part 5: "if only you knew"
Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
Sakura Taisen was created by Ooji Hiroi-sensei; all rights reserved to Sega, Red Company, & Bandai Visual
This fanfiction is by Jill

Smite the Best Man - Oogami-san you must choose
Part 5 : "If only you knew"


The clock read a bit after 1 AM. The party had ended at midnight and together they brought all the dishes and food into the kitchen, leaving the rest of the mess to clear tomorrow. After locking up all the entrances, Kaede was finally allowed to go to her room. After a yawn, she sat on her bed and stretched her arms.

'It's a month before the wedding... just four weeks...' she thought, turning to the white dress spread out on her favorite armchair, '...but...why do I feel uneasy...?'

All of a sudden, the windows burst open. "Konbawa~!" chimed a cheerful voice. Hanging upside down, still wearing tuxedo and energetic as ever, Kayama waved at her. "I thought I'd stop by... since I was in the neighborhood... TOH!" He then leaped inside, making a soft landing in front of her.

"Yuichi!" she cried frantically as he shut the window to keep the breeze out, "W-What are you doing here? You know if Yoneda caught you, he'd chase after you with a rifle again!"

"Daijoubu daijoubu! The old man is passed out drunk in his room. I checked!" he replied, going to sit next to her, "Just wanted to talk to you before I leave tomorrow morning. I've got some business to take care of at the military base in Kyuushu. That'll be four days without by beloved Kaede-chan... maa maa, what a tormented situation!"

She smiled a little, leaning her head against his shoulder. "At least you'll be with your other love, the ocean... you won't be terribly miserable. And I'm a kinematron call away. You can hear my voice anytime you want."

"Aa..." he uttered, "But it's like they say - 'The sounds of the sea are beautiful... but, only if you listen, with a loved one in mind.' I'll be thinking of you during my trip, Kaede, and I hope everything will be okay while I'm gone."

"Don't worry. Even though I have duties to attend to at the Hana-Yashiki... with Oogami-kun here, I'm sure the wedding preparations will run smoothly. Please take care of your business with ease, Yuichi."

Kayama's eyes moved to the dress. "Is that the lovely garment this lovely girl will be wearing on my auspicious day??"

"Eh, sou desu." she replied, as he got up to examine it, "It's been passed down through the family from my grandmother. My mother wore it on her wedding day... shikashi, I always thought that my elder sister would be the one to use it..." Her voice trailed off and she found herself gazing at the floor. 'Ayame-neesan...'

"You miss your sister, don't you?" he asked, going to kneel in front of her, "I've never met Ayame-san before, but from what I hear, she was a wonderful person..."

"She was... demo..." She cupped his face and smiled. "I don't miss so much, because I have you, Yuichi. And sometimes, you remind me of her."

"Eh?? How so??"

"Well, you're witty and always giving such wise advice. You hold a perspective that others cannot grasp. You stay calm in any situation, and you're dedicated in anything you do."

"Heh, you do all of those things too, Kaede!" he laughed, "But I'm glad that I resemble someone precious to you. Soushite, I'll do my best to fill that emptiness left behind by Ayame-san... Even as the last of the Fujieda, you won't feel alone in the world. The Teigeki and I... we're your family."

"Yuichi..." Kaede uttered, blushing.

He took her hands and kissed them, then stood up and turned for the window. "Maa maa maa! It's already 1:15!! I've got to get up early to see the ocean~! Take care, Kaede! Give my regards to Oogami! ...TOH!"

Kaede got up to close the window. Her heart was still heavy with worry. Gazing out at the night, she couldn't see him anymore. She slowly turned to the wedding dress, holding her kissed hand to her face. 'Yuichi...'

* * *
"This way!!" Tsubaki called, dragging along her two other Kazegumi members. They were already in their nightgowns, but were roaming around the first floor in the dark. Tsubaki had heard a noise and went to check it out. That was when she needed her two friends with her. "Jaa... I think she went in here!"

