Fanfiction


Previously on Grey Lines:

Spike manages to hide behind the counter and listens to Buffy, Dawn and Willow chat about how Anya is the Snoring Demon. Willow goes to sleep in Buffy’s room, away from the Snoring Demon so Buffy has to take the couch. Spike tries to sneak out of the house but is drawn by Buffy’s soft mumbling in her sleep. Sweet shippyness ensues but a clumsy Anya interrupts. Next day, the four girls (Buffy, Willow, Dawn and Anya) go to the Magic Shop where Giles tells them he believes that whatever is calling the demons is growing stronger and that’s why it can now call weaker demons like Clem. Buffy, worried about the floppy skinned demon goes to the crypt only to find Spike.

 

Chapter 5 - Seeing you Again

From the lower level she could hear his approaching steps as he trudged his way downstairs. She felt her heart pound in her chest, threatening to leap out of it. Her mind raced while her feet were firmly planted on the ground and her legs refused to move. And then he came into view. His back was turned to her as he moved towards the bed, throwing the burnt blanket to the floor. She stood there, in the darkness, mouth dry. She tried to speak, but the words just seemed to get stuck in the stiff knots tied in her throat.

"Bugger!" she heard him curse as he threw his tired body on the bed. "Where the Hell is that pounce?"

Spike was exhausted. He hadn’t slept all night, crouched behind the Slayer’s sofa he had waited until he was sure she was fast asleep. He closed his eyes and sighed loudly as he remembered last night’s events. He was lost in memories when a strange fragrance tickled his nostrils, soon after he became aware of a strange sound. It took him a while to recognize it as the shallow pants of someone breathing heavily. In a flash, he opened his eyes and sat up on the bed, scanning the room for the intruder.

"Who are you?" he asked in a threatening tone. "Show yourself." He ordered standing up.

In the shadow’s, Buffy swallowed hard before stepping into the light and revealing her presence.

************************************************

Xander nervously tapped the pencil on the table as he skimmed through the giant book in front of him.

"Will you stop doing that? It’s making me nervous!" Anya said in an annoying tone.

"Sorry!" the young man answered sincerely.

Willow stopped reading for a second and looked over the cover of her own jumbo-sized volume to see what was happening between the ex-couple. "What? No snippy comeback?" she though to herself.

"What is taking her so long?" Giles asked impatiently. "Maybe she found Clem and he was under the… effect and she followed him. We should go to her. She may be needing our help." The old librarian tensely chewed on his glasses.

"No!" Dawn immediately jumped up. Seeing everyone’s inquisitive glances she added: "She told us to wait, so we should wait." And she sat back down, burying her gaze in a book.

"Maybe you’re right." Giles agreed.

Anya sighed audibly, trying to get everyone’s attention, but when it failed to have the desired effect she decided it was best to actually say what had been bothering her the entire day: "I don’t know why we have to close the Magic Box! I’m… We’re losing money!" she protested.

"Anya, we can’t keep it open. What if you get called?" Xander offered.

"What do you care, anyway?" the demon huffed arrogantly.

"I do care." Xander said once more in a sincere tone.

This time Willow had to say something.

"Xander, are you feeling alright?" she asked resting the book on the table and turning to her best friend.

"I’m fine." He said somewhat defensively.

"Hum…" the ex-witch muttered unconvinced. "If you say so."

***************************************************

Spike’s eyes seemed to pop out of their sockets as his gaze fell on her. He hesitated as he tried to approach her but soon decided it was best to keep the distance between them. A painful and disturbing silence fell over them, invading every inch of the crypt and making the air around them thick with indecision and fear.

Hours seemed to pass before Spike finally said: "Hey, Slayer!"

Buffy swallowed hard before speaking.

"Hey." Her voice was barely audible even for his vampiric hearing.

"So…"

"So… You’re back." She said forcing a weak smile on her lips.

"Yeah. I guess I am." He replied and then added in the most nonchalant tone he could muster: "But I’m not staying."

Buffy felt a sting in her chest, but disguised it well as she continued the awkward conversation, which was strangely reminiscent of the one they had had during Xander’s wedding ceremony.

"Really? Where are you going?" she asked calmly, all her energy going into trying to hide the feelings that were cutting their way down her chest to her stomach.

"Don’t know yet." He nodded before swallowing hard. Inside, he felt something break; she really didn’t care if he stayed or left.

"Um…" she hummed as she realised they were quickly running out of things to say to each other.

"I’m thinkin’ about moving to the east coast. Maybe. Dunno yet." He filled the gap in their conversation.

"Um… Well, good for you." She congratulated him adding another pathetic attempt of a smile at the end of her sentence.

"Yep." He tried to think of something to say as he pushed his hands together and his eyes travelled along the ceiling, the walls, the floor, anywhere but her. He was sure if he looked at her that feeling in the pit of his stomach would just crawl its way to his throat and tie it up in knots. "So, whatcha doin’ here, Slayer?"

