wasn’t ready to yet.  I’m not upset that you did, just it happened a little earlier than I was planning to.” 

“What do you mean you weren’t ready yet?  That same blind man can see that you like her, so what’s wrong?” 

“I dunno, I …. Part of me wanted to wait until after our picnic tomorrow.  She…. I’m drawn to her, and I don’t know why.”

“Does this have something to do with the dream that you had last night/this morning?  It’s not every morning you wake up with a smile plastered on your face.”

“That’s part of it. I dreamt that her and I were a family, and we had two children, a boy that looked like her; a little girl that looked like me.”  The memory of the dream causes Buck to smile.

“You’ve always wanted kids.  But why her?”

“That’s the part I don’t understand.  She is the first woman that has caused me to not feel guilty about wanting a family.  I know that she is drawn to me too, but she won’t talk to me about it, yet.”

“Yet?” Ike, not missing the emphasis on the word, raises his eyebrow.

“Yeah, its like she knows something.  Maybe she’s just not ready to talk about it, or maybe we just haven’t had enough time alone together.”

“Ok, just as long as I’m the best man, deal?” 

“Yeah, sure, I’ll let you know when it is.”  The two friends start shaking their heads at each other and Ike stands to go in.

“I’m goin’ on to bed, you comin’?”

“Nah, not yet, I’ll be in after ‘while.”

“Ok, just don’t get lost in the stars, g’nite.”

“G’nite, and don’t worry, I won’t. The stars are supposed to lead me home, remember.”  Ike just smiles, rolls his eyes, and goes in the bunkhouse.  Buck sits down on the steps and stares up at the stars, looking for guidance.  He sits that way for so long that his vision blurs, and he sees Tori’s face made up of the stars and clouds. The moon enhances the image, creating the same shadows and highlights that were apparent the previous night at the dance.
 

Chapter Three

The morning dawns bright and clear.  Birds chirp and the whole world seems to be alive and buzzing in anticipation.  Tori dresses in her favorite outfit, a brown doeskin skirt with a moss green blouse and the moccasins she finished just after Eagle Feather died.  The skirt and blouse were made by the women of Eagle Feather’s tribe, and intended as a gift for Tori’s mother.  She walks with a spring in her step out to the barn, and is greeted excitedly by Wind Dancer. 

“Hey there girl, yes I have a treat for you, besides goin’ out.  Here ya go.”  Tory holds up a rather large sugar cube to Windy.  “Well come on, let’s get going.  I’ve, never been so happy there are so few chores and they can wait ‘til tomorrow.  Yeah I know, you couldn’t care less, as long as I don’t leave you cooped up in the barn all day.”  With that, she mounts up and turns towards the waystation.  Despite her wish to do otherwise, Tori rides Windy at an acceptable pace through town, but as soon as she reaches the outskirts of town, she gives Windy leave to race to the object of Tori’s happiness.

At the way station, Buck has finished his chores in record time, and in the bunkhouse trying to get dressed. 

“IKE!!  Gimme back my shirt!” 

“What do you mean ‘no’?” 

“I can’t go out with a lady wearing just my vest and pants, Rachel’d kill me!  And I’m about to strangle you, if you don’t give me back my clothes!!” 

Ike goes tearin’ out the bunkhouse, carrying all of Buck’s shirts, and Buck following close on his tail. 

“I I IK K E!!” 

Rachel steps out of the house at Buck’s shout.  “What in the devil is going on out here?”

Ike jumps on the porch and hides behind Rachel, leaving Buck standing at the bottom of the stairs.  Rachel turns and looks Ike dead in the eyes, “What is going on?” 

Buck answers, “Ike won’t gimme back my shirts, he says that I don’t need one on my picnic with Tori, that I should just wear my pants and vest.” 

Ike ducks out from behind Rachel, “I think that you should wear what you do when you go see Red Bear.”

Jimmy pipes up, “Hey Buck, it’d be more’n you’re wearing now.  And with Lou and Rachel right here, tsk tsk.”

“Hey!  Leave me outta this, I’ve seen Buck in less, but that’s not important.  What is important is the fact that we go a Rider Comin!  Odds are it’s Tori, and Buck, you still ain’t ready, no matter what you do or don’t wear.” 

Kid joins in with, “To my way of thinking if Tori grew up spending most of her time at an Indian village, then she’s used to seeing a lot more flesh.  I’d have to agree with Ike.” 

Buck looks beseechingly at Rachel to a chorus of “Kid’s right.”  Rachel nods her head and points to the bunkhouse telling Buck, “You need to go finish getting ready.  Your lady is almost here.”  With a sigh, Buck turns and walks dejectedly back to the bunkhouse.  He shrugs on his vest, belts on his guns, combs out his hair, leaving it down, and snatches up his hat on his way out the door.  The sight that greets him makes him forget his frustration at the other riders.  Tori is standing on the porch laughing with Rachel, her back to him, her head tossed back  and her hair cascading down, over the railing. 

“Ahem,” Buck clears his throat “Tori are we ready?”

“I already had Jimmy secure the picnic basket to your horse.”  Rachel interrupts.

Tori just smiles and nods, taking in Buck’s appearance; not trusting herself to speak. 

           ************************************************

Buck and Tory ride for awhile at a sedate pace.  After about an hour Buck reins in Warrior, pointing out the spot for their picnic.

“You see the sun reflecting off the creek up ahead, that’s where I thought we could set up, just under the tree.”

“I think you’re right, it looks absolutely perfect.”

“Glad you like it.  I saw it a couple o’ weeks ago, on a ride to Blue Creek and thought this would make a wonderful spot for a romantic outing.  Kinda figured I’d have to tell Lou and the Kid about it.”

“Now why would you think that?!  Why in the world would you tell somebody else about your spot? What, think you’re not good enough for the girls in town?  I’ll tell you something , Mr. Cross,” He winces at that.  “You are one of the nicest, handsomest men I’ve ever seen in town.  You’re not cocky like Cody, you're not cold like Jimmy, and you don’t worry about pleasing everybody all the time like the Kid.  You’re more confident and self assured than Lou, and possibly Noah, and so far, the only one that could be any sweeter, is Ike, but he’s so damn shy nobody’d ever know it!” 

Buck holds his hands up in surrender, “Ok, ok, I’m sorry.  I will try not to talk down about myself anymore, ‘specially around you.  You’re more vicious than Rachel.  How would you know Ike’s shy?  He sure as hell ain’t whenever you’re around.”

“You sound jealous.  It’s really only ‘cause I can sign with him, same as you.  Are we gonna stop and have this picnic, or just let the horses take us wherever they wander?  Since we seem too busy discussing things to bother to pay attention to ‘em.”

“Well I s’pose we could picnic, and let them drink from the creek while we do.”

By this time they’ve reached the tree.  Buck dismounts first, then turns and lifts Tori down.  She unsaddles Warrior after Buck takes down the basket. 

“Buck, why don’t you set things out, and I’ll rub down the horses, and get them something to drink.”

“Sure, ok.” 

When he finishes setting everything out, and pouring two glasses of lemonade Buck calls Tori back to the blanket.
 

To Be Continued...

Comments?  Email Jessica


 
 
.
.
.