"Who's still up at this hour??" Yuri yawned as they peered into the dim kitchen. There was a single candle on, and the sound of gulping. "Heh?? Sakura-san??"

Sakura, still in her evening gown, was sitting at the table with a bottle of sake in her hand. From the looks of it, she had been crying, the streams of tears still lined on her cheeks. She didn't look like she would stop chugging, as the entire bottle was her object. Kasumi and Yuri quickly went over and pried it from her hands, holding her still.

"Demo!!" she sobbed, "Leave me alone! Leave me alone!!"

"Sakura-san... what happened??" Tsubaki asked.

"She was acting fine at the party." Yuri noted, thinking hard, "Masaka... did some guy try to pick you up at the party's end??"

Kasumi sighed. "Yuri-kun, this is hardly the time to consider scandals. Although, I'm sure you're digging deep for dirt this month, you aren't going to get any from Sakura-san. Her record is as clean as they come."

Sakura gazed into the candle sadly. "Actually, I've lied to all of you..." At these words, the three turned and stared at her. Sakura's brown eyes watered. "I lied to everyone..."

"Sakura-san, what are you saying??" Tsubaki asked, "Lied about what??"

"Last New Years, I didn't go home... I- I went to Paris..." she uttered, "I wasn't as strong as I thought I'd be. Being away from Oogami-san for over a year, it was so difficult. And after that battle, I wanted to see him so badly. I didn't care how much it cost or what lies I had to tell, I just needed to go to him. I didn't even tell Oogami-san; I kept thinking this surprise would make him happy."

Tsubaki replied, "That isn't a terrible lie. I'm sure Manager Yoneda and Kaede-san didn't mind. We all took leave at New Years, regardless of where we were going. Even though you were late coming home, no one suspected anything or would probably hold it against you."

Yuri was more interested in other things. "Waaaw! You secretly went to go see Oogami-san by yourself?? How did it turn out?? Was he happy to see you??"

Sakura clutched at her dress and bit back at her tears. "When I arrived there... it was cold and cloudy. I was so lost on the streets of Paris and mugged twice. When I finally reached his apartment, it was already evening. I was soaked and freezing... demo I wanted to see Oogami-san so badly... just as I was approaching his place, I saw a taxi arrive..."

(Flashback)
Sakura stood by the streetlight, a couple feet away from the taxi. The drizzle had become downpour. Out of the taxi came a couple. Oogami opened an umbrella and held it over their heads, then slid his arm around the woman. Laughing, the two rushed to the building for cover. In the entrance, the woman kissed him on the lips and then went with him inside. Sakura stepped out in shock as she saw a light go on upstairs, and then shortly go out.

She stood there for a few more hours... until she broke down into tears and decided to go home.

(back in the present)
"Masaka!!" Kasumi exclaimed, "I can't believe Oogami-san would do such a thing! How could this had happened??!"

Yuri rubbed her chin. "Who knew Oogami-san hadn't given up his playing, even on duty in Paris. Tsk tsk. And who was this French tramp he was with?? And how could he take her into his apartment with Sakura-san watching?!"

"Oogami-san probably didn't know Sakura-san was watching." Tsubaki stammered, trying to remain calm. But she too was shocked by the story. Still, she tried to stay optimistic, as that was what she was best at. "This doesn't at all excuse Oogami-san's actions. For him to be unfaithful like that while you two were separated, after declaring undying devotion before he left... Sakura-san, at least you found out about it before it got covered up."

Sakura put her head down on the table, "That's what I thought at the time... that I was fortunate to have found out before he came back and we'd go on as before, deeply in love as if nothing happened. Getting over Oogami-san was the hardest thing I could do. Demo, seeing him again, all this pain has returned. I can't even look at him without a strained face..."