Buffy winced at the sound of her title instead of her name. She hated when he did that; it was too formal. The simple word seemed to dig a precipice between them. She was snapped out of her emotions as she remembered what she was there for.

"Clem! Where is he? I have to find him. He might be in trouble." Her tone was suddenly all business.

"Why? What’s wrong?" Spike asked clearly concerned.

"There’s this weird thing going on. All the demons seemed to be getting called around these parts. Something about the pull of the Hellmouth."

"Oh, yeah! I’ve heard of that." Spike said. "Clem went all zombie on me a couple of days ago."

Buffy frowned at the information that he’d been in town more than two days and he hadn’t announced his presence. "He wasn’t even planning on telling me." She thought to herself and suddenly she felt anger start to boil in her blood. But she played it cool, giving him her best I don’t care about you; I’m only here because I have to look.

"So, we have to…" she trailed off as she heard the door to the crypt open.

"Spike!" Clem’s familiar voice was heard from the upper level.

Quickly, Spike moved past Buffy and jogged up the stairs.

"Hey, there you are. I’ve been looking for you all day. You-" Clem stopped his yapping when he saw the petit Slayer come out from behind the vampire. "Oh! Slayer! You’re here and… Spike’s here? Spike, you came back!!!" Clem tried miserably to fake a surprise, but when he saw the vampire shake his head from side to side he decided it was best not to say anything.

Buffy walked over to the demon and asked: "Are you alright? Have you been… You know? Called?"

"Called…? Ah, you mean… called. We’ll last night but Spike had locked me in so I couldn’t leave." Clem explained scratching his head.

Buffy turned to look at the vampire and said nonchalantly: "Good idea. We could have just done that to Anya and she wouldn’t have had to moved in."

"The ex-vengeance demon is living with you." Spike faked a surprise. Thankfully he was better at it then Clem.

"She’s a demon again and yes, she did move in. We thought it was the only way to keep her from… leaving." Buffy explained. She found herself staring at the vampire and quickly shook her head adding: "Clem, we need to keep an eye on you 24/7."

"Cool! I’m gonna have company. Yeah, cause a vampire really isn’t much company you know? Sleeps during the day an’ all." Clem said cheerfully.

"I can keep an eye on him." Spike offered leaning on the sarcophagus as he lit up a cigarette.

"Well-" Buffy started to speak when it finally dawned on her: "Spike, you’re a demon, why weren’t you called?"

"Wha’?"

"Why didn’t you go all zombie like?" Buffy asked confused.

"Well, my demon side must be too strong for it. I’m above it." The vampire offered with a smirk plastered across his face as a burning cigarette now dangled from his pale lips.

"Giles’ theory is precisely the opposite. The stronger demon’s got called first." Buffy countered frowning.

"Well, beats me then." Spike shrugged his shoulders and took a long drag.

"We better go meet Giles and see if we can figure this stuff out. Let’s go." Buffy said walking towards the door with Clem following her close behind. When she noticed the vampire propping himself onto the tomb, she stopped and turned to face him. "Well, are you coming or not?"

"The latter."

"Why?"

"First – vampire here, daylight out there which equals dust in the wind. Second – I told you, I didn’t come to stay, I’m leaving in a couple of days, no need letting your friends know about my being here." Spike explained haughtily from across the room.

"Spike, we have to figure out why you weren’t called. It might be a clue to find this thing out." Buffy said crossing her arms over her chest.

"Why are you so worried about it, Slayer? Woulda thought you’d be happy that something is getting rid of all the nasties for ya."

"I don’t like someone else doing my job." She spat back.

"Don’t wanna miss out on all the fun, is it Slayer?"

There! He’d done it again. He’d called her by her title. She really hated that.

"Spike! This is serious." She warned him.

"Fine. You can tell the Scoobies I’m in town and that I wasn’t called but I’m not going over there." He jumped off the tomb and strolled his way toward the lower level.

"Spike!" she called out walking after him, leaving a very stunned Clem behind. "Spike." She almost tripped over the last steps of the stairs.

"Forget it, Slayer! I’m not going!" he said never turning to face her.

"You have to!" she practically ordered.

Spike felt his blood boil at the last statement and turned on his heels to face her. He was first startled by her proximity. Her feisty noise was inches away from his and he was forced to take a step back before snapping: "I don’t HAVE to do anything! Not anymore. Don’t you get it?" his tone was between shouting and hissing. "I’m not you’re whipping boy anymore! That’s over and done with. I don’t need to do anything you tell me to. Is that clear, Slayer? Or do I have to spell it out for ya?"

Buffy was caught by surprise by his outburst. She stood in silence for a while before speaking in a low and calm voice, but behind her coolness the vampire could tell the damage his harsh words had caused.

"Fine, you don’t want to come, that’s you’re choice."

"Bloody right it is!" he hissed.