Kasumi put a sympathetic hand on her shoulder, "Sakura-san, you'll be all right. You'll get through this. As for Oogami-san, I won't forgive him for what he's done. But these types of feelings will spoil the Kayama-san and Kaede-san's wedding, so we must have peace for now. One thing for sure, we won't let anyone else know about this!"

"NANI!?" Yuri exclaimed, her eyes wide, "This is the greatest scandal to come to the Teigeki in months! Of course we have to let people know!! It's our duty as the Teigeki Sannin Musume!!"

Tsubaki shook her. "Iie. We can't let anyone know. It'll bring a lot of shame and embarrassment to Sakura-san. And she doesn't need anymore pain to deal with." She then smiled at Sakura. "Daijoubu, Sakura-san! Your secret is safe with us!"

"Arigatou, minna-sama..." she uttered, bowing her head.

"Waaah, demo Sakura-san... you drank more than half of this sake bottle and you're not drunk or anything??"

Sakura smiled slightly. "In the country we drink lots of sake. I'm kind of immune to its effects. Demo, in the city, I try to stay away from it. It's not natural for a lady to drink as much as her commanding officers."

Tsubaki scratched her head and sighed, "Someone better tell that to Sumire-san..."

* * *
In the morning, Takeshi was walking around on the second floor. He suddenly bumped into someone. "Uwaah, sumimasen!" he stammered. But then he realized who it was. "Aa! Orihime-san, Ohayou!" he gasped, rubbing his head.

"Ohayou gozaima~su!" Orihime replied cheerfully, "What brings you here so early in the morning, Takeshi-san?"

"I was looking for Sakura. She told me she would take me site seeing today. Demo, she's not in her room."

"O~oh, datte Sakura-san went with Kaede-san to pick up the menu from the caterer. She's be back in an hour or so since Kaede-san has a meeting at the Hana-Yashiki today."

"Sou ka." he uttered, "Jaa... I guess I came too early."

"Iie, you came in time, Takeshi-san. Breakfast is being served downstairs. Ikimashou~?"

Just then a door flew open, scaring the both of them. "Oh...ha...yo..." said a groggy Sumire, who was still in her robe, her eyes partially shut and hair a mess. She had an immense hangover for her night of partying, but the sound of cheerful voices outside her room had made her get up. "Maa, you two are chummy this morning. Oh ho ho ho!"

Orihime crossed her arms, glaring at her. "What are you talking a~bout, Sumire-san~? He's just some Japanese man. I'm trying to be as polite as I can!"

"Polite? I think you like this Japanese man."

"Eto..." Takeshi stammered, as the two were talking about him as if he wasn't even there.

"Why would I like a Japanese man?! No, I would never! The only exception is Papa! Don't even consider it, Sumire-san!" Orihime snapped. She then left in a huff.

Sumire sleepily gazed after her. "Ara, isn't she a bit too touchy." She yawned and then went back into her room. Takeshi shrugged and went downstairs.

* * *
Where the cafeteria would be, there was just a great mess. Kanna and Maria had gotten up early and together carried two tables upstairs. "Minna, we'll get started with the cleaning as soon as breakfast is over." Maria noted as Kanna brought out the breakfast they had cooked.

"Yossha, have your fill! We've got a lot of work to do!!" Kanna chimed, "Maria and I can't do everything, so you've gotta get pumped up for the work ahead."

Kohran wiped her glasses, moaning, "Aaan, two days in a row of heavy work. I suppose it can't be helped. Now if someone could drag Sumire-han into doing something useful. I bet she's still in bed. Yoneda is also out, naa?"

"Wai wai!" Airisu quickly snagged the seat next to Oogami, "Onii-chan, let Airisu feed you." she said, forking a piece of fish.

"Heh??!" Oogami stammered. He had almost forgotten about his responsibility to choose who was to be the maid of honor. He could sense the awareness coming back to the other girls.

"Taichou, is my cooking all right??" Kanna asked, her flushed face suddenly appearing in front of him. "Eat four or five servings okay?"