"I’ll bring Clem over in the afternoon." Was the last thing she said before she turned to leave.

Spike was left alone in the dark compartment, listening to her fading footsteps and eventually the sound of a heavy door being closed in the upper level. The vampire felt his heart shrivel up in his chest, ordering his to run after her, but his pride overcame his urge and he opted by throwing his tired body on the bed.

***************************************************

"Buffy!" Giles’ voice was filled with relief as he saw the Slayer walk in closely followed by the floppy skinned demon. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I’m fine and so is Clem." Buffy spoke unenthusiastically as she took a place around the table.

"What took you so long?" Xander asked.

"Spike’s back." She said flatly and unemotionally.

"He’s back? Since when?" Giles asked cleaning his glasses for the 100th time that day.

"A couple of days and for some reason he hasn’t been called." Buffy informed.

"What? But he’s a vampire. A master vampire. He should have been one of the first to be called." Giles scratched is forehead as he puzzled over the enigma.

"Exactly."

"That’s odd." Willow spoke.

"That animal is back in town. How dare he, after-"

"Xander!" Buffy cut him off. "Anyway, he’s not planning on staying in town." She tried to seemed unaffected by the information she had just revealed but Willow and Dawn easily noticed the faltering in her voice and the sad spark in her glassy eyes.

"Good. The quicker he leaves town the better. He’s caused enough damage around here for two lifetimes." Xander grumbled under his breath avoiding looking at Anya.

"We have to know why Spike remains unaffected by this power." Giles interrupted.

"I tried, but he said he didn’t want to see any of us." Buffy informed. She immediately identified the hurt look in Willow’s and Anya’s eyes, but was surprised not to find it in Dawn’s who was still looking between the pages of a large book.

"Well, I need to talk to him." Giles insisted.

"I’m going over there later today. I have to walk Clem over, make sure nothing happens to him." Buffy said.

"Ok, then I’ll come with you." Giles announced picking up his jacket and putting it on.

*****************************************************

Spike pried his eyes open as he heard the sound of the door in the upper compartment being open.

"Spike!"

He recognised the old librarian’s voice and cursed under his breath as he turned in the bed but refused to get up.

"Spike!" Giles called once more as he came down the stairs to find a sleeping vampire. Immediately he lowered his tone and whispered walking closer. "Spike…"

"I’m not sleeping… Not anymore." Spike grumbled into the pillow, refusing to turn his head to face the watcher.

"I need to speak to you." Giles felt incredibly uncomfortable being in a vampire’s layer as the creature lay, apparently naked, under white sheets.

"By all means, do tell." Spike continued to face away from the watcher, his eyes firmly closed.

"Well, I need to know why you weren’t affected by the force that has been attracting all these demons." Giles went directly to the point.

"Like I told the Slayer, I have absolutely no bloody idea why." Spike whinged.

"Did something happen to you while you were… away from Sunnydale." Giles asked and immediately he noticed the back muscles of the vampire tense up.

Slowly, Spike turned to face the old man.

"Nop. Not that I can remember." He bluntly lied.

"Are you sure?" Giles insisted.

"I’m sure, now could you just leave? I’m a vampire, I sleep during the day, remember?" Spike grumbled turning way from the librarian.

"Oh, right! I’m sorry." Giles awkwardly excused himself making his way towards the stairs, but before he reached them he added: "If you do remember something, please, do let me know."

"Hum…" was all the watcher could hear from between the white sheets.

Spike waited for the door to be slammed shut and only stood up when there was no sound coming from upstairs other than Clem’s incessant pacing around. He buttoned his shirt as he looked for his boots. He had to get out of there as quickly as possible.

*****************************************************

Buffy nervously twirled the wooden stake in her small hand scanning the graveyard. As she mechanically went through the motions of slaying, her mind refused to forget the events that had happen earlier that day. "He’s back…" she thought. "and he didn’t tell me.". She had returned to the crypt with Clem and Giles, but the librarian had insisted he’d speak to the vampire alone. So, she had stayed put like a good little Slayer and had waited for her watcher. When he had returned he had said nothing, merely nodded and pointed in the door’s direction. Without a word, they made their way towards the centre of town, where they parted ways.

Now, she was back in the cemetery and all she seemed to think about was that dammed vampire. "Stop thinking about him!" she ordered herself, but it was no use, she knew she had to see him. With long strides she made her way to his home.

As she reached the heavy door that bared the way to the crypt, she knocked lightly.

"Who is it?" She heard Clem’s voice.

"It’s me, Buffy." She answered opening the door and sneaking her head inside. "Can I come in?"

"Sure." As she entered she saw the demon sitting in the armchair and staring at the black and white TV. "Make yourself at home."

"I’m here to speak to Spike." She said with her gaze buried in the ground as she made her way to the lower compartment.

"He’s not down there." Clem said turning to face her, but never leaving the chair.

"Where is he then?" she asked.

"He left."


Continue