Oogami couldn't answer. His mouth was full, as Airisu kept feeding him. At last he couldn't take anymore and started choking. "Taichou, you need a glass of water??" Reni asked, moving into the picture.

"IIE!" Airisu snapped, "RE-NI!! Dame yo!! Onii-chan is with Airisu, don't try to interfere!!"

"D-demo..."

Kohran then popped up. "Yossha!! Let me perform the Heimlich on Oogami-han!"

Maria rubbed her head as she watched the girls fight over the choking Oogami. Next to her, she noticed that the Sannin Musume were all glaring towards the scene. Wondering what was up, she decided to investigate. "What's going on?"

Yuri opened her mouth to say something, but the other two grabbed her and covered her mouth. "It's nothing, Maria-san!" Tsubaki gasped nervously, "We're just tired... that's all!"

"Hmm, to think that you still have to run the business office while also helping with the wedding preparations. That's a lot of work for you three."

Yuri finally broke free, but all she could do is sigh. "Mou, you mean I'll be stuck in the office all this time, with the latest gossip!! Oh, this is torture!!"

Kasumi shoved her aside and smiled towards Maria, "Ehehehe! Forgive Yuri-kun... she didn't have her tea this morning!"

* * *
So everyone went to work. In the meanwhile, Oogami did his best to avoid the girls. He just wanted to be left alone for the time being. When he found that the cafeteria had been deserted, he went to work in that area. But as he lifted a bag of trash, the girls heard him and came running.

"Oogami-han/Taichou/Chuui-san/ONII-CHAAAN!!"

In the next instant he was surrounded. Their voices were loud in his ear and hands pulling at his limps. He didn't seem to care. Gazing off into space, he was lost in his thoughts.

'What is she talking about?! There was no other woman!! Well, there were women in Paris - and I was Taichou for a butai of women, but that's not my fault! Where does she get off blaming me?? She's the one who broke our promise and didn't wait for me - she even has a new boyfriend! She's the one who's in the wrong, not me!'

"Oi oi!" Yoneda exclaimed, walking down the stairs, "What's going on here?? Have all you girlies gone mad?! Leave poor Oogami alone! He looks like he's dying or something!" The old man came towards them as they lined up silently in military form. "That's more like it. Now, I just received a strange call... it seems Kaede-kun didn't show up at her meeting."

"Heh? She didn't show?" Kohran asked, "That doesn't sound like Kaede-han."

Maria glanced at her watch, "She's two hours late, and if the Hana-Yashiki is calling, then it must be a serious meeting. Manager, is there any reason to Kaede-san's absence."

"Iya, I haven't a clue." Yoneda muttered, "Didn't you all say she went with Sakura to pick up the menus early this morning? Shouldn't they be back by now?"

Airisu frowned and squeezed Jean-Paul tightly. "Nee, this is a strange situation. Airisu has a bad feeling."

Reni put her hand on her shoulder, trying to comfort her, "Daijoubu, it's probably nothing. Maybe they got side-tracked somewhere..."

Kanna put her hands on her hips. "Let's try calling. Kaede has a kinematron on her always."

"It's turned off." Yoneda explained, "I've tried to reach her, but the gal won't let me through."

All of a sudden, the front doors burst open and Sakura came running from the lobby. "Minna-sama! Taihen desu!!" she cried, "Terrible news!!" Everyone turned towards her frantic face as she clutched at her kimono. "Kaede-san... she's gone!"

* * * * *
Preview!

Sumire: A~ra! With the wedding just four weeks away, the unexpected happens! I for one don't mind the drama, but everyone is being very negative about it. Just because the bride is missing and the best man has quit, doesn't mean to just give up!

"Stubborn Persistence" next time on Sakura Taisen! A storm of Romance in Taishou Sakura!

Chuui... do you really want it to end like this? Well, not me!


onto part 6
back to part 4